Atheism requires as much faith as rel...

Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

There are 258482 comments on the Webbunny tumblelog story from Jul 18, 2009, titled Atheism requires as much faith as religion?. In it, Webbunny tumblelog reports that:

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Webbunny tumblelog.

“A sentient umbrella speaks”

Since: Mar 11

Some stable somewhere

#231451 Jun 30, 2014
ChristINSANITY is EVIL wrote:
<quoted text>
Dam one learn something new here every day,,
,What were the other genders Native Americans had ?
It depended on which group, but usually 3 and some had 4. I use 'men' and 'women' to denote gender and 'male' and 'female' to denote sex.

Generally, men were hunters and warriors. They ranged further from the group than women. Women raised children and prepared food. Each wore a gender appropriate clothing.

If a male wore the woman's dress and took up woman's work, the male became known as a "two-spirit" person or, in this case, a "womanly man." They basically took up the women's gender and had some magical/medicinal roles (like foretelling the future or dealing with spirits or whatever).

In some groups, females could likewise take up the man's role, wearing men's clothing and hunting, being a warrior.

Their marriage system is based on gender, not sex. So a man could marry a woman or a womanly man. A womanly man could not marry a woman or another womanly man. A manly woman (in the warrior role) could marry a woman, but not a man or a womanly man.

So their understanding of sex, gender and sexuality differs from ours quite a bit. These Christians never get that, b/c they "know" they have the "right" system - and everyone else is a "failed" version of them. So they totally ignore the role culture plays in how people behave - especially in why religious people honestly experience their religion as real.

Yet all believers live in a subjective reality that is based on their religion; all religions are both subjectively real - and therefore "true" in a sense - and human constructed.

Here, we are attacking that subjective reality and we are treated to a wonderful display of egotistical, arrogant and, more than anything, desperate defense of it.

:)

Thanks for asking an interesting question!

Some stable somewhere

#231452 Jun 30, 2014
KiMare wrote:
<quoted text>
I forgot, you reason like a girl.
A blonde girl specifically.
And you talk out of your ass.
Smile.
So...that's your defense of your mythology?

Hiding: 1
KiMare: 0

Some stable somewhere

#231453 Jun 30, 2014
sweets2360 wrote:
<quoted text>
But they didn't know right from wrong til after they ate the fruit. So it would be like sitting candy on the floor with a couple of kids running around. So whose fault would that be? The parents for sitting it within reach, or the kids who don't know the difference? Parents of course. God set them up for failure which means he is not a god, just a failure himself, or itself, I would never give a god a gender.
Besides, god lied to them. They did not die when they ate the fruit. There were not supposed to live forever anyway, cause they were kicked out of the garden, lest they eat of the tree of life. Remember?
So we are supposed to have a god that tricks A&E and lies to them? That is not even a demigod. It is a cartoon god for heavens sake.
Well...it's for kids.

Some stable somewhere

#231454 Jun 30, 2014
Cheetah wrote:
<quoted text>
God did not create a Satan. On the contrary, He created the most powerful, beautiful, and intelligent spirit being ever, who was called Lucifer, which means Light. He was a perfect being.
It is only when he rebelled against God that he became Satan, which means Opponent.
Here is how the Bible describes him " Thou was perfect in thy ways until iniquity was found in thee."
That is when God decided to create Man, another intelligent being, but much less than Lucifer/Satan, and of material, mortal substance, rather than an undecaying spirit being.
This is for Man's own good and according to God's plan, so that those humans who decide to oppose Him and not willing to be under His rule will not have to live forever.
God has a tremendous plan for the universe and those humans who love Him and willing to be under His rule, who will eventually take charge of the earth and later the whole universe. They will replace Lucifer/Satan in this capacity.
Most Christians do not know about this plan, because Satan has "deceived the whole world."
Satan is still ruler of this world, and Jesus himself confirmed this. Which is why there is so much evil, injustice and wars in this world, because it is influenced by Satan.
Jesus himself talked constantly about this plan of God, though few Christians understand it, let alone non-Christians.
"The door is narrow, and the path narrow, and FEW be that find it." In other words very few even know about it.
That's a neat myth, thanks!

