Atheism requires as much faith as rel...

Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

There are 255502 comments on the Webbunny tumblelog story from Jul 18, 2009, titled Atheism requires as much faith as religion?. In it, Webbunny tumblelog reports that:

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Webbunny tumblelog.

“I started out with nothing”

Since: Nov 10

and still got most of it left

#236101 Sep 3, 2014
Thinking wrote:
I can't help it if Evolution made me generous.
:)
<quoted text>
Why does evolution never have the same effect on godbots?
Thinking

Glasgow, UK

#236102 Sep 3, 2014
Thank you.

But why would I want to make consenting sodomy illegal?
I don't own a motorbike but I don't want to make motorcycling illegal.
KiMare wrote:
<quoted text>
Oh how clever, did you think of that all by yourself?
Since you agree, join the move to make sodomy illegal again.
Smirk.
Eagle 12

Edwardsville, IL

#236103 Sep 3, 2014
ChristineM wrote:
<quoted text>
You sanctimonious and hateful moron, you lie because you know no better and then you lie and try belittling me because I attempt to educate you. Those words are well earned, you should wear them with the prude of a lying godbot if little intelligence
Tell me what was your (taxable) charitable donation last year...
You wouldn't believe me if I told you.
Eagle 12

Edwardsville, IL

#236104 Sep 3, 2014
A lot has been said about scientist & atheism. There are many Christian Scientist that have outstanding careers. Take Robert Bakker for example.

Robert Thomas Bakker (born March 24, 1945) is an American paleontologist who helped reshape modern theories about dinosaurs, particularly by adding support to the theory that some dinosaurs were endothermic (warm-blooded).[1] Along with his mentor John Ostrom, Bakker was responsible for initiating the ongoing "dinosaur renaissance" in paleontological studies, beginning with Bakker's article "Dinosaur Renaissance". Scientific American. April 1975. His special field is the ecological context and behavior of dinosaurs.

Bakker has been a major proponent of the theory that dinosaurs were "warm-blooded," smart, fast and adaptable. He published his first paper on dinosaur endothermy in 1968. His seminal work, The Dinosaur Heresies, was published in 1986. He revealed the first evidence of parental care at nesting sites for Allosaurus. Bakker was among the advisors for the film Jurassic Park and for the 1992 PBS series, The Dinosaurs. He also observed evidence in support of Eldredge's and Gould's theory of punctuated equilibrium in dinosaur populations. Bakker currently serves as the Curator of Paleontology for the Houston Museum of Natural Science.

An Ecumenical Christian minister, Bakker has said there is no real conflict between religion and science. He has advised non-believers and creationists to read the views put forward by Saint Augustine, who argued against a literal understanding of the Book of Genesis. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robert_T._Bakker

#236105 Sep 3, 2014
Eagle 12 wrote:
<quoted text>
You wouldn't believe me if I told you.
Correct, you have not spoken a truthful word to date, what break the habit of a lifetime

#236106 Sep 3, 2014
Eagle 12 wrote:
A lot has been said about scientist & atheism. There are many Christian Scientist that have outstanding careers. Take Robert Bakker for example.
Robert Thomas Bakker (born March 24, 1945) is an American paleontologist who helped reshape modern theories about dinosaurs, particularly by adding support to the theory that some dinosaurs were endothermic (warm-blooded).[1] Along with his mentor John Ostrom, Bakker was responsible for initiating the ongoing "dinosaur renaissance" in paleontological studies, beginning with Bakker's article "Dinosaur Renaissance". Scientific American. April 1975. His special field is the ecological context and behavior of dinosaurs.
Bakker has been a major proponent of the theory that dinosaurs were "warm-blooded," smart, fast and adaptable. He published his first paper on dinosaur endothermy in 1968. His seminal work, The Dinosaur Heresies, was published in 1986. He revealed the first evidence of parental care at nesting sites for Allosaurus. Bakker was among the advisors for the film Jurassic Park and for the 1992 PBS series, The Dinosaurs. He also observed evidence in support of Eldredge's and Gould's theory of punctuated equilibrium in dinosaur populations. Bakker currently serves as the Curator of Paleontology for the Houston Museum of Natural Science.
An Ecumenical Christian minister, Bakker has said there is no real conflict between religion and science. He has advised non-believers and creationists to read the views put forward by Saint Augustine, who argued against a literal understanding of the Book of Genesis. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robert_T._Bakker
And still 93% of members of the NAS have no personal belief in god

Same sort of figure applies for members of the Royal Academy
Thinking

Glasgow, UK

#236107 Sep 3, 2014
I also agree religion should yield to science.
Eagle 12 wrote:
Eagle 12

Edwardsville, IL

#236108 Sep 3, 2014
Thinking wrote:
I also agree religion should yield to science.
<quoted text>
Most people of faith embrace real science. It is not something we are afraid of.

