Atheism requires as much faith as rel...

Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

There are 258482 comments on the Webbunny tumblelog story from Jul 18, 2009, titled Atheism requires as much faith as religion?. In it, Webbunny tumblelog reports that:

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Webbunny tumblelog.

“I see quantum effects”

Since: Jan 11

Location hidden

#229486 May 19, 2014
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>What is "it's"?

Being an obnoxious drunk was not one of my failings in this life. Being obnoxious without a good cause wasn't either.
Pronunciation:\ˈits,əts\
Date: circa 1555
: it is : it has

Could've fooled me.

Could've-could have

“ad victoriam”

Since: Dec 10

arte et marte

#229489 May 19, 2014
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
What is "it's"?
Being an obnoxious drunk was not one of my failings in this life. Being obnoxious without a good cause wasn't either.
Obnoxious doesn't require a reason or cause, just a definition of being so.

“too hard to handle”

Since: Jun 11

Location hidden

#229490 May 19, 2014
Just to define the argument a little;

Christians are those who follow christ and his word. Not everybody who warms a pew on Sunday is a christian. Few really are. Not every bishop, preacher, layperson, churchmember, etc is a follower of christ. Charlatains and hypocrites abound. Only the soul who has given himself to christ and is dedicated to his word is a christian.

High moral standards and good character should be the calling card of every christian.

An atheist is merely one who chooses not to believe in god. That in itself is not immoral. They may be some of the most moral individuals you will ever meet.
number four

Since: May 12

Las Vegas, NV

#229491 May 19, 2014
superwilly wrote:
Just to define the argument a little;
Christians are those who follow christ and his word. Not everybody who warms a pew on Sunday is a christian. Few really are. Not every bishop, preacher, layperson, churchmember, etc is a follower of christ. Charlatains and hypocrites abound. Only the soul who has given himself to christ and is dedicated to his word is a christian.
High moral standards and good character should be the calling card of every christian.
An atheist is merely one who chooses not to believe in god. That in itself is not immoral. They may be some of the most moral individuals you will ever meet.
..ooh..you are so very wrong ..

An , atheists is an ungrateful animal .....
number four

Since: May 12

Las Vegas, NV

#229493 May 19, 2014
Thinking wrote:
Immaterial. North Korea is very religious.
http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/andr...
<quoted text>
The WHOLE GOD DAMNED" world Is religious ..

You believe in the destruction , of catholicism ...

or , the supremacy of environmentalists

or ,the supremacy gay rights .

or , that "monster"....YoUIDIO T" ...supremacy of Islam ...

yes , Religion abounds ...but..yours is a disease ......" mine " ,just a pain in the posterior ...and , you're welcomed to debate ..it...

“It's Time. . .”

Since: Jun 13

New Holland

#229495 May 20, 2014
Rodny wrote:
<quoted text>
What abuse are you talking about?
It seems that most atheists are still living in the middle ages, since this is the only abuse they talk about all the time.
It is like me calling you a murderer because your great great grandfather was a murderer. Which is ridiculous logic.
That is remote history that happened hundreds of years ago. And even then you can't blame christians as a whole because it was only the few who made these atrocities.
I assure you that there have always been, and still are, many good Christians who will go out of their way to help others, even if they are atheists.
I wasn't talking about medieval history.

Abuse is taking a little child and brainwashing them. Then making the little one sit still through long interminable sermons, or taking them outside and spanking them if they don't. Telling them that they are bad and Jesus is angry with them, just for being a child.

Then giving them a lifelong guilt trip, in order to control them easier.

And I didn't even mention the sexual abuse that sometimes goes on...OH!

“It's Time. . .”

Since: Jun 13

New Holland

#229496 May 20, 2014
number four wrote:
<quoted text>Hey, Unfair ...I'm for human rights and equal before the law ..and, all that other gay stuff ..!
What's gay about that, Simon?

“It's Time. . .”

