Atheism requires as much faith as rel...

Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

There are 255511 comments on the Webbunny tumblelog story from Jul 18, 2009, titled Atheism requires as much faith as religion?. In it, Webbunny tumblelog reports that:

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Webbunny tumblelog.

Since: Mar 09

Location hidden

#221508 Mar 26, 2014
Rosa_Winkel wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes he does. Another shining example of the "Lord's work".
Another 'victim' heard from

When you first started posting I have you the benefit of the doubt that you were a new poster despite immediate alliances you made with and against people you supposedly didn't even know.

I made probably a dozen friendly posts to you, mostly about animals or some of the non-religious subjects you showed an interest in and you didn't respond once. Even stranger for someone I had no history with you began to randomly make attacks at me and others in the room who had never said a negative word to you and some who had only posted to you in a positive way. Yet you seemed very close a few people that had rarely ever posted in WSJLM.

Perhaps if you spent less time playing games you would have realized they stopped working on Topix years ago. Grab all the tissue you want, neither of you are even close to victims. If anything, you two are instigators, still under the delusion it influences people's perceptions. But you knew that already 'mate'

“The true real is unseen”

Since: May 10

Location hidden

#221509 Mar 26, 2014
wilderide wrote:
<quoted text>
When I was a little kid I was afraid of the dark, and thought there were monsters under the bed or hiding in the closet. I had no proof that there were of course, because there weren't any. But I earnestly believed there were. I was projecting my fear of the unknown. Ghosts and spirits are the same thing. People make up stories about things and they sometimes develop into larger myths and legends. It's just magical thinking, part of our psychological make-up. My guess would be that humans developed a propensity for magical thinking as a survival technique. A slightly paranoid person who thinks there might be predators lurking in the dark will take extra precautions to protect themselves, and will survive longer than someone with a more careless attitude. Now of course that propensity has outgrown it's usefulness.

Phantom2010 wrote:
<quoted text> And what is your explanation as to why your spontaneous beliefs are irrational and magical?

Was this post an answer to my question? or was the post an attempt to avoid answering the question? Because nothing you said in this post addresses my question. why is that?

“Seventh son”

Since: Dec 10

Will Prevail

#221510 Mar 26, 2014
ChristineM wrote:
<quoted text>
Why are you attempting to compare me to Stalin?
I did not study for the priesthood
I did not open 25000 churches
I did not re-instate the church institutions
But Stalin did.
Hmm, you're not black haired, male and Russian or have a desire to rule the Slav's either.
On another note , I watched the program "Secrets of the London Tower".
It really made me want to go see it, maybe some day I can.:)

“Seventh son”

Will Prevail

#221511 Mar 26, 2014
ChristineM wrote:
<quoted text>
I did not study for the priesthood
I did not open 25000 churches
I did not re-instate the church institutions
But Stalin did.
If I had to compare you , and only by what you have said of yourself.
I would have to compare you to Dianna , only maybe a bit less royal and much less American.
I could imagine a Dianna like blond English lady driving a Jaguar, who commands some respect, like a Thatcher or something.:)

“Credulity is not a virtue”

Since: Apr 09

San Francisco

#221512 Mar 26, 2014
Phantom2010 wrote:
<quoted text> Was this post an answer to my question? or was the post an attempt to avoid answering the question? Because nothing you said in this post addresses my question. why is that?
Sorry, I thought I was answering your question. Can you reword it? I must be misunderstanding you.

“let's do this thang!”

Since: Aug 10

Location hidden

#221513 Mar 26, 2014
Aerobatty wrote:
<quoted text>
You're a sique fuque.
you may not understand it at this juncture, but this is a compliment from someone who promotes homosexuality and who encourages his young daughter to do so as well - thanks!

“Ditat Deus”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#221514 Mar 26, 2014
Aura Mytha wrote:
<quoted text>
Okay Tarzan, but you're not coming into this building, till you go get some shoes.
Shoes are for yuppies and city boys, I wear boots.

