Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

There are 20 comments on the Webbunny tumblelog story from Jul 18, 2009, titled Atheism requires as much faith as religion?. In it, Webbunny tumblelog reports that:

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Webbunny tumblelog.

Since: Sep 08

Westcliffe, CO

#228079 May 2, 2014
trifecta1 wrote:
<quoted text> oy! aye!
Is it possible his story about the 5 atheists in a foxhole is true? maybe--but improbable.
Atheists have a daunting hill to climb and a boulder to push up that hill which is almost unbearable.
I was once fascinated with an atheistic religion Buddhism. So I follow closely the belief that the physical universe people and animals was just happenstance.
Modern science is making that kind of belief a mockery. So really an atheist today to believe in accidental/random/chance philosophy of this universe and human existence is truly religious. Atheism requires >more< faith than religion. Modern Atheism is a religion.
Neo-atheism is a political tool using fools.

“let's do this thang!”

Since: Aug 10

Location hidden

#228080 May 2, 2014
blacklagoon wrote:
<quoted text>Your Jesus was a myth, is that clear enough?
it's very odd that you think so cuz Jesus Himself said "be it on to you according to your faith"

is it possible that the problem lies with you/your faith and not with the Ruler of EVERYTHING???

Westcliffe, CO

#228081 May 2, 2014
River Tam wrote:
<quoted text>
My parents didn't teach me, Dave. They paid other people to do that. Professionals.
My defense Master threw a cup of his urine at me once, well more than once, because he thought my reflexes weren't up to his standards. I was 12 the first time. That gets your attention fairly quickly.
I don't want to be considered a threat. I try to avoid confrontation but I have anger issues so it doesn't always work out. I'm trying to deal with those issues.
How'm I doing so far?
You do fine when you don't get emotional.:-)

You took the action of your defense master personal. It wasn't. It is long standing technique to teach you to be more alert and survive. Push you to your limits. Motivational training. They have done similar in militaries for eons. Some guys took their drill sergeants harassment personal. It wasn't, it was training.

No pain, no gain.

“I see quantum effects”

Since: Jan 11

In the macro world.

#228082 May 2, 2014
waaasssuuup wrote:
<quoted text>i don't acknowledge same-sex marriages and i thinks it's disgusting that they can adopt!
HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!

You think...

Were you being serious?

“Evolved hunter/gatherer”

Since: Jan 08

Location hidden

#228083 May 2, 2014
blacklagoon wrote:
<quoted text>I'm not surprised that you don't understand where intelligence comes from. It has nothing to do with race or gender. It starts with a well rounded education.
Intelligence has nothing to do with a "well rounded education".
Knowledge and wisdom are what is spawned by a well rounded education, and that education does not have to be in a classroom setting either.

“let's do this thang!”

Since: Aug 10

Location hidden

#228084 May 2, 2014
River Tam wrote:
<quoted text>
My parents didn't teach me, Dave. They paid other people to do that. Professionals.
My defense Master threw a cup of his urine at me once, well more than once, because he thought my reflexes weren't up to his standards. I was 12 the first time. That gets your attention fairly quickly.
I don't want to be considered a threat. I try to avoid confrontation but I have anger issues so it doesn't always work out. I'm trying to deal with those issues.
How'm I doing so far?
tammy said - "My defense Master threw a cup of his urine at me once, well more than once"

AND YOU ASSERT THAT CHRISTIANITY IS A STRANGE RELIGION?!?!

you might be better off as an alter boy in catholicisim!

Location hidden

#228085 May 2, 2014
BenAdam wrote:
<quoted text>
Excellent post.
In Judaism, it is believed that humans have a combination of "good" and "evil" and that both need to be in balance.
Totally "good" and you can't survive, totally "evil" and you won't survive.
That concept is much older than Judaism Ben.

Location hidden

#228086 May 2, 2014
BenAdam wrote:
<quoted text>
All of them claim to, none of them do.
Your religion is no different than any others of the last 6000 years.
Your statement implies that there were some with differences prior to 6000 years ago.
What about them?

