Atheism requires as much faith as rel...

Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

There are 255504 comments on the Webbunny tumblelog story from Jul 18, 2009, titled Atheism requires as much faith as religion?. In it, Webbunny tumblelog reports that:

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Webbunny tumblelog.

Since: May 10

Location hidden

#231798 Jul 4, 2014
Thinking wrote:
If Darwin had all of today's knowledge he would certainly revise some of his 150 year old opinions. Who wouldn't at least amend the messaging?
So what's Puck Frick's excuse for being such a violently clueless disappointment by today's values?
<quoted text>
If a bullfrog had wings it could jump the English Channel.

Location hidden

#231799 Jul 4, 2014
Aura Mytha wrote:
<quoted text>

Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence period.
That old Carl Sagan saw is a logical fallacy.

I'll let you figure out why. I'll check back in 5 years to see how you're coming with it.

Location hidden

#231800 Jul 4, 2014
Just Think wrote:
Meanwhile, has anyone ever stated why atheists have to have faith that unicorns..er..leprechauns...oo ps...bridge trolls...dang it...gods don't exist?
Yeah, gods...that's it.
Anyone?
By definition.

Atheism, system of thought developed around the denial of God's existence. Atheism, so defined, first appeared during the Enlightenment, the age of reason (Random House Encyclopedia).

Atheism is the doctrine that there is no God.(Oxford Companion to Philosophy).

Atheism (Greek, a-[private prefix]+ theos, god) is the view that there is no divine being, no God (Dictionary of Philosophy, Thomas Mautner, Editor).

Your great quest has ended. Glad I could help.

“Seventh son”

Since: Dec 10

Will Prevail

#231801 Jul 4, 2014
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
That old Carl Sagan saw is a logical fallacy.
I'll let you figure out why. I'll check back in 5 years to see how you're coming with it.
What?

“Game Over”

Since: Oct 10

Location hidden

#231802 Jul 4, 2014
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
If a bullfrog had wings it could jump the English Channel.
If a bird pecks my eyes out I'll be blind.

I like these debates.

Location hidden

#231803 Jul 4, 2014
TheBlackSheep wrote:
<quoted text>
Why don't you kill people? Is it just because your holy book says that your god says that you shouldn't, even though the same book says that your god says that you should kill non-believers and others.
Do you or have you ever worked on Sunday?
What made you decide to like the opposite sex? Did you make a choice?
Why don't you have sex/marry a young girl?{Assuming that you are an over 21 year old male.} The bible does not set an age for marriage.
Do you follow the Tooth Fairy? If not, is it safe to assume that you hate the Tooth Fairy?
Try not to be stupid with your replies. Think a bit before you type.
I've had sex with many young girls.

In pretty much every position possible, including once through the window of a parked car.

I'm not sure how this information is helpful to you, but glad to oblige.

Location hidden

#231804 Jul 4, 2014
Aura Mytha wrote:
<quoted text>

What?
Huh?

“Seventh son”

Will Prevail

#231805 Jul 4, 2014
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
By definition.
Atheism, system of thought developed around the denial of God's existence. Atheism, so defined, first appeared during the Enlightenment, the age of reason (Random House Encyclopedia).
Atheism (Greek, a-[private prefix]+ theos, god) is the view that there is no divine being, no God (Dictionary of Philosophy, Thomas Mautner, Editor).
One of you, is born again every minute.

Location hidden

#231806 Jul 4, 2014
River Tam wrote:
<quoted text>
If a bird pecks my eyes out I'll be blind.
I like these debates.
If I had a quarter for every time I said "if I had a nickel," I'd have 5 times more money than if I said "if I had a nickel".

“Game Over”

Location hidden

#231807 Jul 4, 2014
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
By definition.
Random House !!!!

Dibs on the band name.

Location hidden

#231808 Jul 4, 2014
Aura Mytha wrote:
<quoted text>
One of you, is born again every minute.
One of you is born every time I take a crap.

