Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent. Full Story

Since: May 12

Las Vegas, NV

#234110 Aug 1, 2014
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
I dish out the embarrassment around here, Patrick.
I used your name properly because you finally asked a relevant question.
Answer is I'm neither a Christian nor an atheist.
On alternating occasions, I embarrass both.
.."Patrick"..I concur ..."Buck Crick" , must worship the Highfather Odin ... he's a warrior ..ALL THE TIME ..!

Since: May 12

Las Vegas, NV

#234111 Aug 1, 2014
waaasssuuup wrote:
<quoted text>
BTW - may i call you Chris, Chrissy or My new favorite cyber squeeze?:-)
..sorry .."ChristineM" ..we , men 'are' dogs ...arf ,arf ...

“ The Lord of delirious minds.”

Since: Dec 10

Location hidden

#234112 Aug 1, 2014
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
Says the little green gnome that waves a light saber and can zip around the universe, to infinity and beyond, as fast as his mind can carry him there in his never ending quest for knowledge and righting wrongs. All from the safety and comfort of his recliner. With his mind expanding power pills handy if he needs to go a little further.
Or something like that.
Count Davdoo!

Patrick

Fort Lauderdale, FL

#234113 Aug 1, 2014
Huge meat-eating, land-living dinosaurs evolved into birds by constantly shrinking for over 50 million years, scientists have revealed.

Theropods shrunk 12 times from 163kg (25st 9lb) to 0.8kg (1.8lb), before becoming modern birds.

The researchers found theropods were the only dinosaurs to get continuously smaller.

Their skeletons also changed four times faster than other dinosaurs, helping them to survive.

Results from the study are reported in the journal Science.

Previous work has shown that theropod dinosaurs, the dinosaur group which included Tyrannosaurus rex and Velociraptor and gave rise to modern birds, must have decreased in size at some point in their evolution into small, agile flyers.

But size changes frequently occurred in dinosaur evolution, so the research team members, led by Mike Lee, from the University of Adelaide, Australia, wanted to find out if the dramatic size reduction associated with the origin of birds was unique.

They also wanted to measure the rate of evolution in dinosaurs using a large data set.

The authors used sophisticated analytical tools - developed by molecular biologists trying to understand virus evolution - to study more than 1,500 dinosaur body traits coded from 120 well-documented species of theropod and early birds.

From this analysis they produced a detailed family tree mapping out the transformation of theropods to their bird descendants.

It traces evolving adaptations and changing body size over time and across dinosaur branches.

They found that the dinosaur group directly related to birds shrank rapidly from about 200 million years ago.

It showed a decrease in body mass of 162.2kg (25st 7lb) from the largest average body size to Archaeopteryx, the earliest known bird.

These bird ancestors also evolved new adaptations, including feathers, wishbones and wings, four times faster than other dinosaurs.

A broad-billed hummingbird (Cynanthus latirostris) in front of a tooth of a massive dinosaurian.
Shrinking and new bird-like traits jointly influenced the transition of dinosaurs to birds, researchers say.
The researchers concluded that the evolution of the branch of dinosaurs leading to birds was more innovative than other dinosaur lineages.

The authors say this sustained shrinking and accelerated evolution of smaller and smaller body size allowed the ancestors of birds to develop traits which helped them to cope much better than their less evolved dinosaur relatives.

"Birds evolved through a unique phase of sustained miniaturisation in dinosaurs," Mr Lee said.

"Being smaller and lighter in the land of giants, with rapidly evolving anatomical adaptations, provided these bird ancestors with new ecological opportunities, such as the ability to climb trees, glide and fly.

"Ultimately, this evolutionary flexibility helped birds survive the deadly meteorite impact which killed off all their dinosaurian cousins."
religionisillnes s

London, UK

#234114 Aug 2, 2014
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm way smarter than Hawking.
The lies just keep coming from the arrogant creationists...

