Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent. Full Story

Since: May 12

Las Vegas, NV

#224255 Apr 13, 2014
Aura Mytha wrote:
<quoted text>
Your head is only a organism away from the truth.
Don't lose your head in finding out the truth.
..speak English ..
IPSEC

Bedford, TX

#224256 Apr 13, 2014
number four wrote:
<quoted text>..you heathens are so unhinged , you can't see reality ....parochial schools , offer some of the very best of educations ...
You call those that disagree with you heathens, as though they are somehow inferior to you. This proves that Christianity is nothing more than self-worship, an army of one, with a god created in your own image that, uncuriously, shares all your likes and dislikes like the back of a Playboy centerfold. It really s nothing more than mild mental illness that sometimes manifests as severe.

Why would you consider your life as just some kind of warm up act for a demonstrably false afterlife? How sad is that? Why do you think those who disagree with your specific theology are worthy of eternal torture, or as certain sects have evolved, of annihilation? You are displaying nothing more than your ego and id. You certainly have offered nothing of substance or even simple moral guidance. Fear of divine retribution from an ever-changing code of laws composed by fiat by an imaginary entity and interpreted by thieves and charlatans is just remarkably silly.
IPSEC

Bedford, TX

#224257 Apr 13, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
That's very true. I've posted links several times offering evidence that Christian schools produce far more intelligent graduates than secular, state funded schools.
They choose to ignore that, they always do.
Such a generalization is guaranteed to be patently false. There are high-performing and under-performing schools in both scenarios. Intelligence is not produced. Knowledge is produced. Intelligence exists in everyone without specific developmental disabilities. You can't even articulate your point correctly.

Shall we discuss hyphenated modifiers and independent clauses as related to your post above, or, is your "intelligence production line" on permanent hiatus?

Las Vegas, NV

#224258 Apr 13, 2014
Aerobatty wrote:
<quoted text>
Yeah. And they waste a lot of time and talent on mythology.
I met a young lady who earned her degree in early childhood education who was shocked when I mentioned that Sarah Palin believed the earth was 6000 years old.
And she wasn't shocked that Palin believed that. She was shocked to learn that the earth was over 4 billion years old.
..I'm not embarrassed ..In fact the Churches official position is that we are free to believe in the 6 day creation myth or not ..

It does not affect your intelligence quotient , nor job performance ( so long as that job isn't anthropology )
IPSEC

Bedford, TX

#224259 Apr 13, 2014
number four wrote:
<quoted text>...What I found truly horrifying , is how often ' Jesus'..'Jesus Christ'..'Goddamn'..names explicitly forbidden , fall from Atheists lips ...
I don't subscribe to Norse mythology ....never , have I uttered " Odins balls " when under duress ...
It's funny that you should fixate on testicles. You must be a. Christian. G*ddamn is actually a generic term and would apply to Odin and his hodensack.

It's cultural, you nitwit. Language, like life, is evolutionary. This culture is steeped in your mythology. You really can't be this dumb. You're just playing the thread, right?
IPSEC

Bedford, TX

#224260 Apr 13, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Even though scientists can't find the "switched-off" genes that control dinosaur-like traits?
Huh...
If ignorance is bliss, you'd be much happier.
IPSEC

Bedford, TX

#224261 Apr 13, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Even though Christianity opened America's most prestigious and sought-after universities?
Hmmm.....
Because they had the money. Notice those universities are what you would consider bastions of liberalism and aren't Bible-study mills.