“Game Over”

Location hidden

#231809 Jul 4, 2014
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
If I had a quarter for every time I said "if I had a nickel," I'd have 5 times more money than if I said "if I had a nickel".
If I had a zero for every time I multiplied 5 by zero, I'd have an infinite number of zeros. If I have a nickel and I divide it by zero, I have a nickel.

“Seventh son”

Will Prevail

#231810 Jul 4, 2014
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
One of you is born every time I take a crap.
Why do eat your children?

Location hidden

#231811 Jul 4, 2014
Aura Mytha wrote:
<quoted text>
Why do eat your children?
Why do you smell like a turd?
Thinking

Poole, UK

#231812 Jul 5, 2014
Not sure about that but Puck Frick's god would remain pitifully finite.
River Tam wrote:
<quoted text>
If I had a zero for every time I multiplied 5 by zero, I'd have an infinite number of zeros. If I have a nickel and I divide it by zero, I have a nickel.

“True Blue”

Since: Jun 13

Opal-Hearted Land

#231813 Jul 5, 2014
KiMare wrote:
<quoted text>
Honey, you can gay twirl all you want.
I picked one of numerous accounts that depict horrific treatment of LGBT's in the Indian culture. Are you really trying to deny abuse because it was accepted behavior in other cultures???
Even more idiotic, you are trying to assert that a culture's primitive understanding of orientation overrules the scientific understanding of orientation we now know. The hilarious thing is, you turn around and want to use the Indian expression as justification for modern expression of sexuality.
And you still are trying to avoid the original issue, the claim that American Indians held a high view of universally of LGBTs.
How terrible!

Isn't it lucky that some lovely European Xians came to abuse them further? The Spaniards with their Inquisition, then the English with their smallpox. Oh, then they took their lands.\

At least they gave them Xian morals, must be worth something.
:-/

“True Blue”

Opal-Hearted Land

#231814 Jul 5, 2014
ChristineM wrote:
<quoted text>
And I am Aphrodite , why are you not on your knees worshipping me
Grin
LOLOL!

“True Blue”

Opal-Hearted Land

#231815 Jul 5, 2014
Thinking wrote:
No. But religion is a defect that has held back humanity 1000+ years.
<quoted text>
I'll second that. Except that it's been more like 2000 years now.

“Game Over”

Location hidden

#231816 Jul 5, 2014
Thinking wrote:
Not sure about that but Puck Frick's god would remain pitifully finite.
<quoted text>
I'm sure about that.

CunningLinguist

Windermere, FL

#231817 Jul 5, 2014
Thinking wrote:
Your basic premise is wrong because infinity minus infinity can't be said to be zero: it is an indeterminate form, like 0/0.
The initial set up is almost certainly not static, so the rest of your post is bollocks.
Think!
<quoted text>
The Bible has failed fair, impartial, and universally applicable tests in multiple fields of science.

If God truly is the inspiration behind this purportedly divine declaration to the world, he shows absolutely no interest in its understandability or accuracy in astronomy, cosmology, zoology, botany, anthropology, geology, ecology, geography, physiology, many others.

Such is the power of science and reason. They are the impartial pursuit of an answer to a question, not the search for supplements to a predetermined answer.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

NCAA Basketball Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 8 min Nuculur option 1,394,921
What role do you think humans play in global wa... (Sep '14) 4 hr Too Easy 9,818
News Thousands Protest Roe V. Wade Decision (Jan '08) 6 hr zach 311,329
News UCLA FOOTBALL NOTEBOOK: Neuheisel says Prince w... (Sep '10) Sat Bruin For Life 32,288
News What they're saying about Bulls draft pick Bobb... (Jun '15) Jun 20 Tretre 6
News Judge overturns California's ban on same-sex ma... (Aug '10) Jun 13 Dump Trump 201,862
I got my loan from [email protected] (Jun '13) Jun 6 James Harry 41
More from around the web