Atheism requires as much faith as rel...

Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

There are 258042 comments on the Webbunny tumblelog story from Jul 18, 2009, titled Atheism requires as much faith as religion?. In it, Webbunny tumblelog reports that:

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Webbunny tumblelog.

“Ditat Deus”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#234411 Aug 9, 2014
CunningLinguist wrote:

I think it must be very interesting or infuriating!
WHY?
The religious impaired insist on attending these forums and commenting to atheists who have zero interest in what they think or believe.
Do atheists attend religious forums and promote atheism secularism skepticism humanism?
Lol. Yeah, look at you showing your zero interest.

It's an amazing zero.

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#234412 Aug 9, 2014
Buck Crick wrote:
What do you think this says:
"There are no black holes..."
I think it says there are no black holes.
I told you already, the Topix Atheist! translates that to: "Add extra cheese and sour cream".

They have a weird translator.
havent forgotten

Lamoni, IA

#234413 Aug 9, 2014
religionisillness wrote:
<quoted text>
Creationist failure with no evidence of god and nothing of worth to say.
When you reject science like a blind donkey and can't defend any reasons for it, you turn into ignorant buck crick. Fact.
that was to BC - how dare you insult a blind donkey! no evidence of god is not evidence of no god. please do not go to the extreme of claiming that you know there is no god, unless you very carefully define the god/gods you say do not exist. A pantheist could define god as everything that exists, and thus it would exist by definition. An allpowerfulallgood God could not exist, because of pain and other evils. The Biblical God is unlikely, but much more consistent with the nature of the universe and life on earth than an allgoodallpowerful God would be.
I am an agnostic atheist. I do not claim to know there is no God. I do not believe that anything similar to what is usually called God exists. I do think that we should say we know that an allgoodallpowerful God does not exist, and that we should protest all the evils we see in the world. There is no good reason to believe in a god if one is fortunate in life, but if one is in misery, and wants to believe in an afterlife where all will be made right, then I can see why desperate people need to believe that - if their children die young, for example. I feel sorry for them especially. I even feel sorry for the brainwashed ones that they do not have the joy of having a free-thinking mind.

I do not want to tolerate their having much influence in the world, however. They have too much and are making a mess of it. Those of almost every religion! Not all persons who are believers - some are not extremists - are horrid - some just stand by and let others be horrid and do nothing to stop them.. A few are good, and a few try to stop the bad ones. Not enough proportionately, however. And without enough passion for good to offset the passion for evil in many religious fanatics. Nonetheless, a few of them are useful allies for a few of us freethinkers who think we should do good and oppose evil in the world. My view of pantheism is that if we are a part of the only thing that can be called god - that is: everything - we should try to make it better.

Since: Sep 10

Manhattan Beach, CA

#234414 Aug 9, 2014
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
It's roughly the same number of times someone has responded by saying Hawking did not say what he said.
How come that part doesn't tire you?
I know what he said.

And I know what you are omitting.

Buck, if I said, "Joe doesn't have eyes in the back of his head," and you kept repeating that I said, "Joe doesn't have eyes," wouldn't you concede that you're being dishonest?

This is precisely what you're doing when you quote Hawking but leave out part of what he said.

And your dishonest posting does get tiresome.

“e pluribus unum”

Since: Dec 10

primus inter pares

#234415 Aug 9, 2014
Stilgar Fifrawi wrote:
<quoted text>
I told you already, the Topix Atheist! translates that to: "Add extra cheese and sour cream".
They have a weird translator.
Okay sport, Buck already claimed Hawking a moron and idiot. Do how come a moron and idiot to Buck is his ace of spades?
You're calling someone else weird?
While I don't think Hawking is an idiot or a moron, I do think he is wrong.
He is wrong again about black holes, the first time he was wrong was the information paradox.
Now he is wrong about the event horizon.

Since: May 10

Location hidden

#234416 Aug 9, 2014
Catcher1 wrote:
<quoted text>
I know what he said.
And I know what you are omitting.
Buck, if I said, "Joe doesn't have eyes in the back of his head," and you kept repeating that I said, "Joe doesn't have eyes," wouldn't you concede that you're being dishonest?
This is precisely what you're doing when you quote Hawking but leave out part of what he said.
You might need to go back to law school.

Your speaker was specifying a location. To leave out the specification makes the statement mean the opposite of his intent.