Since: May 10

Location hidden

#234115 Aug 2, 2014
Patrick wrote:
Huge meat-eating, land-living dinosaurs evolved into birds by constantly shrinking for over 50 million years, scientists have revealed.
Theropods shrunk 12 times from 163kg (25st 9lb) to 0.8kg (1.8lb), before becoming modern birds.
The researchers found theropods were the only dinosaurs to get continuously smaller.
Their skeletons also changed four times faster than other dinosaurs, helping them to survive.
Previous work has shown that theropod dinosaurs, the dinosaur group which included Tyrannosaurus rex and Velociraptor and gave rise to modern birds, must have decreased in size at some point in their evolution into small, agile flyers.
But size changes frequently occurred in dinosaur evolution, so the research team members, led by Mike Lee, from the University of Adelaide, Australia, wanted to find out if the dramatic size reduction associated with the origin of birds was unique.
They also wanted to measure the rate of evolution in dinosaurs using a large data set.
The authors used sophisticated analytical tools - developed by molecular biologists trying to understand virus evolution - to study more than 1,500 dinosaur body traits coded from 120 well-documented species of theropod and early birds.
From this analysis they produced a detailed family tree mapping out the transformation of theropods to their bird descendants.
It traces evolving adaptations and changing body size over time and across dinosaur branches.
They found that the dinosaur group directly related to birds shrank rapidly from about 200 million years ago.
It showed a decrease in body mass of 162.2kg (25st 7lb) from the largest average body size to Archaeopteryx, the earliest known bird.
These bird ancestors also evolved new adaptations, including feathers, wishbones and wings, four times faster than other dinosaurs.
A broad-billed hummingbird (Cynanthus latirostris) in front of a tooth of a massive dinosaurian.
Shrinking and new bird-like traits jointly influenced the transition of dinosaurs to birds, researchers say.
The researchers concluded that the evolution of the branch of dinosaurs leading to birds was more innovative than other dinosaur lineages.
The authors say this sustained shrinking and accelerated evolution of smaller and smaller body size allowed the ancestors of birds to develop traits which helped them to cope much better than their less evolved dinosaur relatives.
"Birds evolved through a unique phase of sustained miniaturisation in dinosaurs," Mr Lee said.
"Being smaller and lighter in the land of giants, with rapidly evolving anatomical adaptations, provided these bird ancestors with new ecological opportunities, such as the ability to climb trees, glide and fly.
"Ultimately, this evolutionary flexibility helped birds survive the deadly meteorite impact which killed off all their dinosaurian cousins."
It's a damn good thing dinosaurs planned ahead for those meteorites. Otherwise, we wouldn't have chicken mac nuggets...

oops! Guess they didn't plan for that one. It was good thinking, though, for your average reptile.

I salute the first one who was brave enough to jump out of a tree and try his wings. I guess he figured if he went to the trouble of growing the damn things, they ought to be good for something.

I can see his mama hollering, "Junior, get down. You cannot fly!"

Junior answered, "Oh yeah? That's what they said to Amelia Earhart!"

“The Bible is no science book”

Since: Jan 08

Location hidden

#234116 Aug 2, 2014
number four wrote:
<quoted text>..In personal , and social skills ..YES..!!....hard math ......??..you wish ...
Social skill? Buck? His social skills involve beating you up if you disagree with him. At least with Hawking you never have to worry about physical abuse.

“The Bible is no science book”

Since: Jan 08

Location hidden

#234117 Aug 2, 2014
number four wrote:
<quoted text>..and ..Yet .Christendom is the freest , most just , intellectual , and tolerant society on this Earth ..
All praise Jesus ...or...not ..
Just, intellectual, tolerant. What planet are you talking about?
CunningLinguist

Inverness, FL

#234118 Aug 2, 2014
waaasssuuup wrote:
<quoted text>
i couldn't agree with Al more on this!
so why do you fascist anticristers subject yourselves to the tyranny of political correctness just cuz it's the popular thing to do?
get a spine and break ranks immediately, you coward!
It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool... than to speak up and remove all doubt.

It is quite obvious you know nothing about Einstein.

"It was, of course, a lie what you read about my religious convictions, a lie which is being systematically repeated. I do not believe in a personal God and I have never denied this but have expressed it clearly. If something is in me which can be called religious then it is the unbounded admiration for the structure of the world so far as our science can reveal it." ~Albert Einstein

"Thus I came...to a deep religiosity, which, however, reached an abrupt end at the age of 12. Through the reading of popular scientific books I soon reached a conviction that much in the stories of the Bible could not be true.... Suspicion against every kind of authority grew out of this experience...an attitude which has never left me." ~Albert Einstein

"I do not believe in immortality of the individual, and I consider ethics to be an exclusively human concern with no superhuman authority behind it." ~Albert Einstein

"I cannot imagine a God who rewards and punishes the objects of his creation, whose purposes are modeled after our own -- a God, in short, who is but a reflection of human frailty. Neither can I believe that the individual survives the death of his body, although feeble souls harbor such thoughts through fear or ridiculous egotism." ~Albert Einstein

Next?
CunningLinguist

Inverness, FL

#234119 Aug 2, 2014
number four wrote:
<quoted text>..and ..Yet .Christendom is the freest , most just , intellectual , and tolerant society on this Earth ..
All praise Jesus ...or...not ..
It's all in the numbers...

India 2.2 billion people.
China 2.3 billion people
Planet earth population 6.9 billion.

Roughly 2/3 of the human beings on this planet do not believe in Jesus.(two countries)

Roman Catholicism and Christianity
There are approximately 1.2 billion professed Roman Catholics worldwide. Though the Roman Catholic Church has always been identified with Christianity, there are clear and fundamental differences between the two. Roman Catholics generally identify themselves as Christians, but for the purposes of distinguishing the two divisions of the Christian faith, adherents of Roman Catholicism are referred to as Catholics, while non-Catholic adherents of the Christian faith are referred to as Christians. There are approximately 900 million people worldwide who profess to be non-Catholic Christians. The name is derived from the fact that the early followers of Jesus of Nazareth were called Christians. Although Christians frequently identify with particular denominations such as Baptists, Methodists, Presbyterians, Lutherans, Pentecostals, and Nazarenes, they also universally claim the name Christian for themselves. Christianity is oftentimes collectively called “the church.” This is an indistinct term in that it is also the word used for local congregations and buildings as well as for specific denominations.

Islam
The name “Islam” literally means “submission,” and, as such, a Muslim is “one who submits to God.” Islam is based primarily on the writings of Mohammad, as recorded in the Qur'an. There are about 1.3 billion Muslims in the world today. Islam is represented all over the world. Though mostly associated with the Middle East, the largest Muslim populations are in Asia. Indonesia, Malaysia, Pakistan, Bangladesh, and India have sizable Muslim populations.

Hinduism
Hinduism is a word created by the Western world to encompass the dominant religious and social system of India. Traditionally, those we call Hindus refer to their religion as the “dharma,” which means “the way” or “the religion.” There are approximately 900 million Hindus in the world. Obviously, the greatest number of Hindus are located in India. Since Indians have emigrated all over the world, however, there are many Hindu communities in other countries. The total number of Hindus in India is subject to some controversy because it includes up to 300 million “untouchables”(dalits), who are officially counted as a part of the Hindu social structure but who are prevented from fully participating in Hinduism.

Buddhism
Buddhism is based on the teachings of the person called the Buddha, which means “enlightened one.” This religion has many different branches, but Buddhism is the only appropriate all-encompassing term, and its adherents, no matter how divergent in their beliefs, are happy to be known as Buddhists. Buddhism has about 360 million followers, placing it fourth, behind Christianity, Islam, and Hinduism. Buddhism originated in India. It is dominant in its more traditional forms in Sri Lanka and much of Southeast Asia (Thailand, Myanmar, Laos and Cambodia). Additionally, it has taken on various forms in many other Asian countries, most notably Tibet, Korea, China and Japan. Today Buddhism is frequently adapted and adopted by Westerners, though often at the expense of faithfulness to the traditional forms of this religion.
Judaism - "God's chosen people" !
< Oy vey >

I admit I'm not familiar with the specifics of your mythology but I would like to ask you a question...
Christians are supposed to "spread the word " how come so many Christians are remaining silent in India, Asia and the Middle East (Jesus original home turf)?
Jew gotta lotta splanin' to do! Lucy.:-/
CunningLinguist

Inverness, FL

#234120 Aug 2, 2014
Eagle 12 wrote:
<quoted text>
Is there a law that says a church building destroyed by fire can’t be rebuilt? A building destroyed by tornado or hurricane can’t be rebuilt either? Entire cities have burned down to the ground through the ages and have been rebuilt. Your logic lacks any sound reasoning.
Your inclusion of religion as a disease is not a part of any official medical opinion. It’s just your obscure unprofessional and uneducated exaggerated opinion that’s solely based on your personal biases. Don’t get me wrong I welcome your right to express your inflated and maladroit biased opinion. I just don’t accept it as having any truth or authority.
Your opinion is like flatulence after consuming a bowl of beans. But don’t feel alone because your compadres in atheism are equally inept, simple minded and amusing. All the while you and your compadres over-inflate and over sell your self inflated ego.[tipping hat]
Although I appreciate your passion for mythology I cannot agree with your opinion but I do appreciate you tipping your hat to me - thank you

You can do better analogies than what you just produced. Try a little harder.