Now we differ on speculative pseudo science. Science that is unproven and is imaginary.
School Lad

United States

#236109 Sep 3, 2014
ChristineM wrote:
<quoted text>
Probably by your reckoning but really I am through atheist and out the other side, it’s not that I believe there is no deity, I know it.
Prove it. The christian abuse of the word love is a very poignant topic on this thread at the moment.
Probably biogenesis but really unknown and I am really comfortable in myself with not saying “doh... don’t know so I guess it must have been my god ____ wotdunitwiv magic”. And there you have a choice of over 2400 creator gods you can use to fill in the blank.
Yes several times, 3 times cover to cover and too many individual chapters/pages/verse to count. Have you?
No, it will teach lies and hatred and genocide and violence and rape and slavery and theft and subjugation... you want verse numbers?
Petty much like most other places but more crowded and with more rain than many
Yes, and Burger King and KFC so don’t worry, your obsession with obesity inducing food can continue if you cross the pond.
Depends which country I am in.
I think I understand what you mean and the answer is yes. Note here is a much needed geography lesson, the UK is in Europe
I don’t
Blessed by what, a bronze age myth or a terrorist who was crucified for his crimes or juts your personal wish?
If you still follow the babble then I really doubt your last statement but there is hope.
How did life and planets start??

“KiMare'a the Monster Mutation”

Location hidden

#236110 Sep 3, 2014
ChristineM wrote:
<quoted text>
First you take credit for something you plagiarized and then you want to ignore abuse?

What are you thinking?

Smirk.
Thinking

Glasgow, UK

#236111 Sep 3, 2014
That's a shame. I'd prefer it if you also dismissed pseudo sciences such intelligent design and homeopathy.
Eagle 12 wrote:
<quoted text>
Most people of faith embrace real science. It is not something we are afraid of.
Now we differ on speculative pseudo science. Science that is unproven and is imaginary.
Thinking

Glasgow, UK

#236112 Sep 3, 2014
as ^
Thinking

Glasgow, UK

#236113 Sep 3, 2014
Ask your teacher, school lad.
School Lad wrote:
<quoted text>
How did life and planets start??
Thinking

Glasgow, UK

#236114 Sep 3, 2014
Not sure. Some of them seem awfully old?

Today we have less crime.
Less teenage pregnancies.
Less religion.

The old guard's demographic will fix its intolerant self soon enough.
ChristineM wrote:
<quoted text>

“KiMare'a the Monster Mutation”

Location hidden

#236115 Sep 3, 2014
Thinking wrote:
Thank you.
But why would I want to make consenting sodomy illegal?
I don't own a motorbike but I don't want to make motorcycling illegal.
<quoted text>
First you take credit for something you plagiarized and then you want to ignore abuse?

What are you thinking?

Smirk.
Thinking

Glasgow, UK

#236116 Sep 3, 2014
I'm thinking you're too retarded to reply to the correct post.

Berk.
KiMare wrote:
<quoted text>
What are you thinking?
Smirk.
religionislies

London, UK

#236117 Sep 3, 2014
KiMare wrote:
<quoted text>
What are you thinking?
Smirk.
We're thinking - what an idiot for trying to talk without having any evidence of god... duh.
Thinking

Glasgow, UK

#236118 Sep 3, 2014
I just saw kimare responded to the wrong post!

Topix's reformat clearly isn't a friend of aged bigots like him...
ChristineM wrote:
<quoted text>

“let's do this thang!”

Since: Aug 10

Location hidden

#236119 Sep 3, 2014
ChristineM wrote:
<quoted text>
Perhaps the only thing he thinks
He certainly has not shown any inclination to thought in any other matter.
How do these people survive the rigours of the real world?
hi! why are you so angry?:-(

“let's do this thang!”

Since: Aug 10

Location hidden

#236120 Sep 3, 2014
ChristineM wrote:
<quoted text>
evolution is an extemely racist and genocidal religion; it supposes that black people are less evolved than lighter skinned. is this why you subscribe to it, freuline gertrude?;-)

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

NCAA Basketball Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
What role do you think humans play in global wa... (Sep '14) 55 min Into The Night 9,802
News Thousands Protest Roe V. Wade Decision (Jan '08) 1 hr Brian_G 311,325
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 4 hr Yeah 1,394,707
News UCLA FOOTBALL NOTEBOOK: Neuheisel says Prince w... (Sep '10) 19 hr Bruin For Life 32,288
News What they're saying about Bulls draft pick Bobb... (Jun '15) Jun 20 Tretre 6
News Judge overturns California's ban on same-sex ma... (Aug '10) Jun 13 Dump Trump 201,862
I got my loan from [email protected] (Jun '13) Jun 6 James Harry 41
More from around the web