Atheism requires as much faith as rel...

Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

There are 258490 comments on the Webbunny tumblelog story from Jul 18, 2009, titled Atheism requires as much faith as religion?. In it, Webbunny tumblelog reports that:

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Webbunny tumblelog.

“The true real is unseen”

Since: May 10

Location hidden

#221080 Mar 24, 2014
Aerobatty wrote:
<quoted text>
Well, I do see much evidence against the existence of the god of the bible and any other or previous gods suggested.
Maybe you just refuse to see THAT evidence.
The latest scientific discovery is that the universe had a beginning. Which means an outside agent had to begin the process.

So I don't see your evidence against the existence of God.

Location hidden

#221081 Mar 24, 2014
Aerobatty wrote:
<quoted text>
What makes that afterlife less valid than yours?
It does not. If the Hindu is comfortable with that afterlife, good for them. I'm comfortable with the afterlife the bible proclaims.

Location hidden

#221082 Mar 24, 2014
Aerobatty wrote:
<quoted text>
There's video of Bigfoot.
so you believe bigfoot exist?
Anon

Lakewood, OH

#221083 Mar 24, 2014
Aerobatty wrote:
<quoted text>
Don't forget "Messin' With Sasquatch".

“Credulity is not a virtue”

Since: Apr 09

San Francisco

#221084 Mar 24, 2014
KiMare wrote:
<quoted text>
Apparently scientists see it differently.
Oh, and rational atheist scientists do too. The first to assert the Big Bang now isn't so sure about God.
Interesting that countless cultures believe in the supernatural, but not one single culture has accepted ss couples as married for any length of time.
Smile.
Except for the ones which did of course, and all the ones which increasingly do today.

“I see quantum effects”

Since: Jan 11

In the macro world.

#221085 Mar 24, 2014
Phantom2010 wrote:
<quoted text>The latest scientific discovery is that the universe had a beginning. Which means an outside agent had to begin the process.

Your premise that an "outside agent" had to begin the process is unsupported.

My evidence against the existence of the biblical god is the bible itself.

And that is just one form of many.

“I see quantum effects”

In the macro world.

#221086 Mar 24, 2014
Phantom2010 wrote:
<quoted text>so you believe bigfoot exist?
Did I say that?

San Francisco

#221087 Mar 24, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
So what? I have those same quotes.
A person can claim to have faith, or even believe that they have a strong faith in God, that doesn't mean they have a free pass to heaven.
If a person has faith in God but their actions show otherwise, that directly reflects their faith.
Let's put it in a nonreligious perspective that you might better understand. Say a person claims to be a patriotic American, but the only patriotism they show is when they barbecue hotdogs on the Fourth of July. Would you agree that there claim is true?
How can someone only think they believe something? Are you saying people cannot be sure of what they believe? That seems a rather silly argument.

Hitler claimed to be a Christian. What if, after a lifetime of being responsible for atrocities, he truly and sincerely accepted Christ when he was confronted with his death? Would Jesus reject him? Paul says that Jesus will accept anyone who honestly accepts Jesus as their savior. Is that not the case?

San Francisco

#221088 Mar 24, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
You're looking at it in an elementary linear perspective. You're thinking says that your life is a straight line and all of your actions are predetermined, how do you know that's true?
Because I believe that God is omnipotent and omniscient, I believe that God can see any and all possibilities that your life could take and the path your life does take.
Your actions are your own, the possibilities are endless.
Possibilities aren't all taken, are they? So how can God know for a fact the results of choices that we never make?

If you come to a fork in the road, you can only choose to go either right or left. You can't simultaneously do both. So if God knows you will go left, can you turn right instead? If yes, then you have free will but God is not omnipotent, if not then God is omnipotent but you don't have free will.

You can make arguments about whether God lives in linear time or not, but we certainly do live in linear time.

San Francisco

#221089 Mar 24, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Then why are you so called skeptics only skeptical of religion?
What on Earth makes you think skeptics are only skeptical of religion?