Location hidden

#228087 May 2, 2014
BenAdam wrote:

<quoted text>
Without darkness you would see nothing but a blinding light.
Contrast is what makes the world work.
No Shiite wrote:
<quoted text>Uh, Professor Longhair, darkness is the absence of light.
How long have you been afflicted with reading comprehension deficiency?

Location hidden

#228088 May 2, 2014
No Shiite wrote:
<quoted text>Darkness is still the absence of light.
That's what he said.
You misread it.
He explained it again to you.
You still miss what he wrote.

Location hidden

#228089 May 2, 2014
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
You claim it is impossible.
Inspiration guides science.
So does curiosity.

Location hidden

#228090 May 2, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
I have an African Grey, Scooby. He looks exactly like Alex.
It's creepy how smart that damn bird is.
You wish to see a smart bird? Check out a raven.

Westcliffe, CO

#228091 May 2, 2014
Aquarius-WY wrote:
<quoted text>
So does curiosity.
Curiosity is a wondering about something that leads to inspiration, which is how to go about figuring it out, a plan of action. You can wonder about getting out of a jailhouse, but it takes inspiration to proceed with doing so.

Inspiration is figuring out a starting point.

“I.Spirit.Son.God”

Since: Jan 12

Location hidden

#228092 May 2, 2014
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
Neo-atheism is a political tool using fools.
~~~grin~~~, I never see atheistic beliefs described that way before, but it's applicable and would make a perfect bumper sticker, lol.

Westcliffe, CO

#228093 May 2, 2014
Aquarius-WY wrote:
<quoted text>
Little hummingbirds ain't little birdbrains. They are very good at calculating. From facing down cats and humans to that magnificent 3D navigation system they have. Talk about knowing exactly where they are.

They were late showing up here this year. April 19 was the day they showed up.

“What are you looking at?”

Albuquerque, NM

#228094 May 2, 2014
River Tam wrote:
<quoted text>
Shanghai is awesome !!!
Any city where you can go to Pizza Hut and get brown sauce and crustaceans on your pizza would be, yes?
;-)
This doesn't sound like the "Meat Eater's Pizza" I'm familiar with.

Maybe they have a different name attached - "Meat and Gravy Eater's Pizza"?

:o)

“Love much, trust none”

Since: Jul 11

There

#228095 May 2, 2014
number four wrote:
<quoted text>..I can't disagree with you ..
But, we do adhere to scripture ( Acts 10:34 ) God is not partial , Muslims ,Animists even Christians go to Heaven .
I believe that if there is something beyond what we call death, everything and everyone will be reabsorbed and reused including what we call consciousness/soul.
I have no claim to "know" that but it makes more sense that two 'invisible men' fighting over us. I don't think we humans are that important.

“Love much, trust none”

Since: Jul 11

There

#228096 May 2, 2014
number four wrote:
<quoted text>Not even 'you' actually believes this , the Roman kept track of every execution ..even , in far off back water provinces ..?
We have no Roman "records" at all.
What we have are medieval copies of Roman and Greek authors "histories" and "biographies". None of which are "Official Roman Senate records."
EdSed

Wishaw, UK

#228097 May 2, 2014
Religion = superstition
Theology = mythology
Get over it

“Ditat Deus”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#228098 May 2, 2014
Aquarius-WY wrote:
<quoted text>
Really? Are ravens smart?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

NCAA Basketball Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 11 min sonicfilter 1,224,536
News Thousands Protest Roe V. Wade Decision (Jan '08) 1 hr Brilliant Chicky 309,759
mark moel loan house is here for you to uptain ... (Sep '13) 11 hr robert walker 6
News UCLA FOOTBALL NOTEBOOK: Neuheisel says Prince w... (Sep '10) Mon tom wingo 29,725
How to Recover Deleted or lost Contacts from Sa... Apr 29 Sauck freedom 6
News Freshman Jonah Bolden declared ineligible for U... (Sep '14) Apr 29 tom wingo 4
What role do you think humans play in global wa... (Sep '14) Apr 27 TerryE 5,306
More from around the web