Religion, e.g. superstition is as useless as an ashtray on a bicycle.

Why would anyone place a lightning rod on religious building church Synagogue mosque or Temple?

This shows a startling lack of confidence in what is taught during the sermons/worship within those buildings.
CunningLinguist

Inverness, FL

#234121 Aug 2, 2014
Awe... Poor Bucky.

It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool... than to speak up and remove all doubt.

Buck thinks he disagrees, but is mistaken.
He is simply experiencing an illusion caused by the limits of his comprehension.

If Buck was able to fully comprehend his problem he would agree with us.

So what appears to be a difference of opinion is just Buck wrestling with his
own defective brain.

The greater the feeling of inferiority that has been experienced, the more powerful is the urge to conquest and the emotional agitation leads to the narcissism Buck exhibits.

'Did you know'
According to Buck these posts are arguments and he wins them all!
Imagine that!
< crickets chirping >

And I will take away mine hand, and thou shalt see my back parts: but my face shall not be seen.--Exodus 33:23

PS: The truly faithful need to open a prayer circle for Mr. creek. Another "save a sinner" campaign.

Mistakes made by Siri are forgiven by Allah.

Since: May 10

Location hidden

#234122 Aug 2, 2014
CunningLinguist wrote:
Awe... Poor Bucky.
Buck thinks he disagrees, but is mistaken.
He is simply experiencing an illusion caused by the limits of his comprehension.
If Buck was able to fully comprehend his problem he would agree with us.
So what appears to be a difference of opinion is just Buck wrestling with his
own defective brain.
The greater the feeling of inferiority that has been experienced, the more powerful is the urge to conquest and the emotional agitation leads to the narcissism Buck exhibits.
'Did you know'
According to Buck these posts are arguments and he wins them all!
Imagine that!
< crickets chirping >
And I will take away mine hand, and thou shalt see my back parts: but my face shall not be seen.--Exodus 33:23
PS: The truly faithful need to open a prayer circle for Mr. creek. Another "save a sinner" campaign.
Mistakes made by Siri are forgiven by Allah.
I'm sure you had a point in mind. We'll never know.
Eagle 12

Dickinson, TX

#234123 Aug 2, 2014
Patrick wrote:
A couple of weeks ago I was driving to the store in my little town in Southern Illinois. When a Ford Model “T” drove right passed me. That car looked as good today as it did a hundred years ago when it came off the assembly line. There was a bit of excitement seeing this car on the road.

There’s absolutely no argument that automobiles have evolved. But each and every model that came off the assembly line was also engineered. For dinosaurs to have evolved into birds without any engineering is absolutely a incredible stretch of the imagination. We are talking a “Disney” like magical imagination.

Look at the evolution of the airplane from the Wright brothers first aircraft to the high performance military aircraft of today. Each one of those birds had to be engineered. All animals are nothing more than biological machines and machines have to be engineered.

Take for example the hummingbird that not only flies but also hovers effortlessly in one place. This evolved on it’s own from a brontosaurus? The hummingbird is a efficiently engineered biological machine. It was created and engineered because it takes intelligence on a grand scale to build something like that to fly like it does.

Since you brought up this evolutionary journey of dinosaurs. Consider the story of “Archaeoraptor” which was advertised as the missing link between dinosaurs and birds. As it turned out it was a scam. My argument is not that dinosaurs didn’t evolve but if they did they were engineered.

“ The Lord of delirious minds.”

Since: Dec 10

Location hidden

#234124 Aug 2, 2014
Eagle 12 wrote:
<quoted text>
A couple of weeks ago I was driving to the store in my little town in Southern Illinois. When a Ford Model “T” drove right passed me. That car looked as good today as it did a hundred years ago when it came off the assembly line. There was a bit of excitement seeing this car on the road.
There’s absolutely no argument that automobiles have evolved. But each and every model that came off the assembly line was also engineered. For dinosaurs to have evolved into birds without any engineering is absolutely a incredible stretch of the imagination. We are talking a “Disney” like magical imagination.
Look at the evolution of the airplane from the Wright brothers first aircraft to the high performance military aircraft of today. Each one of those birds had to be engineered. All animals are nothing more than biological machines and machines have to be engineered.
Take for example the hummingbird that not only flies but also hovers effortlessly in one place. This evolved on it’s own from a brontosaurus? The hummingbird is a efficiently engineered biological machine. It was created and engineered because it takes intelligence on a grand scale to build something like that to fly like it does.
Since you brought up this evolutionary journey of dinosaurs. Consider the story of “Archaeoraptor” which was advertised as the missing link between dinosaurs and birds. As it turned out it was a scam. My argument is not that dinosaurs didn’t evolve but if they did they were engineered.
You had to keep those young model T's separated from each other , or you would have to put gas in the baby model T's they would have. Ever seen how aircraft mate?
It's a sight!
Eagle 12

