Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent. Full Story

“ The Lord of delirious minds.”

Since: Dec 10

Location hidden

#233105 Jul 20, 2014
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
You are arguing angels and pin heads, pinhead.
Almost every human that isn't brain dead grasps infinity before they die. They just resign themselves to serving out a part of it. Being infinite, you can not quantify it it. They realize this.
Then you do have the brain dead that do try to quantify it, and usually require an education of some sort to get them in that groove. The education being a brain substitute.
Infinity is relative. Spend more of your finite time trying to figure what gave you your little slice of it.
Yap flapping lip flip trap yap yap, do you ever say anything besides yap flap?

Since: Sep 08

Location hidden

#233106 Jul 20, 2014
Aura Mytha wrote:
<quoted text>
Yap flapping lip flip trap yap yap, do you ever say anything besides yap flap?
I do a lot of intelligent posting, you just have trouble recognizing such things. Interferes with your mental processes and gets you more emotionally reactive. But hey, I understand.
Here, let's try this.
Infinity is beyond your ability to grasp. Spend your time on more productive pursuits.
Simple enough?

:-)

Location hidden

#233107 Jul 20, 2014
Umm, infinity and IANS's infinite donut. And the allegedly educated Topix stheist.

All walking around the donut looking for new ground. Ain't enlightenment grand?

Stuck in an infinity of stupidity.

Look up once in a while.

Location hidden

#233108 Jul 20, 2014
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
I do a lot of intelligent posting, you just have trouble recognizing such things. Interferes with your mental processes and gets you more emotionally reactive. But hey, I understand.
Here, let's try this.
Infinity is beyond your ability to grasp. Spend your time on more productive pursuits.
Simple enough?
Evey post you make to me is derogatory, that much is clear.
But funny, it seems more correctly said that understanding infinity is beyond a few others here, with protest, denial and all.
The concept is quite understandable to me, but beyond the grasp of others who deny the very definitions I have shown them.

Since: May 10

Location hidden

#233109 Jul 20, 2014
Aura Mytha wrote:
<quoted text> Has nothing to do with it. One more time.
limitless or endless in space, extent, or size; impossible to measure or calculate.
"the infinite mercy of God"
synonyms: boundless, unbounded, unlimited, limitless, never-ending, interminable;
a space or quantity that is infinite.
immeasurably great: an infinite capacity for forgiveness.
indefinitely or exceedingly great: infinite sums of money.
unlimited or unmeasurable in extent of space, duration of time, etc.: the infinite nature of outer space.
unbounded or unlimited; boundless; endless: God's infinite mercy.
1 : extending indefinitely : endless <infinite space>
: immeasurably or inconceivably great or extensive : inexhaustible <infinite patience>
: subject to no limitation or external determination
a : extending beyond, lying beyond, or being greater than any preassigned finite value however large <infinite number of positive numbers>
Give an example of a physical infinite.

Location hidden

#233110 Jul 20, 2014
Aura Mytha wrote:
<quoted text>
But funny, it seems more correctly said that understanding infinity is beyond a few others here, with protest, denial and all.
The concept is quite understandable to me, but beyond the grasp of others who deny the very definitions I have shown them.
Aura, read over your post.

You get upset because others don't believe the "truths" you have revealed to them.

I wouldn't direct derogatory posts toward you if you didn't make fun of others for their certitude in their beliefs. Same goes for others on here.

Be tolerant of the other idiots. Fighting just gets in the way of gathering knowledge to make rational deductions.

Location hidden

#233111 Jul 20, 2014
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
You are arguing angels and pin heads, pinhead.
Almost every human that isn't brain dead grasps infinity before they die. They just resign themselves to serving out a part of it. Being infinite, you can not quantify it it. They realize this.
Then you do have the brain dead that do try to quantify it, and usually require an education of some sort to get them in that groove. The education being a brain substitute.
Infinity is relative. Spend more of your finite time trying to figure what gave you your little slice of it.
If an actual infinite is allowed in physical quantity, there is no longer a discrete computational foundation for any physical reality.

