Atheism requires as much faith as rel...

Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

There are 256649 comments on the Webbunny tumblelog story from Jul 18, 2009, titled Atheism requires as much faith as religion?. In it, Webbunny tumblelog reports that:

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Webbunny tumblelog.

Eagle 12

Edwardsville, IL

#235371 Aug 26, 2014
CunningLinguist wrote:
<quoted text>
Please acquaint yourself with this word: hearsay
Then see what the US judicial system has to say about it.
Hmm.. On second thought I'll save you the trouble since you're too lazy to go to any website anyway!
Generally, an out-of-court statement is hearsay if the parties care about whether or not the statement is true. For the purposes of the rule, it does not matter whether the statement was oral or written. Generally speaking, hearsay cannot be used as evidence at trial.
For example, suppose that a witness stopped at the scene of a car crash. At the crash site, an injured driver stumbled up to her and said "Martians caused the accident!" Because of the hearsay rule, the statement cannot be used as evidence that Martians caused the accident. It could, however, be used as evidence that the injured driver was capable of speech after the crash. The rule would also bar the testimony if the injured driver scribbled his message on a scrap of paper and handed it to the witness.
Try harder, JC "has your back"
So if an individual whispers to a flight attendant while flying from Las Vegas to La.

“There’s a bomb on this plane, and I’m going to blow this mother f**ker up, no sh**.”

That individual would not be prosecuted because it’s a,“he said she said” thing which is hearsay?[laughing]

Now where’s that other bin of read beads? Oh, there it is.

Let me vote again scientifically speaking.[dumping read beads on table].
Eagle 12

Edwardsville, IL

#235372 Aug 26, 2014
CunningLinguist wrote:
<quoted text>
Thy bible is 100% hearsay.
In grade school should've had this simple experiment. Teacher tells one student a story.
This student tells the student be find it him or her the story. By the time we get to the last student the story has changed dramatically.
Disclaimer: All spelling errors made by Siri are deliberately left in for my amusement, they are forgiven, will go to paradise and receive 72 dictionaries and one or two thesaurus's.
So if you walk up to a Secret Service Agent and whisper to him that you are going to fire a LAW rocket at the Presidential motorcade the very next time it pulls out of the White House.

According to your chicken lawyer analogy. You can’t be prosecuted because that would be hearsay?

Not only would you be prosecuted for making a terrorist threat. That Secret Service Agent is going to shove your head so far down into the earth that it’s going to pop out on the other side.

But please don't take my word for it. Try the experiment yourself and we will stand back and vote with beads after you are in prison. In that case the read bead will mean you fu*ked up big time.
Eagle 12

Edwardsville, IL

#235373 Aug 26, 2014
ChristineM wrote:
<quoted text>
What I.S did to James Foley is abhorrent, rest assured that his execution is seen as cowardly and repulsive by the vast majority of Brits. The sooner the perpetrator is identified and brought to justice (preferably the less tolerant US justice) the better.
However American patriotism?
Ahh you mean like those patriotic Americans who killed my grandfather
My grandfather was a British agent working with the French resistance to help pave the way for the D Day landings.
He was shot in the head by invading US troops for daring to protest and try to protect a French girl (another resistance member assisting the landings) from being gang raped by 6 of those US troops.
So in you view rape is patriotic?
I guess your grandfather personally told you this story? After he was shot dead?

And this French resistance girl decided to go to the UK and find your grandfathers relatives and tell them this story?

Even though for the sake of the spy tradecraft she really didn’t know your grandfathers real name?

Knowing that all US troops wear their name on their combat uniforms or wear dog tags for identification purposes?

She did this instead of reporting this alleged rape to US authorities?

This story is documented where? Just here?

Not in any official document?

Not in a court martial legal brief?

How patriotic is believing a lie?

But please let me answer your question about patriotic rape.

In order for it to have been a patriotic rape it would have had to been ordered by Military Command. The US military has a code of conduct that they are required to abide by or face prosecution. And in those days a soldier could be executed for war crimes against civilians.

So there's no such thing as a patriotic rape.

