Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

There are 20 comments on the Jul 18, 2009, Webbunny tumblelog story titled Atheism requires as much faith as religion?. In it, Webbunny tumblelog reports that:

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Webbunny tumblelog.

Thinking

Sturminster Newton, UK

#231249 Jun 26, 2014
Do you believe in the flood as told in the bible? Are you like 5 years old?
waaasssuuup wrote:
<quoted text>
"A billion+ people believe in many reincarnations..."
i suppose those alive at the time of the flood believed just about every strange idea EXCEPT for what Noah believed!
"AS IT WAS IN THE DAYS OF NOAH, SO SHALL IT BE IN THE END" - JESUS

“What are you looking at?”

Since: Jan 08

Albuquerque, NM

#231250 Jun 26, 2014
CunningLinguist wrote:
<quoted text>
The book of Exodus ?
** fine tunes Acme giggle meter
Egyptian history doesn't record Moses. It's too bad and so sad he doesn't exist.
http://www.touregypt.net/featurestories/moses...
** summons global and local demons to conference. The plan to drain the Holy See is the topic.
I assert nothing.
I examine the topic, view the available information, and post my comment for my own amusement. What others think is totally irrelevant. In fact, the more animated and robust they become the more entertaining and funny it becomes for me.
.Elims
in addition.....Dr. Hawass - Dir of Egyptian Antiquities - also promotes that the Exodus didn't occur.

“Really, it’s a myth,” Dr. Hawass said of the story of the Exodus, as he stood at the foot of a wall built during what is called the New Kingdom."
http://www.nytimes.com/2007/04/03/world/afric...

For another take on this - I've recently (and for the past few months) been reading a book by Graham Hancock and Robert Bauval "The Message of the Sphinx".....

http://www.amazon.com/Message-Sphinx-Hidden-L...

...and they posit that the current "history" of Egypt is missing information.

They say this, because of the astronomical alignment of the Giza plateau - namely teh Sphinx. They, with other scientists, agree that the Sphinx was constructed in a much earlier time - "The First Time" - to mimic what the stars were doing as they transverse the sky.

Soooo...the Exodus could have occurred during the period of pre-Dynastic pharaohs - unrecorded for the most part of who is who.

"In 1858, our notable Auguste Mariette was commissioned by the Duke of Luynes to verify Pliny the Elder's statements regarding that the Sphinx was built and not monolithic. He opened a site near the pyramid attributed to Cheops (who reigned 2551-2528 BC, 4th Dynasty) and in a nearby shrine of Isis, he found the stele called "Inventory" where it says that the sphinx and the large pyramid existed well before the reign of the leaders of the 4th dynasty before 2575 B.C. The text states that: "During the reign of Cheops he ordered the construction of a monument along the Sphinx." Logically this means that the Sphinx was already there before ... But if it was there at the time of Cheops, this means that contrary to what the "mainstream" says, a fortiori, it could not have been built on order of Chephren's successor on the throne!"
http://www.gigalresearch.com/uk/publications-...

Another aspect - which leans that the Exodus DID occur is a stela in the Egyptian Museum - "the Ahmose “Tempest” Stela" - not on public display anywhere, but in a Cairo storage.

The author of this article seems to dismiss Jacobovici's theory with this statement:
'Jacobovici claims that Ahmose’s Tempest Stela reports, from an Egyptian perspective, the same events as the biblical ten plagues story, but this claim hangs by the slimmest of threads."

“let's do this thang!”

Since: Aug 10

Location hidden

#231251 Jun 26, 2014
Thinking wrote:
<quoted text>
do you NOT believe in the flood as told in the Bible? what, are you like the multitude of morons in Noah's day?

“let's do this thang!”

Since: Aug 10

Location hidden

#231252 Jun 26, 2014
Thinking wrote:
<quoted text>
btw - i'm guessing you also believe that homosexuality is a valid life-style, like the moronic multitudes of sodomites did in the days of sodom and gomorrah!

