Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

There are 20 comments on the Jul 18, 2009, Webbunny tumblelog story titled Atheism requires as much faith as religion?. In it, Webbunny tumblelog reports that:

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Webbunny tumblelog.

“I see quantum effects”

Since: Jan 11

In the macro world.

#221467 Mar 26, 2014
Phantom2010 wrote:
<quoted text>Nature is why many spontaneously believe in God.

To see nature the universe and people and spontaneously believe it all happened on it's own, is to be indoctrinated by others and is a made up irrational mental concept.
Not understanding, or caring to try to understand, nature can lead to spontaneously believe in god.

Not being satisfied with simplistic answers leads to true understanding of nature.

“I see quantum effects”

In the macro world.

#221469 Mar 26, 2014
waaasssuuup wrote:
<quoted text>yes i was being serious. understanding our true identity is much less noble & profound than high school kids developing alliances around fornication preferences tho i'm sure;-)
You see, YOU'RE the reason such a group is needed.

“I see quantum effects”

In the macro world.

#221470 Mar 26, 2014
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>I can't help but think of how your tone would change if I had your shirt collar in my grip.
When you have no argument, resort to violence.

“The Bible is no science book”

Since: Jan 08

Location hidden

#221471 Mar 26, 2014
Happy Lesbo wrote:
This will be my last post on Topix.
In the past three years, I have shared part of self in numerous ways -- hopefully with introspection, insight and humor. I've enjoyed my debates with Buck, HFY, AIN and many others.
Goodbye all.
Going to miss you very much. Drop in once in a while and say hello?

“The Bible is no science book”

Since: Jan 08

Location hidden

#221472 Mar 26, 2014
IPSEC wrote:
<quoted text>Yeah, just what I thought. No one jot, one tittle, one iota of an example where ID has led to scientific discovery or improved our lives. And, you already admitted it wasn't falsifiable. Fail.
That's because they don't do any scientific research. They take articles or papers on other true scientists and sit and think and write what they think is wrong with the ideas and principles in the work. That is all they do. Rewrite with a religious slant, all honest scientists body of work. They do NO work. Just tear down. And then say they are scientific.

Scientific my foot. You cant make a discovery when you do no work.

So I agree, a complete FAIL

“KiMare'a the Monster Mutation”

Since: Nov 10

Location hidden

#221473 Mar 26, 2014
IPSEC wrote:
<quoted text>read your profile. No intelligence. You fail.. Again.
Get a job, defrocked preacher. Stop being a taker.
Got caught in the depths of stupidity again, didn't you?

Now you resort to ugly troll behavior.

Now that's classic 'rational atheist' oxymoron behavior!

“The true real is unseen”

Since: May 10

Location hidden

#221475 Mar 26, 2014
Bob of Quantum-Faith wrote:
<quoted text>
You got ANYTHING else?
No?
We thought as much-- "personal testimonies" is the ONLY thing you got.
You better pray for some more GOD-GOO.
So your three posts can be summed up this way.

You don't believe in anything. You may believe in some science. But a wise Creator and God, you would rather gouge your eye out than believe God is real. I wonder why.(rhetorical question)

“The true real is unseen”

Since: May 10

Location hidden

#221476 Mar 26, 2014
wilderide wrote:
<quoted text>
You are missing the point. Most cultures invent deities to explain such things as you describe, and yet they each describe different gods and mythologies, the Hebrews (and later, Christians) included. If every culture spontaneously had the same deity, that might be an argument for a specific outside agency. But instead they all create deities which reflect their own values.
My conclusion: religion is just projection, and humans have a tendency to be irrational and believe in supernatural forces. It's part of our psychological make-up. All of us fall into magical thinking in one way or other.
And what is your explanation as to why your spontaneous beliefs are irrational and magical?

“I started out with nothing”

and still got most of it left

#221477 Mar 26, 2014
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
Many atheists think Christ existed.
Stalin was an atheist, he murdered and tortured for atheism, and he sought to produce an atheist Russia.
No honest person denies this.
Yes and many atheists believe christ was an anarchist, murderer and terrorist who was crucified for his crimes against the state, in fact there is more evidence for this stance than that he was the son of a god and a teacher of which there is no evidence.

Stalin murdering, yes this is true, exactly what he did and there is evidence to confirm it, but for atheism? I think not, more for nationalism and no honest person denies this

Stalin – opened 25000 churches
Stalin on Russian Channel 1 - Christ existed in the past
Journalist- It is interesting that from all the Kremlin residents, maybe, just Stalin believed in god
Stalins Daughter – When I said to my father “But Christ didn’t exist” Stalin replied “Oh No, Christ surely existed”

No honest person denies this because it is documented.

