Atheism requires as much faith as rel...

Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

There are 243371 comments on the Webbunny tumblelog story from Jul 18, 2009, titled Atheism requires as much faith as religion?. In it, Webbunny tumblelog reports that:

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Webbunny tumblelog.

CunningLinguist

Orlando, FL

#235575 Aug 27, 2014
Believer wrote:
In the beginning ,God , created the heavens and the earth !!!!
Now I know I am not the best speller in the world and get ridiculed for that sometimes !!!
But let's understand the bigger picture!
We've hard hard you can't get something from nothing !
Atheists claim this is the case and ridicule believers with faith that their is in fact God!!
Unbeliever

If anyone with a decent background in natural science who undertakes an impartial but critical look at the first chapter of Genesis should have no trouble denouncing its claims as complete rubbish.

At best, the author has offered a poorly constructed allegory for the creation of the universe; at worst, and far more plausible, Genesis 1 is a total fabrication.

The why... the creation account in the opening chapter fails miserably to be scientifically accurate.

Early in the creation, God allegedly separated the waters into two distinct bodies so that land could appear between them. He called the water below seas and the water above sky, which he presumably held aloft by the use of a firmament (Verses 6-10).

It reinforces the aforementioned idea of a sky ocean because a solid protective layer would be required to suspend the water if there truly were an ocean above us as the Bible suggests.
It complements the known widespread primitive beliefs.

Take the mindset of an ancient Hebrew for a moment by ignoring any contemporary understanding you have of the world.

You can glance at the sky above and observe that it’s the color of water, while, periodically, water falls from above.

With no further evidence to consider and no further understanding of this phenomenon, the perfectly logical conclusion would be that there’s a mass of water in the sky. If this is true, it certainly follows that a solid body, a firmament, would be necessary to contain this oceanic reservoir. Perhaps windows even open in the firmament to allow rainfall (Genesis 8:2).

Although the pursuit of knowledge has proven these outdated beliefs untrue, we are far richer in scientific understanding than our Hebrew predecessors and should not scoff at the author for his proposal.

We now know that the sky is blue due to the scattering of a particular wavelength of light passing through the atmosphere at a certain angle, not because there’s an ocean in the sky. While we cannot fault the author for believing this ancient hypothesis, we can conclude that his guess on the properties of the sky was incorrect.

Already, a critical analysis has demonstrated the Bible to be scientifically inaccurate and undeniably imperfect.

So sad that
CunningLinguist

Orlando, FL

#235576 Aug 27, 2014
macumazahn wrote:
<quoted text> "And then God said: http://tinyurl.com/l5o6jef
Good one!

Mickey Mouse and Minnie Mouse were in divorce court and the judge said to Mickey, "You say here that your wife is crazy." Mickey replied, "No I didn't. I said she is f**king Goofy."
--
Saint Peter wanted a day off, so he asked Jesus to cover for him on Pearly Gates duty. Jesus asked, "how do I do that?" Peter replied, "It's easy. Ask each supplicant why he or she wants admission to Heaven. You can usually tell from their response what your decision should be."

So Peter takes his holiday and Jesus works the Pearly Gates gig. And as predicted, it turns out to be fairly easy. Busy, but nothing too complicated. Finally Jesus is down to the last potential angel, a strangely familiar older man.

Jesus asks him, "My son, why do you wish to be allowed into Heaven?"

The old man was silent for a long moment. He sighed deeply, looked up at Jesus and slowly said,

"I never had a child of my own. But for a short time, I was blessed with a miraculous boy whom I raised as if he was my own son. He was taken from me far too soon and my life was never the same. That is why I want to get into Heaven, to see my long lost son one more time. That's all I ask."

As Jesus listens, the feeling of recognition keeps getting stronger and finally, overcome with emotion, Christ tearfully exclaims, "Father???"

To which the man excitedly replies, "Pinocchio???"
CunningLinguist

Orlando, FL

#235577 Aug 27, 2014
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
Hey, sissy boy, you never got back to me about those questions I asked a few days ago.
I see we have another kimare with the word sissy as is that word would mean something to an adult.

It's a Juvenile response from a juvenile mind, Dave

Reply with something of interest or I will dismiss you as I do others that I find boring, reality challenged, allergic to truth, and thus pointless to 'reply to'.

I do find enjoyment in replying sarcastically about people I've dismissed with others.:-/

Why just the mention of their name drives them into a fit !
Pure entertainment for me.
The more venomous the better it makes it all the more funny., And it displays the horrid characteristics of these people. They embarrass themselves publicly.

Disclaimer: All spelling errors made by Siri are deliberately left in for my amusement, they are forgiven, will go to paradise and receive 72 dictionaries.

I am an equal opportunity skeptic.

