Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent. Full Story

“I see quantum effects”

Since: Jan 11

In the macro world.

#224722 Apr 15, 2014
waaasssuuup wrote:
<quoted text>listen here jacy (mind if i call u jacy?), you look like someone who could use my personal help (yur HOT!)

no one is saying you have to go anywhere on sunday morning, but that has become a tradition. as for listening to guys in labcoats; the one's who are seeking recognition for themselves and/or are angry at God, are no better than the few in churches doing the same thing by misrespresenting God!
Ooooooo....

This should be fun.

“Keep calm and use logic.”

Since: Apr 14

Los Angeles, CA.

#224723 Apr 15, 2014
KiMare wrote:
<quoted text>
You have no idea what you are talking about.
Last Saturday we had over twenty volunteer crews working on different projects for the needy. Sunday a Dr from Africa thanked us for providing $60,000 to build a hospital for handicapped children. We also sent a work crew to help.
We are just one church in one community.
Perhaps you have a comperable example of 'rational atheist' oxymorons doing something similar in your community?
Smile.
Actually, I do know what I'm talking about, I'm glad to hear that you have projects to help the needy. But, like you said, you are just one church in one community. Most churches aren't like that.

“Evolved hunter/gatherer”

Since: Jan 08

Location hidden

#224724 Apr 15, 2014
Anon wrote:
<quoted text>
So answer the question...smartass.
When Columbus came to America, which government was in charge?
In charge of what and where?

Los Angeles, CA.

#224725 Apr 15, 2014
waaasssuuup wrote:
<quoted text>
listen here jacy (mind if i call u jacy?), you look like someone who could use my personal help (yur HOT!)
no one is saying you have to go anywhere on sunday morning, but that has become a tradition. as for listening to guys in labcoats; the one's who are seeking recognition for themselves and/or are angry at God, are no better than the few in churches doing the same thing by misrespresenting God!
Actually, it says several times in the bible to attend church regularly. The scientists I'm talking about aren't seeking recognition, in fact, most of them never get 'recognized' at all. Most of them aren't angry at god because they don't believe in god. Misrepresenting? They aren't representing anything or anyone other than the pursuit of knowledge. Sorry if I seem rude, I'm having an interesting day.

“I see quantum effects”

Since: Jan 11

In the macro world.

#224726 Apr 15, 2014
JaclynNoel wrote:
<quoted text>Actually, it says several times in the bible to attend church regularly. The scientists I'm talking about aren't seeking recognition, in fact, most of them never get 'recognized' at all. Most of them aren't angry at god because they don't believe in god. Misrepresenting? They aren't representing anything or anyone other than the pursuit of knowledge. Sorry if I seem rude, I'm having an interesting day.
You'll find that waaaasssshole deserves any and all rudeness you wish to deal him.

Location hidden

#224727 Apr 15, 2014
JaclynNoel wrote:
<quoted text>
Actually, I do know what I'm talking about, I'm glad to hear that you have projects to help the needy. But, like you said, you are just one church in one community. Most churches aren't like that.
Well then, if what you wrote right up ^there is true and correct, it now falls upon you to modify your approach to this topic from this moment forward, and cease and desist from saying "all" churches are ... lies ... God boot lickers ...

<smile>

Los Angeles, CA.

#224728 Apr 15, 2014
Aquarius-WY wrote:
<quoted text>
Well then, if what you wrote right up ^there is true and correct, it now falls upon you to modify your approach to this topic from this moment forward, and cease and desist from saying "all" churches are ... lies ... God boot lickers ...
<smile>
I never said 'all churches are this way', because that isn't true. If you want to argue with me, try to be intelligent.:)

Location hidden

#224729 Apr 15, 2014
JaclynNoel wrote:
<quoted text>
Actually, it says several times in the bible to attend church regularly. The scientists I'm talking about aren't seeking recognition, in fact, most of them never get 'recognized' at all. Most of them aren't angry at god because they don't believe in god. Misrepresenting? They aren't representing anything or anyone other than the pursuit of knowledge. Sorry if I seem rude, I'm having an interesting day.
Do they predetermine and pick and choose which subject matter they will pursue before they set in motion the scientific principles and method?
What leads these under-recognized and under-paid (assumed) scientists to employ the scientific method in the first place?
What happens to the belief structure of these scientists you mention when their experiments disprove one of their previously held negative assumptions?
Is it dangerous for a scientist, any scientist, and their reputations, to assume an impossibility before engaging the scientific method, and therefore fail to engage it at all in the pursuit of this "knowledge"?

What makes you think that science and spirit are to be and remain at odds with one another JaclynNoel?

Los Angeles, CA.

#224730 Apr 15, 2014
Aquarius-WY wrote:
<quoted text>
Do they predetermine and pick and choose which subject matter they will pursue before they set in motion the scientific principles and method?
What leads these under-recognized and under-paid (assumed) scientists to employ the scientific method in the first place?
What happens to the belief structure of these scientists you mention when their experiments disprove one of their previously held negative assumptions?
Is it dangerous for a scientist, any scientist, and their reputations, to assume an impossibility before engaging the scientific method, and therefore fail to engage it at all in the pursuit of this "knowledge"?
What makes you think that science and spirit are to be and remain at odds with one another JaclynNoel?
Yes, they do choose what to research. They might, you know, actually want to advance their knowledge, crazy right? I'll tell you what happens if their results contradict, they figure out why.
No, it isn't dangerous, because one, if it were actually impossible, they wouldn't be able to experiment with it, and two, that's kind of what they do, sometimes you win, sometimes you fail.
I think this because religion is opposed to any kind of scientific advancement. Honestly, I would be happy if everyone could get along, but this is real life, people don't get along sometimes.

“Credulity is not a virtue”

Since: Apr 09

San Francisco

#224731 Apr 15, 2014
KiMare wrote:
<quoted text>
You have no idea what you are talking about.
Last Saturday we had over twenty volunteer crews working on different projects for the needy. Sunday a Dr from Africa thanked us for providing $60,000 to build a hospital for handicapped children. We also sent a work crew to help.
Hopefully none of those handicapped children were gay, right KiMare? Well, I'm sure your "Dr from Africa" will be happy to toss those kids in jail or kill them later.

Perhaps you have a comperable example of 'rational atheist' oxymorons doing something similar in your community?

Religion is entirely superfluous to charity-work. In fact, non-religious charity-work isn't motivated by proselytizing or "preying" on the weak.

Since: May 10

Location hidden

#224732 Apr 15, 2014
JaclynNoel wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes, they do choose what to research. They might, you know, actually want to advance their knowledge, crazy right? I'll tell you what happens if their results contradict, they figure out why.
No, it isn't dangerous, because one, if it were actually impossible, they wouldn't be able to experiment with it, and two, that's kind of what they do, sometimes you win, sometimes you fail.
I think this because religion is opposed to any kind of scientific advancement. Honestly, I would be happy if everyone could get along, but this is real life, people don't get along sometimes.

San Francisco

#224733 Apr 15, 2014
Aquarius-WY wrote:
<quoted text>

How does religion handle it when their millenia-old texts turn out to be wrong on issues such as slavery, racism, misogyny, and homophobia?

Since: May 10

Location hidden

#224734 Apr 15, 2014
wilderide wrote:
<quoted text>
Hopefully none of those handicapped children were gay, right KiMare? Well, I'm sure your "Dr from Africa" will be happy to toss those kids in jail or kill them later.
<quoted text>
Religion is entirely superfluous to charity-work. In fact, non-religious charity-work isn't motivated by proselytizing or "preying" on the weak.
Crediting religion with all its misdeeds, and none of its good deeds....

That's the epitome of bigotry.

Los Angeles, CA.

#224735 Apr 15, 2014
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =lmYubi5v9-QXX
That might have been a speck of an argument if almost everyone in it weren't idiots.

Los Angeles, CA.

#224736 Apr 15, 2014
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
No, religion kind of did that already, you know, without the bad parts and all the nice fluffy parts.

San Francisco

#224737 Apr 15, 2014
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
Promoting credulity is not a good deed.
Anon

Lakewood, OH

#224738 Apr 15, 2014
Aquarius-WY wrote:
<quoted text>
In charge of what and where?
It was initially your question, moron...

San Francisco

#224739 Apr 15, 2014
Anon wrote:
<quoted text>
Well, to be fair, didn't the various tribes of native people have their own territories and governments?

Location hidden

#224740 Apr 15, 2014
JaclynNoel wrote:
<quoted text>
" if it were actually impossible, they wouldn't be able to experiment with it, "

Horseshit !!!
You confuse trying to prove a negative with getting a negative outcome for a workable hypothesis.

"I think this because religion is opposed to any kind of scientific advancement."

Horseshit again !!!
You stereotype at will and at each and every turn ... the very thing which anti-religion scientists do.
BOTH short circuit the method for their own pre-concluded beliefs.

Now JaclynNoel, tell me what is the justification for ANY real and true "scientist" to avoid engaging the scientific method when it comes to matters of the spirit world?

Location hidden

#224741 Apr 15, 2014
Anon wrote:
<quoted text>
Incorrect.
You think otherwise? Cool. Repost my post which supports your claim.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

NCAA Basketball Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 4 min Nuculur option 1,115,021
Thousands Protest Roe V. Wade Decision (Jan '08) 38 min STO 305,843
What role do you think humans play in global wa... 1 hr tarmo 1,100
UCLA FOOTBALL NOTEBOOK: Neuheisel says Prince w... (Sep '10) 3 hr Bruin For Life 27,577
Should child beauty pageants be banned? 4 hr PieceMaker 339
Conn's Appliances (Nov '07) 7 hr Carol 280
Judge overturns California's ban on same-sex ma... (Aug '10) Mon El SupremoS 201,038

NCAA Basketball People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE