Atheism requires as much faith as rel...

Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

There are 258471 comments on the Webbunny tumblelog story from Jul 18, 2009, titled Atheism requires as much faith as religion?. In it, Webbunny tumblelog reports that:

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Webbunny tumblelog.

Since: May 10

Location hidden

#233650 Jul 27, 2014
Aura Mytha wrote:
<quoted text>

Infinity is not measurable, nor is it ever completed,...
But if the universe is infinite in extent, an infinity IS completed. The universe would be a completed infinity, but still expanding.

But you say infinity is never completed.

Make up your mind.

“ad victoriam”

Since: Dec 10

arte et marte

#233651 Jul 27, 2014
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
He wouldn't have had the opportunity to take the bribes if they weren't there to exploit. He didn't import them in the first place.
He was also into gambling and prostitution, hmm lets see....
Human trafficking, drugs , gambling and prostitution, the sheriff is a mobster?

“ad victoriam”

Since: Dec 10

arte et marte

#233652 Jul 27, 2014
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
But if the universe is infinite in extent, an infinity IS completed. The universe would be a completed infinity, but still expanding.
But you say infinity is never completed.
Make up your mind.
No an infinity as we know it is never completed, you cant count that high remember?
It doesn't mean it isn't there, but it does mean it cannot be measured, because that would take an infinite time to count. So all we can do is make the statement r = infinity.

http://www.dummies.com/how-to/content/how-r-c...

Since: May 10

Location hidden

#233653 Jul 27, 2014
Aura Mytha wrote:
<quoted text>
Buckshit! Have you ever talked to any of them? I saw a interviewer report on why they were coming. In some of those countries they are from, there is no hope at all.
We have plenty of poor people who are American citizens to talk to, if you want to talk to somebody poor. Obama has increased their numbers.

If you have extra money weighting you down, give it to them.

No, I forgot,...you want to give away other peoples money, not yours.

How heroic.

“ad victoriam”

Since: Dec 10

arte et marte

#233654 Jul 27, 2014
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
He wouldn't have had the opportunity to take the bribes if they weren't there to exploit. He didn't import them in the first place.

Why does this sound like the pedophile blaming the child?

Since: May 10

Location hidden

#233655 Jul 27, 2014
Aura Mytha wrote:
<quoted text> No an infinity as we know it is never completed, you cant count that high remember?
It doesn't mean it isn't there, but it does mean it cannot be measured, because that would take an infinite time to count. So all we can do is make the statement r = infinity.
http://www.dummies.com/how-to/content/how-r-c...
I see. A completed infinity can never exist.

But one might exist. Even though it cannot exist.

If we cannot measure something, it might be a completed infinity, even though it cannot exist.

A married bachelor cannot exist. But one might exist, if we cannot see him, even though he cannot exist.

Got it. Thanks, man.

“ad victoriam”

Since: Dec 10

arte et marte

#233656 Jul 27, 2014
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
We have plenty of poor people who are American citizens to talk to, if you want to talk to somebody poor. Obama has increased their numbers.
If you have extra money weighting you down, give it to them.
No, I forgot,...you want to give away other peoples money, not yours.
How heroic.
I never said I liked it, only that my compassion is greater than my greed here.
I know it will harm me,( a little) and that it's not good for me or my country.
But empathy decides that these people deserve our sacrificing a little to accommodate them into becoming Americans. This is America remember?
Not some greedy robber tribe of heartless cannibals. Sire we have to set some limits though.

Since: May 10

Location hidden

#233657 Jul 27, 2014
Karma is a_______ wrote:
<quoted text>

DUH, do you think before you write. First you state that the unemployment rate is lower in Central america, then you claim they are coming here because of better economic opportunity???WTF
A nation can have a lower unemployment rate, and the median wage be a fraction of what it is in the U.S., and with less opportunity to advance. That makes "better economic opportunity" in living here. But it does not mean they were starving.

You would be best-served not to argue with me.

I'm going to make a fool of you every time.

Since: May 10

Location hidden

#233658 Jul 27, 2014
Karma is a_______ wrote:
<quoted text>
and yet President Obama is responsible for Amb. Stevens death, the IRS targeting conservative groups....yada yada yada.
Bush is to blame for the use of torture, he had Gonzales write the memo justifying it. He ordered the invasion of Iraq, it was his administration that okayed the use of torture, kidnapping and imprisonmnet without trial, his administration came up with enemy combatant to circumvent the geneva convention
There was no torture.

You are making shit up.

Our military was authorized to blow their flesh and bones into bits and fragments.

But pouring a little water up their nose,....OOOOOHHH NOOOOOOOOO!!

There was no torture - not one instance.

“ad victoriam”

Since: Dec 10

arte et marte

#233659 Jul 27, 2014
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
I see. A completed infinity can never exist.
But one might exist. Even though it cannot exist.
If we cannot measure something, it might be a completed infinity, even though it cannot exist.
A married bachelor cannot exist. But one might exist, if we cannot see him, even though he cannot exist.
Got it. Thanks, man.
The platypus didn't exist either, till we found out it did.
If infinities exist we could never prove it, it would take forever.
In this way we can only say it is moving toward infinity, we will never have enough time to completely count it. That is what an infinite density or infinite distance is an incalculable number so large, there is no number that completes it no matter how arbitrarily large it becomes it cannot complete the measure.

Since: May 10

Location hidden

#233660 Jul 27, 2014
River Tam wrote:
<quoted text>
So does the U.S.A.
I see a trend here. Somebody stole some land and now somebody is finding a way to get it back, yes?
We stole El Salvadore's land?