Las Vegas, NV

#224262 Apr 13, 2014
Bob of Quantum-Faith wrote:
<quoted text>
I type very fast-- it took me, what? 10 minutes to rebut the HateTheist.
His hate is worthy of rebuttal.
You?
You are simply ignorant.
...Well...?.....YOU'RE LUCKY I DON'T KNOW WHAT " IGNORANT " MEANS .....!!
IPSEC

Bedford, TX

#224263 Apr 13, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
HahahahahahahahaaaaAAAA!!!!!
"Headaches come from sin"
You, m'lady, are a fuckinglunatic.
Uh, that is a belief in many sexts and schisms of your hate cult, knucklehead. That you don't notice her sarcasm is your ignorance abounding.

http://www.demonbuster.com/spiritu4.html

http://www.writtentreasures.org/html/headache...

http://www.bloodlines.co.za/Articles-Spiritua...

http://www.thoughts-about-god.com/meditating/...

http://www.masterandmargarita.eu/archieven/si...
IPSEC

Bedford, TX

#224264 Apr 13, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Uh-huh....
So we can believe whatever we want to believe so long as we follow your instructions about where we can't impose our beliefs.
Hypocrite
You do realize that those laws that percent ecumenical teaching in the public sphere protect you as well, right?

Unless, of course, you want your children bowing to Mecca every day in school.

Idiot.
IPSEC

Bedford, TX

#224265 Apr 13, 2014
number four wrote:
<quoted text>....look , I'm just sayin' it doesn't hurt to shop around ...
and , as for prostitutes .....so , long as they aren't from Thailand ; you're golden ..
( Thailand is a strange and exotic local , the girls there tend to have penises ...)
You just got hard, didn't you?

Las Vegas, NV

#224266 Apr 13, 2014
IPSEC wrote:
<quoted text>It's funny that you should fixate on testicles. You must be a. Christian. G*ddamn is actually a generic term and would apply to Odin and his hodensack.
It's cultural, you nitwit. Language, like life, is evolutionary. This culture is steeped in your mythology. You really can't be this dumb. You're just playing the thread, right?
...do , you really think I'm smart ..??....thank-you.."IPSEC " that's the nicest thing anyone has ever wrote about me ...

I found nothing wrong with this post .....but , I'm sticking to my guns , Is there an Atheist alive that would choose the words "doggone" "heaven" "bejesus" "darn" .....I say no .
IPSEC

Bedford, TX

#224267 Apr 13, 2014
number four wrote:
<quoted text>...There have been ideologies , that have persecuted Christians , these countries are so repugnant that they had to build walls to keep their populations from escaping ...
It's seem you and your ilk ...would destroy our future..
The number one source of Christian persecution was from other Christians. The Puritans escaped England because they were not allowed to impose their brand on other Christians. They came to the New World and continued their persecution. All the sects outside of the Quakers, Amish and Mennonites did. Christian on Christian crime and murder was rampant in the Colonies outside of Smith's Rhode Island and Penn's Pennsylvania.

The Danbury Baptists were actually the impetus for the First Amendment, a law which actually allowed Christianity to flourish in this country. No one wants to be told how or what to worship, as god belief is nothing more than an extension of the ego. If there were an official state religion in America, Christianity would have died off as it has in Europe. If an official religion were imposed here now, the resultant religious war would be the bloodiest conflict in history. After all, which of the 40,000 sects and schisms of Christianity would be imposed?

Las Vegas, NV

#224268 Apr 13, 2014
IPSEC wrote:
<quoted text>You just got hard, didn't you?
...whoa...I'm sure you're a nice guy ....but , one of has the wrong kind of plumbing ....Is it okay if we just remain friends ..?
IPSEC

Bedford, TX

#224269 Apr 13, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
You know, we know. You've created your own deity that fits your own personal ideals.
That's insane. You're insane.
So have you.

Las Vegas, NV

#224270 Apr 13, 2014
IPSEC wrote:
<quoted text>Yes, some parochial schools offer very good educations, but that is not an across-the-board phenomenon. Parental involvement and a good curriculum are the two common factors that determine the quality of education in any school. Unfortunately, the lion's share of parochial schools fail in science education.
...fair enough ...

But , the point I wished to make " believers aren't anti-education , we actually excel at it . "

“ The Lord of delirious minds.”

