Atheism requires as much faith as rel...

Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

There are 247559 comments on the Webbunny tumblelog story from Jul 18, 2009, titled Atheism requires as much faith as religion?. In it, Webbunny tumblelog reports that:

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Webbunny tumblelog.

“Credulity is not a virtue”

Since: Apr 09

San Francisco

#221361 Mar 25, 2014
Aerobatty wrote:
<quoted text>
Hasn't affected me yet.
And several of my daughters best friends are gay.
And she was part of the Gay straight alliance when she was in high school.
Yeah, it only seems to affect waaasup for some reason. Hmmmmm......

Since: May 10

Location hidden

#221362 Mar 25, 2014
wilderide wrote:
<quoted text>
Trust me, I wasn't offering. Judging by the way you act I'd say no one ever does.
I've gotten more than Frank Sinatra.

Some of which I remember.

“H-o-o-o-o-o-o-ld on thar!”

Since: Sep 08

The Borderland of Sol

#221363 Mar 25, 2014
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
ID is science, does not "refute" science, and postulates nothing supernatural.
It is a theory about information synthesis, replication, and transference.
Same as Big Bang Theory or Higgs Boson postulate nothing supernatural.
There are extended implications to many theories, but the supernatural is no more part of ID theory than it is for BB theory.
So who, by you, is the Designer?

Come on. You lot are very careful not to apply a name - but we all know who you-know-who is supposed to be.

It ain't Brahma.

“Ditat Deus”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#221364 Mar 25, 2014
wilderide wrote:
If you're not gonna actually respond, please don't bother.

“I see quantum effects”

Since: Jan 11

In the macro world.

#221365 Mar 25, 2014
waaasssuuup wrote:
<quoted text>HL said "the very first religious system was naturalism..."

HL talks as if she's the authority on EVERYTHING!
are you sure you're not 'related' to hidingfromyou?;-)

btw- the first 'religous system' was the fig leaf, when adam and eve severed their intimate relationship with God and consequently tried to fix it with a self-righteous attempt to cover up and look 'decent' without Him.
HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

Oh...

You were being serious...

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#221366 Mar 25, 2014
Aerobatty wrote:
<quoted text>
Ever hear of a polygraph?
Yes.

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#221367 Mar 25, 2014
Aerobatty wrote:
<quoted text>
Hasn't affected me yet.
And several of my daughters best friends are gay.
And she was part of the Gay straight alliance when she was in high school.
She should get an award.

Maybe a Participation Award....

“I see quantum effects”

In the macro world.

#221368 Mar 25, 2014
waaasssuuup wrote:
<quoted text>mutation is NOT a part an evolution process; it's more of a decline, of course.

it started shortly after Creation because sin was introduced into the environment:

"cursed is the ground because of you.....thorns and thistles it shall bring forth"
HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!

Oh...

You were being serious...

Location hidden

#221369 Mar 25, 2014
wilderide wrote:
<quoted text>
Why would the creator necessarily be independent of time in that example? If the creator was itself created, for example, then it would still be very much in time. Likewise, if the universe was not created by an external agent, then it might well be infinite, with time beginning, ending, and beginning again in repeated cycles as it starts, expands, collapses, and starts over again.
The creator would be necessarily independent of time because time's existence was inititiated by an act of the creator, namely, the emergence of the universe in which time is defined.

If the creator was created, such an event would still be independent of time, as time would not exist except for the action of the created creator.

More to the point, nobody believes in a created god, so nobody believes that type of god exists.

The cyclical universe model you imagine does not help the problem of a caused universe and the traversing of infinite time. It relocates the necessity of a cause further in the past, and the infinite cycles would mean that our present cycle could never occur, and we would not exist and not be discussing it.

“I see quantum effects”

In the macro world.

#221370 Mar 25, 2014
Carl Zarr wrote:
Is this topic still going?
A-yup.

“I see quantum effects”

In the macro world.

#221371 Mar 25, 2014
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>Your daughter's hanging with the wrong crowd.

Does she like big, athletic southern boys?

That was silly. Who doesn't?
Her friends are great people.

San Francisco

#221372 Mar 25, 2014
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
I've gotten more than Frank Sinatra.
Some of which I remember.
Fortunately for you, pigs can't talk.

San Francisco

#221373 Mar 25, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
If you're not gonna actually respond, please don't bother.
I did respond. My response was: it's not my job to educate you. If you want to know what circular reasoning is, go look it up. Likewise, if you want to learn about how psychology works, try Wikipedia. Or don't. Up to you.

Location hidden

#221374 Mar 25, 2014
macumazahn wrote:
<quoted text>So who, by you, is the Designer?
Come on. You lot are very careful not to apply a name - but we all know who you-know-who is supposed to be.
It ain't Brahma.
I could give you an opinion. But that is not part of the scientific hypothesis.

You are confusing an implication of a theory with a theory.

Some have speculated (including Richard Dawkins) that the universe was seeded with DNA spores by an unidentified alien source.

Opinions vary. I was discussing a scientific hypothesis, which, in this case, does not postulate a designer.

Location hidden

#221375 Mar 25, 2014
wilderide wrote:
<quoted text>
Fortunately for you, pigs can't talk.
But they can type, as you illustrate.

San Francisco

#221376 Mar 25, 2014
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
The creator would be necessarily independent of time because time's existence was inititiated by an act of the creator, namely, the emergence of the universe in which time is defined.
If the creator was created, such an event would still be independent of time, as time would not exist except for the action of the created creator.
More to the point, nobody believes in a created god, so nobody believes that type of god exists.
The cyclical universe model you imagine does not help the problem of a caused universe and the traversing of infinite time. It relocates the necessity of a cause further in the past, and the infinite cycles would mean that our present cycle could never occur, and we would not exist and not be discussing it.
Whether people believe in a created creator or not is not relevant to whether that is the case or not.

I see what you are saying about a creator and the idea of a first cause, but the very idea of a first cause necessitates the insistence that a cause wasn't itself caused because someone finds it emotionally satisfying to declare something "first". Anyway, the cyclical universe in my example was infinite, and was never "caused". I don't see why time can't exist and yet be infinite any more than space might be infinite and yet we still can measure parts of it.

San Francisco

#221377 Mar 25, 2014
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
But they can type, as you illustrate.
LOL! OK, you get the last word.

“The true real is unseen”

Location hidden

#221378 Mar 25, 2014
Aerobatty wrote:
<quoted text>
Yup.
Because every atheist feels that.
Everyone should feel that way.

Location hidden

#221379 Mar 25, 2014
wilderide wrote:
<quoted text>
Regardless, people don't spontaneously believe in the Judeo-Christian God. Don't you think that is a clue?
a clue to what?

Location hidden

#221380 Mar 25, 2014
Happy Lesbo wrote:
<quoted text>
.. sharing personal experiences is a method of convincing ..
That makes no sense.

Sharing the personal experiences of a trip to Ireland to a person is by no means trying to convince the person to make the trip to Ireland.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

NCAA Basketball Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 5 min Incognito4Ever 1,277,555
News UCLA FOOTBALL NOTEBOOK: Neuheisel says Prince w... (Sep '10) 1 hr Chosen Traveler 29,953
What role do you think humans play in global wa... (Sep '14) 1 hr ritedownthemiddle 6,928
News Thousands Protest Roe V. Wade Decision (Jan '08) 5 hr cpeter1313 310,234
News Judge overturns California's ban on same-sex ma... (Aug '10) Tue Pastor Pete 201,864
Conn's Appliances (Nov '07) Aug 20 Jcrombie67 282
Hoophall Invitational - Miami Aug 17 Hoophall 1
More from around the web