Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent. Full Story

“Why does my ignorance”

Since: Mar 11

justify your deity?

#232795 Jul 16, 2014
Patrick wrote:
Science appears to describe accurately the material word.
Metaphysical ideas can not be proved.
Thus each person decides for himself or herself in a limited life time.
Philosophical issue tied to our common mortality.
Trolls seem rather upset when their ideas are not accepted?
Except for what you said for philosophy, yes.
ChristINSANITY is EVIL

Windsor, Canada

#232796 Jul 16, 2014
Carchar king wrote:
Nothing creates nothing. That's a fact Atheists must learn.
You are related to Delude Dave or Butt Creep right!?
ChristINSANITY is EVIL

Windsor, Canada

#232797 Jul 16, 2014
number four wrote:
<quoted text>Gays ..Atheists..Muslims ..(read)..LIBERALS ...
You are winning ..
We're the f**king Salt of the Earth ..!!
You ' gays' are claiming, too much salt is , unhealthy ..
Youre Still on drugs huh?

Since: May 12

Las Vegas, NV

#232798 Jul 16, 2014
Hidingfromyou wrote:
<quoted text>
Oh, sure, innocent then.
Breastless, I'm working on it.
..a.. Not born atheist .. then..??

..b..My nipples and chest ....YOU CROSSED THE LINE ...YOU VILLAIN ..( just cause I don't make milk ).....YOU'RE NOT BETTER THAN ..ME...!

..c.." working on it "...??...You're not going ' male '..not my business ...but , women are superior ..you don't need a ' prick '.. You're already pretty damn awesome ...

Las Vegas, NV

#232799 Jul 16, 2014
ChristINSANITY is EVIL wrote:
<quoted text>
Youre Still on drugs huh?
..oh.. of course , I 'have' to say .."no !"

but , " wink ,wink " you know , what It's like brother ...

“God of War”

Since: Dec 10

Location hidden

#232800 Jul 16, 2014
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
Right. And you will explain why the football is infinite.
Actually, I was explaining why the football us flat.
Let me refresh your memory.
Distance or length is the measure of the "space" between two points.
It was in this context that I used the word "space".
"c" Is the speed of light in a vacuum.

On the Event horizon "space" or the distance from the horizon,
from there on out from and away from us, is expanding away faster than c.
Since nothing can exceed the speed of light . From that point on,
the distance is infinite. And nothing from that point can ever reach here,
as well as nothing from here, can ever reach there.
It doesn't matter if we even know the exact distance it is,
as any attempt to span that distance of "space" or length results in attempt
in traversing an infinite distance even if you traveled for infinite time you will never reach it.

So after any duration of travel in distance or time you can stop and see you have indeed traveled a finite distance.
You can see the distance is still finite to the destination, and it will still take a infinte duration to never reach that distance.
But as it retreats away eventually all objects at the horizon will dissapear, gone into infinity and only the infinite distance will remain.

Las Vegas, NV

#232801 Jul 16, 2014
ChristINSANITY is EVIL wrote:
<quoted text>
You are related to Delude Dave or Butt Creep right!?
..We just ask for some rationality ...

Did , the Cosmos move unbidden , "whaaaat ?" and make matter ..?

How , the Moon ..??..this fortuitous , satellite ....PURE LUCK ...seriously ...SERIOUSLY ..???

Brain/Intelligences ' explosion '.........magic...??

I have , real difficulty .....with , natural selection ..

Just ' too ' many unbidden/fortuitous events ...

“God of War”

Since: Dec 10

Location hidden

#232802 Jul 16, 2014
Here is one way of abstractly looking at it.

http://telescoper.files.wordpress.com/2012/03...
CunningLinguist

Lakeland, FL

#232803 Jul 16, 2014
TheBlackSheep wrote:
<quoted text>
In this case, "You folks", refers to people who think that if their religion is not taught as science in the public school classrooms, their prayers are not recited at government functions, or that laws are not based on their religious beliefs, that the Atheists are pushing their non-believe on them.
In simple terms, no one has taken your god out of public schools, that is a silly claim made by the church leaders to get idiots fired up.
<quoted text>
I didn't say that Atheists are not happy. Atheists are no longer willing to be treated like second class citizens, or allowing christians mythology to be forced on their children.
I did say that coming out as an Atheist is rather difficult; once it is out there, then you have to start putting up with, "YOU"RE GOING TO HELL!", "WHY DO YOU HATE GOD?" and "JESUS DIED FOR YOU!"
<quoted text>
Yes, yet another translation! Just what we needed!
To summarize...

