Atheism requires as much faith as rel...

Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

There are 258485 comments on the Webbunny tumblelog story from Jul 18, 2009, titled Atheism requires as much faith as religion?. In it, Webbunny tumblelog reports that:

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Webbunny tumblelog.

“The Bible is no science book”

Since: Jan 08

Location hidden

#226216 Apr 21, 2014
number four wrote:
<quoted text>The culture was different back then , 15 was considered marriageable ..
And , If you had reading comprehension ; you could go to "Luke" yourself , and actually read for yourself, Mary did give consent ...
sorry for proving you wrong , in such a public forum ..
Was she like some of our little diva princesses around here and have a bunch of scribes following her around while she was dating Joseph, so that they could write down every word she uttered, kinda like Justin Beiber?

They already knew which girl was going to be "the queen for the day" so they stayed on her heels till god impregnated her?

You guys act like every biblical character had a host of scribes writing down every thought and uttered word, even before they were even famous. Does that make sense to anybody? Or would you think, okey, this happened, so maybe they said this or that or lets make up something that fits the case. Easy to write if you already know what happened. Right?

“Credulity is not a virtue”

Since: Apr 09

San Francisco

#226217 Apr 21, 2014
Eagle 12 wrote:
<quoted text>

You canít build 180 Pyramids in ancient Egypt without slave labor. No society could afford that kind of tax burden.
The Egyptians did have slaves, although many of the laborers were also paid and volunteers too. They may have had some Jewish slaves too. But there is no evidence that they systematically enslaved Jews specifically. Sorry, but that is a historical fact.

San Francisco

#226218 Apr 21, 2014
Eagle 12 wrote:
<quoted text>
Slavery is still in our modern society. But because it happened to the Jews you refuse to believe it.
Really? What corporation can buy and sell people as property, and can beat them unto death, as is described in the Bible?

Sorry, but no, the slavery in the Bible has no modern equivalence, and it is really amazing that you are trying to pain me as an anti-semite when you are being an apologist for something like slavery. Give me a break.

Catcher1

Since: Sep 10

Fremont, CA

#226219 Apr 21, 2014
lightbeamrider wrote:
<quoted text> Got a song for ya Shite. It is a song by slaves about liberation. Slave liberation!!!! From the Old Testament!
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Go_Down_Moses
Here's Ingersoll, live in the 1890s (with credit to Edison).

Catcher1

Fremont, CA

#226220 Apr 21, 2014
ChristINSANITY is EVIL

Windsor, Canada

#226221 Apr 21, 2014
KiMare wrote:
Let's get this straight.
'Rational atheist' oxymorons condemn the Bible for setting guidelines regarding slavery in cultures where it was a consequence of war and debt, but excuse the sacrificial murder of unborn children for the convenience of irresponsible couples.
Takes a reprobate to think like that...
Smirk.
Sacrificial murder?

KimAirhead youre an IDiot,

Since: Jun 12

Location hidden

#226222 Apr 21, 2014
Catcher1 wrote:
No, not there, here.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =rLLapwIoEVIXX
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robert_G._Ingers...

Robert_G._Ingersoll

After the war, he served as Illinois Attorney General. He was a prominent member of the Republican Party and, though he never held an elected position, he was nonetheless an active participant in politics. According to Robert Nisbet, Ingersoll was a "staunch conservative Republican."[6] His speech nominating James G. Blaine for the 1876 presidential election was unsuccessful, as Rutherford B. Hayes received the Republican nomination, but the speech itself, known as the "Plumed Knight" speech, was considered a model of political oratory.

“KiMare'a the Monster Mutation”

Since: Nov 10

Location hidden

#226223 Apr 21, 2014
wilderide wrote:
<quoted text>
So slavery was OK because of war and debt?
Wow.
Since we still have war and debt today, are you saying slavery should be reintroduced?
You are simply (I mean that both ways) being obstinate.

Most primitive cultures utilized slavery. As they develop, other methods of dealing with the situations are used. In fact, Christianity introduced that change.

You keep trying to condemn an ancient, defunct practice while excusing the murder of children for convenience. That's both depraved and perverted, not to mention hypocritical!

Location hidden

#226224 Apr 21, 2014
KiMare wrote:
Let's get this straight.
'Rational atheist' oxymorons condemn the Bible for setting guidelines regarding slavery in cultures where it was a consequence of war and debt, but excuse the sacrificial murder of unborn children for the convenience of irresponsible couples.
Takes a reprobate to think like that...
Smirk.
ChristINSANITY is EVIL wrote:
<quoted text>
Sacrificial murder?
KimAirhead youre an IDiot,
Ah the 'rational atheist' oxymoron hater uses a troll attack to make her defense.

I'm suppose to debate a teen punk?

Smirk.

Location hidden

#226225 Apr 21, 2014
Then there is the 'rational atheist' oxymorons condemning the tax exempt status of Churches who are actively helping primarily atheists in their own communities RIGHT NOW, while ignoring the pillaging of poor people by our own government through Lotteries.

Looks like the moral high ground of 'rational atheist' oxymorons is the Mariana Trench.

And if we fell off that moral pinnacle and landed on their IQ, we'd die...

Smirk.