I see. Thanks, man.

Since: Sep 08

United States

#233661 Jul 27, 2014
Aura Mytha wrote:
<quoted text> He was also into gambling and prostitution, hmm lets see....
Human trafficking, drugs , gambling and prostitution, the sheriff is a mobster?
So are the people that brought those illegals into town. The smugglers. Why are you trying to pin the blame on him only?

Some of those young immigrant girls will service 20-60 illegal workers, and others, per day. To pay off those that got them there, or because they were kidnapped.

The smugglers enable the exploitation. They advertise the good life in America, and provide the means to sneak in. It's a systemic problem.

Since: May 10

Location hidden

#233662 Jul 27, 2014
Karma is a_______ wrote:
<quoted text>
the law you are talking about wass also enacted to combat child soldiers...I contend that being forced to join a drug cartel/gand is a form of child soldiering
being forced to join a drug gang or being killed does fall under presecution, does it not?
Not unless you rewrite the law.

"... account of race, religion, nationality,
membership in a particular social group, or political
opinion. This definition of refugee is set forth in
101(a)(42) of the Immigration and Nationality Act (INA)"

Of course, we have a president who thinks he can rewrite laws.

He actually has.

Supreme Court stopped him on a few occasions.

Since: May 10

Location hidden

#233664 Jul 27, 2014
Aura Mytha wrote:
<quoted text> I never said I liked it, only that my compassion is greater than my greed here.
I know it will harm me,( a little) and that it's not good for me or my country.
But empathy decides that these people deserve our sacrificing a little to accommodate them into becoming Americans. This is America remember?
Not some greedy robber tribe of heartless cannibals. Sire we have to set some limits though.
Why do we have to have limits?

Having limits contradicts your description of what America is.

We do have limits. The limits have been put in place by consent of the people who live here as citizens, and govern themselves as a sovereign nation.

Those limits are not stringent, and definitely not cruel.

When we abandon those limits, as Obamajab did with his 2012 executive order, we get what we are getting on our border right now.

If they are rewarded as you suggest, we get more.

They should be humanely cared for, housed, processed, and sent back safely.

Since: May 10

Location hidden

#233665 Jul 27, 2014
Aura Mytha wrote:
<quoted text>
The platypus didn't exist either, till we found out it did.
If infinities exist we could never prove it, it would take forever.
In this way we can only say it is moving toward infinity, we will never have enough time to completely count it. That is what an infinite density or infinite distance is an incalculable number so large, there is no number that completes it no matter how arbitrarily large it becomes it cannot complete the measure.
A completed infinity is not something undiscovered, like a platypus, it is something which cannot exist, by its own inherent properties.

If it were completed, it would not be infinity.

Infinity is an abstraction - it has no application to physical reality.

You are not an abstraction. The universe is not an abstraction. Physical properties are not abstractions.

Cutting pizza into infinite slices is an abstraction. But you can't fit infiinite pieces of pizza into a 16' x 16' x 2' box.

Most people can get that.

Since: Sep 08

United States

#233666 Jul 27, 2014
http://mobile.nytimes.com/2014/07/27/business...

Oh, yes. Evidence of the wealth this flood of economic refugees has brought to this economic system.

If you work for a wage you are in that middle.

“ad victoriam”

Since: Dec 10

arte et marte

#233667 Jul 27, 2014
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
A completed infinity is not something undiscovered, like a platypus, it is something which cannot exist, by its own inherent properties.
If it were completed, it would not be infinity.
Infinity is an abstraction - it has no application to physical reality.
You are not an abstraction. The universe is not an abstraction. Physical properties are not abstractions.
Cutting pizza into infinite slices is an abstraction. But you can't fit infiinite pieces of pizza into a 16' x 16' x 2' box.
Most people can get that.
You could never fit the universe in a box of any size either, because it's infinite.

Catcher1

Since: Sep 10

Manhattan Beach, CA

#233668 Jul 27, 2014
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
Yeah. Someone else's little darlings.
Third worlders don't have the same set of values your privileged little ass grew up with. They grab what they can. You WILL be competing with them. The open floodgate doesn't allow for them to be assimilated as when the influx was controlled.
It's OK, Dave.

Even the paranoid are sometimes followed.

In any case, you can always build yourself a civil defense shelter.

Catcher1

Since: Sep 10

Manhattan Beach, CA

#233669 Jul 27, 2014
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
Don't try bleeding heart me, sweetheart.
How about me, can I bleeding heart you, Dave?

I have lots of stories.

Catcher1

Since: Sep 10

Manhattan Beach, CA

#233670 Jul 27, 2014
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
What do you think the purpose of a nation having borders is?
What kind of sentence is THAT?

I think River has it right--you're high as a kite.

By the way, the purpose of a nation having borders is bananas.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

NCAA Basketball Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 6 min Cheech the Conser... 1,535,664
News UCLA FOOTBALL NOTEBOOK: Neuheisel says Prince w... (Sep '10) 1 hr Would Phart 33,095
News Thousands Protest Roe V. Wade Decision (Jan '08) 2 hr silly rabbit 314,353
What role do you think humans play in global wa... (Sep '14) May 16 Patriot 11,170
Penn State University & State College May 12 Truechange 1
I got my loan from [email protected] (Jun '13) Apr '17 GLOBAL FUNDING SO... 43
How to Recover Deleted or lost Contacts from Sa... (Dec '14) Apr '17 DelucaKoehn 11
More from around the web