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#221515 Mar 26, 2014
Skombolis wrote:
<quoted text>I miss the days of both the classics and 'cult favorites'. The Marvel movies have been a nice touch to pump some blood into an industry that seems to be running out of ideas and still can't top movies from 40 years ago. In one way its cool they have stood the test of time but wish there were more great movies to keep adding to the list. Very few in recent years
I totally agree. I think the reason why we have so many "reality shows" is because a lot of writers have just run out of ideas. That's probably also why we're getting a whole lot of old movies being remade, but a lot of the times I think the original is way better than the remake. Total Recall is one of them.

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#221516 Mar 26, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:

So what if Stalin thinks Jesus existed, you do too.

You just admitted it, you think He was an anarchist, murderer and terrorist.

Does that make you a theist? Does that make you a Christian?
ChristineM wrote:
Because you and Stalin both believe Jesus existed.

You would know that, if you could read.

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#221517 Mar 26, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:

I know that psychology is the scientific study of the human mind and it's functions, it isn't just about emotions.
And I don't need wiki to verify that.
wilderide wrote:
The point being, emotions can be studied.
No, the point is that psychology is not the study of emotions, as you originally claimed (that's why I deleted the rest of your red herring from this response).

“Seventh son”

Will Prevail

#221518 Mar 26, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Shoes are for yuppies and city boys, I wear boots.
Dummy, boots are footwear and a specifically a type of shoe.
Anon

Lakewood, OH

#221519 Mar 26, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
I totally agree. I think the reason why we have so many "reality shows" is because a lot of writers have just run out of ideas. That's probably also why we're getting a whole lot of old movies being remade, but a lot of the times I think the original is way better than the remake. Total Recall is one of them.
Reality shows are cheap to make and the profits are high if they're successful. The only losers are the viewers who are being indoctrinated into thinking abject stupidity is entertainment.
Hey, who's up for Honey Boo Boo?
Anon

Lakewood, OH

#221520 Mar 26, 2014
wilderide wrote:
<quoted text>
Oh I'd totally cuddle Rosemary I'm sure. That's something entirely different.
;)
Are you aware that HL announced she was leaving Topix? Post #221432.

“I see quantum effects”

Since: Jan 11

In the macro world.

#221521 Mar 26, 2014
waaasssuuup wrote:
<quoted text>you may not understand it at this juncture, but this is a compliment from someone who promotes homosexuality and who encourages his young daughter to do so as well - thanks!
You're stupid too.

She's promoting tolerance, not homosexuality.

I wouldn't expect a Christian to understand that.
Eagle 12

Edwardsville, IL

#221522 Mar 26, 2014
Bob of Quantum-Faith wrote:
<quoted text>
No.
NEXT!
My good friend Bob.[tipping hat]
Eagle 12

Edwardsville, IL

#221523 Mar 26, 2014
wilderide wrote:
<quoted text>
When I was a little kid I was afraid of the dark, and thought there were monsters under the bed or hiding in the closet. I had no proof that there were of course, because there weren't any. But I earnestly believed there were. I was projecting my fear of the unknown. Ghosts and spirits are the same thing. People make up stories about things and they sometimes develop into larger myths and legends. It's just magical thinking, part of our psychological make-up. My guess would be that humans developed a propensity for magical thinking as a survival technique. A slightly paranoid person who thinks there might be predators lurking in the dark will take extra precautions to protect themselves, and will survive longer than someone with a more careless attitude. Now of course that propensity has outgrown it's usefulness.
I was also afraid of the dark as a little kid. Terribly afraid and I understand now how kids can be so terrified of the dark. Even in my early teens I could get spooked.

But when I grew up all that fear left me. But I know you won’t believe it but my fathers house was haunted. I stayed there as an adult many days taking care of him when he was dying of cancer. Dad was a dedicated Atheist right up till about six months before he died.