Infinity is "unreachable", "unrealizable", "unquantifiable", and has no finite quality.

Aura says the physical universe has reached the unreachable, realized the unrealizable, and also has no finite quality.

He is saying any distance in the universe is infinite. Like the distance between one's ears.

Polymath used to spew the same absurd bull shit on these pages.

From some of the top theoretical thinkers in the history of man:

"The infinite is nowhere to be found in reality. It neither exists in nature nor provides a legitimate basis for rational thought. The role that remains for the infinite is solely that of an idea."

-David Hilbert

"An infinite number of real parts in succession appears so evident a contradiction that no man whose judgement is not corrupted would ever be able to admit it."

-David Hume

"The notion of a completed infinity doesn't belong in mathematics; infinity is merely a figure of speech which helps us talk about limits"

-German mathematician Carl Friedrich Gauss

"Actual infinity does not exist. What we call infinite is only the endless possibility of creating new objects no matter how many exist already"

-French mathematician Henri Poincare

Location hidden

#233112 Jul 20, 2014
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
Aura, read over your post.
You get upset because others don't believe the "truths" you have revealed to them.
I wouldn't direct derogatory posts toward you if you didn't make fun of others for their certitude in their beliefs. Same goes for others on here.
Be tolerant of the other idiots. Fighting just gets in the way of gathering knowledge to make rational deductions.
If definitions mean nothing , what are they for?

Location hidden

#233113 Jul 20, 2014
Aura Mytha wrote:
<quoted text>
It is an ironclad certainty that you do not understand infinity.

Finding one finite object in the entire universe proves your understanding wrong.

Your understanding is that if the extent of the universe is unknowable, that makes it infinite.

That's wrong.

Location hidden

#233114 Jul 20, 2014
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
It is an ironclad certainty that you do not understand infinity.
Finding one finite object in the entire universe proves your understanding wrong.
Your understanding is that if the extent of the universe is unknowable, that makes it infinite.
That's wrong.
That isn't what I've been explaining to you, but the entire content is impossible to measure also.
The event horizon and the recession of galaxies faster than light is something entirely different matter that shows the infinite extent of the universe a mathematical certainty by general relativity.

Location hidden

#233115 Jul 20, 2014
Aura Mytha wrote:
<quoted text> If definitions mean nothing , what are they for?
Your definitions are incomplete.

"Infinity and zero are abstract mathematical constructs which we use to describe what a system is tending towards. The mathematical philosophy behind this is not too difficult to grasp because these abstractions are unrealisable by self-definition.

Unfortunately the fruitloop Cantor failed to realise that zero cannot be contained within the set of real numbers any more than infinity can. The ancient Greeks knew this perfectly well but the more modern geniuses have succeeded in outsmarting themselves. That's what happens when you sack the philosophers. For set theory to have any mathematical meaning then we can have an infinite set but the set cannot contain infinity. Or zero. The members of any set must have a corresponding value in the real world or the set itself becomes an unrealisable abstraction. An infinite set cannot be contained within a finite one.

These are simple propositions which derive from common sense, yet for many decades we've had to put up with the unseemly spectacle of physicists banging on about singularities, as if such entities could exist in a real universe. They seem to be slowly losing this hubristic tendency to believe their own bullshit but the damage has been done. What they fail to see is that this means that their spacetime models must be false.

Sadly, even after a hundred years, the bloody obvious eludes them."

Regards Leo

Keywords:

"unrealisable"

"bullshit"

Location hidden

#233116 Jul 20, 2014
limitless or endless in space, extent, or size; impossible to measure or calculate.

boundless, unbounded, unlimited, limitless, never-ending, interminable

unlimited or unmeasurable in extent of space, duration of time

subject to no limitation or external determination

extending beyond, lying beyond, or being greater than any preassigned finite value however large

Location hidden

#233117 Jul 20, 2014
Aura Mytha wrote:
<quoted text> If definitions mean nothing , what are they for?
Have you noticed the quibbling over definitions that occurs on here?

There must be a weakness in using words to convey concepts. One more time. The Babel effect. Read the story.

Choose your definer of words carefully, and define in a manner everyone can understand.

Language is cross referencing a lot of data. Only takes one misdefined or misunderstood word in that huge internal database to corrupt it all.

Location hidden

#233118 Jul 20, 2014
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
Your definitions are incomplete.
"Infinity and zero are abstract mathematical constructs which we use to describe what a system is tending towards. The mathematical philosophy behind this is not too difficult to grasp because these abstractions are unrealisable by self-definition.
Unfortunately the fruitloop Cantor failed to realise that zero cannot be contained within the set of real numbers any more than infinity can. The ancient Greeks knew this perfectly well but the more modern geniuses have succeeded in outsmarting themselves. That's what happens when you sack the philosophers. For set theory to have any mathematical meaning then we can have an infinite set but the set cannot contain infinity. Or zero. The members of any set must have a corresponding value in the real world or the set itself becomes an unrealisable abstraction. An infinite set cannot be contained within a finite one.
These are simple propositions which derive from common sense, yet for many decades we've had to put up with the unseemly spectacle of physicists banging on about singularities, as if such entities could exist in a real universe. They seem to be slowly losing this hubristic tendency to believe their own bullshit but the damage has been done. What they fail to see is that this means that their spacetime models must be false.
Sadly, even after a hundred years, the bloody obvious eludes them."
Regards Leo
This is what they call appeal to authority fallacy. Or Argument from authority.
You are dismissing evidence direct taken from the measurements of the universe by the latest findings.

Location hidden

#233119 Jul 20, 2014
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
Have you noticed the quibbling over definitions that occurs on here?
There must be a weakness in using words to convey concepts. One more time. The Babel effect. Read the story.
Choose your definer of words carefully, and define in a manner everyone can understand.
Language is cross referencing a lot of data. Only takes one misdefined or misunderstood word in that huge internal database to corrupt it all.

Yes, your attempts to redefine the defined, sorry i have the Iron Chariots here.:)

Location hidden

#233120 Jul 20, 2014

"Nothing is an unrealisable abstraction which the mind can conceive of as an absence of something. It can only be defined in terms of its opposite. Infinity is a precisely analagous construct because the infinite can only be described as that which is not finite. It would be tautologous to go on and say that unrealisable abstractions cannot be realised therefore neither nothing nor infinity can exist in a real universe."

Regards Leo

Location hidden

#233121 Jul 20, 2014
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
Give an example of a physical infinite.
I cant give you a measurement of the immeasurable, but have shown you the universe is immeasurable and meets the criteria and definitions in several ways.

Location hidden

#233122 Jul 20, 2014
Aura Mytha wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes, your attempts to redefine the defined, sorry i have the Iron Chariots here.:)
Iron is nice stuff for a magnet man to have fun with.

Location hidden

#233123 Jul 20, 2014
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
Iron is nice stuff for a magnet man to have fun with.
LOL

Location hidden

#233124 Jul 20, 2014
Aura Mytha wrote:
<quoted text>
I cant give you a measurement of the immeasurable, but have shown you the universe is immeasurable and meets the criteria and definitions in several ways.
Which does what exactly in the pursuit of knowledge.

Sport, scientists have been pursuing knowledge for a long time while acknowledging there is something greater than our little localized corner of God's infinite whatever it is.

Our universe has all the earmarks of a bubble in a vast sea. What blew the bubble?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

NCAA Basketball Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
What role do you think humans play in global wa... 6 min Aloha 1,526
Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 6 min Tony Rome 1,126,463
Thousands Protest Roe V. Wade Decision (Jan '08) 15 min Pearl Jam 306,259
Should child beauty pageants be banned? 1 hr squeezers 458
UCLA FOOTBALL NOTEBOOK: Neuheisel says Prince w... (Sep '10) 2 hr Bruin For Life 27,929
Old UK WildCat Picture Signed by Adolph F.Rupp+... (Apr '07) 22 hr Local man 40
Do you hate UK Wildcats, we DO :-) (Apr '11) Wed Geoscientist 50

NCAA Basketball People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE