Atheism requires as much faith as rel...

Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

There are 244888 comments on the Webbunny tumblelog story from Jul 18, 2009, titled Atheism requires as much faith as religion?. In it, Webbunny tumblelog reports that:

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Webbunny tumblelog.

Since: Sep 08

Westcliffe, CO

#227994 May 1, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
RiversideRedneck wrote:
You made the claim that the Romans kept "very good records of their crucifixions".
The onus is NOT on me to support your claim.
I challenged you. You chickened out.
You lose.
<quoted text>
You still lose.
Loony is under the impression the Barbarians and others since felt compelled to keep old Roman records preserved and archived. Especially so on cold nights or when those materials were needed for other purposes.

The Christian church is what retrieved and collated what was left of them.

Loony and his fellow tunes are a bit detached from the realities of the world.

Westcliffe, CO

#227995 May 1, 2014
blacklagoon wrote:
<quoted text>Three pounds full of all those things that make me more intelligent than you. Things like REASON..........LOGIC......... and extreme SKEPTICISM.
Unlike your brain, mine refuses to accept anything as being real without evidence. I became an Atheist the day I reached to age of reason. I guess you missed that day, and continue with your childish superstitions.
Believing in things that are not real is a serious mental illness called Delusional disorder, the inability to distinguish between what is real and that which is only imagined. I'd seek some professional help if I were you!!!
You are calling the overwhelming majority of humanity delusional.

But YOU and the few that think like you KNOW the TRUTH.

Find a mental health professional before they find you, loony.

Westcliffe, CO

#227996 May 1, 2014
"Under Communist Party rule since 1949, China is officially an atheist country, but Christianity is growing. According to the Pew Research Center, China's Christian population had reached 67 million by 2010, the second largest in Asia."

http://www.cnn.com/2014/05/01/world/asia/chin...

That is a sizeable percentage of people committed to a belief. In fact, too big not to increase in number. That many in concert will sway the non-committed and apathetic.

I have posted many times about Christianity being the escape from the tyranny of man over man. Just takes time and belief your god will prevail, which is built into the religion. Atheists, Topix type included, are geared to immediate self-gratification. That is why they always get swept away with the dust in time.

“let's do this thang!”

Since: Aug 10

Location hidden

#227997 May 1, 2014
feces for jesus wrote:
<quoted text>
Only a sucker would fall for the pipe dream of "eternal life".
Let me know how that works out for you after you die. Keep sucking on that phallus-like pipe dream.
but...but kind sir, i keep asking you to lay out what it is that you believe regarding life and our origin and stuff so i may consider their value, but all i get is insults and anger from you.

if this negativity from you is an expression of what you believe, i'll thank you to kindly keep your beliefs to yourself:-)

“I.Spirit.Son.God”

Since: Jan 12

Location hidden

#227998 May 1, 2014
Hidingfromyou wrote:
<quoted text>
Seriously, though, if you believe in satan you're silly.
satan, satan, satan,
satan all day long,
satan satan satan,
this is my silly song!
Hey!
so writer---You seem more silly to me >not< believing Satan exist.

Are you any less silly? oy!lol.

“let's do this thang!”

Location hidden

#227999 May 1, 2014
blacklagoon wrote:
<quoted text>Three pounds full of all those things that make me more intelligent than you. Things like REASON..........LOGIC......... and extreme SKEPTICISM.
Unlike your brain, mine refuses to accept anything as being real without evidence. I became an Atheist the day I reached to age of reason. I guess you missed that day, and continue with your childish superstitions.
Believing in things that are not real is a serious mental illness called Delusional disorder, the inability to distinguish between what is real and that which is only imagined. I'd seek some professional help if I were you!!!
dude said - "I became an Atheist the day I reached to age of reason"

did this day BY ANY CHANCE coincide with the day you came out of the closet?

i'm just asking because YOU WOULDN'T BELIEVE how closely related being an atheist and being gay (and/or gay activist) seemS to be in my experiences in talking with people here! that's why i coined the term 'GAYTHEISM'!!!

Westcliffe, CO

#228000 May 1, 2014
Given our Topix atheist's penchant for conspiracies, and of course their belief in abiogenesis and the likelihood of life forms more advanced than us existing, this would have to give them something to sink their teeth into and further enlighten them. This is a real natural for them.

http://durangoherald.com/article/20140429/NEW... ?-

Of course they will discover it is not a collusion of ETs and our secular government, but of ETs and Christianity. The Pope probably even has a suite to stay in on his visits.

