Atheism requires as much faith as rel...

Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

There are 244721 comments on the Webbunny tumblelog story from Jul 18, 2009, titled Atheism requires as much faith as religion?. In it, Webbunny tumblelog reports that:

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Webbunny tumblelog.

“Love much, trust none”

Since: Jul 11

There

#227616 Apr 28, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
That's like saying "the first president of United States" doesn't mention George Washington.
No one's listening to you...
WTF ?

I see you are you still experimenting with illegal drugs.

At least it will give your liver a break from the alcohol poisoning.

“Love much, trust none”

There

#227617 Apr 28, 2014
Catcher1 wrote:
<quoted text>
Excellent. Nothing beats the high life.
But tell us, how many times did you hit your wife?
And how many lies did you tell?
Hey, it's easy to get a passport, although you don't need it to enter L.A. County.
You're not invited though.
Stay in the hot dusty desert.
And say hi to your racist buddy Don Sterling should he decide to slum over your way.
I hope a baby didn't embarrass him while eating. You know how he gets.

“Love much, trust none”

There

#227618 Apr 28, 2014
Clearwater wrote:
<quoted text>More love and tolerance on display,
Nope, just rabid Christians screaming their usual hatred and bigotry.

“Love much, trust none”

There

#227619 Apr 28, 2014
waaasssuuup wrote:
<quoted text>
NOW WE'RE MAKING PROGRESS!!!:-)
put your thinking cap on for a min:
do you really want to belong to a weird cult that judges each other by the size of your head and by an ambiguous IQ rating system?!
stick with just being a trekkie since they're much less harmless and probably have better social lives.....
I know one thing, that no sane person would want to be a part of your weird cult that judges people by whether they believe a 1700 year old pagan cults babbling are "The word of God".

If Christianity is "Truth" then 'Bible God' deserves to be crucified. This time cut its damn head off so it stays dead.

“Love much, trust none”

There

#227620 Apr 28, 2014
Aquarius-WY wrote:
<quoted text>
Incorrect.
That entity which was your Dad no longer exists in this dimension, time, and place. Since that is true, it is impossible to beat up your father, he is not here. there is only an urn of burned matter left as a reminder that he left.
NOTE: Since cremation has taken place there is not even a dead body to beat sir, just ashes.
Like I said ... impossible.
So the best he can do is pound dirt ? LOL

OK. I accept that.
Eagle 12

Troy, IL

#227621 Apr 28, 2014
No Shiite wrote:
<quoted text>Yep, all religion is to you is a cudgel to bash others. How pathetic must your life bea.
Are you saying that you donít bash people here on topix?

You claim bashing people is pathetic?

So you are a self appointed judge that has given immunity to yourself for bashing others?

Thank you for giving us an example of a false balance.

[tipping hat]

“Love much, trust none”

There

#227622 Apr 28, 2014
I only throw back the rocks that are fling at me.

I seem to get along with everyone most of the time, except the rabid Fundies.

Seems the rabid Fundies are the problem here, no one else.

I have argued with Kate about Stregha, IANS about Humanism, Scom about Christianity and they have never become frothing at the mouth lunatics like the rabid Fundies here.

“It's time. . .”

Since: Jun 13

Terra Australis

#227623 Apr 28, 2014
waaasssuuup wrote:
<quoted text>
NOW WE'RE MAKING PROGRESS!!!:-)
put your thinking cap on for a min:
do you really want to belong to a weird cult that judges each other by the size of your head and by an ambiguous IQ rating system?!
stick with just being a trekkie since they're much less harmless and probably have better social lives.....
I'm sure it's better than being a kiddie fiddler, like you.
:-(
Eagle 12

Troy, IL

#227624 Apr 28, 2014
blacklagoon wrote:
<quoted text>
A new review of 63 scientific studies stretching back over decades has concluded that religious people are less intelligent than non-believers.
A piece of University of Rochester analysis, led by Professor Miron Zuckerman, found ďa reliable negative relation between intelligence and religiosityĒ in 53 out of 63 studies.
According to the study entitled,'The Relation Between Intelligence and Religiosity: A Meta-Analysis and Some Proposed Explanations', published in the 'Personality and Social Psychology Review', even during early years the more intelligent a child is the more likely it would be to turn away from religion.
In old age above average intelligence people are less likely to believe, the researchers also found.
One of the studies used in Zuckerman's paper was a life-long analysis of the beliefs of 1,500 gifted children with with IQs over 135.
The study began in 1921 and continues today. Even in extreme old age the subjects had much lower levels of religious belief than the average population.
The review, which is the first systematic meta-analysis of the 63 studies conducted in between 1928 and 2012, showed that of the 63 studies, 53 showed a negative correlation between intelligence and religiosity, while 10 showed a positive one.
Only two studies showed significant positive correlations and significant negative correlations were seen in a total of 35 studies.
The authors of the review looked at each study independently, taking into account the quality of data collection, the size of the sample and the analysis methods used.
The three psychologists carrying out the review defined intelligence as the ďability to reason, plan, solve problems, think abstractly, comprehend complex ideas, learn quickly, and learn from experienceĒ.
Religiosity is defined by the psychologists as involvement in some (or all) facets of religion.
According to the review, other factors - such as gender or education - did not make any difference to the correlation between intelligence and religious belief.
The level of belief, or otherwise, did however vary dependent upon age with the correlation found to be weakest among the pre-college population.
The paper concludes that: "Most extant explanations (of a negative relation) share one central theme óthe premise that religious beliefs are irrational, not anchored in science, not testable and, therefore, unappealing to intelligent people who 'know better'."
Criticisms of the conclusions include that the paper only deals with a definition of analytic intelligence and fails to consider newly identified forms of creative and emotional intelligence.
The psychologists who carried out the review also sought to pre-empt the secularist interpretation of the findings by suggesting that more intelligent people are less likely to have religious beliefs as they associate themselves with ideas around personal control.
"Intelligent people typically spend more time in school - a form of self-regulation that may yield long-term benefits," the researchers wrote.
"More intelligent people get higher level jobs (and better employment (and higher salary) may lead to higher self-esteem, and encourage personal control beliefs."
You're welcome!!
Iím not surprised Doctor.