“I started out with nothing”

and still got most of it left

#221478 Mar 26, 2014
Aerobatty wrote:
<quoted text>
When you have no argument, resort to violence.
That’s our buck

Since: Jul 09

Location hidden

#221480 Mar 26, 2014
Phantom2010 wrote:
<quoted text> That makes no sense.
Sharing the personal experiences of a trip to Ireland to a person is by no means trying to convince the person to make the trip to Ireland.
you did not think that through

Since: Jul 09

Location hidden

#221481 Mar 26, 2014
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
There is no number line.
You show it to me, and I'll show you why it isn't infinite.
there is a school near you

get some
Thinking

Stockbridge, UK

#221482 Mar 26, 2014
You should have specified "get some education", you know how Puck Frick fantasises.
karl44 wrote:
<quoted text>
there is a school near you
get some

“ Knight Of Hyrule”

Since: Dec 10

Location hidden

#221483 Mar 26, 2014
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
A finite part prohibits the whole from being infinite. Each succession will be the next finite quantity, and so on, and always. Physical existence prohibits infinity.
Nothing that physically exists can be infinite. It is impossible.
The creator, as theorized, would be "atemporal", not infinite.
"The infinite is nowhere to be found in reality. It neither exists in nature nor provides a legitimate basis for rational thought. The role that remains for the infinite is solely that of an idea."
-David Hilbert, one of the greatest mathematicians in history
"Actual infinity does not exist. What we call infinite is only the endless possibility of creating new objects no matter how many exist already"
-French mathematician Henri Poincare
"Infinity is merely a figure of speech which helps us talk about limits"
-German mathematician Carl Friedrich Gauss
No matter how you spell it , you can call it "atemporal" if you like.
That just means all time cannot be counted, and something can be infinite.
Shifting words around to suit you can't change that fact. It's exactly the same as you saying...

Nothing can be infinite, except...something infinite.

“let's do this thang!”

Since: Aug 10

Location hidden

#221484 Mar 26, 2014
Happy Lesbo wrote:
<quoted text>
.. when religion realizes the very idea of original sin and the belief that we are lost and require salvation becomes recognized for what it is -- an allegory symbolic of nature ..
alas - so you want to own the nature that you didn't create and reject the One who did create it!

don't you think that Creator might have a lil something to say about that?
yes - Jesus perfectly explained this in a parable what's gonna happen to those who He rented out His 'vineyard' to, but refused to give it back and killed those who were sent to collect!

God is patient because some like me come to their senses and repent, but He's not gonna endure the earth when it becomes monopolized by those who won't!:-)

“Ditat Deus”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#221485 Mar 26, 2014
karl44 wrote:
there is a school near you get some
Yes, the good ole Topix Atheist! comeback; "You're dumb".

“Ditat Deus”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#221486 Mar 26, 2014
ChristineM wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes and many atheists believe christ was an anarchist, murderer and terrorist who was crucified for his crimes against the state, in fact there is more evidence for this stance than that he was the son of a god and a teacher of which there is no evidence.
Stalin murdering, yes this is true, exactly what he did and there is evidence to confirm it, but for atheism? I think not, more for nationalism and no honest person denies this
Stalin – opened 25000 churches
Stalin on Russian Channel 1 - Christ existed in the past
Journalist- It is interesting that from all the Kremlin residents, maybe, just Stalin believed in god
Stalins Daughter – When I said to my father “But Christ didn’t exist” Stalin replied “Oh No, Christ surely existed”
No honest person denies this because it is documented.
So what if Stalin thinks Jesus existed, you do too.

You just admitted it, you think He was an anarchist, murderer and terrorist.

Does that make you a theist? Does that make you a Christian?

“let's do this thang!”

Location hidden

#221487 Mar 26, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Wait, what?
Don't GOOOOOOOOO!!!!!
'they' NEVER really go away but only re-invent new ways to attract attention

“let's do this thang!”

Location hidden

#221488 Mar 26, 2014
Aerobatty wrote:
<quoted text>
You see, YOU'RE the reason such a group is needed.
yes - it's much better to enable addicts and wring our hands in psuedo acceptance rather than confront them with the truth about their insatiable addictions, huh malcom milquetoast?!

“I see quantum effects”

In the macro world.

#221489 Mar 26, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>Yes, the good ole Topix Atheist! comeback; "You're dumb".
If the shoe fits...

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

NCAA Basketball Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News UCLA FOOTBALL NOTEBOOK: Neuheisel says Prince w... (Sep '10) 4 min Chosen Traveler 29,658
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 8 min USAsince1680 1,220,862
What role do you think humans play in global wa... (Sep '14) 3 hr TerryE 5,306
News Thousands Protest Roe V. Wade Decision (Jan '08) 9 hr Junket 309,690
News Kecoughtan High teacher resigns after drug charges (Nov '07) Apr 25 Yogurt Nads 82
Conor Clifford 7ft center to commit to Utah. Apr 19 UHB 1
News Judge overturns California's ban on same-sex ma... (Aug '10) Apr 16 ocean 201,862
More from around the web