Atheism requires as much faith as rel...

Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

There are 258047 comments on the Webbunny tumblelog story from Jul 18, 2009, titled Atheism requires as much faith as religion?. In it, Webbunny tumblelog reports that:

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Webbunny tumblelog.

“Credulity is not a virtue”

Since: Apr 09

San Francisco

#225043 Apr 16, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Sure, why not? The only thing the Bible prohibits is me trying to judge your eternity.
No, Luke says not to judge others, because you will be judged by God with the same criteria you judge others. "For with the measure you use, it will be measured to you."
ROCCO

Indio, CA

#225044 Apr 16, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Sure, why not? The only thing the Bible prohibits is me trying to judge your eternity.
Yo! Doubting Thomas here!

Seems like a remarkably long compilation of break and lunchtime minutes going on there today, oh contrite one.

Say it isn't so, truthfully.

“I see quantum effects”

Since: Jan 11

In the macro world.

#225045 Apr 16, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>Then why cling to atheism? It holds no answers, has no practical knowledge, does not seek truth, does not teach you to be open-minded. The only thing atheism might teach you (laughs) is that the Christian God doesn't exist.
I don't cling to atheism, you moron.

It's just the way it is. Can you start believing in Santa Claus again?

Same thing here. I'd need a major head injury to start believing in fairy tales again.

“I see quantum effects”

Since: Jan 11

In the macro world.

#225046 Apr 16, 2014
Eagle 12 wrote:
<quoted text>How do you account for all the Scientific achievements by Christian, Jews and people of faith which includes the man who fathered the Scientific Method?
They had doubts. That's why they sought truth.

They were able to be at least somewhat honest with themselves. And, like me, they weren't satisfied with the answers religion provided.

“What are you looking at?”

Since: Jan 08

Albuquerque, NM

#225047 Apr 16, 2014
waaasssuuup wrote:
<quoted text>
would you gaytheists PLEASE stop promoting pot?! it's making me not like it as much....
Maybe this will help rekindle what you've lost.

Eagle 12

Edwardsville, IL

#225048 Apr 16, 2014
wilderide wrote:
<quoted text>
So then if we are not to judge by a double-standard we should only count those people and organizations which actively proselytize their religious beliefs in the process of doing their work, right?
Proselytize?

Since when has a Christian Hospital or Research facility proselytized?

Have you ever been to one of these facilities Emergency Rooms? The focus is on medicine and saving people’s life.

And how does feeding and sheltering the homeless become proselytizing?

Christians buying school supplies for kids in foreign countries and even in our own country is proselytizing?

Christians buying shoes for kids proselytizing?

Have you ever been to a Christian funded food bank?
There’s no proselytizing. People in need come and pick up what they need free of charge and leave. No brochures, preaching, just good food for families in need.
Eagle 12

Edwardsville, IL

#225049 Apr 16, 2014
wilderide wrote:
<quoted text>
Reason and critical thinking. You don't think people can be reasoned out of religious belief? Many atheists and agnostics were once religious.
Reasoned out of religious belief?

Like what is happening in North Korea?

or

Reasoned out of Christianity by one’s free will in a free society?

The latter is certainly possible. And the opposite is also true. But the total elimination of all Christianity by this method is impossible.
Eagle 12

Edwardsville, IL

#225050 Apr 16, 2014
Aerobatty wrote:
<quoted text>
They had doubts. That's why they sought truth.
They were able to be at least somewhat honest with themselves. And, like me, they weren't satisfied with the answers religion provided.
They had doubts?

Who had doubts?
Eagle 12

Edwardsville, IL

#225051 Apr 16, 2014
wilderide wrote:
<quoted text>
No, Luke says not to judge others, because you will be judged by God with the same criteria you judge others. "For with the measure you use, it will be measured to you."
Honestly, you don't believe that do you?

San Francisco

#225052 Apr 16, 2014
Eagle 12 wrote:
<quoted text>
Proselytize?
Since when has a Christian Hospital or Research facility proselytized?
Please explain then how your apparent double-standard of judgement of non-religious organizations vs Christian ones work then. You won't count non-religious people and organizations because they don't actively criticize religion, but you do count religious people and organizations whether they actively proselytize or not.
Eagle 12

Edwardsville, IL

#225053 Apr 16, 2014
Divinity Surgeon wrote:
<quoted text>
More like a passing away I'd say.
Similar to the religions of old.
The people who have been terrorised by christianity are standing up, finally and the young ones are much too evolved to accept it for long if at all.
They meme zombies and vampires all over the place, that's how your religion looks to them, like fictional horror.
Many care a lot more about repairing this broken world than about religions and their endless wars.
There are no redeeming qualities in the Abrahamic religions.
Terrorized by Christianity?

So giving shelter and feeding the homeless is terrorism?

Building and operating hospitals is terrorism?

Drilling fresh water wells for locals in poor countries is terrorism?

Funding medical research is terrorism?

Disaster aid is terrorism?

Funding schools and orphanages is terrorism?

Atheist,“care a lot more about repairing this broken world than about religions and their endless wars.”

And just how many hospitals, schools, orphanages, hungry children, drug & alcohol addicts have these caring Atheist helped???

“There are no redeeming qualities,” in Religion?

It seems pretty obvious there’s no redeeming qualities of Atheism because Atheism is not about helping a broken and needy world.

Eagle 12

Edwardsville, IL

#225054 Apr 16, 2014
Divinity Surgeon wrote:
<quoted text>
More like a passing away I'd say.
Similar to the religions of old.
The people who have been terrorised by christianity are standing up, finally and the young ones are much too evolved to accept it for long if at all.
They meme zombies and vampires all over the place, that's how your religion looks to them, like fictional horror.
Many care a lot more about repairing this broken world than about religions and their endless wars.
There are no redeeming qualities in the Abrahamic religions.
Feeding a hungry child is terrorism?

“let's do this thang!”

Since: Aug 10

Location hidden

#225055 Apr 16, 2014
ROCCO wrote:
waaasssuuup wrote:
<quoted text>
does this mean that you would support sending my types to concentration camps for inihilation if a leader emerged and began to do so? rhetorical quesion;-)
ROCCO wrote:
<quoted text>
Ever think about volunteering for a good cause?
<quoted text>
I recognize your comprehension skills are compromised, but if you look above, you might get what I was implying when I asked you about volunteering for a good cause.
Obviously, subtlety is not your strong suit..........
receiving smarmy accusations from bullies without putting them in their place is not my strong suit so you didn't like my straight forward response - go figure!;-)

San Francisco

#225056 Apr 16, 2014
Eagle 12 wrote:
<quoted text>
Reasoned out of religious belief?
Like what is happening in North Korea?
or
Reasoned out of Christianity by one’s free will in a free society?
The latter is certainly possible. And the opposite is also true. But the total elimination of all Christianity by this method is impossible.
I'm sure worshipers of Zeus once thought that there would always be people who did that too. Religions die all the time. History is littered with them. Christianity itself has lots of dead sects.

The information age has greatly sped up the availability and dissemination of knowledge, and as people compare religions and learn more about the history of religion the more clearly they see that they are all irrational and false. I see it as perfectly possible and indeed even likely that modern religions will be seen in the same light as we now view so many other past superstitions. The Bible will be seen as increasingly metaphorical. We are seeing that today, as fundamentalism is more and more marginalized.

San Francisco

#225057 Apr 16, 2014
Eagle 12 wrote:
<quoted text>
Honestly, you don't believe that do you?
Are you saying that yet another part of the Bible doesn't mean what it says?

“let's do this thang!”

Since: Aug 10

Location hidden

#225058 Apr 16, 2014
wilderide wrote:
<quoted text>
We also know about what the Bible says about slavery, and misogyny, and racism, and infanticide, and ham and cheese sandwiches.
And we also know that you are probably the last self-described Christian on Earth to lecture anyone on Biblically-acceptable behavior, my inebriated pot-smoking unapologetic adulterer judgmental friend.
i'm am fully confident to let God judge between me and thee!:-)
Eagle 12

Edwardsville, IL

#225059 Apr 16, 2014
Clearwater wrote:
<quoted text>No doubt in my mind some would love to live in a nation where people of faith were forced underground or outright killed.
It’s happening right now in some countries.
Eagle 12

Edwardsville, IL

#225060 Apr 16, 2014
karl44 wrote:
<quoted text>
funny
I like it
can I quote it?
You sure can.[tipping hat]

“Quantum Junctn: Use Both Lanes”

Since: Dec 06

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#225061 Apr 16, 2014
wilderide wrote:
<quoted text>
Because it makes complete sense that the creator of the entire universe would be obsessed with the sexual behavior of one species of mammal on our particular planet.
O_o
Indeed... it takes a really giant ego to presume that, doesn't it?

“Quantum Junctn: Use Both Lanes”

Since: Dec 06

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#225062 Apr 16, 2014
O G Kush wrote:
<quoted text>
You might want to reevaluate that statement...
Jesus does not like liars and I'm sure you wouldn't want to offend.
The earliest documented institutions aiming to provide cures were ancient Egyptian temples. In ancient Greece, temples dedicated to the healer-god Asclepius, known as Asclepieia.
Institutions created specifically to care for the ill also appeared early in India. Fa Xian, a Chinese Buddhist monk who travelled across India ca. 400 CE, recorded in his travelogue that
"The heads of the Vaisya [merchant] families in them [all the kingdoms of north India] establish in the cities houses for dispensing charity and medicine. All the poor and destitute in the country, orphans, widowers, and childless men, maimed people and cripples, and all who are diseased, go to those houses, and are provided with every kind of help, and doctors examine their diseases. They get the food and medicines which their cases require, and are made to feel at ease; and when they are better, they go away of themselves."
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_hos...
There you go.

Genuine Christianity™ has exactly nothing new to contribute.

What a surprise.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

NCAA Basketball Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News UCLA FOOTBALL NOTEBOOK: Neuheisel says Prince w... (Sep '10) 8 min Bruin For Life 32,618
News Thousands Protest Roe V. Wade Decision (Jan '08) 1 hr ThomasA 312,873
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 2 hr Susanm 1,460,333
News Western Michigan heads to Illinois as a favorite Dec 7 Go Blue Forever 59
legitimate loan lender (Oct '13) Dec 5 Yin 17
What role do you think humans play in global wa... (Sep '14) Nov 28 Local Warming 10,371
Should child beauty pageants be banned? (Sep '14) Nov 22 Heatherfeather 780
More from around the web