Atheism requires as much faith as rel...

Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

There are 258470 comments on the Webbunny tumblelog story from Jul 18, 2009, titled Atheism requires as much faith as religion?. In it, Webbunny tumblelog reports that:

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Webbunny tumblelog.

“When you treat people as they ”

Since: Nov 10

treat you they get offended.

#232487 Jul 14, 2014
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm not a sociopath?
Obviously, you have not spoken to my parole officer. Or my ex-wife. Or the two cops who tried to arrest me in Columbus, Georgia. Or,...never mind.
Like I said –‘pretending’

But it seems typical for buck to ignore words and make his own BS up

#232488 Jul 14, 2014
Rosa_Winkel wrote:
<quoted text>
Never mind. If Hugh Jackman doesn't like it, he's welcome to come and discuss it with me face to face.
Hmm, that would be quite a discussion....

#232489 Jul 14, 2014
Carchar king wrote:
<quoted text>
I was born Christian.
Nope. You were born into a christian family and indoctrinated after birth

Since: May 10

Location hidden

#232490 Jul 14, 2014
ChristineM wrote:
<quoted text>
Nobody is born theist, to do so would mean he/she had adopted a belief in the womb.
In the true, original, before pedantic buck and the godbot band bastardised it, meaning of the word, new born children are born without theism i.e a-theist = atheist
And your personal definition of atheism is no one’s concern but your own
Are you making up more sh|t based on your own comments?
“What can be asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence.”- Christopher Hitchens
May I ask, do you consider all foetuses to be male until birth?
I don't have a personal definition for "atheism".

The actual definition is the belief that no god exists.

If you don't like what the term means, you are free to call yourself something else.

Location hidden

#232491 Jul 14, 2014
Aura Mytha wrote:
<quoted text>
Again this is the belief of a person who also believes things he cannot substantiate.
You hold no appeal to authority to pronounce what is and is not, or what can and cannot be.
There is no single computational foundation to the universe, but of all of them that exist,
they all share the quality of being abstract modeling of the physical reality.
The scenario I gave you is a real phenomenon of space/time as predicted by general relativity, the cosmological constant and physical observation grounded in mathematical certainty. The distance to the cosmological event horizon becomes infinite and you can never reach it even at the speed of light in infinite time or infinite distance traveled.
Nonsensical bluster.

Explain infinite distance traveled - which is impossible to travel. Explain how it's possible to travel an impossible distance to travel.

Explain how "abstract modeling of physical reality" is physical reality.

Explain how "as predicted" is physical reality.

This is your problem. You don't understand what physical reality is.

Physical reality IS NOT abstract modeling and predicting.

I am arguing with a person willing to substitute imagination for physical reality, then calls it physical reality.

Your argument is lost.

“A sentient umbrella speaks”

Since: Mar 11

Some stable somewhere

#232492 Jul 14, 2014
Carchar king wrote:
<quoted text>
I was born Christian.
I'm sorry. Gay scientists are now searching for a cure for your debilitating disease.

Location hidden

#232493 Jul 14, 2014
ChristineM wrote:
<quoted text>
Either theist or a-theist – that’s the language conventions we use since ancient greek times
Or perhaps you have a third option unbeknown to modern society – maybe another buckism?
Show me where I made that claim
Your claim was, nobody is born an atheist. So how do you know? You made that stamen before I even got involved with this topic of discussion.
"Or perhaps you have a third option unbeknown to modern society "

Actually, there are at least four options know to society - modern and otherwise.

There are at least 3 categories of belief that are non-theism, atheism being one.

Not being a theist doesn't make one an atheist.

#232494 Jul 14, 2014
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
I don't have a personal definition for "atheism".
The actual definition is the belief that no god exists.
If you don't like what the term means, you are free to call yourself something else.
You do, you are just too much of a coward to admit it, you have your definition and Buck stomps his foot... refusing to admit that anything else can exist despite the evidence to the contrary.

So you are saying that new born babies have belief that gods exist?– I would like you to prove this, if you can

I know what the term means right back to its origins. How’s about you?

P.S. I do not call myself an atheist, that’s what bigoted pretend sociopath dickheads like you call me

#232495 Jul 14, 2014
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
"Or perhaps you have a third option unbeknown to modern society "
Actually, there are at least four options know to society - modern and otherwise.
There are at least 3 categories of belief that are non-theism, atheism being one.
Not being a theist doesn't make one an atheist.
Linguistically it does.

List please.

“In God we trust”

Since: Dec 12

Cape Town, South Africa

#232496 Jul 14, 2014
ChristineM wrote:
<quoted text>
I was born Christian, I don't need your comment.
number four

Since: May 12

Las Vegas, NV

#232497 Jul 14, 2014
ChristineM wrote:
<quoted text>
..Can someone be born British ..?
number four

Since: May 12

Las Vegas, NV

#232498 Jul 14, 2014
Hidingfromyou wrote:
<quoted text>
No, that group doesn't.
Did you bother to read it before making the above claim?
Sheesh , but are you nosy ...No , I didn't read it ...What else do you need to know about my life ...?

