Atheism requires as much faith as rel...

Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

There are 239281 comments on the Webbunny tumblelog story from Jul 18, 2009, titled Atheism requires as much faith as religion?. In it, Webbunny tumblelog reports that:

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Webbunny tumblelog.

“Credulity is not a virtue”

Since: Apr 09

San Francisco

#221376 Mar 25, 2014
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
The creator would be necessarily independent of time because time's existence was inititiated by an act of the creator, namely, the emergence of the universe in which time is defined.
If the creator was created, such an event would still be independent of time, as time would not exist except for the action of the created creator.
More to the point, nobody believes in a created god, so nobody believes that type of god exists.
The cyclical universe model you imagine does not help the problem of a caused universe and the traversing of infinite time. It relocates the necessity of a cause further in the past, and the infinite cycles would mean that our present cycle could never occur, and we would not exist and not be discussing it.
Whether people believe in a created creator or not is not relevant to whether that is the case or not.

I see what you are saying about a creator and the idea of a first cause, but the very idea of a first cause necessitates the insistence that a cause wasn't itself caused because someone finds it emotionally satisfying to declare something "first". Anyway, the cyclical universe in my example was infinite, and was never "caused". I don't see why time can't exist and yet be infinite any more than space might be infinite and yet we still can measure parts of it.

San Francisco

#221377 Mar 25, 2014
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
But they can type, as you illustrate.
LOL! OK, you get the last word.

“The true real is unseen”

Since: May 10

Location hidden

#221378 Mar 25, 2014
Aerobatty wrote:
<quoted text>
Yup.
Because every atheist feels that.
Everyone should feel that way.

Location hidden

#221379 Mar 25, 2014
wilderide wrote:
<quoted text>
Regardless, people don't spontaneously believe in the Judeo-Christian God. Don't you think that is a clue?
a clue to what?

Location hidden

#221380 Mar 25, 2014
Happy Lesbo wrote:
<quoted text>
.. sharing personal experiences is a method of convincing ..
That makes no sense.

Sharing the personal experiences of a trip to Ireland to a person is by no means trying to convince the person to make the trip to Ireland.
Thinking

Stockbridge, UK

#221381 Mar 25, 2014
Puck Frick's intelligent design is far from intelligent.
IPSEC wrote:
<quoted text>Way before that in the pantheon of logical fallacies is your ridiculousness of ID, an argumentum ad ignoratium. But, you're soaking in it, Madge.
Thinking

Stockbridge, UK

#221382 Mar 25, 2014
You dumb f**k.
waaasssuuup wrote:
<quoted text>
mutation is NOT a part an evolution process...

San Francisco

#221383 Mar 25, 2014
Phantom2010 wrote:
<quoted text> a clue to what?
Do I have to spell it out for you? No one spontaneously believes in the Judeo-Christian God; they have to be introduced to the concept by others. That's how all deities work in fact. Every culture invents their own deities and myths around them. The Judeo-Christian God is no different in that regard. And thus the Judeo-Christian God is just as made-up as any other god.

Location hidden

#221384 Mar 25, 2014
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
ID is science
BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

Oh man, sorry. I just...

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH AHA!

If any of you ever had any doubt that words have completely different meanings in Buck-world than they do in the real world....there you go.

Location hidden

#221385 Mar 25, 2014
wilderide wrote:
<quoted text>
Whether people believe in a created creator or not is not relevant to whether that is the case or not.
I see what you are saying about a creator and the idea of a first cause, but the very idea of a first cause necessitates the insistence that a cause wasn't itself caused because someone finds it emotionally satisfying to declare something "first". Anyway, the cyclical universe in my example was infinite, and was never "caused". I don't see why time can't exist and yet be infinite any more than space might be infinite and yet we still can measure parts of it.
Neither time nor space can be infinite.

Nothing can be infinite. Once a quantity of something becomes known to exist, it can never exceed a finite quantity. Each successive addition is the next larger finite.

The cyclical universe cannot be infinite, and must be caused. The first cycle is encumbered with the same causality requirement as the single universe.

And if you say there is no first cycle, then there can be no present cycle and we do not exist. Arriving at the present requires a finite past.

Location hidden

#221386 Mar 25, 2014
Just Think wrote:
<quoted text>
BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!
Oh man, sorry. I just...
BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH AHA!
If any of you ever had any doubt that words have completely different meanings in Buck-world than they do in the real world....there you go.
You're funny. A regular Don Knotts.

Location hidden

#221387 Mar 25, 2014
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
Neither time nor space can be infinite.
Nothing can be infinite..
Ah, yes, another amazing Buckinition from Buck-world!

In Buck-world, "infinite" means "finite."

Location hidden

#221388 Mar 25, 2014
wilderide wrote:
<quoted text>
Do I have to spell it out for you? No one spontaneously believes in the Judeo-Christian God; they have to be introduced to the concept by others. That's how all deities work in fact. Every culture invents their own deities and myths around them. The Judeo-Christian God is no different in that regard. And thus the Judeo-Christian God is just as made-up as any other god.
Nature is why many spontaneously believe in God.

