Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent. Full Story
Eagle 12

Troy, IL

#226521 Apr 22, 2014
Recently,

A Washington, D.C.-based secular organization has filed a lawsuit against the words "under God" in the Pledge of Allegiance.

The American Humanist Association announced Monday that a New Jersey school district will be the latest entity sued over the two words.

By Michael Gryboski, Christian Post Reporter
April 22, 2014|9:58 am

----------

Previously,

On March 11, 2010, the United States Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit upheld the words "under God" in the Pledge of Allegiance in the case of Newdow v. Rio Linda Union School District. In a 2–1 decision, the appellate court ruled that the words were of a "ceremonial and patriotic nature" and did not constitute an establishment of religion. Wiki.
----------

I somewhat agree with the US Court of Appeals, the words of the Pledge of Allegiance doesn’t endorse a religion and is patriotic by nature. But on the other hand I wouldn’t want the Pledge to say “Under Allah.”

The Pledge of Allegiance of the United States Flag has remained unchanged for 60 years.

I would prefer it not change but if the courts decide to change it I would be ok with the 1924 version which is as follows.

"I pledge allegiance to the Flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands; one Nation indivisible with liberty and justice for all."
Eagle 12
blacklagoon

Revere, MA

#226522 Apr 22, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
You're assuming. In doing so, you rendered this debate pointless. I will not sit here and argue with some fool that thinks DNA didn't exist until it was discovered.
Ha Ha, Too funny, and you're assuming that your God thing exists, so any conversation about God is also pointless, see how that works?

Being a dishonest liar certainly fits within the Christian mold. I have challenged you a number of times to show the post were I said exactly that, that "DNA did not exist until it was discovered." Never said those words you lying assclown.
blacklagoon

Revere, MA

#226523 Apr 22, 2014
KiMare wrote:
<quoted text>
Now you have a charlie horse in your sphincter?
SMirk.
Always the sick sexuality with you, I don't suppose we can expect much else from a freak of nature!!

“Ditat Deus”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#226524 Apr 22, 2014
blacklagoon wrote:
<quoted text>Ha Ha, Too funny, and you're assuming that your God thing exists, so any conversation about God is also pointless, see how that works?
Being a dishonest liar certainly fits within the Christian mold. I have challenged you a number of times to show the post were I said exactly that, that "DNA did not exist until it was discovered." Never said those words you lying assclown.
Liar.

You even emphasized the words "AS FAR AS SCIENCE IS CONCERNED".

You know you did.

Well you probably know you did, depends on how much pot you smoke...

“ The Lord of delirious minds.”

Since: Dec 10

Location hidden

#226525 Apr 22, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Oh ya.... I'm skeered.
What's he gonna do, pop a comment in my ass?
I'm gonna make you have to live with yourself.
andet1987

Chicago, IL

#226526 Apr 22, 2014
blacklagoon wrote:
<quoted text>Ha Ha, Too funny, and you're assuming that your God thing exists, so any conversation about God is also pointless, see how that works?
so can you explain this Miracle ?

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php...

“Aaaaaaaaaaaaah”

Since: Aug 07

Piscataway

#226527 Apr 22, 2014
number four wrote:
<quoted text>..you're going to get pissed ..
But , God is the sole giver ' and' demands to be the sole taker ...I know , what those sacred authors accuse God of , Genocide .
The Bible is very clear ..Vengeance is..?
( I don't have finish that verse .)..you know how it goes ..
God works for Nike?

Vengeance is a really bad metal band. If I am wrong, let God strike me dea.......

“Aaaaaaaaaaaaah”

Since: Aug 07

Piscataway

#226528 Apr 22, 2014
Whoops, you missed, you moldy prick.

“KiMare'a the Monster Mutation”

Since: Nov 10

Location hidden

#226530 Apr 23, 2014
number four wrote:
<quoted text>...Wow...everybody tells me "one" issue voters , are uninformed , national politics are much more nuanced and complicated ....than , a single issue ..
Tell that to the civil righters , or abolitionists ......the economy , the environment ,debt, education .....I DON'T CARE ....
You , don't murder innocent people , just because they're inconvenient ..!!
I GOT A BIG CRUSH ..ON YOU "KiMare"...!!
Aw shucks...

I'm just a near senile old jack ass with some common sense.

Also a redeemed cynic who remains barbarian.

Smile.

“Religion kills”

Since: Jun 13

Down Under

#226531 Apr 23, 2014
sweets2360 wrote:
<quoted text>
You must be a kid, under 21 anyway. If you were truly selfish, you would fight for balance in the ecosystem that makes up earth. When the rainforests are gone and the oceans polluted to where there are no more whales, humans will be on the downslide and wont last many more years. We will be like the dinosaurs.
Ocean pollution, air pollution, earth pollution.
Dead right. We need more renewable energy and less smoking chimneys.

