Atheism requires as much faith as rel...

Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

There are 244726 comments on the Webbunny tumblelog story from Jul 18, 2009, titled Atheism requires as much faith as religion?. In it, Webbunny tumblelog reports that:

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Webbunny tumblelog.

Since: Sep 08

Westcliffe, CO

#228032 May 1, 2014
blacklagoon wrote:
<quoted text>Your Jesus was a myth, is that clear enough?
trifecta1 wrote:
<quoted text> You convincing yourself right?
Because surely I would hope you really not that stupid to think just because you write "Jesus was a myth" on a internet billboard that makes any difference to Christianity or to those that worship Jesus as God.
Once upon a time blacklagoon related a war story to us from his time in Vietnam.

He was in a foxhole of 5 atheists. He claimed they were all atheists.

A grenade landed in it and one of them jumped on it to save his and the other's lives.

He said this was a true story.

Five YOUNG men in war in a foxhole in battle and all hard core atheists. And one sacrifices his life in an instant decision to saved others. Of course it was because of evolution and no religious beliefs that triggered that instant decision according to him.

Where in the Atheist Manual does it preach self sacrifice, giving up the only one you have, to save comrades by chance in a war based on economics, especially since those buddies by chance were also engaged in the effort to kill others?

I am sure the young man grew up with some religious training in his background somewhere that contributed to his split second decision.

Which saved blacklagoon's life.

Which allowed him to play with his sailboat and get on here and ridicule anyone with religious belief.

“KiMare'a the Monster Mutation”

Since: Nov 10

Location hidden

#228033 May 1, 2014
KiMare wrote:
<quoted text>
The truth makes you nervous?
It should.
Wise words from long ago: "There is nothing new under the sun".
Fools like you are as old as humanity.
By the way, you do a great job as the 'rational atheist' oxymoron poster punk.
No Shiite wrote:
<quoted text>1. You have zero truths.
2. Nothing about you makes me nervous. Nauseous, yes.
3. You call me a punk but you won't name a time and place to say it to me in person.
1. So far you've epically failed at explaining just two recent challenges.

2. You are too dumb to know the terror that awaits. The nauseousness is embarrassment at how stupid you are looking as the RAO poster punk.

3. Are you physically threatening me?

Smirk.

“KiMare'a the Monster Mutation”

Since: Nov 10

Location hidden

#228034 May 1, 2014
KiMare wrote:
<quoted text>
"By dying".
Wrong, and don't know shiite about theology. Look it up and learn.
You have proof it is a con? Please show me your scientific proof 'rational atheist' oxymoron poster punk.
Smile.
No Shiite wrote:
<quoted text>So, you don't have to die? Hookay, ITG. Proof? Well, there's you. Here is your proof in two words. Kenneth Copeland. You clowns sell a product you never have to deliver. The very definition of con.
First, KC hardly represents any measurable segment of classic Christianity.

Second, his theology claims power over death. I think you were trying to go the OTHER way...

Another epic fail. Sigh. I'm beginning to feel sorry for you poster punk...

Snicker smile.
Eagle 12

Troy, IL

#228035 May 1, 2014
blacklagoon wrote:
Clear that you think he's a myth.

Since: Oct 10

Location hidden

#228036 May 1, 2014
Dave Nelson wrote:
"Under Communist Party rule since 1949, China is officially an atheist country, but Christianity is growing. According to the Pew Research Center, China's Christian population had reached 67 million by 2010, the second largest in Asia."
http://www.cnn.com/2014/05/01/world/asia/chin...
That is a sizeable percentage of people committed to a belief. In fact, too big not to increase in number. That many in concert will sway the non-committed and apathetic.
I have posted many times about Christianity being the escape from the tyranny of man over man. Just takes time and belief your god will prevail, which is built into the religion. Atheists, Topix type included, are geared to immediate self-gratification. That is why they always get swept away with the dust in time.
Buddhism is comparative in numbers to Christianity in China. I don't see your point. Islam is one of the fastest growing religions in China. None of it matters. The state makes the rules. I would advise following them.
Eagle 12

Troy, IL

#228037 May 1, 2014
blacklagoon wrote:
Clear that you can't prove he's a myth.