Thatís what happens when a Chiwawa does a research study on the intelligence between German Shepherds and Chiwawas.

Of course the Chiwawa is going to claim to be a overall more intelligent and a bad a** Mother F**ker.

What Chiwawa doesnít think that way?, lol.

[hats off to the Chiwawas!]

“Love much, trust none”

There

#227625 Apr 28, 2014
Eagle 12 wrote:
<quoted text>
Iím not surprised Doctor.
Thatís what happens when a Chiwawa does a research study on the intelligence between German Shepherds and Chiwawas.
Of course the Chiwawa is going to claim to be a overall more intelligent and a bad a** Mother F**ker.
What Chiwawa doesnít think that way?, lol.
The Chihuahua (learn to spell) and the German Shepard are both far more intelligent than you are.

“It's time. . .”

Terra Australis

#227626 Apr 28, 2014
Rosa_Winkel wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm sure it's better than being a kiddie fiddler, like you.
:-(
And in case anyone thinks that accusation was over the top, here's his response when I pulled him up for his sleazy talk to an underage poster.
http://www.topix.com/forum/topstories/TOCO8TE...

Don't you love good Xians.
Chess Jurist

Columbus, OH

#227627 Apr 28, 2014
Rosa_Winkel wrote:
<quoted text>
And in case anyone thinks that accusation was over the top, here's his response when I pulled him up for his sleazy talk to an underage poster.
A permalink works best.

I assume this is your target:

Chess Jurist

Columbus, OH

#227628 Apr 28, 2014
BenAdam wrote:
<quoted text>
The Chihuahua (learn to spell) and the German Shepard are both far more intelligent than you are.
But less so than the African Grey:

Now that's a bird who knows a pretty tail when he sees one.
Chess Jurist

Columbus, OH

#227629 Apr 28, 2014
No Shiite wrote:
<quoted text>Unlike Christians, Sikhs are required to leave peaceful lives....
Well, as long as the go back to their peaceful lives when they are done with their religion, I suppose that's OK.

Since: Dec 12

Yes, I'm an Atheist.

#227630 Apr 28, 2014
Eagle 12 wrote:
<quoted text>I’m not surprised Doctor.

That’s what happens when a Chiwawa does a research study on the intelligence between German Shepherds and Chiwawas.

What Chiwawa doesn’t think that way?, lol.

What's a "Chiwawa"?

Since: Dec 12

Yes, I'm an Atheist.

#227631 Apr 29, 2014
Rosa_Winkel wrote:
<quoted text>And in case anyone thinks that accusation was over the top, here's his response when I pulled him up for his sleazy talk to an underage poster.

Everyone knows assssup is a vile pig.

“It's time. . .”

Terra Australis

#227632 Apr 29, 2014
Chess Jurist wrote:
<quoted text>
A permalink works best.
I assume this is your target:
Thanks.

“Love much, trust none”

There

#227633 Apr 29, 2014
Chess Jurist wrote:
<quoted text>
But less so than the African Grey:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =nfob7r_RvQAXX
Now that's a bird who knows a pretty tail when he sees one.
Many birds (and other animals) demonstrate fairly high intelligence.

“Love much, trust none”

There

#227634 Apr 29, 2014
Divinity Surgeon wrote:
<quoted text>
What's a "Chiwawa"?
I thought he was talking about the Wookie in Star Wars at first.

Yet, the clown will call people stupid for accidental typos.
LOL
He is a fukinloon, ain't he ?

“Love much, trust none”

There

#227635 Apr 29, 2014
Divinity Surgeon wrote:
<quoted text>
Everyone knows assssup is a vile pig.
Even asssup does.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

NCAA Basketball Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 25 min Nostrilis Waxman 1,262,082
News Judge overturns California's ban on same-sex ma... (Aug '10) 4 hr Just the Truth 201,853
News UCLA FOOTBALL NOTEBOOK: Neuheisel says Prince w... (Sep '10) 7 hr tom wingo 29,848
News Thousands Protest Roe V. Wade Decision (Jan '08) 8 hr John-K 310,312
News San Diego State basketball: Four-star prospect ... Jul 25 Fart news 2
The Email Address Debacle: Did Hillary Do Somet... Jul 25 xxxrayted 1,714
News 3 Arkansas players arrested on forgery complaint Jul 23 Fart news 2
More from around the web