Atheism requires as much faith as rel...

Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

There are 258484 comments on the Webbunny tumblelog story from Jul 18, 2009, titled Atheism requires as much faith as religion?. In it, Webbunny tumblelog reports that:

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Webbunny tumblelog.

Since: Sep 08

United States

#233124 Jul 20, 2014
Aura Mytha wrote:
<quoted text>
I cant give you a measurement of the immeasurable, but have shown you the universe is immeasurable and meets the criteria and definitions in several ways.
Which does what exactly in the pursuit of knowledge.

Sport, scientists have been pursuing knowledge for a long time while acknowledging there is something greater than our little localized corner of God's infinite whatever it is.

Our universe has all the earmarks of a bubble in a vast sea. What blew the bubble?

“ad victoriam”

Since: Dec 10

arte et marte

#233125 Jul 20, 2014
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
Which does what exactly in the pursuit of knowledge.
Sport, scientists have been pursuing knowledge for a long time while acknowledging there is something greater than our little localized corner of God's infinite whatever it is.
Our universe has all the earmarks of a bubble in a vast sea. What blew the bubble?

The impossible to know infinite reality, it's just a guess.

United States

#233126 Jul 20, 2014
Aura Mytha wrote:
<quoted text>
The impossible to know infinite reality, it's just a guess.
That is why you don't take another man's guess as a fact. That means don't worship your "scientists". Use as a model or starting point, but don't just accept. You may come up with a better perception.

United States

#233127 Jul 20, 2014
When you study physics, or use a technology derived from it, you get a false perspective. You are looking down at it, so to speak. You are controlling the operation. This is a natural perspective to take in observation and deductions, but it is missing a whole lot. You remove yourself from being a part of it. A quantum observer forgetting what he is doing, and at the same time affecting the overall. And often confusing the issue.

I learned something a long time ago experimenting. I put myself within forces I used to manipulate. I could feel the effects as it passed through other matter and then me. I can make a chunk of concrete block dance hanging on a string with a speaker magnet it didn't respond to until I waved my hand a few times in a particular way. Very simple operation, but I could animate "dead" matter. Very simple common everyday physical phenomenon. Just something I kind of stumbled upon. Controlling to follow my directions requires something more. BTW, making it move on a string also makes it overcome gravity via motion. The string makes it follow an arc where it has to rise.

My body, and yours, are a hell of a lot more reactive to that phenomenon than a piece of concrete. If I can do that to a piece of concrete why in the hell would I believe something unseen isn't doing that to me or you? Why should you believe such? You can do the same things.

We need to keep ourselves in perspective.

“ad victoriam”

arte et marte

#233128 Jul 20, 2014
Dave Nelson wrote:
When you study physics, or use a technology derived from it, you get a false perspective. You are looking down at it, so to speak. You are controlling the operation. This is a natural perspective to take in observation and deductions, but it is missing a whole lot. You remove yourself from being a part of it. A quantum observer forgetting what he is doing, and at the same time affecting the overall. And often confusing the issue.
I learned something a long time ago experimenting. I put myself within forces I used to manipulate. I could feel the effects as it passed through other matter and then me. I can make a chunk of concrete block dance hanging on a string with a speaker magnet it didn't respond to until I waved my hand a few times in a particular way. Very simple operation, but I could animate "dead" matter. Very simple common everyday physical phenomenon. Just something I kind of stumbled upon. Controlling to follow my directions requires something more. BTW, making it move on a string also makes it overcome gravity via motion. The string makes it follow an arc where it has to rise.
My body, and yours, are a hell of a lot more reactive to that phenomenon than a piece of concrete. If I can do that to a piece of concrete why in the hell would I believe something unseen isn't doing that to me or you? Why should you believe such? You can do the same things.
We need to keep ourselves in perspective.
It's my first ray gun.:)

“cdesign proponentsists”

Since: Jul 09

Pittsburgh, PA

#233129 Jul 20, 2014
Aura Mytha wrote:
<quoted text>
I cant give you a measurement of the immeasurable, but have shown you the universe is immeasurable and meets the criteria and definitions in several ways.
Why argue with a known liar? He will say anything to keep you on his line. He doesn't care about real answers, just how long he can screw with you.
Patrick

United States

#233130 Jul 20, 2014
Buck Crick wrote:
"Nothing is an unrealisable abstraction which the mind can conceive of as an absence of something. It can only be defined in terms of its opposite. Infinity is a precisely analagous construct because the infinite can only be described as that which is not finite. It would be tautologous to go on and say that unrealisable abstractions cannot be realised therefore neither nothing nor infinity can exist in a real universe."
Regards Leo
On a happy note..........

Endeavour is a British television detective drama series.

It is a prequel to the long-running Inspector Morse and—like that series—is set primarily in Oxford. Shaun Evans portrays a young Endeavour Morse beginning his career as a Detective Constable with the Oxford City Police CID. The series is produced for ITV by Mammoth Screen and Masterpiece. Following a pilot episode in 2012, the first series was broadcast in 2013 and the second in 2014.

Norman Colin Dexter, OBE,(born 29 September 1930) is an English crime writer known for his Inspector Morse novels, which were written between 1975 and 1999 and adapted as a television series from 1987 to 2000.

He started writing mysteries in 1972 during a family holiday. "We were in a little guest house halfway between Caernarfon and Pwllheli. It was a Saturday and it was raining—it's not unknown for it to rain in North Wales. The children were moaning... I was sitting at the kitchen table with nothing else to do, and I wrote the first few paragraphs of a potential detective novel."

Last Bus to Woodstock was published in 1975 and introduced the character of Inspector Morse, the irascible detective whose penchants for cryptic crosswords, English literature, cask ale and Wagner reflect Dexter's own enthusiasms. Dexter's plots are notable for his use of false leads and other red herrings

A bit of reading might improve your mind
and give us
a break from your daily BS?
Peace

United States

#233131 Jul 20, 2014
Aura Mytha wrote:
<quoted text> It's my first ray gun.:)
Be religious about that safety and don't do any stupid quick draw crap.

Get the Orion No. 7 magazines. They won't jam on you.

“justgirlythings”

Since: Jun 14

Rest in pepperonies VGF

#233132 Jul 20, 2014
I'm an atheist, that does not mean that I have faith in science, I just don't care if there is a god, and my daily routine has nothing to do with him, the only time I actually think about him is on sites like these, I know people have reasons to believe in him an I respect their views, but religion has a small part in my life, I have needs of my own to worry about every day.
ChristINSANITY is EVIL

Wheatley, Canada

#233133 Jul 20, 2014
TheBlackSheep wrote:
<quoted text>
Why argue with a known liar? He will say anything to keep you on his line. He doesn't care about real answers, just how long he can screw with you.
http://www.naturalnews.com/036112_sociopaths_...

United States

#233134 Jul 20, 2014
Anonix Mercer wrote:
I'm an atheist, that does not mean that I have faith in science, I just don't care if there is a god, and my daily routine has nothing to do with him, the only time I actually think about him is on sites like these, I know people have reasons to believe in him an I respect their views, but religion has a small part in my life, I have needs of my own to worry about every day.
Well, welcome. You are NOT a Topix atheist. You are more mainline and intellectually based. They are clones deployed to blather and rant for political purposes.

“cdesign proponentsists”

Since: Jul 09

Pittsburgh, PA

#233135 Jul 20, 2014
ChristINSANITY is EVIL wrote:
I don't put the character of Buck, nor any of the other characters created by a very limited nuber of puppet masters, as sociopaths, the are not charming leaders of any groups. They are simply getting their kicks from being anonymous and keeping an argument going. They will say whatever it takes to do so. I am guessing that labs28's puppeteer is the same as eagle's and several others. To me, they make life boring. I have learned a few things and I am very interested in why people are like that, but I don't think that I will ever get a straight answer as long as they are anonymous.

I would like to meet Buck and see if my predictions are true; either a 90 lbs weakling or a 300 lard ass who still lives at home with mommy.
number four

Since: May 12

Las Vegas, NV

#233136 Jul 20, 2014
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
Give an example of a physical infinite.
..Is God's love 'unconditional'..?
number four

Las Vegas, NV

#233137 Jul 20, 2014
Proxy Queen wrote:
<quoted text>
Um....
Those gotsta be the dumbest scientists ever.
Everyone knows there's no electricity in Canadia yet....
..well , I blame the white man .oops .!!...I MEAN THE JEWS ....
number four

Las Vegas, NV

#233138 Jul 20, 2014
Buck Crick wrote:
ChristineM wrote:
Wow, you have a big one…
Cheers

Buck Crick

Since: May 10

Location hidden

#233139 Jul 20, 2014
Aura Mytha wrote:
<quoted text>
That isn't what I've been explaining to you, but the entire content is impossible to measure also.
The event horizon and the recession of galaxies faster than light is something entirely different matter that shows the infinite extent of the universe a mathematical certainty by general relativity.
You're a moron.

