Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

There are 238879 comments on the Webbunny tumblelog story from Jul 18, 2009, titled Atheism requires as much faith as religion?. In it, Webbunny tumblelog reports that:

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Webbunny tumblelog.

“I started out with nothing”

Since: Nov 10

and still got most of it left

#229635 May 22, 2014
Rodny wrote:
<quoted text>
Nothing can come out of nothing. And that is a scientific law.
Which is where science stops and belief in Something or Someone who is not physical started it all.
Which is the biggest proof of the existence of a creator God, whatever form HE/It/They had.
And this is where atheists simply shut up.
Wrong, there is no scientific law to say any such thing that covers the time in question. Therefore you are lying, either deliberately of through ignorance of science. Either way there is no excuse but surely your mythical god will forgive you if you pray to be sorry.

That is a scientific law as it exists today, when the universe was created that law did not exist and so completely relevant. It is known precisely when the laws of thermodynamics began to resolve and when that resolution was complete, between 10^-34 to 10^-23 of a second after (AFTER) the event.

So you are saying that guesswork is the proof that your god exist, as I have always suspected but you are, as far as I know the first man of faith to admit it. Thanks for that enlightening snippet.

BTW have you looked up the meaning of the word ‘void’ yet? As in KJV genesis 1:2 - And the earth was without form, and void; and darkness was upon the face of the deep. And the Spirit of God moved upon the face of the waters.

Here let me help you. from http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/void
without contents; empty.
an empty space; emptiness:

So you are saying that it’s ok for your god to do it from nothing with god magic but not for it to occur under the exact same stated conditions without god magic.

So what were you saying about atheists shutting up? It seems that you have not been at this discussion very long.

“KiMare'a the Monster Mutation”

Location hidden

#229636 May 22, 2014
ChristineM wrote:
<quoted text>
It’s a theory that sits alongside many theories, nothing more. How much validity that theory holds, I do not know but it is certainly more valid than the old god dun it with magic idea.
The Bible says the universe was created out of nothing. Something scientists now agree with.

You term that 'magic' because the Bible said it, but science because scientists say it.

Another ignorant, bigoted statement by a 'rational atheist' oxymoron in severe denial...

Smile.

#229637 May 22, 2014
KiMare wrote:
KiMare wrote:
<quoted text>
Cultural history is about 8000 years. All cultural history includes deities.
Blushing is an indication of morality.
Just how would you confirm an animal has a moral code?
You don't know what you are talking about.
Smile.
<quoted text>
Recorded human history begins with the advent of writing. About the 4th millenium BC.
A belief in the supernatural is recorded in any culture with a significant record. Hence my point that it is incredibly unlikely that something you claim does not exist (supernatural beings), is contrived by every culture.
Blushing, as referred to in the quote by Mark Twain, simply notes a sense of moral violation.
http://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/reclaimin...
I'm still waiting for you to validate any claim you've made...
Smile.
More obfuscation? 4th millennium BC this time, I wonder why you keep moving the goalposts?

Recorded human history is one thing, archaeology and anthropology takes us far – far further back in time than before the 6000 year limit indicated by your god book.

You have access to the internet, try looking up scientific sites rather than agenda ridden godbot sites to get your info. May I suggest google scholar as a starting point?

http://www.betterhealth.vic.gov.au/bhcv2/bhca...
http://www.thepsychologist.org.uk/archive/arc...

http://www.livescience.com/24802-animals-have...

http://www.newscientist.com/article/mg2182917...

However if you are too bone idle to educate yourself the please provide any claims you wish clarifying.

#229638 May 22, 2014
KiMare wrote:
KiMare wrote:
<quoted text>
The chance of every culture coming up with the same explanation of a fictional supernatural being(s), is ludicrous.
<quoted text>
Honey, you are making my point.
And you are ignoring mine

WTF has the Aurocks and the work turtle and Ei got than can remotely be classified as being the same

One is a BULL, one is a TURTLE, and one is a WAR god Oh and don't forget all the statues and natural woodland glades

Same??? What have you been smoking?

#229640 May 22, 2014
KiMare wrote:
KiMare wrote:
<quoted text>
Do you understand how bigoted and ignorant that makes you look???
<quoted text>
Because there are not numerous buildings dedicated to Thor in your community. Only one God most likely.
Nor are there buildings dedicated to the original gods of this land in your community.
You don't see a difference. The only explanation is, the 'rational atheist' oxymoron.
SMile.
Again, obfuscation, seems that is all you have in your arguments.

