Atheism requires as much faith as rel...

Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

There are 258484 comments on the Webbunny tumblelog story from Jul 18, 2009, titled Atheism requires as much faith as religion?. In it, Webbunny tumblelog reports that:

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Webbunny tumblelog.

“I see quantum effects”

Since: Jan 11

Location hidden

#223275 Apr 6, 2014
O G Kush wrote:
<quoted text>I don't think atheists believe anything.
They accept the obvious.
Heaven/Paradise, no the matter how you consider it is preposterous.

No matter what your concept of heaven is your next-door neighbors will be entirely different.

It's safe to say most martyrs are in some type of paradise or at least we imagine them to be.

Now the problem arises because conflicting faiths share conflicting paradises.

Which ultimate amusement park is the best?

We are not immortal and no amount of chanting, subservient worship or special pleading will change that.

Organized superstition also known as 'religion' attempts to convince people it has an answer for everything, where in fact, it has answers to nothing.

Religion has never advanced mankind... Knowledge has.
Religion promises to pay on Tuesday for a hamburger today.

“I see quantum effects”

Since: Jan 11

Location hidden

#223276 Apr 6, 2014
Eagle 12 wrote:
<quoted text>I disagree with you.

Belief in a higher power,(God) has helped millions break free of all sorts of addictions including my own brother who was a hopeless alcoholic and drug addict.

I’m not aware of anyone ever claiming Atheism helped them break free of addictions, build schools for the poor, help the homeless world over, feed the hungry by the millions, build hospitals, fund medical research. All of these are just a few.

What has Atheism done for the better of mankind? One little group of about 10 Atheist in Dallas Texas passed out sandwiches one day to some people living on the street. They are hardly a Salvation Army type organization.

“Organized Superstition,” as you call it has helped put orphans in good homes and orphanages around the world. I don’t see much happening with the Atheist Charities. Now a lot of Atheist try to draft this billionaire or that billionaire as being a benevolent Atheist.

The fact remains that Atheism as an organized group has done little to nothing. Yet you make this statement,“Religion has never advanced mankind…” Tell that to all the stomachs we have fed and all the families we have helped over the last 200 years.

The Atheist creed continues to be and will always be, "Me, Myself and I."
You have atheism confused with right wing, republican, Christian conservatism.

“The Bible is no science book”

Since: Jan 08

Location hidden

#223277 Apr 6, 2014
Eagle 12 wrote:
<quoted text>
The term Evolution, meaning change over time has such a broad and wide application.
But when it comes to Evolution of mankind certainly knowledge has been a evolutionary process. But the evolution of mankind?
But I dont buy into that there wasnt never a first man and first woman. All numbers ever generated are synonymous with the number one.
You seen evolution of mankind has been and continues to be taught by artist conception and speculation. When you really weed out all of the could haves, might have, possibly, maybe, we think, you have nothing but someones idea of what happened.
Some animals look the same after 500 million years. A spider and cockroach alive 300 million years ago look just like the ones today.
You see, religions of mankind has been and continues to be taught by artist conception and speculation. When you really weed out all the "could haves, might have, possibly, maybe, we think" you have nothing but someones idea of what happened.

The garden of eden? artists rendition is just speculation, Noahs ark? Same. Heaven? More imagining and speculation there in glowing artists pictures than anywhere. Since it is all a guess work kingdom. Nobody has been there and brought back pictures of how it really is have they? Does heaven exist anywhere but between your ears? In your head? In your imagination?

Those bug may look similar, but guaranteed, they are different.

“KiMare'a the Monster Mutation”

Since: Nov 10

Location hidden

#223278 Apr 6, 2014
Aerobatty wrote:
<quoted text>
So I can walk into a Christian church and practice Satanism?
And the constitution will protect me, right?
It'd be pretty unfair, because I can't find a Satanic church to walk into and practice my belief system.

Or an atheist one for that matter.

However, for some reason, there are Christian Churches are all over the place!

Smirk.

“LOL Really?”

Since: Oct 10

Location hidden

#223279 Apr 6, 2014
KiMare wrote:
<quoted text>
It'd be pretty unfair, because I can't find a Satanic church to walk into and practice my belief system.
Or an atheist one for that matter.
However, for some reason, there are Christian Churches are all over the place!
Smirk.
That's because of the tax exemption.

Quite the scam.

Smile

“KiMare'a the Monster Mutation”

Since: Nov 10

Location hidden

#223280 Apr 6, 2014
O G Kush wrote:
They accept the obvious.

No matter what your concept of heaven is your next-door neighbors will be entirely different.

It's safe to say most martyrs are in some type of paradise or at least we imagine them to be.

We are not immortal and no amount of chanting, subservient worship or special pleading will change that.

Organized superstition also known as 'religion' attempts to convince people it has an answer for everything, where in fact, it has answers to nothing.