In his house you could hear car doors slam outside and we knew all the cars were locked and windows rolled up. Lights would come on and off by themselves. The actual switch would change positions. Chains would rattle outside at night. The toilet seat would slam hard even though it was down. He lived in the country and there were no neighbors anywhere close by.

Even clothes would get tossed around by themselves. Weird and just freaking crazy. But I never was afraid of these nuisance demons. They were just annoying.

San Francisco

#221524 Mar 26, 2014
Eagle 12 wrote:
<quoted text>
I was also afraid of the dark as a little kid. Terribly afraid and I understand now how kids can be so terrified of the dark. Even in my early teens I could get spooked.
But when I grew up all that fear left me. But I know you won’t believe it but my fathers house was haunted. I stayed there as an adult many days taking care of him when he was dying of cancer. Dad was a dedicated Atheist right up till about six months before he died.
In his house you could hear car doors slam outside and we knew all the cars were locked and windows rolled up. Lights would come on and off by themselves. The actual switch would change positions. Chains would rattle outside at night. The toilet seat would slam hard even though it was down. He lived in the country and there were no neighbors anywhere close by.
Even clothes would get tossed around by themselves. Weird and just freaking crazy. But I never was afraid of these nuisance demons. They were just annoying.
Well, I am obviously skeptical that what you experienced were ghosts, but I was not there and can't analyze what you saw/experienced. I myself had things happen in my life that seemed to be supernatural that I can't explain. However, I am confident that everything has a rational explanation which is not supernatural, even if we might never know what that rational explanation is.

San Francisco

#221525 Mar 26, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
No, the point is that psychology is not the study of emotions, as you originally claimed (that's why I deleted the rest of your red herring from this response).
Psychology: "the scientific study of the human mind and its functions, esp. those affecting behavior in a given context."

And yes, that does include a study of the emotions. And no, I'm not going to ride around the semantic merry-go-round with you on this. If you have a larger point to make, then make it.

“The Bible is no science book”

Since: Jan 08

Location hidden

#221526 Mar 26, 2014
Anon wrote:
<quoted text>
Reality shows are cheap to make and the profits are high if they're successful. The only losers are the viewers who are being indoctrinated into thinking abject stupidity is entertainment.
Hey, who's up for Honey Boo Boo?
I wouldn't touch that with a ten foot pole. And I have actually seen her and her family in person, followed around by a camera crew.

Since: Mar 09

Location hidden

#221527 Mar 26, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Definitely. Reality TV was like the Hollywood wet dream. Low overhead, no high paid actors or writers. Just mindless garbage geared towards the lowest common denominator of the human psyche.

I am by far not a movie snob. If its "On The Waterfront, Rocky, Star Wars, Godfather, Shawshank Redemption, Seven, Misery, Gone Baby Gone, The Usual Suspects, Pulp Fiction, etc" I don't care the genre or subject matter. I just like movies that stick with you for one reason or another and obviously that are well done.

My favorites have been a lot of HBO series.

The crap that gets churned out that creates the Justin Beibers and the realty television shows is just sad. And who knows how much amazing talent or writing the world will never know about because they didn't know the right people, didn't screw the right people, or weren't 'marketable'. It's sad and annoying to think about

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

NCAA Basketball Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Thousands Protest Roe V. Wade Decision (Jan '08) 1 min Truth is might 311,343
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 1 hr OzRitz 1,395,640
What role do you think humans play in global wa... (Sep '14) 7 hr Into The Night 9,870
News Judge overturns California's ban on same-sex ma... (Aug '10) Mon Barbi A 201,865
News UCLA FOOTBALL NOTEBOOK: Neuheisel says Prince w... (Sep '10) Mon Trojan 32,289
News What they're saying about Bulls draft pick Bobb... (Jun '15) Jun 20 Tretre 6
I got my loan from [email protected] (Jun '13) Jun 6 James Harry 41
More from around the web