Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

There are 238465 comments on the Webbunny tumblelog story from Jul 18, 2009, titled Atheism requires as much faith as religion?. In it, Webbunny tumblelog reports that:

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Webbunny tumblelog.

ROCCO

Desert Hot Springs, CA

#221316 Mar 25, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
(irrelevant portion snipped)

"A MAN WITH A CONVICTION is a hard man to change. Tell him you disagree and he turns away. Show him facts or figures and he questions your sources. Appeal to logic and he fails to see your point."
- Stanford University psychologist Leon Festinger
Excellent summarization of yourself, Repugnant Riverside Redneck.

But it's highly doubtful you will recognize it.

“MEET ROSEMARY-She Seeks Home”

Since: Oct 10

With Established Harem

#221317 Mar 25, 2014
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes, they claim mutations are unguided - random accidental coding.
.. science cannot confirm whether mutations are guided or unguided ..

.. it's not my goal to defend science or religion, but to point out that science cannot rule out a guided mechanism. Words like 'random' or 'accidental' may sway but they do not convince ..
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
Why do you call exploring alternative scientific explanations "refuting science"?
.. ID is not an alternative scientific explanation, it's a philosophy ..

“The Bible is no science book”

Since: Jan 08

Location hidden

#221318 Mar 25, 2014
wilderide wrote:
<quoted text>
What on Earth makes you think skeptics are only skeptical of religion?
The most famous skeptic of all

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/James_Randi

“MEET ROSEMARY-She Seeks Home”

Since: Oct 10

With Established Harem

#221319 Mar 25, 2014
BenAdam wrote:
<quoted text>
One of the problems with "species" is that the definition of "species" is ambiguous throughout the sciences.
My preferred definition is 'two organisms that can naturally produces fertile offspring" yet that exclude asexual, parthenogenic and hermaphroditic species.
.. I'm convinced men and women are different species ..

“Love much, trust none”

Since: Jul 11

There

#221320 Mar 25, 2014
Happy Lesbo wrote:
<quoted text>
I am becoming convinced that Topix theists are a different species.

“Love much, trust none”

There

#221321 Mar 25, 2014
There is a big difference between "Lifeforms themselves may subconsciously guide and alter themselves to survive" and "God did it".

ID is the latter.
Science the former.

“ Knight Of Hyrule”

Since: Dec 10

Location hidden

#221322 Mar 25, 2014
Happy Lesbo wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm convinced men and women are different sexes.

Since: May 10

Location hidden

#221323 Mar 25, 2014
ChristineM wrote:
<quoted text>
Why are you so deliberately blind to facts? Did they use too much electricity when they zapped you brain?
Stalin – opened 25000 churches
Stalin on Russian Channel 1 - Christ existed in the past
Journalist- It is interesting that from all the Kremlin residents, maybe, just Stalin believed in god
Stalins Daughter – When I said to my father “But Christ didn’t exist” Stalin replied “Oh No, Christ surely existed”
Many atheists think Christ existed.

Stalin was an atheist, he murdered and tortured for atheism, and he sought to produce an atheist Russia.

No honest person denies this.

Location hidden

#221324 Mar 25, 2014
BenAdam wrote:
There is a big difference between "Lifeforms themselves may subconsciously guide and alter themselves to survive" and "God did it".
ID is the latter.
Science the former.
There is no such science saying life forms subconsciously guide their DNA.

You people get dumber all the time.

Location hidden

#221325 Mar 25, 2014
Happy Lesbo wrote:
<quoted text>
.. science cannot confirm whether mutations are guided or unguided ..
.. it's not my goal to defend science or religion, but to point out that science cannot rule out a guided mechanism. Words like 'random' or 'accidental' may sway but they do not convince ..
<quoted text>
.. ID is not an alternative scientific explanation, it's a philosophy ..
Then you are confused. ID is a scientific hypothesis, and has nothing to do with philosophy.

Darwinism has much to do with philosophy.

