Atheism requires as much faith as rel...

Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

There are 258461 comments on the Webbunny tumblelog story from Jul 18, 2009, titled Atheism requires as much faith as religion?. In it, Webbunny tumblelog reports that:

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Webbunny tumblelog.

“KiMare'a the Monster Mutation”

Since: Nov 10

Location hidden

#231734 Jul 3, 2014
KiMare wrote:
<quoted text>
Where did you get the idea I don't accept homosexuality? I don't even disagree that most homosexuals are born that way. Surprise.
However, calling it normal is a lie. A mating behavior that always fails when exercised in its innate function is defective.
My primary disagreement is equating mutually sterile, pointlessly duplicate gender couples with marriage.
Your denial of these facts only further establishes your position as Queen Blondie of the 'rational atheist' oxymorons...
Smile.
ChristineM wrote:
<quoted text>
Only from your post.
Why does sex have to always be about mating? You are not considering mutual pleasure. Have you never considered sex for pleasure? This could explain why you are such a failure.
And why do you object to people marrying because they love each other? Oh I get it’s because you don’t think that people who love each other should get married, they should only get married for mating – right?
Accurately noting that homosexuality is a sexual birth defect means I don't accept homosexuality??? What kind of logic is that?

Where did I say that sex is only about mating? I've said marriage is primarily about mating. If it were only about sex, marriage not only wouldn't be necessary, it'd be a hinderance.

I don't object to love. You don't need marriage to love. I note that words describe reality. Marriage describes a specific relationship that ss couples can never qualify for. They will always be inferior next to a fruitful, diverse gendered couple.

Smile.
Thinking

Poole, UK

#231735 Jul 3, 2014
Keep stomping. There are.

:)
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
Bull shit. There are no lines of infinite length. Nowhere. None.
And there are definitely not an infinite amount of them.
An atom containing an infinite number of "anything" of length greater than zero would be an atom so large it could not be contained on this planet, or the entire solar system.
One "anything" in an atom of infinite length would require that atom to be larger than the planet Jupiter, or a million Jupiters.
Thinking

Poole, UK

#231736 Jul 3, 2014
No. But religion is a defect that has held back humanity 1000+ years.
KiMare wrote:
KiMare wrote:
<quoted text>
Where did you get the idea I don't accept homosexuality? I don't even disagree that most homosexuals are born that way. Surprise.
However, calling it normal is a lie. A mating behavior that always fails when exercised in its innate function is defective.
My primary disagreement is equating mutually sterile, pointlessly duplicate gender couples with marriage.
Your denial of these facts only further establishes your position as Queen Blondie of the 'rational atheist' oxymorons...
Smile.
<quoted text>
Accurately noting that homosexuality is a sexual birth defect means I don't accept homosexuality??? What kind of logic is that?
Where did I say that sex is only about mating? I've said marriage is primarily about mating. If it were only about sex, marriage not only wouldn't be necessary, it'd be a hinderance.
I don't object to love. You don't need marriage to love. I note that words describe reality. Marriage describes a specific relationship that ss couples can never qualify for. They will always be inferior next to a fruitful, diverse gendered couple.
Smile.

“e pluribus unum”

Since: Dec 10

primus inter pares

#231737 Jul 3, 2014
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm a former football star at the biggest football university in the nation.
People pay money just to be seen with me. I pick up cash for bodyguard work, or for beating the shit out of someone for somebody.
And if you want them to stop paying to incarcerate me, I'm all for it.
HAHAHAH
You are saddest saga of human misery in the history of Alabama's Crimson tide.
You even made the coach cry, and didn't even like you.

“It's Time. . .”

Since: Jun 13

New Holland

#231738 Jul 4, 2014
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
Thanks, Blosya.
No worries. But I heard that it wasn't me who blows Bubba.

“When you treat people as they ”

treat you they get offended.

