Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent. Full Story

“I started out with nothing”

Since: Nov 10

and still got most of it left

#229575 May 21, 2014
superwilly wrote:
<quoted text>
Good point. What happened to you is what happens when you put untrained individuals in some sort of authority over children and charge them with the religious education of those children.
It was not just the vicar of our church but the majority of the congregation.

My parents still live in the same village, when I visit I see looks of contrition and embarrassment on the faces of some of the older inhabitants and it is a joy to behold.

A few years ago the vicar tracked me down and apologised and asked be to rejoin his church, perhaps his last act of perceived good will before he retired, it would no doubt have eased his conscience in his old age.

Needless to say he was sent packing with a flea in his ear. How is it so easy for someone to simply apologise for causing years of abuse?

“Religion kills”

Since: Jun 13

Down Under

#229576 May 21, 2014
ChristineM wrote:
<quoted text>
I know first hand of some of the child abuse that churches are responsible for.
I am dyslexic and for 10 years of my life I suffered sustained verbal abuse by good church going christian folks because I was unable to read the babble and therefore different.
And of course is the indoctrination they impose on children, in any other grouping it would be considered child abuse and punished by imprisonment. Good godbots get away with it because god is on their side which makes them above the law – hmmm.
Agreed. I'm sorry you went through that as a kid.

I went to church schools and the bullying I went through put me off religion, almost for life. My family couldn't care less @ the time, because that was the "best" school I was going to. They suddenly did care when I decided to leave their church later.

“Religion kills”

Down Under

#229577 May 21, 2014
Divinity Surgeon wrote:
<quoted text>
Want attention.
So I read, I've never met a cat that could ignore me.
Cats will ignore you sometimes, but will NEVER let you ignore them esp when hungry.

My old Persian used to scratch the shopping bags to pieces, because he knew that annoyed me. That's because I was scared he would suffocate in one as a kitten. Another way he would push my buttons was to rake a his claws down the windows. HIDEOUS NOISE!
:-)

“let's do this thang!”

Since: Aug 10

Location hidden

#229579 May 21, 2014
Thinking wrote:
No.
Your storybook says Adam and Eve didn't have knowledge of good and evil before eating of the tree of knowledge. Therefore they couldn't sin. Any poor design was 100% your god's fault.
You post about your god like a battered wife. "I know he gets angry but he loves me really"
<quoted text>
you agree with devils about God - you shall share their fate......
christINSANITY is EVIL

Sarnia, Canada

#229580 May 21, 2014
Rodny wrote:
<quoted text>
The usual atheist offensive name calling apart, I think that what KM meant was that all reasoning people who ever lived realized that the vast universe came from somewhere. It couldn't just have happened out of nothing and nowhere, as modern atheists want us to believe.
The reason why different societies had different names for gods is just that they called them by different names. Even today the word God is totally different in most languages. As far as I know it is only called God in English
youre LYING again
Ive never heard any atheist claim universe came from nothing,
only religitars say that
you owe us an appology

#229581 May 21, 2014
Rosa_Winkel wrote:
<quoted text>
I went to church schools and the bullying I went through put me off religion, almost for life. My family couldn't care less @ the time, because that was the "best" school I was going to. They suddenly did care when I decided to leave their church later.
Cheers. Religion really does have a lot to answer for.

There are various forms of bullying, was it from kids with the “supervising” adults turning a blind eye or was it adults directly involved in the bullying?

Although my parents were christian in mind (really still are) they rarely attended church. For years I kept it from my parents, embarrassment I suppose, when I did pluck up the courage to tell them they really did not believe it until they came to church and saw for themselves. I had no problem from them when I left.

#229582 May 21, 2014
waaasssuuup wrote:
<quoted text>
you agree with devils about God - you shall share their fate......
I see you are still making empty threats

“The..”

Since: Dec 12

"..who whating how with huh?"

#229583 May 21, 2014
waaasssuuup wrote:
<quoted text>you agree with devils about God - you shall share their fate......
You're an idiot. Your imaginary devils believe in your non existent god.

“let's do this thang!”

Location hidden

#229584 May 21, 2014
Rosa_Winkel wrote:
<quoted text>
it's a grave error to attribute to God what people do to each other because of sin.

you're adding insult to injury to yourself for running to the devil with your complaints and sorrow rather then going to the Great Physician who truly cares!:-)

btw - i went to a public school where there was no pretense of religion and was still bullied and was also a bully there!:-)

“Religion kills”

Down Under

#229585 May 21, 2014
ChristineM wrote:
<quoted text>
Cheers. Religion really does have a lot to answer for.
There are various forms of bullying, was it from kids with the “supervising” adults turning a blind eye or was it adults directly involved in the bullying?
Although my parents were christian in mind (really still are) they rarely attended church. For years I kept it from my parents, embarrassment I suppose, when I did pluck up the courage to tell them they really did not believe it until they came to church and saw for themselves. I had no problem from them when I left.
Mostly it was the kids, little bimbos.

One teacher I had had taught my brother too, when he was being a rebel. So he decided we were all a family of bad eggs - and tried to break this one. His background was German, so you can imagine the power trip, ie schadenfreude.

Eventually I got my revenge by marching like one in assembly and giving him a Hitler salute. He was so outraged!

It really does get better, eventually...

#229586 May 21, 2014
christINSANITY is EVIL wrote:
<quoted text>
youre LYING again
Ive never heard any atheist claim universe came from nothing,
only religitars say that
you owe us an appology
Sorry to butt in it is a fairly recent scientific concept born of the study of cosmology in combination with quantum theories and particle physics. It is known that the laws of thermodynamics could not coalesce until sometime after the universe came into existence (somewhere between 10^-35 to 10^-23 of a second after the event). Therefore the 2nd law dictates that the laws could have no baring in the previous creation of the universe. So it could be possible in pre cause and effect tiny fractions of a second for something to occur from nothing.