KiMare'a writes,

Proverbs 8 indicated that WISDOM was foundational in creation.

Only now is science catching up to the knowledge embodied in just this one passage about creation. Beginning and a ending points for the universe. Moreover, it indicates the existence of other spheres of existence, something science speculates as true.

Psalm 102:22-26
In the beginning you laid the foundations of the earth, and the heavens are the work of your hands. They will perish, but you remain; they will all wear out like a garment. Like clothing you will change them and they will be discarded

“It's Time. . .”

Since: Jun 13

New Holland

#223284 Apr 6, 2014
BenAdam wrote:
<quoted text>
Those of us who are sane know that.
Since they justify their deity raping little girls then think it is OK for them too.
That's sick.

“It's Time. . .”

New Holland

#223285 Apr 6, 2014
wilderide wrote:
<quoted text>
I know. I don't know how some of these people think: that two people of the same gender somehow spontaneously create disease when they have sex.
Sounds like 80s hysteria! Safe sex should apply on both sides of the fence.

Since: May 10

Location hidden

#223286 Apr 6, 2014
davy wrote:
What law school did you drop out of? Sorry, did I say law school? I meant middle school.
<quoted text>
You are a mouse fart.

“It's Time. . .”

New Holland

#223287 Apr 6, 2014
IPSEC wrote:
<quoted text>Compare two schools of equal demographics in two different states, one that allows for condom distribution and sex education and one that "teaches abstinence". Adjust for abortion using the same demographics for those individual areas. The school that teaches proper sex education and distributes condoms will have a teen pregnancy rate a tenth of that in the "abstinence" school.
Texas "teaches abstinence". Texas had the highest rate of teen pregnancy and the highest rate of children having two babies in their teens, in the nation.
We share a goal of children not having babies. Why do you go against conventional wisdom and common sense and actively trumpet to thwart that goal?
We never teach abstinence here. And I went to a Xian school.

Location hidden

#223288 Apr 6, 2014
Aquarius-WY wrote:
<quoted text>
You are simply incorrect.
I have raised and conducted a chicken breeding program for decades. I can show you the progression of a controlled breeding program which has in fact bred out certain traits and bred in other certain traits.
Since that is true and has been demonstrated to be successful in changing the entire appearance so much so that an entirely new breed is named as a result, then reason dictates that over a much greater span of time than just a few decades, even greater "changes" are possible.
Now, can and does, a species morph into a completely different creature and species besides just "breed" characteristic differences within a single species, I can not say. I can only prove what I have witnessed as far as evolution is concerned within a single species ... and it is most certainly "empirical" evidence. Of that you can be sure.
Selective breeding is not evolution. It is intelligently orchestrated and results in no new species.

“It's Time. . .”

New Holland

#223289 Apr 6, 2014
lightbeamrider wrote:
<quoted text> The ancient Greeks normalized pedophilia as did the Romans. Prepubescent boys were passive sex toys for adult males, that is until they started to mature with body hair. Ganymede was raped by Zeus according to your wiki site. Excerpt below.
When painter-architect Baldassare Peruzzi included a panel of The Rape of Ganymede in a ceiling at the Villa Farnesina, Rome,(ca 1509-1514), Ganymede's long blond hair and girlish pose make him identifiable at first glance, though he grasps the eagle's wing without resistance. In Antonio Allegri Correggio's Ganymede Abducted by the Eagle (Vienna) Ganymede's grasp is more intimate. Rubens' version portrays a young man. But when Rembrandt painted the Rape of Ganymede for a Dutch Calvinist patron in 1635, a dark eagle carries aloft a plump cherubic baby (Paintings Gallery, Dresden) who is bawling and urinating in fright
The ancient Greeks were gross sexual barbarians.
Ganymede was never raped, that was the artists' interpretation of the legend. He simply never existed.
O G Kush

United States

#223290 Apr 6, 2014
KiMare wrote:
O G Kush wrote:
They accept the obvious.
KiMare'a writes,
Proverbs 8 indicated that WISDOM was foundational in creation.
Only now is science catching up to the knowledge embodied in just this one passage about creation. Beginning and a ending points for the universe. Moreover, it indicates the existence of other spheres of existence, something science speculates as true.
Psalm 102:22-26
In the beginning you laid the foundations of the earth, and the heavens are the work of your hands. They will perish, but you remain; they will all wear out like a garment. Like clothing you will change them and they will be discarded
You should take your devout christian passion to a library and seriously study the other competing world religions.

A entirely different view point will emerge and serious questions will present themselves.

These are the kind of questions that your clergy cannot answer

Ask yourself... can all be true? Can 50% be true... and how can any human being guarantee which one is true?

Does your 'holy book' contain something special that your competitors 'holy book' doesn't?

Are Mormons really the only true modern Christians because the most recent prophet was Joseph Smith?

Each is as preposterous as the other.