#231739 Jul 4, 2014
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
Bull shit.
According to Big Bang cosmology, the universe began finite, and expanded.
A sequence of a finite expanding by addition can never be infinite, by definition. Each finite addition results in a succeeding finite quantity, an always will.
With a finite volume, X, the next addition will be X + 1, then X +2,...
It can never be anything but finite.
Then like so much else you don’t understand the basics of cosmology. You are confusing the visible universe of you mind with the universe

Personally I will take the word of world leading cosmologists at NASA and the perimeter institute over the word of a convict of little intelligence

#231740 Jul 4, 2014
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
It's absurd to say "infinite to the same margin of error".
Infinity is not measurable, so no margin of error could possibly apply.
The effects of spatial infinity can and have been measured to within 0.4%

In scientific terms, how accurate is your guess that you base on obstinacy and lack of education?

#231741 Jul 4, 2014
Thinking wrote:
Puck Frick prays for no infinity because he constructed a god that is stunted.
<quoted text>
That’s not what he told me, he told me, long and thick, but he is after all a man prone to exaggeration so I sold him he was not to measure from his butt hole, he never got back to me
Thinking

Poole, UK

#231742 Jul 4, 2014
Long and thick? But enough about his beer gut.
ChristineM wrote:
<quoted text>
That’s not what he told me, he told me, long and thick, but he is after all a man prone to exaggeration so I sold him he was not to measure from his butt hole, he never got back to me

Since: May 10

Location hidden

#231743 Jul 4, 2014
Aura Mytha wrote:
<quoted text> HAHAHAH
You are saddest saga of human misery in the history of Alabama's Crimson tide.
You even made the coach cry, and didn't even like you.
Coach didn't like me?

He rushed to the hospital when I was shot and held my mother's hand during the surgery. He cried when he had to kick me off the team. He wrote letters to get me out of prison for an NFL tryout.

Pop off your stupid mouth some more, Ass Wipe.

Location hidden

#231744 Jul 4, 2014
ChristineM wrote:
<quoted text>
Then like so much else you don’t understand the basics of cosmology. You are confusing the visible universe of you mind with the universe
Personally I will take the word of world leading cosmologists at NASA and the perimeter institute over the word of a convict of little intelligence
You take their word, but you don't understand their words.

Location hidden

#231745 Jul 4, 2014
ChristineM wrote:
<quoted text>
The effects of spatial infinity can and have been measured to within 0.4%
In scientific terms, how accurate is your guess that you base on obstinacy and lack of education?
Infinity is not a realizable phenomenon. No actual infinity is possible in reality. It is a mental idea.

You don't know what you're talking about. As usual.

David Hilbert, greatest mathematician of the 20th century:

"The infinite is nowhere to be found in reality. It neither exists in nature nor provides a legitimate basis for rational thought. The role that remains for the infinite is solely that of an idea."

Gauss:

"Infinity is merely a figure of speech which helps us talk about limits"

Poincare: "Actual infinity does not exist. What we call infinite is only the endless possibility of creating new objects no matter how many exist already"

#231747 Jul 4, 2014
Thinking wrote:
Long and thick? But enough about his beer gut.
<quoted text>
Chuckle

#231748 Jul 4, 2014
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
You take their word, but you don't understand their words.
I am sure you would prefer me to take the word of a convict with a big mouth and a small brain?

Actually, for the most part understand, but I do tend to get a little out of my depth in the quantum foam, otherwise – You are wrong, as usual

“What game?”

Since: Oct 10

Location hidden

#231749 Jul 4, 2014
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
Coach didn't like me?
He rushed to the hospital when I was shot and held my mother's hand during the surgery.
Was she trying to shoot you again?

;-)

Hi Buck !!!!

“What game?”

Since: Oct 10

Location hidden

#231750 Jul 4, 2014
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
Infinity is not a realizable phenomenon. No actual infinity is possible in reality. It is a mental idea.
Poincare: "Actual infinity does not exist. What we call infinite is only the endless possibility of creating new objects no matter how many exist already"
Infinity has zero influence on me.