Wait...wait...so you actually believe that the entire world is evil? That's quite troubling, sir or ma'am. You have a very strange religion if you are being honest here.

Some stable somewhere

#231455 Jun 30, 2014
Thinking wrote:
I also read that the Y-chromosome seems to be holding up and degenerating far more slowly now. But the unscientific story, "We're all going to be women" sells more newspapers.
<quoted text>
mwahahahhaa, I live for the day when you are all women!

Oh, wait, noooooooooooooooooooooo!!! I take it back, itakeitback!!!
Thinking

UK

#231456 Jun 30, 2014
If jesus is part of an all powerful god that extruded an avatar then any sacrifice is pretty meaningless.

Anyway, if there was a new deal in the NT why does child birth still hurt?

None of your beliefs stack up.
Lab28 wrote:
<quoted text>
It really is a waste of time, and we're not called to judge. But, here's some speculation:
I really don't want to butcher grace doctrine, as it is the most important thing about Christianity. It's pretty much the reason we put crosses everywhere, so let's start from there.
So, Christ was mocked, ridiculed, tortured, and crucified in order to pay the debt owed for our transgressions. It was the sacrifice in order to cover all sin and make us righteous in the eyes of God. Keep in mind too, that Christ didn't wait for us to get our acts together to do it. He did this while we were indifferent to God. It was an act of love that speaks to His character.
So, what does this mean to someone who has accepted that God loves them enough not only to meticulously create them, sewing them together in their mother's womb. But also to forgive them for the numerous ways that they are going to walk away from Him.
Well, there should be a bit of a dichotomy. I am seen as perfect, but not for anything that I did. But because of what has been done for me. I should be confident, but also humble.
What does this have to do with Adolf Hitler? Excellent question. Well, do you honestly believe that someone can truly accept grace, be grateful that God has forgiven them, choose to follow Christ out of that gratitude and then kill themselves? Do you think that someone of Hitler's character would turn around and realize that he is a hopeless sinner and needs forgiveness, that he would level his pride and accept Christ?
Probably not, but I can't see into people's hearts. There are a lot of hypocrites, there are total fakes, and it isn't easy to spot who sins because they aren't trying and who sins because they fell prey to their nature. It's better to simply give allowances for each other, show compassion and not try to figure out who the fakes are. Trust that God knows and sees and He will sort it out.
Another key thing to remember is that it isn't based on ones on works, or how we behave. It is dictated by our relationship with Christ. But then our behavior becomes indicative of that relationship. If I say I love my wife and then go sleep with another woman you probably would question how much I really love my wife, right? Same kind of thing, being wicked but also Christian is inconsistent. It isn't living out the implications of your faith, but I am not the one to judge who is saved. God is.
Lab28

Anaheim, CA

#231457 Jun 30, 2014
Thinking wrote:
Surely you could find a better god than the baby drowner?
www.godchecker.com
<quoted text>
I admire your compassion for those babies that were killed during the flood. Thank God that he promises never to send a flood to cover the earth again.

I wonder if you've ever been in the situation where you had to show "tough love" to somebody. Where somebodies actions had forced your hand to where you had to put them on the streets where you know they will be unsafe, or you had to walk away from somebody you knew was going to continue a downward spiral that could very likely result in their death.

I dunno if you've ever experienced the disappointment when somebody that you had such high hopes for ends up stuck in a cycle that you cannot convince them they have a choice to get out of. I think if you had, you might be able to relate to God's disappointment in man when he decided to flood the earth.

Some stable somewhere

#231458 Jun 30, 2014
Thinking wrote:
The way you talk about women, anyone would think you were a massively old religitard.
Oh. You are.
Slime.
<quoted text>
Yeah, he's a cute, religious sexist. Very nice.