Thor is no longer worshipped just as in all probability, in a thousand years time* your god will be lost to all but history and the churches you build will be in architecturally interesting ruins just as religious sites of history are now.

http://listverse.com/2011/08/25/top-10-ancien...
All dead religious sites - gone but what is left in the dust

http://cdn.history.com/sites/2/2013/11/viking...

* Note that in the UK it is estimated that christianity will become a minority religion within 25 to 50 years. In France the instance of christianity has dropped from nearing 100% pre revolution to 18% now and still falling. Most European countries show similar trends.

#229641 May 22, 2014
KiMare wrote:
<quoted text>
Um, while every culture had a belief in the supernatural, there were also still those who didn't believe.
Atheists. In other words,'rational atheist' oxymorons.
Smile.
Do you have evidence of EVERY culture?

You are the one demanding evidence of me so put your money where your mouth sis and provide it or butt out.

Modern culture in Sweden claims 85% agnosticism – documented fact

The Piraha people of Brazil have no sort of religion – documented fact

So you choice of the word every is somewhat spurious is it not?

Ahh oxymoron as in good christian and christian morality and American intelligence. Yes very funny, I hope you like living with your humours BS, no doubt you god will forgive you if you pray hard enough

#229642 May 22, 2014
KiMare wrote:
<quoted text>
Still avoiding answering why a belief in the supernatural is present in every culture.
Smile.
See above

And you still have to prove that supernatural implies deity and that faith implies fact.

When you can show either of them to be true then your argument will hold water.

#229643 May 22, 2014
KiMare wrote:
<quoted text>
Did you find the good people when you left the bad religious people?
Or is it just atheists who are good?
Or maybe, it is just educated people who are not religious?
Seriously, I suspect you are down to just one good person. Yourself.
Only, you sometimes even doubt that...
Damn that pervasive brokenness in humanity!
Smile.
There ya go, good old godbot hatred of anything not godbot – the very reason why I posted that comment and you justified my post. Thank you

What you suspect is merely guesswork but again thanks for admitting it.

#229644 May 22, 2014
KiMare wrote:
<quoted text>
Ah, the 'rational atheist' oxymoron faith.
Smirk.
Actually it is called science and evidence of the theory can be found as easily as typing “Something from nothing” into google, go on and be a devil - educate yourself

But you feel it’s funny (in your own mind) to make lies up then fine. Whatever floats you boat, I am sure your god will forgive you for the lies you vomit even if us rational atheists don’t really care.

Can I ask does your interpretation of oxymoron include ‘good christian’? Because your hypocritical ignorance certainly disproved that term.

#229645 May 22, 2014
superwilly wrote:
<quoted text>
C'mon, leave Christine M alone. She opened up to us and I respect that. She is entitled to her opinion. Let her vent. This is a good place for that. It doesnt really hurt anyone. Kinda what topix is about.
Vent? How frigging ignorant that you call the statement of fact as vent… Could it be that you are christian?

#229646 May 22, 2014
KiMare wrote:
<quoted text>
You are right, I'm sorry.
I should be more sensitive to girls, especially blondes.
Forgive me Christine?
Misogynous prig…Begging forgiveness for being a moron does not earn you any extra god point you know. You have already spilt the milk, live with it.

And that just prove the sexism you are indoctrinated into by your childhood babble study

Thanks again for showing your faith for what it is.

#229647 May 22, 2014
KiMare wrote:
<quoted text>
The Bible says the universe was created out of nothing. Something scientists now agree with.
You term that 'magic' because the Bible said it, but science because scientists say it.
Another ignorant, bigoted statement by a 'rational atheist' oxymoron in severe denial...
Smile.
The babble says the earth was made out of god magic. Until science understood that something could be made from nothing then you (godbots) argued black was white that you could NOT get something form nothing despite the words of genesis 1:2. And now you hear that it is understood you change your story. Typical

There is a considerable difference between scientific theory and biblical guesswork

And that fact that you are incapable if understanding that explains the reason you make such ignorant claims. There is no excuse for deliberate ignorance.