Westcliffe, CO

#228038 May 1, 2014
River Tam wrote:
<quoted text>
Buddhism is comparative in numbers to Christianity in China. I don't see your point. Islam is one of the fastest growing religions in China. None of it matters. The state makes the rules. I would advise following them.
Th state is fighting a losing battle.

Buddhists have been known to get activist in social issues. I would assume a lot of the Islam in China is from annexed territories. They already have issues with them.

Christianity was totally evangelical. Buddhism is home grown, as is much of that Islam.

Explain how that foreign religion has gained such a foothold.
Eagle 12

Troy, IL

#228039 May 1, 2014
Talking Birds,

The African Grey Parrots (Psittacus) are particularly noted for their advanced cognitive abilities and their ability to talk. There are two domesticated species of which the Timneh African Grey (Psittacus timneh) tends to learn to speak at a younger age than the Congo African Grey (Psittacus erithacus). Pet Congo African Greys may learn to speak within their first year, but many do not say their first word until 12–18 months old. Timnehs are generally observed to start speaking earlier, some in their late first year.

"Alex" had a vocabulary of about 100 words, substantially less than world record holders, but he is perhaps the best known talking bird due to the publicity surrounding his potential cognitive abilities. In learning to speak, Alex showed scientist Irene Pepperberg that he understood categories like "same and different" and "bigger and smaller".

He could identify objects by their shape ("Three-corner", "Four-corner", up to "Six-corner") and material: when shown a pom-pom or a wooden block, he could answer "Wool" or "Wood" correctly, about 80% of the time. Alex could identify the difference between yellow and green same-sized objects by saying "Color" or identify a larger one by naming its color. If asked what the difference was between two identical blue keys, Alex learned to reply, "None" (he pronounced it "Nuh").

Alex died on September 6, 2007.

"Prudle" held the Guinness World Record for the bird with the biggest vocabulary for many years with a documented vocabulary of 800 words.

"N'kisi" is noted for his impressive English usage skills and other abilities. As of January 2004, he had a documented vocabulary of 950 words. N'kisi is believed to be one of the most advanced users of human language in the animal world.

"Einstein" appeared on many television shows and became famous for her ability to recreate sounds as well as talking. Video clips show her making the sound of a laser beam generator and an evil-sounding laugh. She has been trained by Stephanie White.

"Bibi", a Congo African Grey Parrot, is able to use greetings from 20 different languages and count in 6, earning her the nickname "The Polyglot Parrot." At 6 years old, Bibi has already developed a vocabulary of more than 500 words.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Talking_bird

----------

In my opinion birds may start out mimicking sounds they hear. But overtime some species of birds are able to understand what the words mean. In nature birds have certain calls that mean certain things. They’re smart enough to know our language also has meaning.

I had two cockatiels and mine didn’t talk but boy did they love to whistle especially when the Andy Griffith show came on. The would go crazy. They would also growl at the dog to humor us.[laughing]

A friend of mine had a cockatiel that would talk to their dog. When the family would leave somewhere together they would hear the bird call the dog whose name was “PJ” and yell for help.“PJ come help me PJ, help me PJ!”
Like he was trying to break out of prison.

“Aaaaaaaaaaaaah”

Since: Aug 07

Piscataway

#228040 May 1, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
My ex-wife told you that? What's her name? If you feel uncomfortable posting a person's real name here, how about you just post her initials?
I realize you're not very bright, but that was obviously a set up to a joke.

Since: Sep 10

Long Beach, CA

#228041 May 1, 2014
River Tam wrote:
<quoted text>
I took photographs of uniformed guys sitting around a table in Tienanmen Square.

I promptly found out it was not a good idea.

“I see quantum effects”

Since: Jan 11

In the macro world.

#228042 May 1, 2014
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>You have some memory impairment issues.

Go back and read your rants about religion stifling science.
What did I claim was impossible?

“I see quantum effects”

In the macro world.

#228043 May 1, 2014
Dave Nelson wrote:
There is an age old wisdom that permeates the consciousness of mankind. You will see it everywhere. In religions, popular culture, philosophy, or you name it where it deals with higher intellectual functions. Of course Topix atheists will deny it exists.

The message is you cut your own path through this life. You develop your own logic base to understand what is going on and where you may be headed.

This applies equally to religion and "science".

