Atheism requires as much faith as rel...

Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

There are 256103 comments on the Webbunny tumblelog story from Jul 18, 2009, titled Atheism requires as much faith as religion?. In it, Webbunny tumblelog reports that:

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Webbunny tumblelog.

Eagle 12

Edwardsville, IL

#227547 Apr 28, 2014
blacklagoon wrote:
<quoted text>All evidence points to higher intellectual levels for non-believers. Traits that define higher intellects are reason, logic, and skepticism. Just the fact that Atheism rejects childish and unsupported Theistic claims shows a higher level of intelligence. To suggest that Atheist somehow lack an understanding of humanitarianism is evidence of extreme ignorance and bias.
You have put yourself in a position of claiming Atheist lack any kind of compassion and understanding toward their fellow brothers and sister of the planet. This frames you are having one of the worst traits a human being can possess, that of being willfully ignorant.
What evidence would that be that supports" higher intellectual levels for non-believers."

“let's do this thang!”

Since: Aug 10

Location hidden

#227548 Apr 28, 2014
Aerobatty wrote:
<quoted text>
You're not qualified for membership.
NOW WE'RE MAKING PROGRESS!!!:-)

put your thinking cap on for a min:

do you really want to belong to a weird cult that judges each other by the size of your head and by an ambiguous IQ rating system?!

stick with just being a trekkie since they're much less harmless and probably have better social lives.....

“What are you looking at?”

Since: Jan 08

Albuquerque, NM

#227549 Apr 28, 2014
Eagle 12 wrote:
<quoted text>
Kepler-62f is located about 1200 light-years (370 parsecs) from Earth in the constellation of Lyra. Wiki.
That’s hardly 5 light years away. You missed it by 1195 light years.
My bad. For some reason I heard "5" - I probably mixed it with something else.

Thanks for the correction.
Eagle 12 wrote:
<quoted text>
Scientist are actively looking for new planets. The have found some that perhaps could sustain life. That is a fact.
Correct.

Unproven, but correct in the statement.
Eagle 12 wrote:
<quoted text>
Another fact is the bible “references” a new earth in Revelation 21:1. The reference is a fact. I know you don’t believe the Bible. But the fact remains the “reference” is listed there.
The Bible is not all factual.

Rev 21: is nothing but a man's vision written down.

Do you believe Edgar Casey's visions? Nostradamus?

....but you will beleive "Paul", "John" and other unproven individuals.

Please post where "God" specifically states which texts are of "His" inspiration and which are not.
Eagle 12 wrote:
<quoted text>
What is absurd is your denial of these facts previously listed.
Not absurd. I use logic, historical facts, and apply reason to my conclusions.

You've yet to prove a vision is a fact. Will you do this, or just skate on by and disregard my request?

Honesty Eagle - that is all I ever ask of others. I am to you, you should be to me.
Eagle 12 wrote:
<quoted text>
Bad weather is on the way my friend. Try to stay dry and out of harms way.
"Bad weather"? Is this a metaphor or an actual meteoroligist report of the storm that is currently moving across the Mid-West and killing people unsuspectingly?

Did you "God" do this?

“Ditat Deus”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#227550 Apr 28, 2014
Aquarius-WY wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm an avid gardener Einstein. Plants do in fact respond to stimuli, or as you put it "sense impressions".
Ability to feel? Try researching if carrots really do scream when you pull them from their beds.
The root ends of plants actually FEEL their way around underground objects like rocks. Their growing tips actually contain and retain the ability to move up and down and from side to side in order to find a way to the nutrients they seek. If they find adequate nutrients just below ground level, they stop searching for food unless the source dries up. Then the roots begin searching again.
What do you suppose those vine plants are doing when they send out their "feelers" to secure the stalk to a trellis? Plants are trainable Einstein. I train the melons every year to climb the trellis. Within a matter of a couple minutes, I can prove to you that the plant actually felt it when it touched the wire and begins to physically wrap itself around the wire.
Again, are plants sentient sir?
*siiiiiigh...*

No.

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#227551 Apr 28, 2014
No Shiite wrote:
<quoted text>Actually, no. In the Oxford dictionary, from the UK, ahem, fairytale and fairy-tale are acceptable. In the US, according to Webster, it is a hyphenated modifier and written as fairy-tale.
You have never owned a passport. How can you possibly disparage a place you have never been. The UK is wonderful.
I've never owned a passport?

Oh.

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#227552 Apr 28, 2014
No Shiite wrote:
<quoted text>Uh, that's not plagiarism, silly. This is just an insignificant forum, a game. You can believe whatever you want.
I knew that before you told me.

I don't believe you or the site you plagiarized from.

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#227553 Apr 28, 2014
No Shiite wrote:
<quoted text>Uh, that's not plagiarism, silly. This is just an insignificant forum, a game. You can believe whatever you want.
OOPS.

Before you get all anal on me:

I don't believe you or from which site you plagiarized.

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#227554 Apr 28, 2014
BenAdam wrote:
<quoted text>
Wrong and you know it, you fukinliar.
I believe Jesus existed.
I just don't believe all the lies your religion made up about him 300 years after he was crucified.
M'kay pumpkin.

Luv u
blacklagoon

Jamaica Plain, MA

#227555 Apr 28, 2014
Aquarius-WY wrote:
<quoted text>
I see.
So then you DO admit that a "real" thing can be "proven" to exist by proxy observations (monitoring brain waves) and not direct "empirical" observation. Dark matter was "proven" to exist in a similar fashion.
Empirical means verifiable by observation. As long as we are talking about events and things in the naturalistic realm, observations are one way of providing evidence. Black holes were proven to exist by the effects they had within the naturalistic realm.

Since: Sep 10

Fremont, CA

#227556 Apr 28, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
I've never owned a passport?
Oh.
Have you ever had a passport issued in your name?
blacklagoon

Jamaica Plain, MA

#227557 Apr 28, 2014
Aquarius-WY wrote:
<quoted text>
Apparently you have an impairment or two.
"Science needs data in order to tell if something really happened. "
Correct. Thank you for proving my point that science is wholly incapable of proving anything at all, unless "traces" of what science accepts as "traces", exist.
Let's say that a person walks across a room, but leaves NO empirical evidence whatsoever in the room. Science is incapable of proving that the person actually walked across the room but yet it happened.
Your little itty bitty box of currently acceptable empirical evidence, leaves science helpless to "discover" what lies beyond it's itty bitty box of proof.
If verifying that this person actually walked into this room was important then science could absolutely verify it. There is alway proof. An investigation into the whereabouts of this person on that particular day, this person being observed by others.

And because there may be instances were science cannot supply an immediate answer does not mean that things that do not exist are suddenly validated.

There is no other reality other than the one you are in. Only the naturalistic realm exits. It is not only impossible, but foolish to attempt to create tools for examining that which is non-existent.

What tools would you use to examine pixie dust? What methodology would you use to discover where NeverNever land is? How does the Cheshire Cat in Alice And Wonderland rearrange his molecular structure?

“Evolved hunter/gatherer”

Location hidden

#227558 Apr 28, 2014
BenAdam wrote:
<quoted text>
No. If he can beat a dead horse, he can beat up my dead father. Ashes don't put up much of a fight.
Incorrect.
That entity which was your Dad no longer exists in this dimension, time, and place. Since that is true, it is impossible to beat up your father, he is not here. there is only an urn of burned matter left as a reminder that he left.
NOTE: Since cremation has taken place there is not even a dead body to beat sir, just ashes.
Like I said ... impossible.

“I see quantum effects”

Since: Jan 11

In the macro world.

#227559 Apr 28, 2014
waaasssuuup wrote:
<quoted text>NOW WE'RE MAKING PROGRESS!!!:-)

put your thinking cap on for a min:

do you really want to belong to a weird cult that judges each other by the size of your head and by an ambiguous IQ rating system?!

stick with just being a trekkie since they're much less harmless and probably have better social lives.....
"Much less harmless"?

I think you dropped your IQ.

That's ok. It didn't have far to fall.