Hawking was speaking of all of space. He did not apply a qualifier that restricts his statement to one location, as your speaker did.

And in doing so, referring to all of space, he declares, "There are no black holes..."

The reason his intent is exactly as I present it is that black holes are defined by an event horizon which allows no light to escape.

No light = "black"

Black hole - minus - "black" = hole. Not black hole.

Hawking allows a hole. He disallows a black hole.

Are you beginning to catch on Catch?

Your case is dismissed.

Location hidden

#234417 Aug 9, 2014
Aura Mytha wrote:
<quoted text> Okay sport, Buck already claimed Hawking a moron and idiot. Do how come a moron and idiot to Buck is his ace of spades?
You're calling someone else weird?
While I don't think Hawking is an idiot or a moron, I do think he is wrong.
He is wrong again about black holes, the first time he was wrong was the information paradox.
Now he is wrong about the event horizon.
Most of black hole cosmology comes from Hawking's work.

Now he says there are no black holes.

And you say he is wrong.

You are taking the side of Hawking-1 against Hawking-2, while Hawking is taking the side of Hawking-2.

Your mythologies die hard, huh?

The infinite values in Hawking-1 should have tipped you off. They are impossible.

Location hidden

#234418 Aug 9, 2014
Catcher1 wrote:
<quoted text>

Feel free to apologize for your false accusation any time, Counselor.

Or be held in contempt.

We don't play around in my court. I'll throw you in a cell with Fountain.

Since: Sep 10

Manhattan Beach, CA

#234420 Aug 9, 2014
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
You might need to go back to law school.
Your speaker was specifying a location. To leave out the specification makes the statement mean the opposite of his intent.
Hawking was speaking of all of space. He did not apply a qualifier that restricts his statement to one location, as your speaker did.
And in doing so, referring to all of space, he declares, "There are no black holes..."
The reason his intent is exactly as I present it is that black holes are defined by an event horizon which allows no light to escape.
No light = "black"
Black hole - minus - "black" = hole. Not black hole.
Hawking allows a hole. He disallows a black hole.
Are you beginning to catch on Catch?
Your case is dismissed.
I reject out of hand your pedantic attempts to explain away your clear misrepresentation of Hawking's statement.

I would prefer that you be honest and quote his entire statement, and let the reader decide what Hawking meant by what he said.

But don't quote just a portion of his statement, and then engage in gobbledigook in an attempt to justify quoting only the portion of his statement that suits your personal needs.

Your problem is precisely that I catch on to your mischief and deception.

Again, Buck: Will you, or will you not quote his entire statement?

“KiMare'a the Monster Mutation”

Since: Nov 10

Location hidden

#234426 Aug 9, 2014
UIdiotRaceMAKEWORLDPEACE wrote:
“The best characterization is provided by the product of this religious education, the Jew himself. His life is only of this world, and his spirit is inwardly as alien to true Christianity as his nature two thousand years previous was to the great founder of the new doctrine. Of course, the latter made no secret of his attitude toward the Jewish people, and when necessary he even took the whip to drive from the temple of the Lord this adversary of all humanity, who then as always saw in religion nothing but an instrument for his business existence. In return, Christ was nailed to the cross, while our present- day party Christians debase themselves to begging for Jewish votes at elections and later try to arrange political swindles with atheistic Jewish parties-- and this against their own nation.”–Adolf Hitler (Mein Kampf)
What Biblical verses did Hitler use to justify his behavior?

SMile.
CunningLinguist

Deltona, FL

#234429 Aug 9, 2014
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
Amusing.
You are obviously young and in the intellectual developmental stage yet as evinced by your pretensions of knowledge and understanding beyond your present capabilities in the life experience department. Everything you present is from a script already written for you to recite.
You may understand that if you get older.
Amusing?

I agree... you are very amusing albeit unintentional.

You believe in a book that has talking animals, wizards, witches, demons, sticks turning into snakes, food falling from the sky, people walking on water, and all sorts of magical, absurd and primitive stories, and you say that we are the ones that require intellectual development?

Frankly, it is hard to believe that someone can live in the age of information and be so out of touch with it.

