Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent. Full Story

“I started out with nothing”

Since: Nov 10

and still got most of it left

#229500 May 20, 2014
superwilly wrote:
Just to define the argument a little;
Christians are those who follow christ and his word. Not everybody who warms a pew on Sunday is a christian. Few really are. Not every bishop, preacher, layperson, churchmember, etc is a follower of christ. Charlatains and hypocrites abound. Only the soul who has given himself to christ and is dedicated to his word is a christian.
High moral standards and good character should be the calling card of every christian.
An atheist is merely one who chooses not to believe in god. That in itself is not immoral. They may be some of the most moral individuals you will ever meet.
A little more definition, there are over 3700 gods documented in human mythology. Many (so called) christians class those who do not believe in their particular god or in their brand of worship or their interpretation of the babble to be atheist.

Also, the fact that morality existed amongst humans (and other higher animals) long before christianity was ever though of tells us that morality it not a christian trait but a human trait.

“The..”

Since: Dec 12

"..who whating how with huh?"

#229501 May 20, 2014
Rosa_Winkel wrote:
<quoted text>There is treatment for that paranoia.

We're all going to persecute Christians. Really?

Then, it's quite OK to persecute gays and atheists. As if they're not actually human beings too. In fact, it's so "moral".
They're so used to persecuting others and so mired in their bull dust mythology persecution group think, that they cannot conceive of any other way.

“The..”

#229504 May 20, 2014
ChristineM wrote:
<quoted text>A little more definition, there are over 3700 gods documented in human mythology. Many (so called) christians class those who do not believe in their particular god or in their brand of worship or their interpretation of the babble to be atheist.

Also, the fact that morality existed amongst humans (and other higher animals) long before christianity was ever though of tells us that morality it not a christian trait but a human trait.
Have you seen Immortals? Now there's an interesting myth.

Good to see you, luv.

“KiMare'a the Monster Mutation”

Location hidden

#229505 May 20, 2014
ChristineM wrote:
<quoted text>
A little more definition, there are over 3700 gods documented in human mythology. Many (so called) christians class those who do not believe in their particular god or in their brand of worship or their interpretation of the babble to be atheist.
The fact that every culture contains a belief in a supernatural being(s) is profound. The fact that ONE God stands out only accentuates that profundity.

The fact that every culture embraces a common fundamental morality is also profound.

Both of these are a common thread of conscience, distinct from all other animal species that give evidence to the existence of a God.

*You may want to check your assertion that any other animals possess a morality.

#229506 May 20, 2014
number four wrote:
<quoted text>..ooh..you are so very wrong ..
An , atheists is an ungrateful animal .....
That is such a christian statement oozing hatred and deliberate misunderstanding.

I am extremely grateful for the music of Richard Strauss. I am grateful for the work and Paul Dirac and Richard Feynman who allowed us to see the universe at it quantum level and show us that no god was involved. Katherine Hepburn films are wonderful.

And I am grateful that there are deliberately ignorant haters like you among the ranks of christianity, you show the world the hatred that christianity can foster against anything you donít want to understand.

I wonder how grateful to are to the gay atheist Alan Turing and Tim Burners-Lee without whom you would not be typing away on your computer in reply to this post.

Really you have to consider that I am past atheist and out the other side, Itís not that I donít believe in any of the 3700+ mythical gods, I know they donít and cannot exist and for that too I am grateful.

“Religion kills”

Since: Jun 13

Horse Trailer

#229507 May 20, 2014
ChristineM wrote:
<quoted text>
That's true. Welcome back, Kotter.

“Religion kills”

Since: Jun 13

Horse Trailer

#229508 May 20, 2014
Divinity Surgeon wrote:
<quoted text>
They're so used to persecuting others and so mired in their bull dust mythology persecution group think, that they cannot conceive of any other way.
Basically right. I'm trying to educate our little "victim", but I think I've got Buckley's chance of that.

#229509 May 20, 2014
Divinity Surgeon wrote:
<quoted text>
Have you seen Immortals? Now there's an interesting myth.
Good to see you, luv.
No, I donít do many films. Canít do the cinema and not enough time in the day to sit and watch any on TV.

Good to be back thanks, actually not really good to be back, I prefer the forests and rivers and isolation and relaxation of south of France to my office in Preston but you know what I mean. Cheers.