"as it was in the days of sodom, so shall it be in the end" - Jesus
CunningLinguist

Jacksonville, FL

#231253 Jun 26, 2014
New Age Spiritual Leader wrote:
<quoted text>
in addition.....Dr. Hawass - Dir of Egyptian Antiquities - also promotes that the Exodus didn't occur.
“Really, it’s a myth,” Dr. Hawass said of the story of the Exodus, as he stood at the foot of a wall built during what is called the New Kingdom."
http://www.nytimes.com/2007/04/03/world/afric...
For another take on this - I've recently (and for the past few months) been reading a book by Graham Hancock and Robert Bauval "The Message of the Sphinx".....
http://www.amazon.com/Message-Sphinx-Hidden-L...
...and they posit that the current "history" of Egypt is missing information.
They say this, because of the astronomical alignment of the Giza plateau - namely teh Sphinx. They, with other scientists, agree that the Sphinx was constructed in a much earlier time - "The First Time" - to mimic what the stars were doing as they transverse the sky.
Soooo...the Exodus could have occurred during the period of pre-Dynastic pharaohs - unrecorded for the most part of who is who.
"In 1858, our notable Auguste Mariette was commissioned by the Duke of Luynes to verify Pliny the Elder's statements regarding that the Sphinx was built and not monolithic. He opened a site near the pyramid attributed to Cheops (who reigned 2551-2528 BC, 4th Dynasty) and in a nearby shrine of Isis, he found the stele called "Inventory" where it says that the sphinx and the large pyramid existed well before the reign of the leaders of the 4th dynasty before 2575 B.C. The text states that: "During the reign of Cheops he ordered the construction of a monument along the Sphinx." Logically this means that the Sphinx was already there before ... But if it was there at the time of Cheops, this means that contrary to what the "mainstream" says, a fortiori, it could not have been built on order of Chephren's successor on the throne!"
http://www.gigalresearch.com/uk/publications-...
Another aspect - which leans that the Exodus DID occur is a stela in the Egyptian Museum - "the Ahmose “Tempest” Stela" - not on public display anywhere, but in a Cairo storage.
The author of this article seems to dismiss Jacobovici's theory with this statement:
'Jacobovici claims that Ahmose’s Tempest Stela reports, from an Egyptian perspective, the same events as the biblical ten plagues story, but this claim hangs by the slimmest of threads."
*gasp!

Thanks for overloading my brain cells with the information, well done!

Your opinion yes or no - did the Egyptians create the first religion?

“KiMare'a the Monster Mutation”

Since: Nov 10

Location hidden

#231254 Jun 26, 2014
ChristineM wrote:
<quoted text>
Legally, no, but never mind that, either take topix and to court or stop whinging
Legally, yes.

Did you think I was whining?

I've dealt with that libel since 1996, long before I retired in 2005 after 20 years as Pastor of the Church.

The fact is, your libel about it only exposes the weakness of a 'rational atheist' oxymoron's position and character.

So go for it honey.

Smile.
CunningLinguist

Jacksonville, FL

#231255 Jun 26, 2014
waaasssuuup wrote:
<quoted text>
was susan b a big fat butch? i REALLY distrust those!
btw - are you trying to threaten me with eternal extinction? cuz that's about the cruelest bullying tactic there is!
http://susanbanthonyhouse.org/her-story/biogr...

She was quite a gal - courageous check her out.

How can I threaten you with something that doesn't exist?

Default prize: Hell Heaven Purgatory or a charming villa on the French Riviera.

Location hidden

#231256 Jun 26, 2014
Thinking wrote:
<quoted text>
Desperately trying to change the subject from the afterlife?

I understand sissy.

Smile.

Location hidden

#231257 Jun 26, 2014
<quoted text>
a. I'm not your "honey" - so your endearment is worthless.
b. I have plenty of faith. Are you implying that I am faithless? How did you come to this conclusion?
New Age - believes in what Jesus taught, thus - plenty of faith and probably more so than you consider yourself to have.
I accept all of what Jesus taught - and since you don't - it sounds like you lack faith in Jesus.
Maybe you don't argue with faithless people, is because you lack so much of it in Jesus, that you fit right in with those you oppose.
Honey, your view is rejected by people of faith. The vast majority from the beginning of the Church until now.

The baseless arrogance of your assertion only exposes your insincerity.

Smile.

