Atheism requires as much faith as rel...

Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

There are 258484 comments on the Webbunny tumblelog story from Jul 18, 2009, titled Atheism requires as much faith as religion?. In it, Webbunny tumblelog reports that:

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Webbunny tumblelog.

“Credulity is not a virtue”

Since: Apr 09

San Francisco

#221404 Mar 25, 2014
Phantom2010 wrote:
<quoted text>Nature is why many spontaneously believe in God.
To see nature the universe and people and spontaneously believe it all happened on it's own, is to be indoctrinated by others and is a made up irrational mental concept.
You are missing the point. Most cultures invent deities to explain such things as you describe, and yet they each describe different gods and mythologies, the Hebrews (and later, Christians) included. If every culture spontaneously had the same deity, that might be an argument for a specific outside agency. But instead they all create deities which reflect their own values.

My conclusion: religion is just projection, and humans have a tendency to be irrational and believe in supernatural forces. It's part of our psychological make-up. All of us fall into magical thinking in one way or other.

“Credulity is not a virtue”

Since: Apr 09

San Francisco

#221405 Mar 25, 2014
Happy Lesbo wrote:
waaasssuuup wrote:
<quoted text>
if i told you once i've told you a thousand times; NO - i will not have sex with you!
<quoted text>
.. I think Nano offered ..
Yeah, when she is drunk she sometimes offers to let others pet her "kitteh".

*shudders*

“What are you looking at?”

Since: Jan 08

Albuquerque, NM

#221406 Mar 25, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
I just hope JJ Abrams doesn't put a non-Star Wars feeling to it.
He did a great job with the two Star Trek movies, he better not screw up my Star Wars!
I know what you mean.

I'v actually heard that JJ studied up on the SW trilogies already - and has committed to provide a movie for teh SW fans.

I'm actually looking forward to his take on the franchise.

It'll be interesting.

Just to speculate:

- Luke and Leia (Mark and Carrie are 40 years in the future now) will be older and have their own kids. Since Luke was the last of the Jedis, I'm guessing he would have opened a new school and Han and Leia's kids are part of the class.

It is also odd, that it seems that each of the trilogies - was 40 years into the future.....and then they play off of that (Clone wars were within the 40 years between ep2 and ep3.....

:o)

“KiMare'a the Monster Mutation”

Since: Nov 10

Location hidden

#221407 Mar 25, 2014
The universe, created from nothing and in the end, rolled back up like a scroll.

Even noting that the universe appears to be flat.

Science finally caught up.

Smile.

“MEET KIKI -She Seeks Home”

Since: Oct 10

With Established Harem

#221408 Mar 25, 2014
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
Obviously, Christians like the possible implications of the theory. Atheists like the implications of Darwinism.
.. that makes sense ..

.. my problem with ID is using the hypothesis to sneak Christianity back into the classroom when parental preferences like atheism, Hinduism, Buddhism or Judaism become disparaged, stigmatized and ultimately condemned ..

.. did you know the controversy over creationalism and ID has prevented evolution from being emphasized in science curricula in a manner commensurate with its importance? Pubic school teachers regularly face administrative pressure to minimize the teaching of evolution. Trust me, it's true ..

With Established Harem

#221409 Mar 25, 2014
waaasssuuup wrote:
<quoted text>
well now that you responded to me i feel like an a-hole:-(
i felt like you were putting me in a time-out so it brought out a need for your attention whether positive or negative, as if you were my mommy and i were your lil cuddle bug:-)
.. don't take it personally, I ignore people all the time ..

With Established Harem

#221410 Mar 25, 2014
Phantom2010 wrote:
<quoted text>is that what you think is going on here? personal testimonies?
.. no ..

.. you're not tracking ..

“Quantum Junctn: Use Both Lanes”

Since: Dec 06

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#221411 Mar 25, 2014
Phantom2010 wrote:
<quoted text> no one starts spontaneously start believing in BS?
Correct. To a skeptic, such as myself? I don't believe in **anything**.

I do **trust** some scientific conclusions-- but I do not BELIEVE in them.

I also trust that if the conclusions need to be changed? They will be-- and I'll accept the new conclusions, without rancor.

Because I have no need to BELIEVE in science.

To BELIEVE in things?

Is to become a sheep-- a non-thinking sheep.

Pass.
Phantom2010 wrote:
Well,
You spontaneously believed all physicality happened on its own. I would say you spontaneously started to believe in BS.
See above. Moreover-- I don't believe it happened all on it's own.

That's not the only possibility anyhow.

The universe could have always been, in one form or another-- the PRESENT FORM had a beginning, but it could easily have existed in ANOTHER FORM, before the present one.