Most of these US soldiers that went and fought in Europe were law abiding respectful individuals that had mothers, sisters, wife’s, girlfriends, family and friends that were women.

If there was any validity in your made up story. Those soldiers in this fictitious story should have been given a fair trail and then face the repercussions if they were guilty.
Eagle 12

Edwardsville, IL

#235374 Aug 26, 2014
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
No, you just let your filthy mind intrepret to suit itself.
Go to the gym.
He would probably feel better if he went to see Jim.[laughing]
Eagle 12

Edwardsville, IL

#235375 Aug 26, 2014
ChristineM wrote:
<quoted text>
E=MC^2 is proof that the god as depicted in KJV revelation 19:6 cannot exist in this universe at the same time as you.
But you fail to realise that you can’t prove your god does exist among the 3700+ other gods that people have made up during recorded history.
And what my parents chose to name me makes a difference... how? Do you know your avatar indicates that you are incapable of thinking and so have to believe what you are told to believe? So what is it you believe??? Devil worship? Black magic? Honey you want to have a go at my name please be man enough to shoulder the consequences.
Denial? What is to deny, there is nothing to deny, no evidence whatsoever. However there is considerable lack of evidence...
As for the rest, total irrelevance based on nothing more than your avatar and is totally irrelevant
Now we have come full circle to this forum’s subject.

“Atheism requires as much faith as religion?”

We are being asked to believe based on the evidence you presented?

And that evidence is this, you said it was so?[rolling eyes]

Wow that’s pretty damning evidence. But I think I’ll pass on your evidence because you said it was so.

“What are you looking at?”

Since: Jan 08

Albuquerque, NM

#235376 Aug 26, 2014
KiMare wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm not relating this passage to any other writing. I'm asking for an explanation for how this and several other descriptions at this time occurred that we can only understand at this time.
You may want to plan on explaining the cloud by day and fire by night floating over the tribe.
Oh, and don't forget the fulfilled promise of the Alien that we observe in the Jews this very day.
Smile.
"the fulfilled promise" - as you state.....

And what is that?

Albuquerque, NM

#235377 Aug 26, 2014
KiMare wrote:
<quoted text>
Well, lets see if you can follow.
I have no problem following along. Please don't project.
KiMare wrote:
<quoted text>1. Mankind was made in the image of God.
Not according to the Sumerians.

In this text - "God" is an abomination and angels created man.
http://www.gnosis.org/naghamm/apocjn-long.htm...

Also - if "God" has no image - "He" is considered "eternal" - then any image that is created was done without prior knowledge of an image.
KiMare wrote:
<quoted text>2. Christians are even called the children of God
No - they call themselves that.

All humans are supposedly "children of God". No individual organization has the exclusive right to claim themselves as the only sect to receive this label. In fact, Jews would be more inline with this label than any so-called "Christian" if biblical history shows us anything.
KiMare wrote:
<quoted text>3. Jesus accepted being called the only begotten Son of God.
He did? Please post the exact passage that has Jesus claiming this.
KiMare wrote:
<quoted text>Like Father like Son.
"When you've seen me, you've seen the Father."
Smile.
Anyone can say this - as our "spirit" is supposedly from "God" - just like Jesus'.

In a different text - Jesus stated.....
(3) Jesus says:

(1) "If those who lead you say to you:‘Look, the kingdom is in the sky!’
then the birds of the sky will precede you.
(2) If they say to you:‘It is in the sea,’ then the fishes will precede you.
(3) Rather, the kingdom is inside of you, and outside of you."
(4) "When you come to know yourselves, then you will be known,
and you will realize that you are the children of the living Father.
(5) But if you do not come to know yourselves, then you exist in poverty, and you are poverty."

This clearly also describes how an individual can become "the children of the living Father" ["God"].

Here is another one.....statements and teachings by Jesus - directed at his disciples:

(50) Jesus says:

(1) If they say to you:‘Where do you come from?’(then) say to them:‘We have come from the light, the place where the light has come into being by itself, has established [itself] and has appeared in their image.’
(2) If they say to you:‘Is it you?’(then) say:‘We are his children, and we are the elect of the living Father.’
(3) If they ask you:‘What is the sign of your Father among you?’(then) say to them:‘It is movement and repose.’"

You lack information and research....or you are just too biased to admit it.

Which is it?
I am right

Tampa, FL

#235378 Aug 26, 2014
ChristineM wrote:
<quoted text>
Were you?
I very much doubt that until you actually saw it written down, you don’t appear to have the intelligence to think for yourself.
Which of course makes you a liar for you god... welcome to the thread
Did you know that if God and the Bible were still talked about each day before school starts that our world would not be in shambles like you cretinous atheists have done to it?
Atheism was the beginning of the end of the best country that ever existed. You are the typical moron that was force fed the lies of atheism and its ensuing hopelessness and shame.
Now go crawl back under your mossy-bottomed rock......but before you stop reading, hear this you scumbitch........

You are a pathetic lying and dishonest atheist that displays monotonous lies and deception with every post......and I bet you never really think before you blab your repugnant thoughts on this international forum.

Albuquerque, NM

#235379 Aug 26, 2014
Eagle 12 wrote:
<quoted text>
The Jesus Seminar has come under criticism regarding its method, assumptions and conclusions from a wide array of scholars and laymen. Scholars who have expressed concerns with the work of the Jesus Seminar include Richard Hays, Ben Witherington, Greg Boyd, N.T. Wright, William Lane Craig, Luke Timothy Johnson, Craig A. Evans, Craig, Blomberg, Darrell Bock, and Edwin Yamauchi.
The specific criticisms leveled against the Jesus Seminar are:
Divorcing Jesus from his cultural context and followers
Use of a flawed voting system
Ignoring evidence for eschatological teachings of Jesus
Creating a Jesus based on the presuppositions of the members
Luke Timothy Johnson argued that while some members of the seminar are reputable scholars (Borg, Crossan, Funk, others), others are relatively unknown or undistinguished in the field of biblical studies.
One member, Paul Verhoeven, holds no Ph.D. but a M.Sc. in mathematics and physics, not biblical studies, and is best known as a film director. Johnson also critiqued the seminar for its attempts to gain the attention of the media for the 2000 ABC News program "The Search for Jesus" hosted by news anchor Peter Jennings.
Seminar critic William Lane Craig has argued that the self-selected members of the group do not represent the consensus of New Testament scholars.
He writes:
Of the 74 listed in their publication The Five Gospels, only 14 would be leading figures in the field of New Testament studies. More than half are basically unknowns, who have published only two or three articles. Eighteen of the fellows have published nothing at all in New Testament studies. Most have relatively undistinguished academic positions, for example, teaching at a community college.
According to Greg Boyd, a prominent evangelical pastor and theologian:
The Jesus Seminar represents an extremely small number of radical-fringe scholars who are on the far, far left wing of New Testament thinking. It does not represent mainstream scholarship.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jesus_Seminar
You do realize that these qualifiers you pointed out as errors with the Jesus Seminar.....

....can also be applied to the Council of Nicea in 325 CE when a group of individuals first decided on what texts are to be included in the Bible and which are not to be...

- Use of a flawed voting system
- Ignoring evidence for eschatological teachings of Jesus
- Creating a Jesus based on the presuppositions of the members

You bias has caused you to fall short of complete information and then failed to compare it to existing historical content.

Don't you find it a bit odd that you will cut down the modern scholars for their efforts in trying to resolve this 2000 year old mystery, but you won't do this for those individuals from 1800+ years ago?

Like I said - you have included bias in your retort - which should be unbiased and factual.

Why do the followers of Christianity find it very difficult to be honest with others?

“KiMare'a the Monster Mutation”

Since: Nov 10

Location hidden

#235380 Aug 26, 2014
New Age Spiritual Leader wrote:
<quoted text>
And what is that?
You don't know and are a spiritual leader? Interesting claim...

That if they followed Him, they would become a great and exceptional nation.

So, how do you explain it oh great one?

Snicker.