Since: Jun 13

New Holland

#229497 May 20, 2014
Aerobatty wrote:
<quoted text>
Completely wrong.
After having kids, I just found that not only did alcohol not fit in my life anymore, but I did not particularly care for it anymore.
I much prefer being more fit at 61 than I was at 18.
I've seen the long term effects of alcohol on the aging, and I want my last years to be as active and productive as possible.
Congratulations on that! Drink yourself a toast in lemonade.

“It's Time. . .”

Since: Jun 13

New Holland

#229498 May 20, 2014
Rodny wrote:
<quoted text>
What's wrong with people praying? They're not harming anyone. Why does it bother you?
This is typical of atheist intolerance.
I suppose if you, like most atheists, were in power you would ban all religion, and start persecuting Christians.
At least Christians have morals. What do you want to see, obscene atheist Gay Pride parades in our city streets, and other atheist immoral behaviour who have no fear of God?
God help America if it continues to become more atheist.
There is treatment for that paranoia.

We're all going to persecute Christians. Really?

Then, it's quite OK to persecute gays and atheists. As if they're not actually human beings too. In fact, it's so "moral".

“It's Time. . .”

Since: Jun 13

New Holland

#229499 May 20, 2014
Thinking wrote:
I didn't claim it to be the only solution.
<quoted text>
No it isn't. The whole energy issue is a lot more complicated than that.

How can we all have the lifestyle we are all accustomed to, with all those lovely electronic goods and fast cars? Yet somehow manage not to turn the world into an overheated greenhouse.

“When you treat people as they ”

Since: Nov 10

treat you they get offended.

#229500 May 20, 2014
superwilly wrote:
Just to define the argument a little;
Christians are those who follow christ and his word. Not everybody who warms a pew on Sunday is a christian. Few really are. Not every bishop, preacher, layperson, churchmember, etc is a follower of christ. Charlatains and hypocrites abound. Only the soul who has given himself to christ and is dedicated to his word is a christian.
High moral standards and good character should be the calling card of every christian.
An atheist is merely one who chooses not to believe in god. That in itself is not immoral. They may be some of the most moral individuals you will ever meet.
A little more definition, there are over 3700 gods documented in human mythology. Many (so called) christians class those who do not believe in their particular god or in their brand of worship or their interpretation of the babble to be atheist.

Also, the fact that morality existed amongst humans (and other higher animals) long before christianity was ever though of tells us that morality it not a christian trait but a human trait.

Since: Dec 12

Location hidden

#229501 May 20, 2014
Rosa_Winkel wrote:
<quoted text>There is treatment for that paranoia.

We're all going to persecute Christians. Really?

Then, it's quite OK to persecute gays and atheists. As if they're not actually human beings too. In fact, it's so "moral".
They're so used to persecuting others and so mired in their bull dust mythology persecution group think, that they cannot conceive of any other way.

Since: Dec 12

Location hidden

#229504 May 20, 2014
ChristineM wrote:
<quoted text>A little more definition, there are over 3700 gods documented in human mythology. Many (so called) christians class those who do not believe in their particular god or in their brand of worship or their interpretation of the babble to be atheist.

Also, the fact that morality existed amongst humans (and other higher animals) long before christianity was ever though of tells us that morality it not a christian trait but a human trait.
Have you seen Immortals? Now there's an interesting myth.

Good to see you, luv.

“KiMare'a the Monster Mutation”

Since: Nov 10

Location hidden

#229505 May 20, 2014
ChristineM wrote:
<quoted text>
A little more definition, there are over 3700 gods documented in human mythology. Many (so called) christians class those who do not believe in their particular god or in their brand of worship or their interpretation of the babble to be atheist.
Also, the fact that morality existed amongst humans (and other higher animals) long before christianity was ever though of tells us that morality it not a christian trait but a human trait.
The fact that every culture contains a belief in a supernatural being(s) is profound. The fact that ONE God stands out only accentuates that profundity.