“Wrath”

Since: Dec 10

Is revenant

#227560 Apr 28, 2014
Aura Mytha wrote:
<quoted text>
Actually none of them did, you didn't know that though huh?
They didn't even write the books they are credited for.
So how do you think any of it is real?
BenAdam wrote:
<quoted text>
"But, but, my minister said they were!" - Christards
What makes it even worse is editors who changed the text, making false entries.
And the mistranslations that change it completely.
But the very worst of it ...is the deliberate additions to satisfy rulers or the monarchs who condoned the additions.

That makes it completely incoherent to what the original text said.
So you end up with what ever someone wanted it to say.
But just WHO was it that said it?
No I Dear!

Location hidden

#227561 Apr 28, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
*siiiiiigh...*
No.
Then your definition of sentient needs a rewrite Redneck.
blacklagoon

Jamaica Plain, MA

#227562 Apr 28, 2014
Aquarius-WY wrote:
<quoted text>
It is a theory. It is called a theory even by the scientists promoting the theory.
<smile>
What proof do you have of the origin of the speech gene? From what "lower" life form does it originate? Why does it not exist in any other life form aside from homo sapien on this planet?
The theory is still full of holes. You know that too.
Sad to see that you are no different from those ignorant enough to proclaim "Evolution is only a theory." Thereby placing yourself in that category of people who have no idea what a theory means, especially a scientific theory.

A scientific theory is the highest point in a scientific discovery. It means that a hypothesis has been tested over and over again, subjected to numerous peer reviews, has survived all attempts at falsification, and has then become the very best explanation, it is now a THEORY and is supported by all of mainstream science. Which is why 99.99% of all scientists world wide, accept evolution as a FACT.

Ask yourself why in 2012 there were 35,000 articles written in support of evolution, and ZERO against.

There may well be aspects of evolution that are still under investigation, but make no mistake, evolution is a FACT, and to deny it is no different from denying gravity, or that the Earth revolves around the sun.

You really should stop reading BS from creationists web sites, it will rot your brain.

Location hidden

#227563 Apr 28, 2014
blacklagoon wrote:
<quoted text>Empirical means verifiable by observation. As long as we are talking about events and things in the naturalistic realm, observations are one way of providing evidence. Black holes were proven to exist by the effects they had within the naturalistic realm.
Yes,... and ... that is what I have already pointed out. That is how dark matter was "proven".

“The King of R&R”

Since: Dec 07

Location hidden

#227564 Apr 28, 2014
Catcher1 wrote:
<quoted text>
Have you ever had a passport issued in your name?
Hey: these rats tried to eliminate me. No luck for them! I am back.

Location hidden

#227565 Apr 28, 2014
blacklagoon wrote:
<quoted text>
And because there may be instances were science cannot supply an immediate answer does not mean that things that do not exist are suddenly validated.
?
It does not mean that things science "cannot supply an immediate answer " for do not exist either Einstein.
Again, you pre-conclude and declare something is non-existent simply because "science cannot supply an immediate answer "
<SMILE>

“let's do this thang!”

Since: Aug 10

Location hidden

#227566 Apr 28, 2014
Aerobatty wrote:
<quoted text>
"Much less harmless"?
I think you dropped your IQ.
That's ok. It didn't have far to fall.
lol! i thought about that mistake after i sent it, then i thought about how you'd strain at the gnat (type-o) and would swallow the camel (miss the whole message) because you're so smart!

you must be what i like to call 'autistic-smart'!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

NCAA Basketball Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 2 min FYVM 1,405,957
News UCLA FOOTBALL NOTEBOOK: Neuheisel says Prince w... (Sep '10) Wed Trojan 32,308
News Thousands Protest Roe V. Wade Decision (Jan '08) Wed ThomasA 311,496
What role do you think humans play in global wa... (Sep '14) Wed IB DaMann 9,991
News Judge overturns California's ban on same-sex ma... (Aug '10) Jul 25 NotInPotatoQuality 201,878
legitimate loan lender (Oct '13) Jul 21 Ceren 7
What Ever Happen To Niagara Basketball (May '15) Jul 17 Disappointed PE 3
More from around the web