Since: Dec 10

Location hidden

#224271 Apr 13, 2014
IPSEC wrote:
<quoted text>You're confused. That was the first Gulf War, not the second.
Besides, it's not really a conspiracy theory when the facts bear out the complicity of the United States in the events that led up to the war. It was certainly a war of convenience with full support of the military industrial complex in order to consolidate power and weaken a strong man of our own invention. It's all about the oil leases.
Hussein was wrong to invade Kuwait, no doubt, and it was a foolish move as the conflict was welcomed and precipitated by the United States, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia, and Israel. The history has been opened to the sunlight and it's not pretty.
There is no scenario that the second gulf war takes place without the first gulf war.
So yes lots of reasons for the second gulf war, but never would there have been those reasons without the first , get that much through your head. End of story.

“ The Lord of delirious minds.”

Since: Dec 10

Location hidden

#224272 Apr 13, 2014
number four wrote:
<quoted text>....look , I'm just sayin' it doesn't hurt to shop around ...
and , as for prostitutes .....so , long as they aren't from Thailand ; you're golden ..
( Thailand is a strange and exotic local , the girls there tend to have penises ...)
IPSEC wrote:
<quoted text>You just got hard, didn't you?
Somebody needs to explain to number four that girls don't tend to have penises
no matter where their from.
IPSEC

Bedford, TX

#224273 Apr 13, 2014
number four wrote:
<quoted text>...If you agree with "BenAdam" that something can be' evil '.
You obviously believe that morality is objective , rather than subjective ..ie...that it comes from God .
....not really surprising , since according to "ChristineM" , you are still a Christian..
See, this is where Christians are really confused. See the Euthyphro Dilemma. The morality in the Bible, and the interpretation of that morality, has changed quite often over time. Morality by fiat, by Divine Dear Leader, is wholly subjective.

Divine Command theory claims that morality is meaningless unless it is derived from God yet fails to answer who made God moral and whether his moral commands could be considered objective rather than arbitrary. Put in the context of Divine Command Theory, the Euthyphro Dilemma results in two unpalatable conclusion. God is not the greatest, as he must call upon a standard of good greater than himself or God's commands are arbitrary, grounded on his whims, and thus could be commands that we ourselves find morally abhorrent. The Bible is a veritable primer on slavery, and no amount of apologetics can obviate that fact. Our secular society has the moral high ground in that we have made slavery of any type illegal.

The first conclusion results in the view that God cannot change what is right and wrong. Killing and stealing are inherently bad, so God, being inherently good, cannot command them. Yet if right and wrong are inherent to the action, regardless of God's decree, then God has nothing to do with the process. God doesn't set moral standards; he follows them, and is therefore only indirectly related to moral commands.
The second conclusion shows that God is free to decide what is good, and it is good by virtue of his decree. If this is the case, then God has no higher standard to answer to, and therefore his will may be seen as genuinely arbitrary. Although God once decreed that murder and theft are morally wrong, he might have declared the opposite just as easily, so then murder and theft would be right.

You haven't thought this through. You need to, but, please don't if you fear losing your faith.
IPSEC

Bedford, TX

#224274 Apr 13, 2014
number four wrote:
<quoted text>..why is this evil ...?
This is crux of why we give God a masculine pronoun ...He has a Fathers love , i.e. He lets us take risks knowing we could fall and skin our knees , or get thrown from the horse ...
only when you are in over your head , do Fathers rush to their child's aid ...
Divine Dear Leader has a masculine pronoun because men wrote the Bible.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

NCAA Basketball Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 6 min Nostrilis Waxman 1,156,224
UCLA FOOTBALL NOTEBOOK: Neuheisel says Prince w... (Sep '10) 7 hr Trojan 28,494
Thousands Protest Roe V. Wade Decision (Jan '08) 9 hr feces for jesus 307,110
How to Recover Deleted or lost Contacts from Sa... 11 hr yinefsfgd 3
What role do you think humans play in global wa... Sat Earthling-1 2,741
Should child beauty pageants be banned? Fri zubedaanur 693
UConn vs. Duke Monday night 9pm ESPN2 Dec 25 ivyawe 1
More from around the web