The fact that every culture embraces a common fundamental morality is also profound.

Both of these are a common thread of conscience, distinct from all other animal species that give evidence to the existence of a God.

*You may want to check your assertion that any other animals possess a morality.

“When you treat people as they ”

Since: Nov 10

treat you they get offended.

#229506 May 20, 2014
number four wrote:
<quoted text>..ooh..you are so very wrong ..
An , atheists is an ungrateful animal .....
That is such a christian statement oozing hatred and deliberate misunderstanding.

I am extremely grateful for the music of Richard Strauss. I am grateful for the work and Paul Dirac and Richard Feynman who allowed us to see the universe at it quantum level and show us that no god was involved. Katherine Hepburn films are wonderful.

And I am grateful that there are deliberately ignorant haters like you among the ranks of christianity, you show the world the hatred that christianity can foster against anything you dont want to understand.

I wonder how grateful to are to the gay atheist Alan Turing and Tim Burners-Lee without whom you would not be typing away on your computer in reply to this post.

Really you have to consider that I am past atheist and out the other side, Its not that I dont believe in any of the 3700+ mythical gods, I know they dont and cannot exist and for that too I am grateful.

“It's Time. . .”

Since: Jun 13

New Holland

#229507 May 20, 2014
ChristineM wrote:
<quoted text>
A little more definition, there are over 3700 gods documented in human mythology. Many (so called) christians class those who do not believe in their particular god or in their brand of worship or their interpretation of the babble to be atheist.
Also, the fact that morality existed amongst humans (and other higher animals) long before christianity was ever though of tells us that morality it not a christian trait but a human trait.
That's true. Welcome back, Kotter.

“It's Time. . .”

Since: Jun 13

New Holland

#229508 May 20, 2014
Divinity Surgeon wrote:
<quoted text>
They're so used to persecuting others and so mired in their bull dust mythology persecution group think, that they cannot conceive of any other way.
Basically right. I'm trying to educate our little "victim", but I think I've got Buckley's chance of that.

“When you treat people as they ”

Since: Nov 10

treat you they get offended.

#229509 May 20, 2014
Divinity Surgeon wrote:
<quoted text>
Have you seen Immortals? Now there's an interesting myth.
Good to see you, luv.
No, I dont do many films. Cant do the cinema and not enough time in the day to sit and watch any on TV.

Good to be back thanks, actually not really good to be back, I prefer the forests and rivers and isolation and relaxation of south of France to my office in Preston but you know what I mean. Cheers.

Since: Dec 12

Location hidden

#229510 May 20, 2014
Rosa_Winkel wrote:
<quoted text>Basically right. I'm trying to educate our little "victim", but I think I've got Buckley's chance of that.
Educating a troll? Good luck. Lol.

Since: Dec 12

Location hidden

#229511 May 20, 2014
ChristineM wrote:
<quoted text>No, I don’t do many films. Can’t do the cinema and not enough time in the day to sit and watch any on TV.

Good to be back thanks, actually not really good to be back, I prefer the forests and rivers and isolation and relaxation of south of France to my office in Preston but you know what I mean. Cheers.
That sounds lovely, I've never been.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

NCAA Basketball Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 13 min Canuk 1,658,342
News UCLA FOOTBALL NOTEBOOK: Neuheisel says Prince w... (Sep '10) 15 min Trojan 35,099
News Thousands Protest Roe V. Wade Decision (Jan '08) 15 min Hah_ 322,227
What role do you think humans play in global wa... (Sep '14) 5 hr Meat 11,915
News Judge overturns California's ban on same-sex ma... (Aug '10) Nov 26 Okboy 201,885
How to Recover Deleted or lost Contacts from Sa... (Dec '14) Sep '17 Alice Meng 13
Conn's Appliances (Nov '07) Sep '17 Love 292
More from around the web