Location hidden

#231258 Jun 26, 2014
<quoted text>
So you don't argue with the "faithless"....yet will with what you call an Atheist.
You do post as if you are confused or more accurately, just chose to not converse with me.
I understand - most so-called "Christians" usually pull that same card with me, AFTER I had shown them that their belief is skewed and not one that believes in Jesus and what he taught.
Like I said, I understand completely - you like being told how to believe.
Carry on.
Asking an atheist to explain the universal awareness of an afterlife is hardly arguing the Christian faith.

For future reference, I will correct an incorrect assertion about what the Bible says. I will not argue doctrine.

You come across as a teenage girl, how old are you?

Smile.

“H-o-o-o-o-o-o-ld on thar!”

Since: Sep 08

The Borderland of Sol

#231259 Jun 26, 2014
ChristineM wrote:
<quoted text>
It this retirement for you or a case of Kerry calling you home?
You’ll have to get used to the weather over here all over again. I have trouble when I’ve been in a warm country for just a few days. Actually we are going through a warm snap at the moment (between 19 and 24C) across the UK and here in Lancashire have had no rain for more than a week – must be summer.
<quoted text>
Fine thanks, busy and hectic, but that’s life.
I just wanna go home.
And, yes, it's still "home" to me.

Albuquerque, NM

#231260 Jun 26, 2014
CunningLinguist wrote:
<quoted text>
*gasp!
Thanks for overloading my brain cells with the information, well done!
Your opinion yes or no - did the Egyptians create the first religion?
LOL

Didn't mean to - just wanted to post some alternate theories and facts that you hadn't.

We all learn new things all the time - just don't stop doing so......

(2) Jesus says:

(1) "The one who seeks should not cease seeking until he finds.
(2) And when he finds, he will be dismayed.
(3) And when he is dismayed, he will be astonished.
(4) And he will be king over the All."

http://www.gnosis.org/naghamm/gth_pat_rob.htm

"Your opinion yes or no - did the Egyptians create the first religion?"

Good question.....considering that the Egyptians and the early Central American Olmec and Toltec Indians were also creating communities at the same time, but thousands of miles away from Egypt.

IMO - I've read alot of information on religion, its origins and so forth....and ya know - I've yet to come to a conclusion on where it all began.

We could go back to about 11000 BCE and note that the Clovis people had burying rituals - which could be construed as "religious" based - or a comparison to spiritualism.

So in truth - I don't know who created "religion" - per se. I do believe a form of "spiritualism" had existed. and religion was born through it.

Does that help?

Cheers!

Albuquerque, NM

#231261 Jun 26, 2014

b. I have plenty of faith. Are you implying that I am faithless? How did you come to this conclusion?
New Age - believes in what Jesus taught, thus - plenty of faith and probably more so than you consider yourself to have.
I accept all of what Jesus taught - and since you don't - it sounds like you lack faith in Jesus.
Maybe you don't argue with faithless people, is because you lack so much of it in Jesus, that you fit right in with those you oppose.
KiMare wrote:
<quoted text>
Honey, your view is rejected by people of faith. The vast majority from the beginning of the Church until now.
The baseless arrogance of your assertion only exposes your insincerity.
Smile.
a. I'm not your "honey" - so please don't use it when posting to me. If you continue, I will have to start using my own "endearing" words when addressing you. And in truth, my endearments are nothing like yours.

"your view is rejected by people of faith. The vast majority from the beginning of the Church until now."
- Incorrect conclusion. I have faith and I don't reject Jesus' teachings. So you are wrong.
- The vast majority of men chose to present you with their version of a belief. So you accepted this format and chose to believe what men tell you. Not only on what to believe, but how to believe.
+ Please post where "God" specifically states which texts are of "His inspiration" and which are not. I want to make sure I am following "God", and not men - like you have been doing.
+ The so-called "Church" has never been fully defined. Do you have a definition that can be used. I've been trying to formulate one, but since only so-called "Catholics" use it more often than others, you are probably Catholic by lineage and promote that definition. Soooooo - what is the definition of the "Church"?

"The baseless arrogance of your assertion only exposes your insincerity."
- baseless arrogance? I think not. Maybe you should have been more pointed and accurate by saying, "Your research has pointed ouot some facts that I don't abide by, because they are not within the religion I was given to by other men."