"Faster than light" is a finite speed.

Over a finite elapsed time.

Anything receding as such would cover a finite distance.

"Finite" x "Finite =....what?

Finite. Always.

You have a religious point of view. You are willing to believe an IMPOSSIBLE proposition when one of your PROPHETS tells you it is so.

They are pulling your leg. They are fudging the terms - creating a religious mythology for you.

And you lap it up. Like a dumb fucking hound dog.

Buck Crick

Since: May 10

Location hidden

#233140 Jul 20, 2014
Aura Mytha wrote:
<quoted text>
This is what they call appeal to authority fallacy. Or Argument from authority.
You are dismissing evidence direct taken from the measurements of the universe by the latest findings.
No. I'm dismissing an abstraction from measurement taken to hypothesize an impossible phenomenon - an infinite physical universe.

There was no appeal to authority. It was an example of someone saying what I'm saying a different way.

Your whole case is an appeal to authority. And the problem is you don't understand one jot or tittle of what the authority is saying.

Why won't you answer my question:

What values for A and B make it true that "A" (average rate of expansion) X "B" (elapsed time)= Infinite Distance.

What are "A" and "B"?

Guess at it. Pick a number. Any number.

Pick a hypothetical number. What can you do to make the equation work?

You have to make it work if your assertion is true.
number four

Las Vegas, NV

#233141 Jul 20, 2014
Anonix Mercer wrote:
My understanding , is we are the only creatures who consider ...."what , comes after ..?"...

You've must of thought about it ...

It's hard to accept , we just end ..

“ad victoriam”

arte et marte

#233142 Jul 20, 2014
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
You're a moron.
"Faster than light" is a finite speed.
Over a finite elapsed time.
Anything receding as such would cover a finite distance.
"Finite" x "Finite =....what?
Finite. Always.
You have a religious point of view. You are willing to believe an IMPOSSIBLE proposition when one of your PROPHETS tells you it is so.
They are pulling your leg. They are fudging the terms - creating a religious mythology for you.
And you lap it up. Like a dumb fucking hound dog.
GREAT Genius, now tell us the distance you will have to travel to traverse the distance of the event horizon . Hint, it's called an event horizon for some reason... doofus

“ad victoriam”

arte et marte

#233143 Jul 20, 2014
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
No. I'm dismissing an abstraction from measurement taken to hypothesize an impossible phenomenon - an infinite physical universe.
There was no appeal to authority. It was an example of someone saying what I'm saying a different way.
Your whole case is an appeal to authority. And the problem is you don't understand one jot or tittle of what the authority is saying.
Why won't you answer my question:
What values for A and B make it true that "A" (average rate of expansion) X "B" (elapsed time)= Infinite Distance.
What are "A" and "B"?
Guess at it. Pick a number. Any number.
Pick a hypothetical number. What can you do to make the equation work?
You have to make it work if your assertion is true.
Um science isn't a religion, I'm not sure what they learnt you in prison about it. But you may want to check in on it .:)

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

NCAA Basketball Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Thousands Protest Roe V. Wade Decision (Jan '08) 1 min Freedomofexpression 316,357
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 2 min Cheech the Conser... 1,581,827
News UCLA FOOTBALL NOTEBOOK: Neuheisel says Prince w... (Sep '10) 4 hr Nice Phartez 33,676
What role do you think humans play in global wa... (Sep '14) Aug 14 Into The Night 11,335
News Judge overturns California's ban on same-sex ma... (Aug '10) Jul '17 New boy 201,878
News Johnny Brown Added To Coaching Staff (Oct '07) Jul '17 Brown Pharts 3
News Tragedy strikes family members of Leasure (Jul '08) Jun '17 Evidence phart 9
More from around the web