It is a spooky area to drive in, even in the day. That whole area has a strange feel about it. But I would ascribe it to telluric currents.
blacklagoon

Boston, MA

#228001 May 1, 2014
waaasssuuup wrote:
<quoted text>
you're missing eternal life due to your willful ignorance and rejection of the historically and miraculously preserved documentation regarding the Messiah! not sure you'll need commas in your future....
are you afraid to debate me?:-)
There is NO historically preserved documents regarding Jesus, stop being a nitwit. The FACT is...there are NO contemporary accounts of the life of Jesus outside of the bible.

And NO, stories written about him decades after his death do NOT count as evidence.

The concept of eternal life was conjured up by frightened old men, the same ones who wrote the bible, to escape the horrifying fear you people have of darkness and death. Man up and accept death as a part of life. All things die, planets, suns, solar systems, galaxies, all living things, but you self-centered egotistical Theists believe you are so important that YOU get to live forever. What a weak minded, childish, approach to life. Die like a man, and not like a spoiled child who refuses to go to his room. The entire concept and you, are both PATHETIC !!

Since: May 10

Location hidden

#228002 May 1, 2014
blacklagoon wrote:
<quoted text>There is NO historically preserved documents regarding Jesus, stop being a nitwit. The FACT is...there are NO contemporary accounts of the life of Jesus outside of the bible.
And NO, stories written about him decades after his death do NOT count as evidence.
The concept of eternal life was conjured up by frightened old men, the same ones who wrote the bible, to escape the horrifying fear you people have of darkness and death. Man up and accept death as a part of life. All things die, planets, suns, solar systems, galaxies, all living things, but you self-centered egotistical Theists believe you are so important that YOU get to live forever. What a weak minded, childish, approach to life. Die like a man, and not like a spoiled child who refuses to go to his room. The entire concept and you, are both PATHETIC !!
Proper usage is "contemporaneous", not "contemporary".

Westcliffe, CO

#228003 May 1, 2014
blacklagoon wrote:
<quoted text>There is NO historically preserved documents regarding Jesus, stop being a nitwit. The FACT is...there are NO contemporary accounts of the life of Jesus outside of the bible.
Paul was writing about him 20 years later and churches had even started. There was a very quick startup of the religion, and it was diverse. No conspiracy. Except to you mind.

What you call a conspiracy was just the normal result of ascendancy to power and official doctrines developed with them. You have the same going on now with your gaytheism and inclusiveness and humanism.

BTW, your gay movement took longer to take hold than the first Christian churches. That is with mass media and lots of horn tooting.

Check out the Coptic Church and its beginnings and also realize that by 70 AD Christianity was well on its way.

http://www.nationalgeographic.com/lostgospel/...

The early churches were Jewish oriented. Paul turned it into a more universal religion which was spread by the Roman Empire.

Something happened to start that all in motion. It was not just a bunch of creative writers with nothing to do.
ROCCO

Desert Hot Springs, CA

#228004 May 1, 2014
Rosa_Winkel wrote:
<quoted text>
That's cute. If you tell me that your parrots talk to you, that's totally believable.
I find it a little harder to believe there really were talking snakes or talking donkeys. Not that much of a jackass.
:-)
Right, there's no such thing as talking snakes and talking donkeys, although this thread is littered with a fair number of talking asses.

My grey is very explicit about what she wants. If she wants an apple, she says apple. If she wants corn, she wants corn. Same with water, and many other things. To offer her something different than she asked for is a wasted effort.

When she was maybe 7 or 8 years old, I gave her her first drink of apple juice. Her irises contracted and expanded over and over, she took another sip, and then said "water apple". I now keep apple juice on hand mainly for her, lol!

Tell me she can't think!

Since: May 10

Location hidden

#228005 May 1, 2014
Hidingfromyou wrote:
<quoted text>

No, clearly, birds do not 'talk.' They mimic, and sometimes, yes. Sometimes, they even having meaning in their calls - more meaning in bird calls, obviously, then their mimicked human sounds.
So conversing with them would resemble talking with you.

“What are you looking at?”

Since: Jan 08

Albuquerque, NM

#228006 May 1, 2014
BenAdam wrote:
<quoted text>
I think that humans underestimate the sentience of our fellow life forms on this planet.
"June" surely does.

:o)

Westcliffe, CO

#228007 May 1, 2014
blacklagoon wrote:
Oh, by da way.

Give us some links to official sort of records that this Jesus was a fraud and fake before it became the offical state religion.

Do be advised there are at least rumors of persecution of Christians before that time. I'm sure there were many that would put the badmouth on them from that time.

Commentary by personages of the time will do. Let's see what they had to say about the matter.

“What are you looking at?”