Albuquerque, NM

#235381 Aug 26, 2014
Eagle 12 wrote:
<quoted text>
Do Court Reporters record just what they say or do they record what others say?
I think your comparison lacks legitimacy, because GoThomas meets all of your criteria, yet you blatantly refuse to accept it.

Face the facts - you believe men and what those men presented to you. You chose to accept those words......and knowing you have, you blatantly refuse anything which other men supposedly wrote when Jesus taught.

Your attempt failed again.

Try being more honest next time.

Albuquerque, NM

#235382 Aug 26, 2014
timn17 wrote:
<quoted text>Woah, Stilgar is RR?
Yep.....he changed his name. Why? I don't know -you'll have to ask him.
I am right

Tampa, FL

#235383 Aug 26, 2014
Eagle 12 wrote:
<quoted text>
Now we have come full circle to this forum’s subject.
“Atheism requires as much faith as religion?”
We are being asked to believe based on the evidence you presented?
And that evidence is this, you said it was so?[rolling eyes]
Wow that’s pretty damning evidence. But I think I’ll pass on your evidence because you said it was so.
To prove that God (and the Holy Spirit) does NOT exist only requires one thing from the topix atheists.....and it's easy for them to do.

It would require them to never post another thing on this forum about God , Christianity, Jesus, Christians, scriptures, Hell or Heaven, or anything else related to theism.

If they stopped, then we would have evidence of no God. It would be that easy.

BUT because God does exist, they will never be capable of relaxing in their failed faith of atheism. Never.

“KiMare'a the Monster Mutation”

Since: Nov 10

Location hidden

#235384 Aug 26, 2014
<quoted text>
I have no problem following along. Please don't project.
<quoted text>
Not according to the Sumerians.
In this text - "God" is an abomination and angels created man.
http://www.gnosis.org/naghamm/apocjn-long.htm...
Also - if "God" has no image - "He" is considered "eternal" - then any image that is created was done without prior knowledge of an image.
<quoted text>
No - they call themselves that.
All humans are supposedly "children of God". No individual organization has the exclusive right to claim themselves as the only sect to receive this label. In fact, Jews would be more inline with this label than any so-called "Christian" if biblical history shows us anything.
<quoted text>
He did? Please post the exact passage that has Jesus claiming this.
<quoted text>
Anyone can say this - as our "spirit" is supposedly from "God" - just like Jesus'.
In a different text - Jesus stated.....
(3) Jesus says:
(1) "If those who lead you say to you:‘Look, the kingdom is in the sky!’
then the birds of the sky will precede you.
(2) If they say to you:‘It is in the sea,’ then the fishes will precede you.
(3) Rather, the kingdom is inside of you, and outside of you."
(4) "When you come to know yourselves, then you will be known,
and you will realize that you are the children of the living Father.
(5) But if you do not come to know yourselves, then you exist in poverty, and you are poverty."
This clearly also describes how an individual can become "the children of the living Father" ["God"].
Here is another one.....statements and teachings by Jesus - directed at his disciples:
(50) Jesus says:
(1) If they say to you:‘Where do you come from?’(then) say to them:‘We have come from the light, the place where the light has come into being by itself, has established [itself] and has appeared in their image.’
(2) If they say to you:‘Is it you?’(then) say:‘We are his children, and we are the elect of the living Father.’
(3) If they ask you:‘What is the sign of your Father among you?’(then) say to them:‘It is movement and repose.’"
You lack information and research....or you are just too biased to admit it.
Which is it?
Wow, you ask for a Bible verse and when I give several you reject them and instead present several rejected writings.

You lack honesty or common sense, which is it?

Smile.
Thinking

Winsford, UK

#235385 Aug 26, 2014
Oh no! Get well soon.