“The..”

#229510 May 20, 2014
Rosa_Winkel wrote:
<quoted text>Basically right. I'm trying to educate our little "victim", but I think I've got Buckley's chance of that.
Educating a troll? Good luck. Lol.

“The..”

#229511 May 20, 2014
ChristineM wrote:
<quoted text>No, I don’t do many films. Can’t do the cinema and not enough time in the day to sit and watch any on TV.

Good to be back thanks, actually not really good to be back, I prefer the forests and rivers and isolation and relaxation of south of France to my office in Preston but you know what I mean. Cheers.
That sounds lovely, I've never been.

#229512 May 20, 2014
KiMare wrote:
<quoted text>
The fact that every culture contains a belief in a supernatural being(s) is profound. The fact that ONE God stands out only accentuates that profundity.
The fact that every culture embraces a common fundamental morality is also profound.
Both of these are a common thread of conscience, distinct from all other animal species that give evidence to the existence of a God.
*You may want to check your assertion that any other animals possess a morality.
The fact that civilisations look for excuses and reasons beyond their understanding is typical of a lack of knowledge and the source of god myths. I do not really see the hebrew/christian/muslim god standing out any more than any other god but more thrown about in anger by those who worship that myth and are not willing to accept that other people can have alternative beliefs.

Yes the fact that every culture embraces a common fundamental morality explains the beginning civilisation. Following that founding of civilisation comes the search for why, lack of scientific knowledge results in guesswork and voila, gods are born.

And this is where you opt for religious dogma over fact. Psychological tests have shown that several animal species, most apes, all pig species, some birds etc have their morality, it may not be human morality but morality none the less. Most social animals, dolphins, rats, dogs etc display various degrees of morality, they know right from wrong as appertains to their own social group. But just like so many other scientific advances throughout the centuries, it will probably take religious institutions several hundred years to accept the facts.

Claiming humanity to be the evidence of existence of mythology is typical of the lack of understanding I mentioned earlier. What you have is belief in the existence of one particular god, that is belief, not evidence, belief and nothing more. If you actually had evidence do you really think this discussion would have continued for almost 2000 years? Hell no, but if you do come across such evidence then I suggest you publish and become the centrepiece of abrahamic religion throughout the world. Your fame would be immense and you would be rich beyond avarice. Until then please accept that what you have is faith, not evidence.

ďYou may want to research the subject before making specious commentsĒ

#229513 May 20, 2014
Rosa_Winkel wrote:
<quoted text>
That's true. Welcome back, Kotter.
Hi, thanks

#229514 May 20, 2014
Divinity Surgeon wrote:
<quoted text>
That sounds lovely, I've never been.
I spend a lot of time there, lovely part of the world and very suitable to my hobby (the Cro Magnon period), so much so I bought a house.

There are quite a lot of northern Europeans, South Africans, antipodeans, Americans and Canadians that have come for a vacation and settled in the area.

I was in the Lascau II cave, with an American couple in the group. I really have no idea why they joined us, it went against everything they believe. The woman tutted and harumped all the way through, spoiling the presentation for everyone and the guy was incredulous that Cro Magnon man were every bit as homo sapien as he is, 35000 years before his god was even thought of. Repeatedly asking for proof of the age of the site and not accepting that proof when it was given.

“too hard to handle”

Since: Jun 11

butler, pa

#229515 May 20, 2014
ChristineM wrote:
<quoted text>
I was defining what a christian is, ie a christ follower, not promoting or even saying that there is some sort of moral superiority of christianity or christians.

“The..”

#229516 May 20, 2014
ChristineM wrote:
<quoted text>I spend a lot of time there, lovely part of the world and very suitable to my hobby (the Cro Magnon period), so much so I bought a house.

There are quite a lot of northern Europeans, South Africans, antipodeans, Americans and Canadians that have come for a vacation and settled in the area.

I was in the Lascau II cave, with an American couple in the group. I really have no idea why they joined us, it went against everything they believe. The woman tutted and harumped all the way through, spoiling the presentation for everyone and the guy was incredulous that Cro Magnon man were every bit as homo sapien as he is, 35000 years before his god was even thought of. Repeatedly asking for proof of the age of the site and not accepting that proof when it was given.
American christians I presume.

