Atheism requires as much faith as rel...

Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

There are 258461 comments on the Webbunny tumblelog story from Jul 18, 2009, titled Atheism requires as much faith as religion?. In it, Webbunny tumblelog reports that:

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Webbunny tumblelog.

“I see quantum effects”

Since: Jan 11

In the macro world.

#220712 Mar 21, 2014
KiMare wrote:
<quoted text>Oh my!

http://religion.blogs.cnn.com/2014/03/20/does...

"The prevalent theory of cosmic origins prior to the Big Bang theory was the “Steady State,” which argued that the universe has always existed, without a beginning that necessitated a cause.

However, this new evidence strongly suggests that there was a beginning to our universe.

If the universe did indeed have a beginning, by the simple logic of cause and effect, there had to be an agent – separate and apart from the effect – that caused it.

That sounds a lot like Genesis 1:1 to me:“In the beginning God created the heavens and the Earth.”

So this latest discovery is good news for us believers, as it adds scientific support to the idea that the universe was caused – or created – by something or someone outside it and not dependent on it.

MORE ON CNN: Big Bang breakthrough announced; gravitational waves detected

Atheist-turned-agnostic astronomer Fred Hoyle, who coined the term “Big Bang,” famously stated,“A common sense interpretation of the facts suggests that a superintellect has monkeyed with physics."

Smirk.
Saw that.

I've got to admit, they managed to find an angle a day or two sooner than I thought they would.

“I see quantum effects”

Since: Jan 11

In the macro world.

#220713 Mar 21, 2014
wilderide wrote:
<quoted text>OK, I see I have to break it down for you.

Let's say the universe had a first cause. So? That isn't evidence for the existence of any universe-creating deity ever posited by countless cultures on Earth. Or indeed any deity at all.
It doesn't matter HOW much we learn about the universe or life or anything else. No matter how small a gap we leave in our knowledge, they will ALWAYS manage to stuff their god into it somehow.

“KiMare'a the Monster Mutation”

Since: Nov 10

Location hidden

#220714 Mar 21, 2014
wilderide wrote:
<quoted text>
OK, I see I have to break it down for you.
Let's say the universe had a first cause. So? That isn't evidence for the existence of any universe-creating deity ever posited by countless cultures on Earth. Or indeed any deity at all.
Apparently scientists see it differently.

Oh, and rational atheist scientists do too. The first to assert the Big Bang now isn't so sure about God.

Interesting that countless cultures believe in the supernatural, but not one single culture has accepted ss couples as married for any length of time.

Smile.

“KiMare'a the Monster Mutation”

Since: Nov 10

Location hidden

#220715 Mar 21, 2014
Aerobatty wrote:
<quoted text>
Saw that.
I've got to admit, they managed to find an angle a day or two sooner than I thought they would.
'They'? The atheist scientist positer of the Big Bang saw the light right off the bat.

Smirk.

“"None shall pass"”

Since: Jul 11

There

#220716 Mar 21, 2014
Aerobatty wrote:
<quoted text>
It doesn't matter HOW much we learn about the universe or life or anything else. No matter how small a gap we leave in our knowledge, they will ALWAYS manage to stuff their god into it somehow.
Eventually there will be so little for "God" to do that "God" will be so small as to be classified as a virus.

“The true real is unseen”

Since: May 10

Location hidden

#220717 Mar 21, 2014
Aerobatty wrote:
<quoted text>
That's because there is no point to life without God. Knowledge and information is important. But until mankind finds a way to eliminate death, then all the theories in the world about how this universe and mankind came into existence is just mindless blather.

Death comes to everyone. Underline that. Death is the issue. And that is the reason why it does not matter how much knowledge there is, Religion will always be a top subject. Because religion is the only subject that deals with death and God. Science deals with life on earth and knowing. Science cannot compete with death. And that is why Science cannot compete with God. because most people believe after death, then God.

“Ditat Deus”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#220718 Mar 21, 2014
wilderide wrote:
<quoted text>
So you fall into the faith and works camp? Well, then by extension the sacrifice of Jesus was insufficient in itself.
Are you sure that is your final answer? I have lots of Bible quotes which say faith alone is sufficient.
So what? I have those same quotes.

A person can claim to have faith, or even believe that they have a strong faith in God, that doesn't mean they have a free pass to heaven.

If a person has faith in God but their actions show otherwise, that directly reflects their faith.

Let's put it in a nonreligious perspective that you might better understand. Say a person claims to be a patriotic American, but the only patriotism they show is when they barbecue hotdogs on the Fourth of July. Would you agree that there claim is true?

“"None shall pass"”

There

#220719 Mar 21, 2014
Phantom2010 wrote:
<quoted text> That's because there is no point to life without God.......
Holy Shit!