Since: Jan 08

Albuquerque, NM

#228008 May 1, 2014
New Age Spiritual Leader wrote:

Thank you for being honest and admitting that the Bible was written by men.
As for the other things you think "God" can or cannot do, well, andet - you sort of failed here with the honesty.
The fact is - you don't know what "God" can or cannot do. So please do speak for him.
Please post links to sources or events that shows "God helps", or "God heals" or "God gives guidance". Please ensure that these sources have verifiable evidence that proves these actions occurred. Otherwise it is just an opinion by yet another man.
Thanks!
waaasssuuup wrote:
<quoted text>
LOL! see what i'm talking about ande1987?! this is the kind of company you're in when you oppose God/His Word!
If you had read what I wrote, without twisting up the words to your own liking, you will notice that I was correcting the poster with "they don't know the mind of God".

Sort of like I do with you daily.

Your arrogance is starting to peek through your words waaasssuuup. Calm down and breathe.
ROCCO

Desert Hot Springs, CA

#228010 May 1, 2014
Eagle 12 wrote:
<quoted text>
Finally we have someone who acknowledges that birds can talk in human language.
When one talks about the serpent in the Garden of Eden.
It is necessary to differentiate between the pre-cursed serpent and the post cursed serpent.
Good example: Einstein.

http://www.ted.com/talks/einstein_the_parrot_...

“let's do this thang!”

Location hidden

#228011 May 1, 2014
blacklagoon wrote:
what are you babbling about?!
ROCCO

Desert Hot Springs, CA

#228012 May 1, 2014
waaasssuuup wrote:
<quoted text>
and you're not bigoted, prejudice, intolerant, discriminating and hateful, HOW???
if you want to prove your intellectual superiority over me in a practical way, how about if we clearly and concisely lay out what it is we both believe about how life came to be and why and see which looks more plausible and which looks more ridiculous and unlikely?:-)
If you haven't learned anything from the 227,960 posts that precede your above reply, why would any rational human think just one more will be the one that causes you to have an epiphany and see the light? It's very, very easy to see who looks more ridiculous and maintains the least likely explanation.

As a guiding rule, I've learned not to waste much effort on causes that have proven to be hopeless. If I see something along the way that causes me to think you have, miraculously, ceased being a hopeless cause, I shall reconsider.

My hopes for same are not high.

“let's do this thang!”

Location hidden

#228013 May 1, 2014
Thank you for being honest and admitting that the Bible was written by men.
As for the other things you think "God" can or cannot do, well, andet - you sort of failed here with the honesty.
The fact is - you don't know what "God" can or cannot do. So please do speak for him.
Please post links to sources or events that shows "God helps", or "God heals" or "God gives guidance". Please ensure that these sources have verifiable evidence that proves these actions occurred. Otherwise it is just an opinion by yet another man.
Thanks!
<quoted text>
If you had read what I wrote, without twisting up the words to your own liking, you will notice that I was correcting the poster with "they don't know the mind of God".
Sort of like I do with you daily.
Your arrogance is starting to peek through your words waaasssuuup. Calm down and breathe.
YOU need to remember the fallen world's favorite buzz word - SELF!

if only i had a dime for every narcissistic song that included the lyrics "learn to love yourself/myself" i'd be rich!

btw - the world doesn't seem to be getting any better but really only more...well...SELFISH as a result of this oprah winfreyish new age BS, now do it!;-)

“let's do this thang!”

Location hidden

#228014 May 1, 2014
ROCCO wrote:
<quoted text>
If you haven't learned anything from the 227,960 posts that precede your above reply, why would any rational human think just one more will be the one that causes you to have an epiphany and see the light? It's very, very easy to see who looks more ridiculous and maintains the least likely explanation.
As a guiding rule, I've learned not to waste much effort on causes that have proven to be hopeless. If I see something along the way that causes me to think you have, miraculously, ceased being a hopeless cause, I shall reconsider.

OMGosh! we just posted the exact same thing at about the exact same time! JINX - NO BACKS!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

NCAA Basketball Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 3 min Tony17 1,263,841
News Thousands Protest Roe V. Wade Decision (Jan '08) 30 min Brian_G 310,343
What role do you think humans play in global wa... (Sep '14) 6 hr IBdaMann 6,472
I got my loan from [email protected] (Jun '13) 8 hr bernarlyn 33
News UCLA FOOTBALL NOTEBOOK: Neuheisel says Prince w... (Sep '10) 11 hr tom wingo 29,852
News Judge overturns California's ban on same-sex ma... (Aug '10) Jul 29 RiccardoFire 201,846
News San Diego State basketball: Four-star prospect ... Jul 25 Fart news 2
More from around the web