I saw a comment on a supposedly moderated F1 site: "Rosberg you may win once. But you'll definitely always be a c**t".(only without the asterisks). It stayed up for a few minutes.
ChristineM wrote:
<quoted text>
I spent most of the weekend in bed with what I think is bronchitis. First time I have had it (hopefully the last) and being a bank holiday I can’t get a doctor’s appointment until Thursday.
Between coughing fits and naps I did manage to catch Rosberg losing all credibility, no wonder both Hamilton and Wolff are a bit peed off with him
I’ve not been to an open coffin wake but have attended one or two Irish style wakes recently. The last, the guy who had died left 10K behind the bar with instructions to hire a couple of bands (one ceili one heavy rock – old men can still surprise) and make sure everyone has a great time to remember him by. Misnomer... I really don’t think many people remember much at all.

Since: May 11

Reality, USA

#235386 Aug 26, 2014
Believer wrote:
<quoted text>
Jesus loves you!!
This I know cause the bible tells me so !
The buybull also tells you that burning bushes talk, and that Aaron created a calf by by throwing gold earings into a fire.

Albuquerque, NM

#235387 Aug 26, 2014

And what is that?
KiMare wrote:
<quoted text>
You don't know and are a spiritual leader? Interesting claim...
So, how do you explain it oh great one?
Snicker.
I think I would like to know, but I asked just to make sure you and I were going to be talking about the same thing.

As I figured, I somehow realized that you wouldn't post it outright, but would have to add your only literary comments to the post - all without posting to my question.

Are you afraid of something if you had?

C'mon KM - be clear in your retort....what is "the fulfilled promise" you claim was made by someone.

If you are talking about "dying for our sins" - well that sort of went by the wayside, don't you think? Especially when there is still sin in the world.

OR maybe you are referring to the fulfilled promise if Jesus died it would wipe away all the sins of the world. Well - as you can see - that didn't happen either.

Maybe, just amybe you are speaking on the fulfilled promise Jesus made that would allow people who do die, be allowed into heaven. Well - if this promise was made, it cannot be confirmed at all, UNTIL ONE DIES - so the "promise" you refer to is actually just a gesture of good faith by Jesus towards humans that would die after he.

There you go - you have multiple choices to clarify on what you mean.

BUt since you aren't a New Age Spiritual Leader - you couldn't figure this out for yourself, and had to talk down to me, in order for you to express yourself?

Yeah right KM - don't be so childish in your thinking, and maybe, you just may begin to better understand that which you do not - namely Jesus.

Albuquerque, NM

#235388 Aug 26, 2014
KiMare wrote:
<quoted text>

Do you mean Israel?.....because that was the country he was speaking to if he had lived.

It must - because so-called "Christians" didn't get to the block party until many years after Jesus died.

*sighs*

Albuquerque, NM

#235389 Aug 26, 2014
KiMare wrote:
<quoted text>
Wow, you ask for a Bible verse and when I give several you reject them and instead present several rejected writings.
You lack honesty or common sense, which is it?
Smile.
They aren't rejected by "God"....so please don't start speaking for "God" - especially when "He" inspires EVERYONE.

Do you have something that states "He" did reject them?

Whatcha got KM?"

*snickers*
I am right

Tampa, FL

#235390 Aug 26, 2014
USN Atheist wrote:
<quoted text>
The buybull also tells you that burning bushes talk, and that Aaron created a calf by by throwing gold earings into a fire.
The bible also clearly tells us that scoffers, false teachers, liars, deceivers, and Christian persecutors like you will come along in great numbers near the time of Christ's return.

I sure do love seeing prophesy being fulfilled. It assures me that your eternal damnation is near to begin.

Now if you could just learn to keep your wrong opinions to yourself.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

NCAA Basketball Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 2 min RoxLo 1,421,469
News Thousands Protest Roe V. Wade Decision (Jan '08) 1 hr zef 311,633
News UCLA FOOTBALL NOTEBOOK: Neuheisel says Prince w... (Sep '10) 1 hr Trojan 32,341
News Judge overturns California's ban on same-sex ma... (Aug '10) 13 hr RiccardoFire 201,890
What role do you think humans play in global wa... (Sep '14) Tue Earthling-1 10,070
mark moel loan house is here for you to uptain ... (Sep '13) Aug 14 Alex 17
legitimate loan lender (Oct '13) Aug 11 Ceren 9
More from around the web