A great deal of intelligence can be invested in ignorance when the need for illusion is deep. HL Mencken was present diring the Scopes trial Tennessee with the famef Clarence Darrow and William Jennings Bryan's attorneys. Aka the monkey trial

"Since the early days,[the church] has thrown itself violently against every effort to liberate the body and mind of man. It has been, at all times and everywhere, the habitual and incorrigible defender of bad governments, bad laws, bad social theories, bad institutions. It was, for centuries, an apologist for slavery, as it was an apologist for the divine right of kings." ~H.L Mencken

"Faith may be defined briefly as an illogical belief in the occurrence of the improbable ... A man full of faith is simply one who has lost (or never had) the capacity for clear and realistic thought. He is not a mere ass: he is actually ill." ~H.L. Mencken

"God is the immemorial refuge of the incompetent, the helpless, the miserable. They find not only sanctuary in His arms, but also a kind of superiority, soothing to their macerated egos; He will set them above their betters." ~H.L. Mencken

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/H._L._Mencken
Lab28

Anaheim, CA

#232804 Jul 16, 2014
TheBlackSheep wrote:
<quoted text>
Ever wonder about that? Jesus descended into Hell on Friday and then ascended into heaven on the third day, which was somehow not even two days later on Sunday.
Ascended into heaven on the third day... I thought you said you were raised Christian and read the entire bible.
Lab28

Anaheim, CA

#232805 Jul 16, 2014
TheBlackSheep wrote:
<quoted text>
I know! Everyone adds, removes or changes the words here and there so that their god is created in their image.
Sounds like projection to me. Once again self-refuting considering you will only look at very specific passages that support your message that God is immoral. If it's a passage you don't like it's cherry picking.

If I did this you could go ahead and tell me what I'm saying is not making sense:

-Pastor: Hey Lab, I saw you steal from the collection plate at church on Sunday.

-Me : Judge not, lest ye be judged.

-Pastor: No, seriously, I saw you pull a bunch of money out and put it in your pocket.

-Me: Do not store up for yourselves treasures on earth, where moth and rust destroy, and where thieves break in and steal.

-Pastor: Thou shalt not steal

-Me: Everything is permissible but not everything is beneficial

-Pastor: You're a theif

-Me: There is now no condemnation for those who are in Christ Jesus.

That's promoting an idea that isn't implied, consistent, doctrinal, or even making any sense by using one verse completely out of context. I've presented you only with passages that reflect consistent (and basic) ideas. Take the example above. Using standalone passages to deflect any blame for something that was clearly wrong, if you catch me doing something like that. You can go ahead and accuse me of cherry picking. If you find that a whole collection of passages disagree with your perception of the bible, it might not be the bible that is wrong. God gave you a brain to use. You need to be able to reason out the implications of things and use the bible in a holistic way.

“Why does my ignorance”

justify your deity?

#232806 Jul 17, 2014
number four wrote:
<quoted text>..a.. Not born atheist .. then..??
..b..My nipples and chest ....YOU CROSSED THE LINE ...YOU VILLAIN ..( just cause I don't make milk ).....YOU'RE NOT BETTER THAN ..ME...!
..c.." working on it "...??...You're not going ' male '..not my business ...but , women are superior ..you don't need a ' prick '.. You're already pretty damn awesome ...
I'm quite happy with who I am, thanks. No sex change for me!

But you...just a sec <getting some shears> hey! Hello? Where did he go?

“Electronic graffiti”

Since: Jun 13

Botany Bay

#232807 Jul 17, 2014
ChristineM wrote:
<quoted text>
Was that a deliberate oxymoron?
Actually, it is.

LOL

“Electronic graffiti”

Botany Bay

#232808 Jul 17, 2014
Hidingfromyou wrote:
<quoted text>
I didn't actually make the claim that babies are born atheist. They're born with brains that are confused, ready for learning and not much else.
:)
I'll make the joke about puppies then:

Puppies are born Xian, which they are in the first couple of weeks.
They become atheist, once the eyes are opened.