Religion is just not for me and I bear no ill will to those whom embrace it.

Have you forgiven the 911 martyrs?
As a true Christian you should.

There was a mosque in the twin towers so the martyrs in fact killed Muslims also, did they all go to paradise?

"Peace on earth ?
Not as long as religion exists."
~ Judith Hayes

“It's Time. . .”

New Holland

#223291 Apr 6, 2014
Divinity Surgeon wrote:
<quoted text>
Inanna was both fertile and a protector of children.
Apparently, she was quite frisky like a bunny as well.
She was quite a girl.
http://etcsl.orinst.ox.ac.uk/section1/tr141.h...

Location hidden

#223292 Apr 6, 2014
BenAdam wrote:
<quoted text>
As a result of the Civil War, States rights exist only so far as the Federal Government allows them to.
Establishment of a religion is no longer a State right. It has gone the way of slavery.
End of conversation.
The Civil War did not change the Constitution.

Establishment of religion was never a state right. There is no such right.

But the establishment clause protects the states' ability to deal with religious issues as they see fit. The First Amendment has not been repealed, unless you have news I'm not aware of.

The Federal Government is still subject to the U.S. Constitution, last time I checked. And that Constitution says they will "make no law" on this subject.

Location hidden

#223293 Apr 6, 2014
davy wrote:
What law school did you drop out of? Sorry, did I say law school? I meant middle school.
<quoted text>
Law schools do not teach the Constitution.

They teach tactics for getting around it.

I understand the Constitution better than most lawyers. and better than all judges.

“It's Time. . .”

New Holland

#223294 Apr 6, 2014
Aquarius-WY wrote:
<quoted text>
OK.
There was a fellow just a few days back who jumped onto the train tracks to save his girlfriend and did just that by pushing her out of the train's path. He's dead. The train ran over him.
Make your case.
What a touching story.

“It's Time. . .”

New Holland

#223295 Apr 6, 2014
macumazahn wrote:
<quoted text>Eagle, there are between 100 BILLION and 400 BILLION stars in our own Milky Way Galaxy.
And perhaps 500 BILLION galaxies in the Universe.
Looking up into the night sky can make you feel very, very small sometimes.

Since: Jun 12

Location hidden

#223296 Apr 6, 2014
Rosa_Winkel wrote:
<quoted text>
Ganymede was never raped, that was the artists' interpretation of the legend. He simply never existed.
You can't rewrite legend to your liking. The artist interpretation was a hell of a lot closer to the event than your cleansed assumption.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ganymede_%28myth...

Plato...Ganymede, he points out, was the only one of Zeus's lovers who was granted immortality.[10]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pederasty

The 2nd-century preacher Clement of Alexandria used divine pederasty as an indictment of Greek religion and the mythological figures of Herakles, Apollo, Poseidon, Laius, and Zeus: "For your gods did not abstain even from boys. One loved Hylas, another Hyacinthus, another Pelops, another Chrysippus, another Ganymedes.

http://www.theoi.com/Ouranios/Ganymedes.html

bycus, Fragment 289 (from Scholiast on Apollonius of Rhodes)(trans. Campbell, Vol. Greek Lyric III)(Greek lyric C6th B.C.):
"In these lines Apollonios takes over what Ibycus said in his account of the rape of
Ganymede [that he was carried off by a love-smitten Zeus] in his song to Gorgias."

----------

Pederasty, pedophilia and sexual slavery was the norm in pre Christian cultures. Christianity ended a lot of it. In Rome, for example slaves could charge rape. In other words slaves could be raped by their owners with zero consequences.

''For slaves there was no protection under the law even against rape.[50]''

Take away the church and say hello to the sexual pathology and barbarism of ancient Rome and Greece.

Kidnapping and rape go hand in hand unless you are one of them sickos who assume young boys who are kidnapped and at the mercy of their kidnappers can give consent to anal penetration.

Since: Apr 09

Location hidden

#223297 Apr 6, 2014
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
Law schools do not teach the Constitution.
They teach tactics for getting around it.
I understand the Constitution better than most lawyers. and better than all judges.
LOL...wow

You're so freakin' delusional...its awesome.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

NCAA Basketball Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 1 min Realism 1,579,134
News Thousands Protest Roe V. Wade Decision (Jan '08) 25 min susan9828 316,234
News UCLA FOOTBALL NOTEBOOK: Neuheisel says Prince w... (Sep '10) 1 hr Some phartt 33,639
What role do you think humans play in global wa... (Sep '14) Mon Into The Night 11,335
News Judge overturns California's ban on same-sex ma... (Aug '10) Jul '17 New boy 201,878
News Johnny Brown Added To Coaching Staff (Oct '07) Jul '17 Brown Pharts 3
News Tragedy strikes family members of Leasure (Jul '08) Jun '17 Evidence phart 9
More from around the web