People tend to accept words without truly understanding the meaning of them. They learn phrases and repeat them in ignorance which then become icons. See those little icons on your browser? You click and something happens. You don't give a thought to the code and very complicated physical phenomenon kicked into gear.

Topix atheists deny wisdom or truth in religious writings, yet blindly accept the words of those they consider "scientists". Without understanding what the scientists are describing. Just like so many theists do listening to scripture passed on by preachers.

That is why I say play with magnets and strings. You start to understand how those basic forces interact in your own mind and logic. You get past your training by others that way. But you have to get past your laziness of thought. This applies to most things beyond just magnets and strings.

Topix atheist don't have a clue just how sheeplike they are in their thinking.
That was a lot of words.

What did they say?

“I see quantum effects”

In the macro world.

#228044 May 1, 2014
waaasssuuup wrote:
<quoted text>you need LOTS of faith to buy into a con that's less than 200 years old but requires over 13.74 billion years of evidence to prove!
Hey!

You learned something!

“I see quantum effects”

In the macro world.

#228045 May 1, 2014
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>You are calling the overwhelming majority of humanity delusional.

But YOU and the few that think like you KNOW the TRUTH.

Find a mental health professional before they find you, loony.
We don't necessarily know the truth. At least not all of it.

But we do know bullshit.

Westcliffe, CO

#228046 May 1, 2014
Aerobatty wrote:
<quoted text>
We don't necessarily know the truth. At least not all of it.
But we do know bullshit.
That was weak.

Except in your mind. To you it was an absolute truth.

You need to break out of your emotional prison,

You and the others preach we are just freak accidents of the universe, but your ego and emotions won't let you practice it. You have too much anger to be a rational thinker.

Westcliffe, CO

#228047 May 1, 2014
Aerobatty wrote:
<quoted text>
That was a lot of words.
What did they say?
Quit listening to others that reinforce your anger issues and develop an understanding of this reality that lets you function.

So far you are not strong enough to function independently.

“Love much, trust none”

Since: Jul 11

There

#228048 May 1, 2014
River Tam wrote:
<quoted text>
Say it ain't so! RR and Buck said God told them all the Chinese are commie atheists.

ROFLMAO

Location hidden

#228049 May 1, 2014
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
Th state is fighting a losing battle.
Buddhists have been known to get activist in social issues. I would assume a lot of the Islam in China is from annexed territories. They already have issues with them.
Christianity was totally evangelical. Buddhism is home grown, as is much of that Islam.
Explain how that foreign religion has gained such a foothold.
China is open to religion. Did you think Christianity somehow sneaked in?

I wouldn't look for any Christian laws on the books anytime soon.

It's not a bad place, Dave. In fact, I'll be living there permanently very soon. Well, if I can talk Mia into it. Stop listening to Fox News.

Location hidden

#228050 May 1, 2014
Catcher1 wrote:
<quoted text>
I took photographs of uniformed guys sitting around a table in Tienanmen Square.
I promptly found out it was not a good idea.
You might get the same reaction if you try to do that to NYCPD officers during a traffic stop.

:-)

Since: Sep 10

Long Beach, CA

#228051 May 1, 2014
River Tam wrote:
<quoted text>
You might get the same reaction if you try to do that to NYCPD officers during a traffic stop.
:-)
Yes. But I would think twice before doing that.

I was a star-struck tourist, so it came as a surprise.

I have an infatuation with China. Shanghai is my favorite "major" world city.

But roaming to the rural areas is the best. No communication with language, but total communication as fellow human beings.

56 ethnic groups. You never know what's next, wherever you go.

I just wish they wouldn't spit on the floor....

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

NCAA Basketball Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 14 min RealDave 1,262,088
News Judge overturns California's ban on same-sex ma... (Aug '10) 5 hr Just the Truth 201,853
News UCLA FOOTBALL NOTEBOOK: Neuheisel says Prince w... (Sep '10) 8 hr tom wingo 29,848
News Thousands Protest Roe V. Wade Decision (Jan '08) 10 hr John-K 310,312
News San Diego State basketball: Four-star prospect ... Jul 25 Fart news 2
The Email Address Debacle: Did Hillary Do Somet... Jul 25 xxxrayted 1,714
News 3 Arkansas players arrested on forgery complaint Jul 23 Fart news 2
More from around the web