Since: Jun 12

Location hidden

#226226 Apr 21, 2014
wilderide wrote:
<quoted text>
Really? What corporation can buy and sell people as property, and can beat them unto death, as is described in the Bible?
Sorry, but no, the slavery in the Bible has no modern equivalence, and it is really amazing that you are trying to pain me as an anti-semite when you are being an apologist for something like slavery. Give me a break.
Here is a slave song for you by slaves about slave liberation from the Old Testament.

Go Down Moses

Catcher1

Fremont, CA

#226227 Apr 21, 2014
lightbeamrider wrote:
<quoted text>
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robert_G._Ingers...
Robert_G._Ingersoll
After the war, he served as Illinois Attorney General. He was a prominent member of the Republican Party and, though he never held an elected position, he was nonetheless an active participant in politics. According to Robert Nisbet, Ingersoll was a "staunch conservative Republican."[6] His speech nominating James G. Blaine for the 1876 presidential election was unsuccessful, as Rutherford B. Hayes received the Republican nomination, but the speech itself, known as the "Plumed Knight" speech, was considered a model of political oratory.
"We have heard talk enough. We have listened to all the drowsy, idealess, vapid sermons that we wish to hear. We have read your Bible and the works of your best minds. We have heard your prayers, your solemn groans and your reverential amens. All these amount to less than nothing. We want one fact. We beg at the doors of your churches for just one little fact. We pass our hats along your pews and under your pulpits and implore you for just one fact. We know all about your mouldy wonders and your stale miracles. We want a this year's fact. We ask only one. Give us one fact for charity. Your miracles are too ancient. The witnesses have been dead for nearly two thousand years." ó Robert Green Ingersoll, "The Gods" (1872)

Since: Dec 12

Location hidden

#226228 Apr 21, 2014
waaasssuuup wrote:
<quoted text>you know how to quote the Bible as good as anyone here, why don't you go ahead and post the one's regarding homosexuality for us:-)
Didn't riversideretard tell you?

All that stuff was for the ancient Israelites.

Not applicable today, for anybody. Be free little pig, commit as much adultery as you like!

Oh happy days!

Location hidden

#226229 Apr 21, 2014
Aerobatty wrote:
<quoted text>But that WAS a pretty good Bucky impression. I guess all that semen you swallow is having an effect.
Better to swallow than to spill. Spilling seed is murder.

Location hidden

#226230 Apr 21, 2014
karl44 wrote:
<quoted text>the author of RR also posts Buck

this is not the first slip
Lol. It's mildly amusing. What I often wonder is, how he manages to be so ridiculously ignorant in both socks.

You'd think he'd at least try to mix it up a bit, it's not like he actually does any work at his "job" anyway, he's got time.

San Francisco

#226231 Apr 21, 2014
KiMare wrote:
<quoted text>
You are simply (I mean that both ways) being obstinate.
Most primitive cultures utilized slavery. As they develop, other methods of dealing with the situations are used. In fact, Christianity introduced that change.
"In fact, Christianity introduced that change."

Um, no. In fact in the New Testament Paul reiterated slavery as a legitimate institution by declaring that slaves should be obedient to their masters.

"Most primitive cultures utilized slavery."

So? Was God afraid of offending them by declaring slavery immoral? Was God more concerned about shrimp and whether people wore cloth woven from cotton and wool?

Location hidden

#226232 Apr 21, 2014
Bob of Quantum-Faith wrote:
<quoted text>That's Dave Nelson:

He can *literally* write to the 4000 character Topix limit, and not say a single coherent idea.

It's almost funny, in a way...
Dave has a similar effect to Tracy Chapman's music.

San Francisco

#226233 Apr 21, 2014
KiMare wrote:
<quoted text>

You keep trying to condemn an ancient, defunct practice while excusing the murder of children for convenience. That's both depraved and perverted, not to mention hypocritical!
I've never condoned murdering children. But the Bible does. Why don't you condemn the infanticide in the Bible? Hypocrite.

San Francisco

#226234 Apr 21, 2014
lightbeamrider wrote:
<quoted text>
Here is a slave song for you by slaves about slave liberation from the Old Testament.
Go Down Moses
And?

Slavery is immoral by definition. Why won't you condemn the slavery in the Bible as immoral?

Location hidden

#226235 Apr 21, 2014
ROCCO wrote:
<quoted text>I had an encounter with a couple with a little boy one day. Part of the conversation included when I asked the little boy how old he is. He said "five".

I then asked him when he turned five. He gave me this piercing look as if I was an imbecile, waited a moment and then said "After I was four".

Outta the mouth of babes!
Lol. My 6 year old has that look.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

NCAA Basketball Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 6 min Injudgement 1,601,223
News Thousands Protest Roe V. Wade Decision (Jan '08) 44 min weapon X 317,480
News UCLA FOOTBALL NOTEBOOK: Neuheisel says Prince w... (Sep '10) 2 hr LMAOphartss 34,199
What role do you think humans play in global wa... (Sep '14) 3 hr POPS 11,559
How to Recover Deleted or lost Contacts from Sa... (Dec '14) Sep 14 Hellepsoaio 12
Conn's Appliances (Nov '07) Sep 12 Love 292
News Judge overturns California's ban on same-sex ma... (Aug '10) Sep 11 Rose of Tralee 201,880
More from around the web