Geneticist and Darwinist Richard Lewontin:

"Our willingness to accept scientific claims that are against common sense is the key to an understanding of the real struggle between science and the supernatural. We take the side of science in spite of the patent absurdity of some of its constructs, in spite of its failure to fulfill many of its extravagant promises of health and life, in spite of the tolerance of the scientific community for unsubstantiated just-so stories, because we have a prior commitment, a commitment to materialism."

A prior commitment to materialism, which means the philosophy comes "prior to", or "before" the science.

“Credulity is not a virtue”

Since: Apr 09

San Francisco

#221326 Mar 25, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
I don't believe in unanswered prayers. I believe that God answers them all, even if the answer is no.
If love has a demonstrable, empirical effect then why hasn't any scientific evidence for said effect been discovered?
That is pure circular reasoning. All results are proof of the hypothesis. Then all hypothesis are true.

You keep referring to emotions as if they are an intangible thing that can't be measured or studied. It's as if you've never heard that an entire field of study called psychology exists.

San Francisco

#221327 Mar 25, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Because people are different.
When a man can date, marry and have sex with nothing but women for thirty years then all of a sudden find Mr Right, he's effectively turned gay, or at least bi.
Another possibility is that the person in your example always had a latent same-sex attraction that might have been suppressed/denied or just not acted upon.

San Francisco

#221328 Mar 25, 2014
KiMare wrote:
<quoted text>
It already has. Numerous times.
Guess what the definition of insanity is...
Smirk.
Well, one definition might include the daily compulsion to tell gay people how wrong their sex lives are when you don't even claim to belong to that group. What's your interest (not to say obsession) in that about, anyway?

San Francisco

#221329 Mar 25, 2014
KiMare wrote:
<quoted text>
The context was a human constrained by time understanding a God who is not.
Shifting the subject to your angry twist of Christianity is hardly an honest reply. The fact that it was necessary for you to do so answers my question.
You didn't understand what I wrote, did you?

San Francisco

#221330 Mar 25, 2014
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes, I'm afraid that's exactly what it means.
Traversing infinite time is impossible, so if time were infinite, the present time could not occur.
Couldn't that apply to an infinite God too? Seems your hypothesis has holes in it.

“Love much, trust none”

There

#221331 Mar 25, 2014
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
There is no such science saying life forms subconsciously guide their DNA.
You people get dumber all the time.
Yes there is.

It is called the Gaia hypothesis and views the entire planet as a living organism with its own consciousness.

Perhaps once you get out of the Bronze Age reading section of the prison library you might find a book on the subject.

San Francisco

#221332 Mar 25, 2014
Phantom2010 wrote:
<quoted text> The Son of God never told anyone to convince anyone of anything. All he said was to share.
To convince and to share are not the same thing.
Regardless, people don't spontaneously believe in the Judeo-Christian God. Don't you think that is a clue?

“Ditat Deus”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#221333 Mar 25, 2014
ROCCO wrote:
<quoted text>
Excellent summarization of yourself, Repugnant Riverside Redneck.
But it's highly doubtful you will recognize it.
Thanks, Catcher.

“Ditat Deus”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#221334 Mar 25, 2014
Happy Lesbo wrote:
<quoted text>
That it cuz women is dumb

“Quantum Junctn: Use Both Lanes”

Since: Dec 06

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#221335 Mar 25, 2014
Darwins Stepchild wrote:
<quoted text>
Bull...effing...sh*t
This is the lies the religious tell themselves to justify their bigotry.
Roger Waters, the author of Pink Floyd's "another brick in the wall" explained quite well what he meant by it.

It was religious indoctrination he was railing against.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

NCAA Basketball Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 3 min Nuculur option 1,224,929
News Thousands Protest Roe V. Wade Decision (Jan '08) 2 hr State the Obvious 309,765
mark moel loan house is here for you to uptain ... (Sep '13) 22 hr robert walker 6
News UCLA FOOTBALL NOTEBOOK: Neuheisel says Prince w... (Sep '10) Mon tom wingo 29,725
How to Recover Deleted or lost Contacts from Sa... Apr 29 Sauck freedom 6
News Freshman Jonah Bolden declared ineligible for U... (Sep '14) Apr 29 tom wingo 4
What role do you think humans play in global wa... (Sep '14) Apr 27 TerryE 5,306
More from around the web