Location hidden

#232499 Jul 14, 2014
Aura Mytha wrote:
<quoted text>

"The distance to the cosmological event horizon becomes infinite and you can never reach it..."
Then how did the event horizon reach it?

... Do you also know married bachelors?

Location hidden

#232500 Jul 14, 2014
number four wrote:
<quoted text>.

.Can someone be born British ..?
Not if they can help it.

Location hidden

#232501 Jul 14, 2014
ChristineM wrote:
<quoted text>
Linguistically it does.
List please.
"Non-theist" and "atheist" are not the same thing.

"Atheism is the doctrine that God does not exist, that belief in the existence of God is a false belief. The word God here refers to a divine being regarded as the independent creator of the world, a being superlatively powerful, wise and good " (Encyclopedia of Religion).

"Atheism (Greek and Roman): Atheism is a dogmatic creed, consisting in the denial of every kind of supernatural power. Atheism has not often been seriously maintained at any period of civilized thought "(Encyclopedia of Religion and Ethics-Vol II).

"Nontheism is a term that covers a range of both religious and nonreligious attitudes characterized by the absence or rejection of theism, such as agnosticism, ignosticism, skepticism, and atheism."

You could learn so much from me if you would just submit to superior intelligence.

Location hidden

#232502 Jul 14, 2014
ChristineM wrote:
<quoted text>
You do, you are just too much of a coward to admit it, you have your definition and Buck stomps his foot... refusing to admit that anything else can exist despite the evidence to the contrary.
So you are saying that new born babies have belief that gods exist?– I would like you to prove this, if you can
I know what the term means right back to its origins. How’s about you?
P.S. I do not call myself an atheist, that’s what bigoted pretend sociopath dickheads like you call me
I never said newborn babies have any belief at all. You did. You said they are atheist - which is to have a belief.

My claim is that you know no such thing. I am correct.

#232503 Jul 14, 2014
Carchar king wrote:
<quoted text>
I was born Christian, I don't need your comment.
Then you are delusional. As a newborn did you have any understanding of Christ or christinaity?

You made the comment, I responded – so do you have a problem with the idea of a PUBLIC threads as well as facts?

#232504 Jul 14, 2014
number four wrote:
<quoted text>..Can someone be born British ..?
You can be born to British parents – in say Australia - Does that make you British?

You can be born in Britain to say Australian parents - Does that make you British?

Besides, how can you compare religion with nationality unless you are jewish?

#232505 Jul 14, 2014
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
"Non-theist" and "atheist" are not the same thing.
"Atheism is the doctrine that God does not exist, that belief in the existence of God is a false belief. The word God here refers to a divine being regarded as the independent creator of the world, a being superlatively powerful, wise and good " (Encyclopedia of Religion).
"Atheism (Greek and Roman): Atheism is a dogmatic creed, consisting in the denial of every kind of supernatural power. Atheism has not often been seriously maintained at any period of civilized thought "(Encyclopedia of Religion and Ethics-Vol II).
"Nontheism is a term that covers a range of both religious and nonreligious attitudes characterized by the absence or rejection of theism, such as agnosticism, ignosticism, skepticism, and atheism."

That’s ‘a’-theists.

I really do not give a toss about your selective quotes. I have provided both dictionary definitions and a general description so I am not going to bang my head on a buck wall over and over again.

Do what? Sorry, learning to be a stupid butt crack is not something I wish to lower myself to

You may have a sound IQ, you actually come across sometimes as being very intelligent – sometimes..., in the same way that an autistic can provide valued insight into one aspect of one subject and be totally lost if the discussion leaves that precise area of knowledge.

#232506 Jul 14, 2014
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
I never said newborn babies have any belief at all. You did. You said they are atheist - which is to have a belief.
My claim is that you know no such thing. I am correct.
You said – and I quote “Nobody is born an atheist.”
Like you know...?
And your delusion on the meaning of the word a-theist (without theism) is glaringly obvious

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

NCAA Basketball Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 1 min Teaman 1,564,060
News Thousands Protest Roe V. Wade Decision (Jan '08) 2 hr Electric Blues 315,205
What role do you think humans play in global wa... (Sep '14) 15 hr Patriot AKA Bozo 11,288
News UCLA FOOTBALL NOTEBOOK: Neuheisel says Prince w... (Sep '10) Thu Told Pharts 33,405
News Judge overturns California's ban on same-sex ma... (Aug '10) Jul 12 New boy 201,878
News Johnny Brown Added To Coaching Staff (Oct '07) Jul 1 Brown Pharts 3
News Tragedy strikes family members of Leasure (Jul '08) Jun '17 Evidence phart 9
More from around the web