Dickinson, TX

#234125 Aug 2, 2014
CunningLinguist wrote:
<quoted text>
Although I appreciate your passion for mythology I cannot agree with your opinion but I do appreciate you tipping your hat to me - thank you
You can do better analogies than what you just produced. Try a little harder.
Religion, e.g. superstition is as useless as an ashtray on a bicycle.
Why would anyone place a lightning rod on religious building church Synagogue mosque or Temple?
This shows a startling lack of confidence in what is taught during the sermons/worship within those buildings.
I also appreciate your dedication to your cause. This is why I’m here and I enjoy sparing with Atheist like yourself. I was raised up with an Atheist. I know some Atheist can be very intelligent.

And Atheist intelligence runs the entire span from those that are dumb as rocks to the very brilliant educated Atheist. We even see this span right here on this topix channel. One of the indicators I look for when I judge intelligence. Is the need for one to self inflate his/her ego by constantly trotting down others.

The less intelligent Atheist do this all the time by calling their opponent and “idiot” for example. What they mean is they’re not competent or intelligent enough to engage in meaningful conversation so they revert to throwing rocks. And throwing rocks is a Neanderthal response.

Let me give you a reverence question. Why would anyone put brakes on a church bus? Obviously the laws of physics says a vehicle in motion may need the option to stop suddenly. The same analogy can be applied to the laws of physics related to weather events and churches. The laws of physics are applied evenly to all mankind. We all live by the same laws.

Take for example the law of gravity. It’s applied to all of us. If I jump out of an airplane at 10000 feet without a functional parachute. The laws of gravity is going to govern my demise.

I do agree with you partially about religion and superstition. There’s people that worship man made items from stone and wood for example. We call those “idols” and idol worship is just as you said useless as a ashtray on a bicycle.

My good friend having been raised in an Atheist home. I know the arguments and understand vain unbelief. In my case it’s no longer a matter of faith but of fact. I know beyond all doubt God is real.
Eagle 12

Dickinson, TX

#234126 Aug 2, 2014
Aura Mytha wrote:
<quoted text> You had to keep those young model T's separated from each other , or you would have to put gas in the baby model T's they would have. Ever seen how aircraft mate?
It's a sight!
Airplanes do it in the clouds. There not like some people you know less than modest.

Ever seen a little Tykes car? It takes two to tango!
CunningLinguist

Inverness, FL

#234127 Aug 2, 2014
Eagle 12 wrote:
<quoted text>
I also appreciate your dedication to your cause. This is why I’m here and I enjoy sparing with Atheist like yourself. I was raised up with an Atheist. I know some Atheist can be very intelligent.
And Atheist intelligence runs the entire span from those that are dumb as rocks to the very brilliant educated Atheist. We even see this span right here on this topix channel. One of the indicators I look for when I judge intelligence. Is the need for one to self inflate his/her ego by constantly trotting down others.
The less intelligent Atheist do this all the time by calling their opponent and “idiot” for example. What they mean is they’re not competent or intelligent enough to engage in meaningful conversation so they revert to throwing rocks. And throwing rocks is a Neanderthal response.
Let me give you a reverence question. Why would anyone put brakes on a church bus? Obviously the laws of physics says a vehicle in motion may need the option to stop suddenly. The same analogy can be applied to the laws of physics related to weather events and churches. The laws of physics are applied evenly to all mankind. We all live by the same laws.
Take for example the law of gravity. It’s applied to all of us. If I jump out of an airplane at 10000 feet without a functional parachute. The laws of gravity is going to govern my demise.
I do agree with you partially about religion and superstition. There’s people that worship man made items from stone and wood for example. We call those “idols” and idol worship is just as you said useless as a ashtray on a bicycle.
My good friend having been raised in an Atheist home. I know the arguments and understand vain unbelief. In my case it’s no longer a matter of faith but of fact. I know beyond all doubt God is real.
I'm glad you're confident!:-/

I do have my reservations...