The latest scientific thinking is that the universe was created from a quantum event of unknown type but there is actually no scientific reason that it could not have been created from absolutely nothing.

However when you consider the word ‘void’ then it seems that godbots are quite content with the concept of something from nothing, yet they shout that it cannot be, except when there god does it by magic.

I wonder why none of them actually understand the wording of the babble.

#229587 May 21, 2014
waaasssuuup wrote:
<quoted text>
it's a grave error to attribute to God what people do to each other because of sin.
you're adding insult to injury to yourself for running to the devil with your complaints and sorrow rather then going to the Great Physician who truly cares!:-)
btw - i went to a public school where there was no pretense of religion and was still bullied and was also a bully there!:-)
So you are saying that your god is not in control of his creation? What sort of creator god do you worship?

“Religion kills”

Down Under

#229588 May 21, 2014
waaasssuuup wrote:
<quoted text>
I'd rather see a sermon
than hear one any day;
I'd rather one should walk with me
than merely tell the way.
The eye's a better pupil
and more willing than the ear,
Fine counsel is confusing,
but example's always clear
- Edgar A Guest

“Religion kills”

Down Under

#229589 May 21, 2014
ChristineM wrote:
<quoted text>
It was not just the vicar of our church but the majority of the congregation.
My parents still live in the same village, when I visit I see looks of contrition and embarrassment on the faces of some of the older inhabitants and it is a joy to behold.
A few years ago the vicar tracked me down and apologised and asked be to rejoin his church, perhaps his last act of perceived good will before he retired, it would no doubt have eased his conscience in his old age.
Needless to say he was sent packing with a flea in his ear. How is it so easy for someone to simply apologise for causing years of abuse?
Another thing the religion teaches is that if a person apologises, you're in the wrong if you don't forgive them. Even if they don't sometimes.

Another Xian flaw.

You don't have to go down to the courthouse and listen to victim's impact statements, to know that it's a lot more complicated than that in real life.

#229590 May 21, 2014
Rosa_Winkel wrote:
<quoted text>
Mostly it was the kids, little bimbos.
One teacher I had had taught my brother too, when he was being a rebel. So he decided we were all a family of bad eggs - and tried to break this one. His background was German, so you can imagine the power trip, ie schadenfreude.
Eventually I got my revenge by marching like one in assembly and giving him a Hitler salute. He was so outraged!
It really does get better, eventually...
I often marvel at people passing a school during break times when all the kids are out in the playground and screaming at each other. They will often say ‘aww, just listen to the little dears’. It is obvious they cannot hear the threats and abuse that is actually being shouted…

I know it gets better, in so many ways. Thank goodness.

That German authority trip is so stereotypical. I was on a plane a couple of years ago, just landed at Manchester and the usual unbuckling of seat belts and opening the overhead lockers was going on, before the seat belts sign was switched off. The German cabin steward stood and shouted “sit down” and wonder of wonders, everyone did… I noted three Hitler style salutes from people disembarking in front of me.
terenchion

Blairgowrie, UK

#229591 May 21, 2014
athiests are not necessarily clever, but are not Meek, they are usually strong natured, and have strong opinions. most religious freeks are weedy or sickly, need a cushion to lean on, don't stand on their own two feet, need reassurance..

look at most of the vicars and priests take a close look, they all look like pedos.... all creepy looking.....!!!!!

Since: Apr 14

Sabana Grande, Puerto Rico

#229592 May 21, 2014
waaasssuuup wrote:
<quoted text>
Why do you equate complaining to running to the devil? And then you advise to run to the Big Daddy in the Sky! Tsk, tsk.

“let's do this thang!”

Location hidden

#229593 May 21, 2014
ChristineM wrote:
<quoted text>
I see you are still making empty threats
i'm just putting together a simple equation so y'all can understand:

no God now = no God forever;

know God now = know God forever!

this is fair and just and according to every atheist's/gaytheist's wishes; no?:-)

“let's do this thang!”

Location hidden

#229594 May 21, 2014
ChristineM wrote:
<quoted text>
So you are saying that your god is not in control of his creation? What sort of creator god do you worship?
please make up your fickle mind, christine!

if God is in control, he's an evil tyrrant!

if God gives free will, he's irresponsible!

you are free to choose no God, but you get the evil tyrrant satan as your master by default:-)

“let's do this thang!”

Location hidden

#229595 May 21, 2014
Rosa_Winkel wrote:
<quoted text>
I'd rather see a sermon
than hear one any day;
I'd rather one should walk with me
than merely tell the way.
The eye's a better pupil
and more willing than the ear,
Fine counsel is confusing,
but example's always clear
- Edgar A Guest
you need not look any further cuz Jesus is the Word/Sermon that you've been looking for Incarnate!

the person i initially heard the Gospel from died from scleroris of the liver and heroin addiction and another left his wife and is currently living with his girlfriend, but none of these things move me because Jesus is always faithful!:-)

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

NCAA Basketball Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 5 min Realtime 1,110,783
Thousands Protest Roe V. Wade Decision (Jan '08) 8 min Junket 305,694
UCLA FOOTBALL NOTEBOOK: Neuheisel says Prince w... (Sep '10) 22 min anonymous 27,441
Judge overturns California's ban on same-sex ma... (Aug '10) 2 hr basic 200,980
Yahoo's call for overhaul of USA Basketball, FI... 5 hr johnnyj 1
Freshman Jonah Bolden declared ineligible for U... Sep 12 Brew In 1
Indiana Basketball: 2015 Forward Juwan Morgan C... Sep 11 Mike Williams 1
•••
•••

NCAA Basketball People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••