Uhm...what was his name before? Can't recall...if it's the same guy. Not super bright, great reading comprehension problems, but some occasionally insightful comments...a non-alcohol drinker b/c of serious issues with it, and an ex-convict (none of those I hold against him - good for him for paying his time, getting drinking under control).

Uhm...Skom! Is this Skombolis? Skom was a bit more fun though. This guy seems pretty bent on mis-arrogantly hating everyone.
Thinking

UK

#231459 Jun 30, 2014
My feet are not small. I'd never cut it in Jimmy Choos!
Hidingfromyou wrote:
<quoted text>
mwahahahhaa, I live for the day when you are all women!
Oh, wait, noooooooooooooooooooooo!!! I take it back, itakeitback!!!

Some stable somewhere

#231460 Jun 30, 2014
Lab28 wrote:
<quoted text>
It really is a waste of time, and we're not called to judge. But, here's some speculation:
I really don't want to butcher grace doctrine, as it is the most important thing about Christianity. It's pretty much the reason we put crosses everywhere, so let's start from there.
So, Christ was mocked, ridiculed, tortured, and crucified in order to pay the debt owed for our transgressions. It was the sacrifice in order to cover all sin and make us righteous in the eyes of God. Keep in mind too, that Christ didn't wait for us to get our acts together to do it. He did this while we were indifferent to God. It was an act of love that speaks to His character.
So, what does this mean to someone who has accepted that God loves them enough not only to meticulously create them, sewing them together in their mother's womb. But also to forgive them for the numerous ways that they are going to walk away from Him.
Well, there should be a bit of a dichotomy. I am seen as perfect, but not for anything that I did. But because of what has been done for me. I should be confident, but also humble.
What does this have to do with Adolf Hitler? Excellent question. Well, do you honestly believe that someone can truly accept grace, be grateful that God has forgiven them, choose to follow Christ out of that gratitude and then kill themselves? Do you think that someone of Hitler's character would turn around and realize that he is a hopeless sinner and needs forgiveness, that he would level his pride and accept Christ?
Probably not, but I can't see into people's hearts. There are a lot of hypocrites, there are total fakes, and it isn't easy to spot who sins because they aren't trying and who sins because they fell prey to their nature. It's better to simply give allowances for each other, show compassion and not try to figure out who the fakes are. Trust that God knows and sees and He will sort it out.
Another key thing to remember is that it isn't based on ones on works, or how we behave. It is dictated by our relationship with Christ. But then our behavior becomes indicative of that relationship. If I say I love my wife and then go sleep with another woman you probably would question how much I really love my wife, right? Same kind of thing, being wicked but also Christian is inconsistent. It isn't living out the implications of your faith, but I am not the one to judge who is saved. God is.
Huh?

Ok...

1. if you bring up Hitler, you've already lost the argument. That's the rules of Internet arguing.
2. Hitler and Christ in the same extended paragraph??? Huh?
3. Are you claiming that, by suiciding, Hitler didn't go to Heaven? And that's it - the suicide here that's important?!?

4. Since you brought up Hitler, do you know who Kurt Vonnegut is?

Last, most important question:

5. According to Vonnegut, what are Hitler's words to the world from up in Heaven?(Yes, in Vonnegut's short piece, Hitler is in Heaven, too - do you know why? Oh, no, that was two questions!!!)

Some stable somewhere

#231461 Jun 30, 2014
Lab28 wrote:
<quoted text>
I admire your compassion for those babies that were killed during the flood. Thank God that he promises never to send a flood to cover the earth again.
I wonder if you've ever been in the situation where you had to show "tough love" to somebody. Where somebodies actions had forced your hand to where you had to put them on the streets where you know they will be unsafe, or you had to walk away from somebody you knew was going to continue a downward spiral that could very likely result in their death.
I dunno if you've ever experienced the disappointment when somebody that you had such high hopes for ends up stuck in a cycle that you cannot convince them they have a choice to get out of. I think if you had, you might be able to relate to God's disappointment in man when he decided to flood the earth.
You're still talking about myths, right?