To see nature the universe and people and spontaneously believe it all happened on it's own, is to be indoctrinated by others and is a made up irrational mental concept.

“Quantum Junctn: Use Both Lanes”

Since: Dec 06

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#221389 Mar 25, 2014
Phantom2010 wrote:
<quoted text>Nature is why many spontaneously believe in God.
To see nature the universe and people and spontaneously believe it all happened on it's own, is to be indoctrinated by others and is a made up irrational mental concept.
Nobody-- but nobody "spontaneously believe in god".

Nobody.

Without exposure to the God Virus? Nobody "spontaneously" starts believing in bullshyt.

“MEET ROSEMARY-She Seeks Home”

Since: Oct 10

With Established Harem

#221390 Mar 25, 2014
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
ID is science, does not "refute" science, and postulates nothing supernatural.
It is a theory about information synthesis, replication, and transference.
Same as Big Bang Theory or Higgs Boson postulate nothing supernatural.
There are extended implications to many theories, but the supernatural is no more part of ID theory than it is for BB theory.
.. fair enough ..

.. if the intent of ID isn't to 'refute' established science, why is 'intelligent' part of the name ??..

.. if some form of intelligence designed the digital information found in DNA and RNA, who or what is it -- aliens, God? Why is ID heavily funded by Christian conservatives if there isn't an agenda ??..

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Discovery_Instit...

.. long ago, Socrates and Plato advanced the philosophy of intelligent design, it isn't anything new and it's an intriguing philosophy but that's what it is -- a philosophy, an idea, a concept ..

.. I truly understand your arguments, even agree with some including the distinct possibility of reincarnation, something that actually makes scientific sense ..

.. did you check your dungeon to see if AIN is there ??..

With Established Harem

#221391 Mar 25, 2014
waaasssuuup wrote:
<quoted text>
if i told you once i've told you a thousand times; NO - i will not have sex with you!
wilderide wrote:
<quoted text>
Trust me, I wasn't offering. Judging by the way you act I'd say no one ever does.
.. I think Nano offered ..

With Established Harem

#221392 Mar 25, 2014
Aerobatty wrote:
<quoted text>
HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!
Oh...
You were being serious...
.. that was good !! Thank you ..

.. Wasssuupppp requires Hollywood characters to explain the nature of causation. For me, the Genius account of creation is kindergarten cosmology. It's time to end the scriptural tyranny that has endured for 2,000+ years and stop trying to save 'lost' souls that were never lost in the first place ..

Location hidden

#221393 Mar 25, 2014
Bob of Quantum-Faith wrote:
<quoted text>
Nobody-- but nobody "spontaneously believe in god".
Nobody.
Without exposure to the God Virus? Nobody "spontaneously" starts believing in bullshyt.
no one starts spontaneously start believing in BS?

Well,
You spontaneously believed all physicality happened on its own. I would say you spontaneously started to believe in BS.

With Established Harem

#221394 Mar 25, 2014
Happy Lesbo wrote:
<quoted text>
.. sharing personal experiences is a method of convincing ..
Phantom2010 wrote:
<quoted text> That makes no sense.
Sharing the personal experiences of a trip to Ireland to a person is by no means trying to convince the person to make the trip to Ireland.
.. if that makes no sense, why do you think believers give personal testimonials ??..

Location hidden

#221395 Mar 25, 2014
Happy Lesbo wrote:
<quoted text>
.. fair enough ..
.. if the intent of ID isn't to 'refute' established science, why is 'intelligent' part of the name ??..
.. if some form of intelligence designed the digital information found in DNA and RNA, who or what is it -- aliens, God? Why is ID heavily funded by Christian conservatives if there isn't an agenda ??..
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Discovery_Instit...
.. long ago, Socrates and Plato advanced the philosophy of intelligent design, it isn't anything new and it's an intriguing philosophy but that's what it is -- a philosophy, an idea, a concept ..
.. I truly understand your arguments, even agree with some including the distinct possibility of reincarnation, something that actually makes scientific sense ..
.. did you check your dungeon to see if AIN is there ??..
It is scientific, not philosophical at all. Obviously, Christians like the possible implications of the theory. Atheists like the implications of Darwinism. Neither affects the legitimacy of the science.

There is nothing philosophical about information theory and the DNA molecule.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

NCAA Basketball Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 2 min RoxLo 1,233,828
News Thousands Protest Roe V. Wade Decision (Jan '08) 4 min sassyjm 309,897
What role do you think humans play in global wa... (Sep '14) 20 min NinaRocks 5,616
News UCLA FOOTBALL NOTEBOOK: Neuheisel says Prince w... (Sep '10) 21 hr tom wingo 29,767
News Judge overturns California's ban on same-sex ma... (Aug '10) May 25 Pietro Armando 201,809
How to Recover Deleted or lost Contacts from Sa... May 25 Timotion 7
Jayhawks dance team #1 May 24 Jeff 1
More from around the web