“The..”

#229518 May 20, 2014
Rodny wrote:
<quoted text>I definitely agree with you about brainwashing children with religion, or atheism for that matter.
I believe that a choice of religion, or no religion, should be made when they reach an age of reason.
Children should be taught about moral and responsible behaviour, and not some religious dogma.

But please, what has sexual abuse got to do with religion? It goes on everywhere with or without religion.
Then why "raise a child as a christian"?

#229519 May 20, 2014
superwilly wrote:
<quoted text>
I was defining what a christian is, ie a christ follower, not promoting or even saying that there is some sort of moral superiority of christianity or christians.
Oh I realise this, I was simply expanding a point that christians (many christians anyway) chose to deem themselves more morally superiority to none christians because thatís what their version of christianity teaches.

That very choice bars them from being christians, a quandary that they do not even realise they are creating.

#229520 May 20, 2014
Divinity Surgeon wrote:
<quoted text>
American christians I presume.
It is the only explanation I can consider because they certainly were not Muslim.

#229521 May 20, 2014
Rodny wrote:
<quoted text>
I definitely agree with you about brainwashing children with religion, or atheism for that matter.
I believe that a choice of religion, or no religion, should be made when they reach an age of reason.
Children should be taught about moral and responsible behaviour, and not some religious dogma.
But please, what has sexual abuse got to do with religion? It goes on everywhere with or without religion.
I believe the sexual abuse that Rosa_Winkel was referring to is the abuse systematically carried out by the catholic church over many decades and has over the last few years been exposed. It has been mostly ignored with several attempts made to hide it by the hierarchy of the church until the last couple of months, when due to constant police and press pressure the Vatican has eventually admitted the crimes of itís employees.

But true it does go on everywhere, however if priests are to regain the trust that people once held for them then it should now not be happening to children in church. We will have to wait and see.

“KiMare'a the Monster Mutation”

Location hidden

#229525 May 20, 2014
ChristineM wrote:
<quoted text>
The fact that civilisations look for excuses and reasons beyond their understanding is typical of a lack of knowledge and the source of god myths. I do not really see the hebrew/christian/muslim god standing out any more than any other god but more thrown about in anger by uthose who worship that myth and are not willing to accept that other people can have alternative beliefs.
Yes the fact that every culture embraces a common fundamental morality explains the beginning civilisation. Following that founding of civilisation comes the search for why, lack of scientific knowledge results in guesswork and voila, gods are born.
And this is where you opt for religious dogma over fact. Psychological tests have shown that several animal species, most apes, all pig species, some birds etc have their morality, it may not be human morality but morality none the less. Most social animals, dolphins, rats, dogs etc display various degrees of morality, they know right from wrong as appertains to their own social group. But just like so many other scientific advances throughout the centuries, it will probably take religious institutions several hundred years to accept the facts.
Claiming humanity to be the evidence of existence of mythology is typical of the lack of understanding I mentioned earlier. What you have is belief in the existence of one particular god, that is belief, not evidence, belief and nothing more. If you actually had evidence do you really think this discussion would have continued for almost 2000 years? Hell no, but if you do come across such evidence then I suggest you publish and become the centrepiece of abrahamic religion throughout the world. Your fame would be immense and you would be rich beyond avarice. Until then please accept that what you have is faith, not evidence.
ďYou may want to research the subject before making specious commentsĒ
The assertion that every civilization would solve the unknowingly by creating a fictional god is ludicrous.

"Man is the only animal that blushes."

You dont know what you are talking about.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

NCAA Basketball Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 5 min Tony Rome 1,109,961
UCLA FOOTBALL NOTEBOOK: Neuheisel says Prince w... (Sep '10) 39 min Trojan 27,388
Judge overturns California's ban on same-sex ma... (Aug '10) 1 hr rouddy 200,959
Thousands Protest Roe V. Wade Decision (Jan '08) 4 hr cpeter1313 305,611
Freshman Jonah Bolden declared ineligible for U... Sep 12 Brew In 1
Indiana Basketball: 2015 Forward Juwan Morgan C... Sep 11 Mike Williams 1
ACC Tournament 2014: Biggest Storylines to Watc... (Mar '14) Sep 11 Anonymous 2
•••
•••

NCAA Basketball People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••