< those troublesome facts are the Achilles' heel of religion >

You believe in a book that has talking animals, wizards, witches, demons, sticks turning into snakes, food falling from the sky, people walking on water, and all sorts of magical, absurd and primitive stories, and you say that we are the ones that need help?

We need to believe this nonsense ? you've got to be kidding!

Why does a good Christian, like you waste their time in atheist forums?

What do you expect or hope to accomplish on the behalf of your faith?

You are here to criticize people who refuse to believe the nonsense you hold so dear.

If the Prodigal Son's a parable, and if Adam and Eve are metaphors, then maybe God is just figure of speech.

If the answers to prayer are merely what God wills all along, then why pray?

The next time true believers tell you that 'separation of church and state' does not appear in our founding document, tell them to stop using the word 'trinity.'

The word 'trinity' appears nowhere in the bible. Neither does Rapture, or Second Coming, or Original Sin.

If they are still unfazed (or unphrased) by this, then add Omniscience, Omnipresence, Supernatural, Transcendence, Afterlife, Deity, Divinity, Theology, Monotheism, Missionary, Immaculate Conception, Christmas, Christianity, Evangelical, Fundamentalist, Methodist, Catholic, Pope, Cardinal, Catechism, Purgatory, Penance, Transubstantiation, Excommunication, Dogma, Chastity, Unpardonable Sin, Infallibility, Inerrancy, Incarnation, Epiphany, Sermon, Eucharist, the Lord's Prayer, Good Friday, Doubting Thomas, Advent, Sunday School, Dead Sea, Golden Rule, Moral, Morality, Ethics, Patriotism, Education, Atheism, Apostasy, Conservative (Liberal is in), Capital Punishment, Monogamy, Abortion, Pornography, Homosexual, Lesbian, Fairness, Logic, Republic, Democracy, Capitalism, Funeral, Decalogue, or Bible.

Frankly, it is hard to believe that someone can live in the age of information and be so out of touch with it.
Eagle 12

Dickinson, TX

#234128 Aug 2, 2014
CunningLinguist wrote:
<quoted text>
It is quite obvious you know nothing about Einstein.
"It was, of course, a lie what you read about my religious convictions, a lie which is being systematically repeated. I do not believe in a personal God and I have never denied this but have expressed it clearly. If something is in me which can be called religious then it is the unbounded admiration for the structure of the world so far as our science can reveal it." ~Albert Einstein
"Thus I came...to a deep religiosity, which, however, reached an abrupt end at the age of 12. Through the reading of popular scientific books I soon reached a conviction that much in the stories of the Bible could not be true.... Suspicion against every kind of authority grew out of this experience...an attitude which has never left me." ~Albert Einstein
"I do not believe in immortality of the individual, and I consider ethics to be an exclusively human concern with no superhuman authority behind it." ~Albert Einstein
"I cannot imagine a God who rewards and punishes the objects of his creation, whose purposes are modeled after our own -- a God, in short, who is but a reflection of human frailty. Neither can I believe that the individual survives the death of his body, although feeble souls harbor such thoughts through fear or ridiculous egotism." ~Albert Einstein
Next?
The first time as a young lad I read the story in the Bible about the three Hebrew children Shadrach, Meshach, and Abednego. My reaction was this is just too far fetched to believe.

My view of this story changed after I became a emergency responder and was trained in the science of “backdrafts.”
This story in the book of Daniel gives the records the first ever “backdraft” event.

A backdraft is caused by a imbalance between the air and fuel ratio. This is why when firefighter pull up to a smoldering home. They go to the roof top and cut holes in the roof to let it vent.

In the story in the bible King Nebuchadnezzar had the furnace loaded up with fuel. He requested it be seven times hotter than before. The furnace became fuel rich and air starved. When the doors to the furnace was suddenly opened up the soldiers who bound the Hebrews were killed.

The same is with most of the stories in the bible. It’s not hard to believe there was a first man created on the earth. Mathematically all numbers lead back to the number one. There is no number ever generated that doesn’t lead back to the number one.

There is a story in the bible about the earth opening up and swallowing men. Sounds like a fairy tail doesn’t it? It doesn’t if you live in Florida and have seen your neighbors house disappear from a giant sink hole. The following was copied from the Orlando Sentinel.

“The 36-year-old man was sleeping when the hole opened beneath him.”