“Religion kills”

Down Under

#226533 Apr 23, 2014
wilderide wrote:
<quoted text>
If you condemn slavery that's great, but you do so in direct contradiction to the Bible. And yet you use the Bible to condemn homosexuality.
Clueless, cherry-picking hypocrite.
And please tell me what you do every day to combat contemporary slavery and child sacrifice. Yet more hypocrisy on your part.
Nobody wants to eat in THAT cafeteria, Wilde.

“Religion kills”

Down Under

#226535 Apr 23, 2014
wilderide wrote:
<quoted text>
It is immoral to buy and sell people and treat them as property. That the Romans did so is irrelevant to that fact. Morality has evolved since then. The Bible has not. It still says what it says. You just have to cherry-pick harder as time goes on. Same thing with the advance of knowledge and science. We know now that the Earth does not revolve around the sun, it is not flat with corners, the sky is not a fixed dome, and the moon is not it's own light source, but rather reflects light from the sun.
You ask what objective moral basis I have for stating that treating people as property as immoral. It makes me wonder if you are aware of all the moral philosophies which exist which do not rely on any deity. Take an ethics class sometime. You'll soon discover that you don't need a slavery-condoning, infanticidal torture-fan to enforce a moral code.
There is a lot more to ethics than the Divine Command Theory. Even so, that's not necessarily Xian. Considering that even Socrates questioned what the gods approved of.

I don't imagine you're a fan of it.
:-)

“Religion kills”

Down Under

#226536 Apr 23, 2014
Clearwater wrote:
<quoted text>The so called ethics on display here by people that often say 'no god needed' is something to see. How long before one wishes us dead (again) or equates Christians to a stain on society? The love and tolerance is awesome!
If you say so...

I certainly don't wish you dead. May you have a long and happy life. However since you are a fundie, it will probably only be a life that seems long.

“Religion kills”

Down Under

#226537 Apr 23, 2014
Bob of Quantum-Faith wrote:
<quoted text>
Ha! That's an idea I never thought of.
Stephen King's writing is, to me, hit-or-miss. Some of it I love, like The Stand or It. Other of his books, not so much.
I always think he has a macabre sense of humour, entertaining @ times.

“Religion kills”

Down Under

#226538 Apr 23, 2014
wilderide wrote:
<quoted text>
False equivalence. Indentured servitude is entirely different than incarceration. It's remarkable to me that you or anyone would be an apologist for slavery. That pretty much takes away your morality card right there.
BTW, "sweetie"? LOL! You crack me up Smirky.
Those who deny freedom to others deserve it not for themselves.

- Abraham Lincoln

http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/quotes/a/ab...

“Religion kills”

Down Under

#226539 Apr 23, 2014
JaclynNoel wrote:
<quoted text>
All that junk at the beginning is cool and all, but no one cares about your backstory. The fact that you continue to try to use a nonsensical Christian would-be insult just proves how stupid you really are. Worse than what Christians did? Hardly! Name one thing that ANYONE is doing today that is worse than the crap that Christians did during the crusades, I dare you.
Good shot!

That one and his cliches are more brainless than even Barbie ever was, more like a bucket of rocks.

“Religion kills”

Down Under

#226540 Apr 23, 2014
KiMare wrote:
<quoted text>
Now you have a charlie horse in your sphincter?
SMirk.
No but you have an anal fixation. Now why is that?!

“KiMare'a the Monster Mutation”

Since: Nov 10

Location hidden

#226541 Apr 23, 2014
Rosa_Winkel wrote:
<quoted text>
No but you have an anal fixation. Now why is that?!
Because I'm a lesbian trapped in a straight man?

Smirk.

Since: May 10

Location hidden

#226542 Apr 23, 2014
No Shiite wrote:
<quoted text>Thankfully modern medicine has helped to fix a really shitty design.
Learning how to kill an unborn human is your idea of "fixing".

You are a blathering moron, Eats Shiite.

I'd love to see something you design. The closest you get is your turds.

Since: May 10

Location hidden

#226543 Apr 23, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
I've always found it amusing to see women congratulate each other for getting pregnant, as if they've done something so miraculous and rare that merits congratulations...
I also find it amusing when perfectly healthy and pregnant women pretend like pregnancy = handicapped.
The crusade for abortion is the movement that dare not speak its name.

Notice the slippery euphemisms they substitute for what the procedure actually does: "pregnancy", not a developing human. "terminating a pregnancy", not ending a human life. "Products of conception", "choice", "reproductive rights",....it goes on and on.

Be suspicious of any argument where people will not say what it is they are arguing for.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

NCAA Basketball Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Thousands Protest Roe V. Wade Decision (Jan '08) 8 min ChickBrilliance 307,721
Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 20 min RealDave 1,171,855
What role do you think humans play in global wa... 27 min Brian_G 2,995
Should child beauty pageants be banned? 11 hr Roy the Boy 726
UCLA FOOTBALL NOTEBOOK: Neuheisel says Prince w... (Sep '10) 21 hr Trojan 28,700
I got my loan from stephenloanhelp@hotmail.com (Jun '13) 23 hr RICK SERVICE 32
San Diego State hoping Dwayne Polee II gets a shot Fri alanparkcity 1
More from around the web