Because no thinking adult could possibly believe in the story of the flood as described in your mythological book. Only children, or the most naive and uneducated of people - I mean, seriously, that's the very definition of nonsense.

As a story, you can analyze it to get themes, sure. One being that the deity you espouse is nasty. The other being that Ancient Israelites must have really hated all the non-Jews. Third is that, at the time the story was made up, no one had the slightest clue how to explain natural disasters, yet they wanted to, so they ordered them via mythology.

Some stable somewhere

#231462 Jun 30, 2014
Thinking wrote:
My feet are not small. I'd never cut it in Jimmy Choos!
<quoted text>
You can be butch then and wear Doc's.

“The Bible is no science book”

Since: Jan 08

Location hidden

#231463 Jun 30, 2014
Cheetah wrote:
<quoted text>
In a way you are right, but also like most Christians you lack understanding of God's Plan.
Yes, God did intend for Adam and Eve to fall, otherwise He wouldn't have pitted the most intelligent being He ever created against two innocent beings. Like your good example of putting sweets in front of little innocent children.
If Adam and Eve did not fall, God's plan for the rest of subsequent humanity would not have worked.
God wants to show humans how weak and vulnerable they are, and that their ultimate folly will lead to their, and the world's, destruction, which is not far away.
This in fact is the whole lesson of the Bible, from start to finish.
Man must learn by experience where his ways without God's rule will lead.
Then the second phase of God's plan will start.
No, that is the plan of the CHURCH. Tell man how sorry you were to be born human, you are worthless, you are unredeemable unless you listen to them, bow your head and follow their instruction. Do you realize the magnitude financially and power wise this places the church? Billions of dollars and a ready made army willing to kill, torture and do the churches bidding?

Do all of you Christians await with baited breath for the worlds destruction? Is that a goal in your life? If yes, then tell me why you would wish for that. Why do you want other humans to die and suffer? If not by god, but by your hands, following what you were told was gods plan?

What makes you or any other human so special that you can speak for a god that lives outside all known matter and how did they receive those special plans? That faulty bible? The book of Genesis is a sham, so why would you believe any other part of it?

That is exactly why many of us oppose you. Its one thing for you to be willing to die for this god, but you will not drag the rest of us down with you.

“KiMare'a the Monster Mutation”

Since: Nov 10

Location hidden

#231464 Jun 30, 2014
Thinking wrote:
"If someone is depraved, kill their kids" - kimare.
<quoted text>
Post where I said that.

Smile.

“KiMare'a the Monster Mutation”

Since: Nov 10

Location hidden

#231466 Jun 30, 2014
Hidingfromyou wrote:
<quoted text>
It depended on which group, but usually 3 and some had 4. I use 'men' and 'women' to denote gender and 'male' and 'female' to denote sex.
Generally, men were hunters and warriors. They ranged further from the group than women. Women raised children and prepared food. Each wore a gender appropriate clothing.
If a male wore the woman's dress and took up woman's work, the male became known as a "two-spirit" person or, in this case, a "womanly man." They basically took up the women's gender and had some magical/medicinal roles (like foretelling the future or dealing with spirits or whatever).
In some groups, females could likewise take up the man's role, wearing men's clothing and hunting, being a warrior.
Their marriage system is based on gender, not sex. So a man could marry a woman or a womanly man. A womanly man could not marry a woman or another womanly man. A manly woman (in the warrior role) could marry a woman, but not a man or a womanly man.
So their understanding of sex, gender and sexuality differs from ours quite a bit. These Christians never get that, b/c they "know" they have the "right" system - and everyone else is a "failed" version of them. So they totally ignore the role culture plays in how people behave - especially in why religious people honestly experience their religion as real.
Yet all believers live in a subjective reality that is based on their religion; all religions are both subjectively real - and therefore "true" in a sense - and human constructed.
Here, we are attacking that subjective reality and we are treated to a wonderful display of egotistical, arrogant and, more than anything, desperate defense of it.
'Two spirit' is a term invented in 1983, the original term was 'berdaches'.