I find all religions to be nothing more than superstition.

I post my opinion and comment.
I have no agenda to pursue.

Enjoy your faith if brings you happiness.
CunningLinguist

Orlando, FL

#235578 Aug 27, 2014
Eagle 12 wrote:
<quoted text>
Agnosticism & Atheism is the religion of hopelessness.
This is why there are so few charities in the name of Agnosticism -Atheism.
The religion that promotes it’s hopeless message while decrying those that promote benevolence, hope, love.
Is this the love you're talking about?

"If any man come to me, and HATE not his father, and mother, and wife, and children, and brethren, and sisters, yea, and his own life also, he cannot be my disciple".--Luke 14:26

No thank you.

I know you're a Bible expert, Eagle
I like to know about your mythology please explain.

Is the Bible the world's first instruction manual on how to properly care for and treat slaves?

Was Adam black or white?

Did Noah(it all)'s family consist of multiple racial types?

As I look around our wonderful world I see many species of Homo sapiens. Evolution describes the reason for this.

What's your reason?

Since: Sep 08

United States

#235579 Aug 27, 2014
CunningLinguist wrote:
<quoted text>
Unbeliever
If anyone with a decent background in natural science who undertakes an impartial but critical look at the first chapter of Genesis should have no trouble denouncing its claims as complete rubbish.
At best, the author has offered a poorly constructed allegory for the creation of the universe; at worst, and far more plausible, Genesis 1 is a total fabrication.
The why... the creation account in the opening chapter fails miserably to be scientifically accurate.
Early in the creation, God allegedly separated the waters into two distinct bodies so that land could appear between them. He called the water below seas and the water above sky, which he presumably held aloft by the use of a firmament (Verses 6-10).
It reinforces the aforementioned idea of a sky ocean because a solid protective layer would be required to suspend the water if there truly were an ocean above us as the Bible suggests.
It complements the known widespread primitive beliefs.
Take the mindset of an ancient Hebrew for a moment by ignoring any contemporary understanding you have of the world.
You can glance at the sky above and observe that it’s the color of water, while, periodically, water falls from above.
With no further evidence to consider and no further understanding of this phenomenon, the perfectly logical conclusion would be that there’s a mass of water in the sky. If this is true, it certainly follows that a solid body, a firmament, would be necessary to contain this oceanic reservoir. Perhaps windows even open in the firmament to allow rainfall (Genesis 8:2).
Although the pursuit of knowledge has proven these outdated beliefs untrue, we are far richer in scientific understanding than our Hebrew predecessors and should not scoff at the author for his proposal.
We now know that the sky is blue due to the scattering of a particular wavelength of light passing through the atmosphere at a certain angle, not because there’s an ocean in the sky. While we cannot fault the author for believing this ancient hypothesis, we can conclude that his guess on the properties of the sky was incorrect.
Already, a critical analysis has demonstrated the Bible to be scientifically inaccurate and undeniably imperfect.
So sad that
Weak attempt, sport.

Water vapor is pretty universal.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abundance_of_t...

Note the abundance of hydrogen and oxygen in the universe. Fire them up and you have water. Water vapor is found on all planets and even in the solar atmosphere. It even floats around in space.

United States

#235580 Aug 27, 2014
CunningLinguist wrote:
<quoted text>
I see we have another kimare with the word sissy as is that word would mean something to an adult.
Reply with something of interest or I will dismiss you as I do others that I find boring, reality challenged, allergic to truth, and thus pointless to 'reply to'.
I do find enjoyment in replying sarcastically about people I've dismissed with others.:-/
The more venomous the better it makes it all the more funny., And it displays the horrid characteristics of these people. They embarrass themselves publicly.
Disclaimer: All spelling errors made by Siri are deliberately left in for my amusement, they are forgiven, will go to paradise and receive 72 dictionaries.
You are a sissy boy with delusions of grandeur. You dance away like a girl playing queen of the ball escaping the time to put out with a giggle and a Ta Ta. A scaredy cat.

We will be gentle with you, sweetie. Trust us.
CunningLinguist

Orlando, FL

#235581 Aug 27, 2014
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
Weak attempt, sport.
Water vapor is pretty universal.
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abundance_of_t...
Note the abundance of hydrogen and oxygen in the universe. Fire them up and you have water. Water vapor is found on all planets and even in the solar atmosphere. It even floats around in space.
Reading comprehension would help you greatly.

If you were serious about science you would abandon your religion.u

"God is an ever receding pocket of scientific ignorance."
~ Neil DeGrasse Tyson

Stupid design...

https://m.youtube.com/watch...
CunningLinguist

Orlando, FL

#235582 Aug 27, 2014
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
You are a sissy boy with delusions of grandeur. You dance away like a girl playing queen of the ball escaping the time to put out with a giggle and a Ta Ta. A scaredy cat.
We will be gentle with you, sweetie. Trust us.
You have been dismissed due a lack of interest.