Location hidden

#234430 Aug 9, 2014
<quoted text>Say Chess! bnababaaaa
Hitler dug up Christian scriputres to spead hatered of the Jewish people so that the "Aryan-Christian"peo ple would want to kill them.
Matthew 27:24-25: "When Pilate saw that he could prevail nothing, but that rather a tumult was made, he took water, and washed his hands before the multitude, saying, I am innocent of the blood of this just person: see ye to it. Then answered all the people, and said, His blood be on us, and on our children."
This passage, probably more than any other text in the Christian Scriptures fueled anti-Judaism, and later anti-semitism. Matthew records that a crowd of Jews said a most improbable statement: that they and their children were responsible for Jesus' death. This inspired the church father Origen (circa 185-254 CE) to write: "Therefore the blood of Jesus came not only upon those who lived formerly but also upon all subsequent generations of Jews..." The Christian church taught until recently that all Jews -- past, present and future -- are equally responsible for the death of Christ.
The most commonly used expression that Hitler used was the age old antisemitic slogen: "The Jews are Christ killers and our L-rd should be avenged."
And here's a few more verses from the bible that Hitler used as justification for the murder of the Jewish people:
John 8:44: "Ye are of your father the devil, and the lusts of your father ye will do. He was a murderer from the beginning, and abode not in the truth, because there is no truth in him. When he speaketh a lie, he speaketh of his own: for he is a liar, and the father of it."
In this passage,
Jesus is speaking to Jews who, like the majority of the residents of Palestine, rejected his teachings. He says that they are sons of Satan.
1 Thessalonians 2:14-15: "...ye also have suffered like things of your own countrymen, even as they have of the Jews: Who both killed the Lord Jesus, and their own prophets, and have persecuted us; and they please not God, and are contrary to all men." This passage has been used to promote anti-Judaism and anti-semitism up to the present time. In reality, Jesus' death sentence was ordered by Pilate, a Roman official, and was carried out by soldiers in the Roman Army. Only they had the authority to crucify slaves and non-slaves who were considered to be insurrectionists and terrorists by the occupying Roman authorities.
Revelation 2:9: "I know thy works, and tribulation, and poverty,(but thou art rich) and I know the blasphemy of them which say they are Jews, and are not, but are the synagogue of Satan." Here, Jesus "claims the name of Jews for himself and his church," and is condemning other Jews as followers of Satan.
Hitler used passages like these to demonize and dehumanize the Jewish people to a point where it didn't matter if they killed them because in their eyes the Jewish people were not people but spawn of the Devil that should be destroyed.
Source(s):
http://www.religioustolerance.org/bibl_h ...
Not a single one of those verses justify dehumanizing let alone killing Jews. It flies in the face of what the New Testament teaches.

Romans 9:1-5 (NASB)
1 I am telling the truth in Christ, I am not lying, my conscience testifies with me in the Holy Spirit,
2 that I have great sorrow and unceasing grief in my heart.
3 For I could wish that I myself were accursed, separated from Christ for the sake of my brethren, my kinsmen according to the flesh,
4 who are Israelites, to whom belongs the adoption as sons, and the glory and the covenants and the giving of the Law and the temple service and the promises,
5 whose are the fathers, and from whom is the Christ according to the flesh, who is over all, God blessed forever. Amen.

Moreover, there were may well known theologians of the time who contradicted Hitler's claim.

Location hidden

#234431 Aug 9, 2014
Not a single one of those verses justify dehumanizing let alone killing Jews. It flies in the face of what the New Testament teaches.

Romans 9:1-5 (NASB)
1 I am telling the truth in Christ, I am not lying, my conscience testifies with me in the Holy Spirit,
2 that I have great sorrow and unceasing grief in my heart.
3 For I could wish that I myself were accursed, separated from Christ for the sake of my brethren, my kinsmen according to the flesh,
4 who are Israelites, to whom belongs the adoption as sons, and the glory and the covenants and the giving of the Law and the temple service and the promises,
5 whose are the fathers, and from whom is the Christ according to the flesh, who is over all, God blessed forever. Amen.

Moreover, there were many well known theologians of the time who contradicted Hitler's claim.

But even more condemning? The immense support of Bible believing Christians for Israel right now.
CunningLinguist

Deltona, FL

#234434 Aug 9, 2014
Stilgar Fifrawi wrote:
<quoted text>
Lol. Yeah, look at you showing your zero interest.
It's an amazing zero.
Yeah I see you don't even understand zero.