I've read the original accounts.

They were basically transgendered Indians who were most often horrible treated and abused by their tribe.

The sexual birth defects of LGBT are found in all cultures.
number four

Since: May 12

Las Vegas, NV

#231467 Jun 30, 2014
Hidingfromyou wrote:
<quoted text>
This was at a time when existence was very trying , and every able body mattered ...NOW...Homosexuals are regarded as sexual deviants in today's Native American tribes ...

All societies ( world wide ) have regarded the active homosexual as someone deviant ...this has nothing to do with Christianity ...

That the West , is moving in a direction that claims immorality is now acceptable ..

I'm afraid we've hobbled ourselves , oh well ...every Empire must die , I just wish that it wasn't by suicide ...
number four

Las Vegas, NV

#231468 Jun 30, 2014
sweets2360 wrote:
<quoted text>
No, that is the plan of the CHURCH. Tell man how sorry you were to be born human, you are worthless, you are unredeemable unless you listen to them, bow your head and follow their instruction. Do you realize the magnitude financially and power wise this places the church? Billions of dollars and a ready made army willing to kill, torture and do the churches bidding?
Do all of you Christians await with baited breath for the worlds destruction? Is that a goal in your life? If yes, then tell me why you would wish for that. Why do you want other humans to die and suffer? If not by god, but by your hands, following what you were told was gods plan?
What makes you or any other human so special that you can speak for a god that lives outside all known matter and how did they receive those special plans? That faulty bible? The book of Genesis is a sham, so why would you believe any other part of it?
That is exactly why many of us oppose you. Its one thing for you to be willing to die for this god, but you will not drag the rest of us down with you.
And yet those Nations with a Christian heritage are the freest most just Nations on earth ....go figure ..?
number four

Las Vegas, NV

#231469 Jun 30, 2014
Hidingfromyou wrote:
<quoted text>
Gender is not sex. Gender is what culture attaches to sex. Gender is done differently in different cultures. Native American cultures had three and sometimes four genders.
The one your from only has 2. And your culture separates sexuality from gender. Not all cultures are like that.
Tribal existence was very difficult , braving the elements the constant wars ..every soul was an assets ...homosexuality had to be tolerated ..

but , talk to a Native ..now...

and they'll tell you " white " culture is immoral and sexually deviant ..
number four

Las Vegas, NV

#231470 Jun 30, 2014
Thinking wrote:
Why?
Your bible says your god's track record is that he killed every baby not on the ark.
<quoted text>
God's prerogative ...He can give and and only He can take ..( I'm sorry that sounds like a cop out )

But , society had become so decadent , would you not snuff out your child's life ...if , you knew their future was a hopeless and brutal life belonging to a Tijuana brothel ..?
number four

Las Vegas, NV

#231471 Jun 30, 2014
Hidingfromyou wrote:
<quoted text>
That's simply not true. Lots of cultures do not have evil spirits to believe in. The Yanomami don't. What you would recognize as evil for them would be sorcery, cast by other humans. No bad spirit like the one in your mythology.
All you are doing here is projecting your belief system onto others.
..My apologies , "Hidingfromyou" ..but , I didn't just take your word for it ..I ' googled ' Yanomano religion ..turns out there is a underworld inhabited by wicked creatures ...

But , hey what do anthropologist really know ..?..right..

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

NCAA Basketball Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Thousands Protest Roe V. Wade Decision (Jan '08) 3 min Chuck 322,121
What role do you think humans play in global wa... (Sep '14) 4 min Patriot AKA Bozo 11,901
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 4 min Society at large 1,657,427
News UCLA FOOTBALL NOTEBOOK: Neuheisel says Prince w... (Sep '10) 55 min Trojan 35,088
News Judge overturns California's ban on same-sex ma... (Aug '10) Nov 26 Okboy 201,885
How to Recover Deleted or lost Contacts from Sa... (Dec '14) Sep '17 Alice Meng 13
Conn's Appliances (Nov '07) Sep '17 Love 292
More from around the web