San Francisco

#221090 Mar 24, 2014
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
You employ a fallacy of displaced causality.
I could explain it, but you would still cling to atheist dogma. So enjoy it.
No, actually, you got nuthin.

San Francisco

#221091 Mar 24, 2014
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
You claimed everyone is an atheist.
That disqualifies you from any discussion of reading comprehension or skepticism.
Everyone is. Do you accept that Vishnu exists? How about Zeus?

“I see quantum effects”

In the macro world.

#221092 Mar 24, 2014
Phantom2010 wrote:
<quoted text>It does not. If the Hindu is comfortable with that afterlife, good for them. I'm comfortable with the afterlife the bible proclaims.
I'm comfortable with living this life as though it's the only one I have.

San Francisco

#221093 Mar 24, 2014
Phantom2010 wrote:
<quoted text>The latest scientific discovery is that the universe had a beginning. Which means an outside agent had to begin the process.
What makes you think this outside agent is the Abrahamic God and not something else entirely? And what created the outside agent?

San Francisco

#221094 Mar 24, 2014
Phantom2010 wrote:
<quoted text> It does not. If the Hindu is comfortable with that afterlife, good for them. I'm comfortable with the afterlife the bible proclaims.
So then every claim made by every religion is equally valid?

“I see quantum effects”

In the macro world.

#221095 Mar 24, 2014
wilderide wrote:
<quoted text>What makes you think this outside agent is the Abrahamic God and not something else entirely? And what created the outside agent?
It's outside agents all the way down.

“I see quantum effects”

In the macro world.

#221096 Mar 24, 2014
wilderide wrote:
<quoted text>So then every claim made by every religion is equally valid?
Yup.

That being, not at all.

San Francisco

#221097 Mar 24, 2014
Aerobatty wrote:
<quoted text>
Jesus definitely screwed up by not having his disciples film his sermon on the mount. But then again God had not discovered camcorders yet.

Location hidden

#221098 Mar 24, 2014
Aerobatty wrote:
<quoted text>
Your premise that an "outside agent" had to begin the process is unsupported.
My evidence against the existence of the biblical god is the bible itself.
And that is just one form of many.
with all due respect, the bible is not for you.

The bible is for believers.

The bible is not necessary for belief in God. The patriarchs of the bible including abraham, issac, david, samuel many other prophets and others did not have written word. They believed in God because of their personal interaction with God.

In fact for many years the hebrews which eventually became the jews had no written word. The Torah came by moses. The Hebrew people was around hundreds of yrs before Moses and they believed in God without the writtten word.

So it's not even a basis for argument that you refuse to believe in bible God because of the contents of the bible. The preferred way for God to cause belief in God is for God to have personal interactions with believers. That is the preferred way of God.

Millions of Christians today in many countries don't have a bible because it's against the law. They had the gospel preached to them, they believed, God confirmed their belief with personal interaction whatever form that may be.

It may may sense to you that what's in the bible disproves God. To those that believe in Bible God, the bible is an optional tool for belief in God. So what makes sense to you is a throwaway to believers.

San Francisco

#221099 Mar 24, 2014
Aerobatty wrote:
<quoted text>
It's outside agents all the way down.
Seriously. The universe necessarily had to have a beginning, but God is infinite because I say so. Why can't the universe be infinite too? We might have evidence that this iteration of the universe had a beginning, but that doesn't mean it's not infinite, and it certainly doesn't mean that Quetzalcoatl, Ra, Brahman, or Jesus did it.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

NCAA Basketball Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 8 min Cheech the Conser... 1,508,085
News UCLA FOOTBALL NOTEBOOK: Neuheisel says Prince w... (Sep '10) 3 hr YeahPhart 32,814
News Thousands Protest Roe V. Wade Decision (Jan '08) 9 hr silly rabbit 313,638
News Western Michigan heads to Illinois as a favorite (Sep '16) Mar 16 MakePhartce 105
News North Carolina Governor Who Signed Bathroom Bil... Mar 15 Bath phart 2
What role do you think humans play in global wa... (Sep '14) Mar 14 Into The Night 11,123
NCAA Basketball Tournament Feb 27 needhelp01 1
More from around the web