Algún día serás la mitad del hombre que su madre ya está

Pensé que te va a gustar esta respuesta juvenil ya que usted es el menor!

vaya con Dios

United States

#235583 Aug 27, 2014
CunningLinguist wrote:
<quoted text>
You have been dismissed due a lack of interest.
Algún día serás la mitad del hombre que su madre ya está
Pensé que te va a gustar esta respuesta juvenil ya que usted es el menor!
vaya con Dios
Toodleyoo to you, too, Princess.

“KiMare'a the Monster Mutation”

Since: Nov 10

Location hidden

#235584 Aug 27, 2014
macumazahn wrote:
<quoted text>You're being disingenuous.
It's in Matt's version of the same story, starting at 21:19.(Luke and John seem to have had urgent business in the South...)
"Seeing a fig tree by the road, he went up to it but found nothing on it except leaves. Then he said to it, "May you never bear fruit again!" Immediately the tree withered."
And figs managed to propagate themselves just fine without grafting for maybe 80 million years. Of COURSE sSeed from grafted plants won't breed true! Ever tried to grow an edible orange from a pip?
If God expects trees he made to be fruitful, imagine what He expects from people He made!

Smile.

Since: Aug 14

Location hidden

#235586 Aug 27, 2014
CunningLinguist wrote:
<quoted text>
Give the bull a fighting chance put steel pointed tips on its horns,
I always root for the bull.
I want to see the Matador disemboweled in front of the crowd.
In the triumph of bull it run amok through the crowd. Gorging every human site.
After all it's doomed to die anyway why not take out a few of its torturers.

......It also does a world of good when the ' cock ' from the fight
pecks the eye out of his master as he is lifted in triumph.

Ps:......The bull gets its just reward when the foolish crowds decide
to ' run ' with it through the streets. Its just delicious to see the
goring that happens to the miscreants who are there for nothing
else, but to see blood.

.....the same as those out to see a boxing match around the corner.

Tuco Blondie
CunningLinguist

Orlando, FL

#235587 Aug 27, 2014
Tuco Blondie wrote:
<quoted text>.....
......It also does a world of good when the ' cock ' from the fight
pecks the eye out of his master as he is lifted in triumph.
Ps:......The bull gets its just reward when the foolish crowds decide
to ' run ' with it through the streets. Its just delicious to see the
goring that happens to the miscreants who are there for nothing
else, but to see blood.
.....the same as those out to see a boxing match around the corner.
Tuco Blondie
I don't have a problem with humans deciding that they want to batter one another, whether that be a boxing ring, a Cage or a football field whatever

They have a brain and presumably can use it.

I draw the line however on animals.
They don't understand what's in store for them, humans force them to behave unnaturally for amusement and then fight to the death.

Animal cruelty at its finest for profit.

Yes indeed the "running of the bulls "in Spain would be much more interesting if...

They used those fighting bulls, fitted with the armor similar to that used on horses in the days of old when knights were bold and maidens so fair...

Horns wrapped in razor wire with steel tips designed to rip and gorge, run through all those pretty white clothed, red bandanna fools in the street.

Now that would be entertainment and plenty of blood to sooth those who can't get enough of it.

“Filia Spartacus”

Since: Jun 13

Libertas

#235588 Aug 28, 2014
Thinking wrote:
"believer" used the word "prey" instead of "pray".
How Freudian.
<quoted text>
That's what a lot of churches are like. Now, let us prey.

“Filia Spartacus”

Since: Jun 13

Libertas

#235589 Aug 28, 2014
CunningLinguist wrote:
<quoted text>
It's all playground stuff. Shows our Kirschmann's mental age.
:-)

Since: Aug 14

Auckland, New Zealand

#235590 Aug 28, 2014
Soon we english gonna colonize and will teach the world religion of sex

“KiMare'a the Monster Mutation”

Location hidden

#235592 Aug 28, 2014
CunningLinguist wrote:
Adventures in religion 1
Souls n Such
We have a baby who unfortunately died, say, one day after birth.
For those who believe in souls and an afterlife, what will happen to this baby's soul?
Roman Catholics were really stumped by this, and for centuries maintained that the baby's soul would go to "Limbo" which is/was the abode of just or innocent souls that were excluded from heaven, but not consigned to hell. They've since cancelled Limbo, which leaves you wondering about all its millions of inhabitants.
Hmmm. Hope they're okay. Giggles
Protestants generally had no answer at all for un-baptized babies and said that "God will work it out."
Well, if that's true, why bother with baptism to begin with?
Why not just let God work it out?
For those who believe in reincarnation, there's really no problem with infant deaths. Their souls will be on their way to a new life a tad early, to be sure, but on their way nevertheless.
Gosh, where can I get your theology book???