Your ignorance to your religion is the point I've been making, and it has nothing to do with sincerity, arrogance, or whatever - all it has done is point out the fallacies you continue to promote in order to mislead others with wrong information. I don't.
Thinking

Sturminster Newton, UK

#231262 Jun 26, 2014
So you worship a god that drowned every baby on the ark. You're an evil fuckwit.
waaasssuuup wrote:
<quoted text>
do you NOT believe in the flood as told in the Bible? what, are you like the multitude of morons in Noah's day?
Thinking

Sturminster Newton, UK

#231263 Jun 26, 2014
not on the ark ^
Thinking

Sturminster Newton, UK

#231264 Jun 26, 2014
Of course. Whereas your sodom and gomorrah story says that god endorses child rape.

You're backing the wrong cu*t.
waaasssuuup wrote:
<quoted text>
btw - i'm guessing you also believe that homosexuality is a valid life-style, like the moronic multitudes of sodomites did in the days of sodom and gomorrah!
"as it was in the days of sodom, so shall it be in the end" - Jesus
Thinking

Sturminster Newton, UK

#231265 Jun 26, 2014
Have you forgotten who you're logged in as or are you retarded?

I only post here as "Thinking".
KiMare wrote:
<quoted text>
Desperately trying to change the subject from the afterlife?
I understand sissy.
Smile.
Thinking

Sturminster Newton, UK

#231266 Jun 26, 2014
Kerry is a beautiful part of the world. Hope it all works out for you.
macumazahn wrote:
<quoted text>I just wanna go home.
And, yes, it's still "home" to me.

Location hidden

#231267 Jun 26, 2014
<quoted text>
a. I'm not your "honey" - so please don't use it when posting to me. If you continue, I will have to start using my own "endearing" words when addressing you. And in truth, my endearments are nothing like yours.
"your view is rejected by people of faith. The vast majority from the beginning of the Church until now."
- Incorrect conclusion. I have faith and I don't reject Jesus' teachings. So you are wrong.
- The vast majority of men chose to present you with their version of a belief. So you accepted this format and chose to believe what men tell you. Not only on what to believe, but how to believe.
+ Please post where "God" specifically states which texts are of "His inspiration" and which are not. I want to make sure I am following "God", and not men - like you have been doing.
+ The so-called "Church" has never been fully defined. Do you have a definition that can be used. I've been trying to formulate one, but since only so-called "Catholics" use it more often than others, you are probably Catholic by lineage and promote that definition. Soooooo - what is the definition of the "Church"?
"The baseless arrogance of your assertion only exposes your insincerity."
- baseless arrogance? I think not. Maybe you should have been more pointed and accurate by saying, "Your research has pointed ouot some facts that I don't abide by, because they are not within the religion I was given to by other men."
Your ignorance to your religion is the point I've been making, and it has nothing to do with sincerity, arrogance, or whatever - all it has done is point out the fallacies you continue to promote in order to mislead others with wrong information. I don't.
Blondie,

I don't care what belief system you have, I accurately noted that the vast majority of historical Christianity rejects it.

You have no idea what I accept and from whom. You ASSume way too much.

There are plenty of resources available for you to learn Christian doctrine. You know that. The truth is, you are not interested in Christian doctrine, are you.

I'm curious, how many people follow your belief system? Do you think they run a food bank in my community? Did other men write your belief system, or did you make it up? How's that going?

Smile.

Location hidden

#231268 Jun 26, 2014
Thinking wrote:
I only post here as "Thinking".
<quoted text>
And we keep waiting and waiting to see it...

So you are stilling thinking about the afterlife? I thought you were an 'rational atheist' oxymoron?

Now you join the universal wonder of the human race.

Smile.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

NCAA Basketball Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 6 min Incognito4Ever 1,220,341
News UCLA FOOTBALL NOTEBOOK: Neuheisel says Prince w... (Sep '10) 28 min Bruin For Life 29,638
News Thousands Protest Roe V. Wade Decision (Jan '08) 7 hr Pearl Jam 309,679
What role do you think humans play in global wa... (Sep '14) 16 hr OzRitz 5,299
News Kecoughtan High teacher resigns after drug charges (Nov '07) 22 hr Yogurt Nads 82
Conor Clifford 7ft center to commit to Utah. Apr 19 UHB 1
News Judge overturns California's ban on same-sex ma... (Aug '10) Apr 16 ocean 201,862
More from around the web