“too hard to handle”

Since: Jun 11

butler, pa

#229649 May 22, 2014
ChristineM wrote:
<quoted text>
Vent? How frigging ignorant that you call the statement of fact as vent… Could it be that you are christian?
Feel free to vent. Its good for you. I state in my posts that I am a christ follower! Feel free not to believe. It shouldn't bother anyone.

“ Knight Of Hyrule”

Since: Dec 10

Location hidden

#229652 May 22, 2014
Rodny wrote:
<quoted text>
I believe in "something for nothing", even though rare.
But "something from nothing" sounds mysterious and impossible to me, unless there is the supernatural involved.
Something from nothing is speculation and an attempt to explain the yet unexplained.
The supernatural if exists is the same thing.
The difference is speculation in cosmology is based on the evidence and what we do know.
The supernatural is based on superstition and fear of the unknown.

#229654 May 22, 2014
Rodny wrote:
<quoted text>
How do you know she's a blonde, she only shows a skull in her moniker.
Which also shows that she believes in the supernatural if the dead can speak.
What a load of ignorant BS, the skull is what most of you godbots deny, a transitional fossil.

Live with it.

#229655 May 22, 2014
superwilly wrote:
<quoted text>
Feel free to vent. Its good for you. I state in my posts that I am a christ follower! Feel free not to believe. It shouldn't bother anyone.
Please explain your position here, you are saying that me, as a topix contributor vent but, for example a christian contributor you agree with posts valid posts?

Or are you saying that your intolerance of whatever you don’t want to agree with or understand classes the poster as venting?

Please don’t be so self centred to believe that I read all your posts, I usually only read what is addressed to me or directly refers to me, a simple search of my name is my cure for trawling through houses and hours of godbot text, mostly drivel.

And it doesn’t really bother anyone what your faith is unless it interferes with other people. However it does seem to bother you seeing as you claim that you state it in your posts. I simply asked because your intolerance is typical of so many (but not all) christians. Thank you for telling me

#229656 May 22, 2014
Rodny wrote:
How do you know she's a blonde, she only shows a skull in her moniker.
Which also shows that she believes in the supernatural if the dead can speak.
It also shows that Christine is an Ancestor Worshiper, since the skull of an old human, or semi human, is her object of worship.
Smiley
So showing godbots that life existed prior to god magic 6000 ago proves ancestor worship?

Wow, no wonder you are so delusional

And I suppose your avatar indicates that you worship[ grey outline shapes – cool…

#229657 May 22, 2014
Rodny wrote:
<quoted text>
I believe in "something for nothing", even though rare.
But "something from nothing" sounds mysterious and impossible to me, unless there is the supernatural involved.
What it sounds like to you is beside the point.

What can be shown mathematically and theoretical has far more relevance.

#229658 May 22, 2014
Thinking wrote:
Do you treat people differently based on their hair colour?
Slimy.
<quoted text>
Of course he does, he’s christian and he’s bolstering the misogyny of another christian.

I really would not be surprised if they were both racist too.

Hi T, how’s ya doing

“let's do this thang!”

Since: Aug 10

Location hidden

#229659 May 22, 2014
nutinlikett wrote:
<quoted text>
Explain to me which God? and why? also wth is a gaytheist? Do you even know what "theist"means.... yes google it.
your demanding tone is usually a clear indication that you wouldn't change your rebellious mind no matter what reasonable information i could give you as long as it favors the idea of Christ. so, i'm gonna ask you to frame your questions with a "please" first and then i'll know that i'm not just casting my pearls before swine.

is this fair enough?:-)

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

NCAA Basketball Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 4 min Bluestater 1,231,555
What role do you think humans play in global wa... (Sep '14) 31 min IBdaMann 5,530
News Thousands Protest Roe V. Wade Decision (Jan '08) 53 min Brian_G 309,843
News UCLA FOOTBALL NOTEBOOK: Neuheisel says Prince w... (Sep '10) 9 hr tom wingo 29,759
News Kecoughtan High teacher resigns after drug charges (Nov '07) May 17 tom wingo 84
News Judge overturns California's ban on same-sex ma... (Aug '10) May 15 Pietro Armando 201,808
mark moel loan house is here for you to uptain ... (Sep '13) May 12 jay 7
More from around the web