How many followers do you have honey???

Gotta love those 'rational atheist' oxymorons!

Snicker smile.

“I started out with nothing”

and still got most of it left

#235593 Aug 28, 2014
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
:-)
Memsaab Christine.
That makes you feel good, doesn't it? Makes you feel appreciated.
No, not really

“Rising”

Since: Dec 10

Milky Way

#235594 Aug 28, 2014
CunningLinguist wrote:
<quoted text>
I don't have a problem with humans deciding that they want to batter one another, whether that be a boxing ring, a Cage or a football field whatever
They have a brain and presumably can use it.
I draw the line however on animals.
They don't understand what's in store for them, humans force them to behave unnaturally for amusement and then fight to the death.
Animal cruelty at its finest for profit.
Yes indeed the "running of the bulls "in Spain would be much more interesting if...
They used those fighting bulls, fitted with the armor similar to that used on horses in the days of old when knights were bold and maidens so fair...
Horns wrapped in razor wire with steel tips designed to rip and gorge, run through all those pretty white clothed, red bandanna fools in the street.
Now that would be entertainment and plenty of blood to sooth those who can't get enough of it.
Hmm
Humans as much as they have changed, remain the same.
As in the days of life and death in the Roman arena.
It would be an amusing death for murderers, who actually deserve to be killed in a horrifying way.
But in the running of the bulls, the bulls are not harmed.
Alike in this way, those Cretan men of Thera toyed with the bulls, showing us that bravery doesn't have to include slaughtering the animal.
Patrick

United States

#235595 Aug 28, 2014
Most of us have friends and family members who do not share our beliefs or lack of belief in God? We treat them well, break bread with them and show them friendship. Creating new insults of "the other side " may be amusing, but at the end of the day, may not shed light on the subject?
Peace

“I started out with nothing”

and still got most of it left

#235596 Aug 28, 2014
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
Wrong.
Sharkey's publication was a news story in the NY Times, not a book.
It was a summary of evidence from the Nuremberg Trials.
The documents had been recently declassified.
The Nuremberg Trials began the same year Hitler died.
Those documents are the most thorough, complete, and reliable account of Hitler's disposition toward christianity.
Your lame attempt to minimize them is just further proof that you are stupid, dishonest, and not worthy of legitimate discussion.
I only engage you because you are so easy to make fun of.
Facts mean nothing to you.
Was it? Wow, how interesting. Yawn.

I have just read the piece... Can’t exactly say it was unbiased... It deliberately ignores the facts that Hitler perused christian morality and values during his dictatorship, his hounding of homosexuality and outlawing of abortion for example. It totally ignores his decree that “The National Socialist State professes its allegiance to positive Christianity.” It also ignores his decree that christianity was to be taught in all schools and that he instructed the SS Reich to prosecute people who went against church doctrine. I really am at a loss as to why you should quote such a deliberately biased and obviously flawed article and make such astounding claims for it. Oh yes, of course you are the infamous butt crack, the leg end in your own mind, of course you are going to select deliberately biased and totally irrelevant BS to big up you BS.

The Nuremberg documents are the most complete 3rd hand account that used military law (illegally) to present a show trial in order to appease the general public and are argued about in respect of bias, reliability and accuracy amongst historians and academics today. The biggest bones of contention are
1. Individually selective prosecution
2. Prosecutorial vindictiveness
3. The legality of the trials, US law is not relevant in Germany
4. Selection of prosecuting countries, why was France included but not Poland?
5. Selection of prosecuted countries, why was germany prosecuted but not Italy?
6. Some witnesses were pardoned in exchange for their “uncorroborated“ evidence. It may be perfectly valid in the US to offer plea bargain to cop out of prosecution but the trials were held in Germany. US law is not relevant... see 3 above.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

NCAA Basketball Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 4 min USAsince1680 1,251,718
What role do you think humans play in global wa... (Sep '14) 23 min Patriot AKA Bozo 6,267
The Email Address Debacle: Did Hillary Do Somet... 3 hr Quantummist 1,651
News UCLA FOOTBALL NOTEBOOK: Neuheisel says Prince w... (Sep '10) 3 hr tom wingo 29,828
News Giddens Leads New Mexico Over UNLV, 59-45 (Mar '08) Jul 2 Fartman 24
News Judge overturns California's ban on same-sex ma... (Aug '10) Jun 30 KeS 201,820
News What they're saying about Bulls draft pick Bobb... Jun 28 tom wingo 5
More from around the web