0+0=something

Can your God commit suicide? Y/N?

Reply with something of interest or I will dismiss you as I do others that I find boring, reality challenged, allergic to truth, and thus pointless to 'reply to'.

I do find enjoyment in replying sarcastically about people I've dismissed with others.:-/

Why just the mention of their name drives them into a posting frenzy.

Location hidden

#234435 Aug 9, 2014
EDIT: Okay, here are some scriptures showing that Hitler was doing God's work:
Acts 3:23
"Every soul, which will not hear that prophet, shall be destroyed from among the people."
Peter claims that Dt.18:18-19 refers to Jesus, saying that those who refuse to follow him (non-Christians) must be killed.
Romans 1:31 Without understanding, covenantbreakers, without natural affection, implacable, unmerciful:
1:32 Who knowing the judgment of God, that they which commit such things are worthy of death, not only do the same, but have pleasure in them that do them.
Hitler killed gays, just like the Bible told him to.
EDIT 2: It doesn't say kill whoever you want, it says kills gays and unbelievers. Hitler did just that. He was doing God's will.
1. Context. Peter is speaking about being excluded from the covenant God made with the Jews. Even more profound? Not one of the disciples, including Peter practiced killing anyone for that reason. And Paul who was killing Christians repented and offered his own life for the salvation of the Jews.

2. No passage in the New Testament says to kill anyone because of their belief or sexual practice.

Since: Sep 08

United States

#234436 Aug 9, 2014
CunningLinguist wrote:
<quoted text>
Amusing?
I agree... you are very amusing albeit unintentional.
You believe in a book that has talking animals, wizards, witches, demons, sticks turning into snakes, food falling from the sky, people walking on water, and all sorts of magical, absurd and primitive stories, and you say that we are the ones that require intellectual development?
Frankly, it is hard to believe that someone can live in the age of information and be so out of touch with it.
Amusing. You have never seen me express any such belief as you insinuate.

Now, I have said that Abraham pimped out his old lady to make his fortune and not really caring about killing Isaac because it wasn't his kid. And some similar observations.

But that makes me a Bible thumper in your eyes.

You have some developmental issues.

You are in clone mode. Programmed to yammer, no ability to think on your own. You may not even be able to develop intellectually. A lifelong rote learner.

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#234437 Aug 9, 2014
CunningLinguist wrote:
<quoted text>
Yeah I see you don't even understand zero.
0+0=something
Reply with something of interest or I will dismiss you as I do others that I find boring, reality challenged, allergic to truth, and thus pointless to 'reply to'.
I do find enjoyment in replying sarcastically about people I've dismissed with others.:-/
Why just the mention of their name drives them into a posting frenzy.
When I eat tater tots, I like to make a 70/30 mix of ketchup/hot sauce.

Adds to the flavor.

You?

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#234438 Aug 9, 2014
CunningLinguist wrote:
Not even God can do the logically impossible, like creating a two-sided triangle or a married bachelor.

Capisce?

“e pluribus unum”

primus inter pares

#234439 Aug 9, 2014
Stilgar Fifrawi wrote:
<quoted text>
When I eat tater tots, I like to make a 70/30 mix of ketchup/hot sauce.
Adds to the flavor.
You?
Me?
I...um.....
Stay out the room you're in.... later!

“e pluribus unum”

primus inter pares

#234440 Aug 9, 2014
Stilgar Fifrawi wrote:
<quoted text>
Not even God can do the logically impossible, like creating a two-sided triangle or a married bachelor.
Capisce?
God that can't do the impossible.....isn't god.
Take Henry the 8th for example, not god but he created a two-sided love triangle and became a married bachelor.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

NCAA Basketball Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News UCLA FOOTBALL NOTEBOOK: Neuheisel says Prince w... (Sep '10) 3 hr Pete_Carroll 32,616
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 3 hr Chicagoan by Birth 1,459,870
News Thousands Protest Roe V. Wade Decision (Jan '08) 5 hr Flirts9578 312,838
News Western Michigan heads to Illinois as a favorite Wed Go Blue Forever 59
legitimate loan lender (Oct '13) Dec 5 Yin 17
What role do you think humans play in global wa... (Sep '14) Nov 28 Local Warming 10,371
Should child beauty pageants be banned? (Sep '14) Nov 22 Heatherfeather 780
More from around the web