Your life must really suck.

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#220720 Mar 21, 2014
wilderide wrote:
<quoted text>
Sorry, but your reply made no sense. Let's try again, shall we?
If God knows your fate in advance, then obviously you have no free will. If you really had free will, then you could surprise God, and God could be wrong.
You're looking at it in an elementary linear perspective. You're thinking says that your life is a straight line and all of your actions are predetermined, how do you know that's true?

Because I believe that God is omnipotent and omniscient, I believe that God can see any and all possibilities that your life could take and the path your life does take.

Your actions are your own, the possibilities are endless.

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#220721 Mar 21, 2014
wilderide wrote:
<quoted text>
I trust my intuition to a degree, but certainly not more than anything. Turns out, facts are more likely to be right than intuition.
Skepticism is not simply doubting the truth of something, It is also the expectation that claims are upheld by objective evidence. You are correct that skepticism in itself does not confirm or falsify anything. It is a tool, in fact the first one that should be used, to determine whether something is true or false. Without skepticism you would simply believe everything presented to you. So everyone uses skepticism to some degree; I just don't see why one would be afraid to apply it consistently.
Then why are you so called skeptics only skeptical of religion?

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#220722 Mar 21, 2014
wilderide wrote:
<quoted text>
You've never seen any evidence that I've applied skepticism before? Well, I think that get's back to those reading and comprehension issues of yours that we've discussed in the past.
Here is a formula for you:

Rationality + consciousness = free will.

Actually, it's the title of a book, you should check it out.

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#220723 Mar 21, 2014
Aerobatty wrote:
<quoted text>
Ooooo...
Good comeback.
Your kids help you with that?
No, I came up with that on my own.

You and my boot are equally atheist.

Congratulations.

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#220724 Mar 21, 2014
River Tam wrote:
You talk to your boot?
It gets more ass than I do, if you know what I mean...

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#220725 Mar 21, 2014
wilderide wrote:

If you take free will away, then the whole house of cards falls down.
Which is why atheists try so hard to prove that free will doesn't exist.

Y'all aren't doing a very good job at it.

“"None shall pass"”

There

#220726 Mar 21, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Here is a formula for you:
Rationality + consciousness = free will.
Actually, it's the title of a book, you should check it out.
Still waiting for you to provide that velocity formula.

Are you a coward a liar or a moron ?

BTW, where are those gnats you claim you can get "God" to create for you at will.

"Since a witch can't create gnats from nothing that proves their religion is false." - RR

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#220727 Mar 21, 2014
Darwins Stepchild wrote:
<quoted text>
Your point?
The board, 3 people or 20, is still a misogynistic bunch of bigoted a-holes.
And its congregation is a bunch of 40 more bigoted a-holes.
I see you are making excuses again. You do that a lot, for the most egregious behavior of the religious.
The point is, you lied.

You said "the church" excommunicated Phelps, not "his church".

You atheists have done everything you can to make it painfully obvious that when you say "the church", you don't mean a particular church, you mean "Christian doctrine" and "Christianity".

The point.

“"None shall pass"”

There

#220728 Mar 21, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Which is why atheists try so hard to prove that free will doesn't exist....
There you go lying again.

You are the one claiming that life is deterministic otherwise all prophecies could be contravened.

“e pluribus unum”

Since: Dec 10

primus inter pares

#220729 Mar 21, 2014
Aerobatty wrote:
<quoted text>
How does homosexual sex affect you?
Are they doing it on your couch?
I thought about it...once, but it didn't happen
Apparently lesbians don't crave me like I crave thier body parts..

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#220730 Mar 21, 2014
Aerobatty wrote:
As soon as your kind proves that God doesn't exist, then you can bitch.

Until then, you have to accept that you & I have opposite beliefs.

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#220731 Mar 21, 2014
BenAdam wrote:
<quoted text>
Eventually there will be so little for "God" to do that "God" will be so small as to be classified as a virus.
"I'm a fortune teller." -Ben

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

NCAA Basketball Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 9 min cathy1691823 1,479,513
What role do you think humans play in global wa... (Sep '14) 29 min Into The Night 10,689
News UCLA FOOTBALL NOTEBOOK: Neuheisel says Prince w... (Sep '10) 13 hr Trojan 32,714
News Thousands Protest Roe V. Wade Decision (Jan '08) 16 hr Susanm 313,195
News Western Michigan heads to Illinois as a favorite 21 hr Go Blue Forever 75
legitimate loan lender (Oct '13) 22 hr louis 19
News Judge overturns California's ban on same-sex ma... (Aug '10) Jan 15 RiccardoFire 201,892
More from around the web