“Electronic graffiti”

Botany Bay

#232809 Jul 17, 2014
Catcher1 wrote:
<quoted text>
Justice Scalia.
What an oxymoron that is.
True.
:-)

“Electronic graffiti”

Botany Bay

#232810 Jul 17, 2014
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
Whoopee!!!
It's the ice cream truck!
Oops. My mistake, it is just Christine.
Here's the ice-cream tune:

“Electronic graffiti”

Botany Bay

#232811 Jul 17, 2014
Hidingfromyou wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm quite happy with who I am, thanks. No sex change for me!
But you...just a sec <getting some shears> hey! Hello? Where did he go?
You're a cissexual.

“Why does my ignorance”

justify your deity?

#232812 Jul 17, 2014
Rosa_Winkel wrote:
<quoted text>
I'll make the joke about puppies then:
Puppies are born Xian, which they are in the first couple of weeks.
They become atheist, once the eyes are opened.
hahaha, that's great :)

“cdesign proponentsists”

Since: Jul 09

Pittsburgh, PA

#232813 Jul 17, 2014
CunningLinguist wrote:
<quoted text>
To summarize...
A great deal of intelligence can be invested in ignorance when the need for illusion is deep. HL Mencken was present diring the Scopes trial Tennessee with the famef Clarence Darrow and William Jennings Bryan's attorneys. Aka the monkey trial
"Since the early days,[the church] has thrown itself violently against every effort to liberate the body and mind of man. It has been, at all times and everywhere, the habitual and incorrigible defender of bad governments, bad laws, bad social theories, bad institutions. It was, for centuries, an apologist for slavery, as it was an apologist for the divine right of kings." ~H.L Mencken
"Faith may be defined briefly as an illogical belief in the occurrence of the improbable ... A man full of faith is simply one who has lost (or never had) the capacity for clear and realistic thought. He is not a mere ass: he is actually ill." ~H.L. Mencken
"God is the immemorial refuge of the incompetent, the helpless, the miserable. They find not only sanctuary in His arms, but also a kind of superiority, soothing to their macerated egos; He will set them above their betters." ~H.L. Mencken
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/H._L._Mencken
I like that!

“cdesign proponentsists”

Since: Jul 09

Pittsburgh, PA

#232814 Jul 17, 2014
Lab28 wrote:
<quoted text>
Sounds like projection to me. Once again self-refuting considering you will only look at very specific passages that support your message that God is immoral. If it's a passage you don't like it's cherry picking.
When you critique an inaccurate book, do you quote the passages that are correct or do you quote the passages that are in error? I can give credit to some passages, if you like, but that would not excuse the bible for the evil and errors contained within.
Lab28 wrote:
<quoted text>If I did this you could go ahead and tell me what I'm saying is not making sense:
-Pastor: Hey Lab, I saw you steal from the collection plate at church on Sunday.
-Me : Judge not, lest ye be judged.
-Pastor: No, seriously, I saw you pull a bunch of money out and put it in your pocket.
-Me: Do not store up for yourselves treasures on earth, where moth and rust destroy, and where thieves break in and steal.
-Pastor: Thou shalt not steal
-Me: Everything is permissible but not everything is beneficial
-Pastor: You're a theif
-Me: There is now no condemnation for those who are in Christ Jesus.
That's promoting an idea that isn't implied, consistent, doctrinal, or even making any sense by using one verse completely out of context. I've presented you only with passages that reflect consistent (and basic) ideas. Take the example above. Using standalone passages to deflect any blame for something that was clearly wrong, if you catch me doing something like that. You can go ahead and accuse me of cherry picking. If you find that a whole collection of passages disagree with your perception of the bible, it might not be the bible that is wrong. God gave you a brain to use. You need to be able to reason out the implications of things and use the bible in a holistic way.
Lab28 wrote:
<quoted text>That's promoting an idea that isn't implied, consistent, doctrinal, or even making any sense by using one verse completely out of context.
That's rich! You are the one quoting single verses and I am the one quoting paragraphs, in context. LOL! Good one, Lab!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

NCAA Basketball Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 4 min sonicfilter 1,192,190
Thousands Protest Roe V. Wade Decision (Jan '08) 13 min Brian_G 308,952
What role do you think humans play in global wa... 14 min adamski 4,339
UCLA FOOTBALL NOTEBOOK: Neuheisel says Prince w... (Sep '10) 21 min Brew In 29,074
Judge overturns California's ban on same-sex ma... (Aug '10) 28 min Big D 201,411
Kecoughtan High teacher resigns after drug charges (Nov '07) Mon CS Rosenberg 71
NCSU vs UNC from the Coach's Perspective by Jam... Feb 28 IdeasandTruth 1
More from around the web