March 1, 2013|By Amy Pavuk and Arelis R. Hernández, Orlando Sentinel

“It started with a crash. Screams. Then nothing.
The earth opened up and swallowed a Hillsborough County man late Thursday in a terrifyingly rare reminder of the unpredictable dangers lurking just below Florida's surface.”
Eagle 12

Dickinson, TX

#234129 Aug 2, 2014
CunningLinguist wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm glad you're confident!:-/
I do have my reservations...
< those troublesome facts are the Achilles' heel of religion >
You believe in a book that has talking animals, wizards, witches, demons, sticks turning into snakes, food falling from the sky, people walking on water, and all sorts of magical, absurd and primitive stories, and you say that we are the ones that need help?
We need to believe this nonsense ? you've got to be kidding!
Why does a good Christian, like you waste their time in atheist forums?
What do you expect or hope to accomplish on the behalf of your faith?
You are here to criticize people who refuse to believe the nonsense you hold so dear.
If the Prodigal Son's a parable, and if Adam and Eve are metaphors, then maybe God is just figure of speech.
If the answers to prayer are merely what God wills all along, then why pray?
The next time true believers tell you that 'separation of church and state' does not appear in our founding document, tell them to stop using the word 'trinity.'
The word 'trinity' appears nowhere in the bible. Neither does Rapture, or Second Coming, or Original Sin.
If they are still unfazed (or unphrased) by this, then add Omniscience, Omnipresence, Supernatural, Transcendence, Afterlife, Deity, Divinity, Theology, Monotheism, Missionary, Immaculate Conception, Christmas, Christianity, Evangelical, Fundamentalist, Methodist, Catholic, Pope, Cardinal, Catechism, Purgatory, Penance, Transubstantiation, Excommunication, Dogma, Chastity, Unpardonable Sin, Infallibility, Inerrancy, Incarnation, Epiphany, Sermon, Eucharist, the Lord's Prayer, Good Friday, Doubting Thomas, Advent, Sunday School, Dead Sea, Golden Rule, Moral, Morality, Ethics, Patriotism, Education, Atheism, Apostasy, Conservative (Liberal is in), Capital Punishment, Monogamy, Abortion, Pornography, Homosexual, Lesbian, Fairness, Logic, Republic, Democracy, Capitalism, Funeral, Decalogue, or Bible.
Frankly, it is hard to believe that someone can live in the age of information and be so out of touch with it.
Animals do in fact communicate. The African Parrot can speak in the human language and scientist have proven they know what they’re saying.

At first the African Parrot mimic sounds like a lot of birds do. But just as a human child does they soon learn the meaning of certain words. So animals can and do communicate with humans in our own language. People that own birds can attest to that truth.

When you are referring to the “serpent” in the bible. It’s important to know if you are referring to the pre-cursed or post-cursed serpent. Because the post-cursed would look entirely different that the pre-cursed serpent.

I love Atheist actually. It’s fun sparring or I wouldn‘t do it. And I have learned from my Atheist opponents. They have taught me to be better and stronger.

Now you mentioned the “Trinity.” I’m personally not a Trinitarian. I only believe in “One God” and all these things you said in your statement below is true.

“The word 'trinity' appears nowhere in the bible. Neither does Rapture, or Second Coming, or Original Sin.”

I also agree with this statement,“Frankly, it is hard to believe that someone can live in the age of information and be so out of touch with it.”

A example of this on you is the denying animals can talk. Your mind is closed to rational information. There have been examples where primates have learned sign language and communicate with humans.

Dolphins are another example of animals that can communicate with humans. Even a cat or dog can learn in very basic forms how to communicate with us. But when it comes to Atheism. Atheist claim it is impossible for animals to communicate (talk) to humans. A silly and obtuse position to take amid all the animal research that has occurred over the last 50 years.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

NCAA Basketball Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 10 min Portlandia 1,153,049
Judge overturns California's ban on same-sex ma... (Aug '10) 27 min Joe fortuna 201,149
What role do you think humans play in global wa... 2 hr IBdaMann 2,657
UCLA FOOTBALL NOTEBOOK: Neuheisel says Prince w... (Sep '10) 5 hr Bruin For Life 28,358
Thousands Protest Roe V. Wade Decision (Jan '08) 6 hr Country Girl 306,951
Should child beauty pageants be banned? Tue Roy the Boy 685
Conn's Appliances (Nov '07) Tue The Real Daniel S... 281
More from around the web