#231751 Jul 4, 2014
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
Wrong again. Space has been measured to be flat and therefore infinite

NASA “Recent measurements (c. 2001) by a number of ground-based and balloon-based experiments, including MAT/TOCO, Boomerang, Maxima, and DASI, have shown that the brightest spots are about 1 degree across. Thus the universe was known to be flat to within about 15% accuracy prior to the WMAP results. WMAP has confirmed this result with very high accuracy and precision. We now know (as of 2013) that the universe is flat with only a 0.4% margin of error. This suggests that the Universe is infinite in extent; however, since the Universe has a finite age, we can only observe a finite volume of the Universe. All we can truly conclude is that the Universe is much larger than the volume we can directly observe.”

Hilbert died over 70 years ago, things have moved on a bit since then

Poincare died over 100 years ago, things have moved on a bit since then

Gauss died over 150 years ago, things have moved on a bit since then
Thinking

Poole, UK

#231752 Jul 4, 2014
Puck Frick keeps quoting people from the olden days, whilst science is cracking on regardless.
River Tam wrote:
<quoted text>
Infinity has zero influence on me.

“KiMare'a the Monster Mutation”

Location hidden

#231755 Jul 4, 2014
Thinking wrote:
No. But religion is a defect that has held back humanity 1000+ years.
<quoted text>
You mean by having food banks in your community for atheists living on the street. Or helping pregnant woman keep their child instead of killing them?

The perversion of a 'rational atheist' oxymoron.

Location hidden

#231756 Jul 4, 2014
ChristineM wrote:
<quoted text>
Wrong again. Space has been measured to be flat and therefore infinite
NASA “Recent measurements (c. 2001) by a number of ground-based and balloon-based experiments, including MAT/TOCO, Boomerang, Maxima, and DASI, have shown that the brightest spots are about 1 degree across. Thus the universe was known to be flat to within about 15% accuracy prior to the WMAP results. WMAP has confirmed this result with very high accuracy and precision. We now know (as of 2013) that the universe is flat with only a 0.4% margin of error. This suggests that the Universe is infinite in extent; however, since the Universe has a finite age, we can only observe a finite volume of the Universe. All we can truly conclude is that the Universe is much larger than the volume we can directly observe.”
Hilbert died over 70 years ago, things have moved on a bit since then
Poincare died over 100 years ago, things have moved on a bit since then
Gauss died over 150 years ago, things have moved on a bit since then
No matter when they died, the identification of the concept of infinity remains as it was then - which is an unrealizable phenomenon which serves as an idea for discussing limits and sets. That's all. It is imaginary.

The passage you cite is not using the true sense of the term "infinity". They would properly say that the extent of the universe is indeterminate, not infinite. They admit in the same passage that it is indeterminate, but by mis-using the term, suggest it is determined to be infinite, which is not true.

Your passage also admits a finite age of the universe, which proves it cannot be infinite in extent. A finite series of steps produces a sequence of finite results - PERIOD.

For a finite series of events to produce an infinite result is LOGICALLY IMPOSSIBLE. PERIOD.

I don't expect you to understand any of this.

Nothing in the universe is infinite. It is impossible.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

NCAA Basketball Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 6 min Putins Puppet 1,479,348
What role do you think humans play in global wa... (Sep '14) 37 min Brian_G 10,669
News UCLA FOOTBALL NOTEBOOK: Neuheisel says Prince w... (Sep '10) 1 hr Trojan 32,714
News Thousands Protest Roe V. Wade Decision (Jan '08) 4 hr Susanm 313,195
News Western Michigan heads to Illinois as a favorite 9 hr Go Blue Forever 75
legitimate loan lender (Oct '13) 10 hr louis 19
News Judge overturns California's ban on same-sex ma... (Aug '10) Sun RiccardoFire 201,892
More from around the web