That's one.

The universe could also have come from previously existing universes, other than our own, by some interaction we do not yet understand.

That's two.

NEITHER OF THESE NEED ANY GOD-GOO.

Pity you.

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#221412 Mar 25, 2014
Phantom2010 wrote:
<quoted text> no one starts spontaneously start believing in BS?
Well,
You spontaneously believed all physicality happened on its own. I would say you spontaneously started to believe in BS.
By the way?

You are an idiot.

Just so you know-- only an idiot believes in GOD-GOO.

You know what I mean-- the "stuff" you think your god uses to make the impossible happen.

God-goo.

The stuff you PRAY FOR, whenever you want your god to BREAK THE RULES FOR YOU, PERSONALLY.

Why else would you pray?

God-goo.

Sounds icky.

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#221413 Mar 25, 2014
Phantom2010 wrote:
<quoted text>is that what you think is going on here? personal testimonies?
You got ANYTHING else?

No?

We thought as much-- "personal testimonies" is the ONLY thing you got.

You better pray for some more GOD-GOO.

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#221414 Mar 25, 2014
Eagle 12 wrote:
Does the Big Bang breakthrough offer proof of God?
No.

NEXT!

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#221415 Mar 25, 2014
wilderide wrote:
<quoted text>
*shudders*
Dammit, now I can't get that hideous image out of my head...

...**shudder**

With Established Harem

#221416 Mar 25, 2014
waaasssuuup wrote:
<quoted text>
oont how do you zuppose to stop zee propogation of zscriptures from which the Jewz got their ancestory and lineage, heir freuline lezbo?!
.. when religion realizes the very idea of original sin and the belief that we are lost and require salvation becomes recognized for what it is -- an allegory symbolic of nature ..

With Established Harem

#221417 Mar 25, 2014
wilderide wrote:
<quoted text>
My conclusion: religion is just projection, and humans have a tendency to be irrational and believe in supernatural forces. It's part of our psychological make-up. All of us fall into magical thinking in one way or other.
.. would you also consider religion a control mechanism ??..

Since: Mar 09

Location hidden

#221418 Mar 25, 2014
Happy Lesbo wrote:
<quoted text>
did you know the controversy over creationalism and ID has prevented evolution from being emphasized in science curricula in a manner commensurate with its importance? Pubic school teachers regularly face administrative pressure to minimize the teaching of evolution. Trust me, it's true ..
Did you know you plagiarized this from the NSTA position statement on evolution but thought you changed up just enough not to be caught?

http://www.nsta.org/about/positions/evolution...

Of course you did?

Why do I leave this place? It's instant fun

:)

“KiMare'a the Monster Mutation”

Since: Nov 10

Location hidden

#221419 Mar 25, 2014
Bob of Quantum-Faith wrote:
<quoted text>
No.
NEXT!
Really?

Just how did a 'rational atheist' oxymoron rule out an Intelligent Force?

Smile.

With Established Harem

#221420 Mar 25, 2014
wilderide wrote:
<quoted text>
*shudders*
.. admit it, you'd pet Rosemary ..

“Ditat Deus”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#221421 Mar 25, 2014
wilderide wrote:
<quoted text>
I did respond. My response was: it's not my job to educate you. If you want to know what circular reasoning is, go look it up. Likewise, if you want to learn about how psychology works, try Wikipedia. Or don't. Up to you.
I know that psychology is the scientific study of the human mind and it's functions, it isn't just about emotions.

And I don't need wiki to verify that.

“Ditat Deus”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#221422 Mar 25, 2014
Happy Lesbo wrote:
.. if that makes no sense, why do you think believers give personal testimonials ??..
To share our experiences.

Why do you tell us about your scarves? Are you trying to convince us that scarves are sexy? Are you trying to convince us that scarves are needed? Are you trying to convince us of anything?

Since: Mar 09

Location hidden

#221423 Mar 25, 2014
Stupid phone

Sorry bout multiple posts

Topix will prob delete them

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

NCAA Basketball Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 4 min RoxLo 1,497,241
What role do you think humans play in global wa... (Sep '14) 1 hr Mother Knows Best 10,983
News Thousands Protest Roe V. Wade Decision (Jan '08) 15 hr Faith Michigan 313,382
News UCLA FOOTBALL NOTEBOOK: Neuheisel says Prince w... (Sep '10) 22 hr ResidentPhartx 32,756
News Western Michigan heads to Illinois as a favorite Tue TrumpsPhartsx 99
Conn's Appliances (Nov '07) Feb 15 Jhuerta 287
How my search of $450000 dollars became real. Feb 14 Kesby Karen 1
More from around the web