Atheism requires as much faith as rel...

Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

There are 247579 comments on the Webbunny tumblelog story from Jul 18, 2009, titled Atheism requires as much faith as religion?. In it, Webbunny tumblelog reports that:

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Webbunny tumblelog.

tricki

Boyertown, PA

#220464 Mar 20, 2014
FOOLS know their science.

How did we get here?
I don't know.
Well, thank you for that. No idea, huh?
No clue. Science only confirms that something never comes from nothing (God exists and is eternal and made everything except Himself, by definition.) Our best science tells us the universe was created about 13.8 billion years ago.
Got it. Science points to a creator.
tricki

Boyertown, PA

#220466 Mar 20, 2014
Space Ripples Reveal Big Bang’s Smoking Gun

If true, the rapid engorgement would solve paradoxes like why the heavens look uniform from pole to pole and not like a jagged, warped mess. The enormous ballooning would iron out all the wrinkles and irregularities. Those particles were not missing, but would be diluted beyond detection, like spit in the ocean.

“SPECTACULAR REALIZATION,” Dr. Guth wrote across the top of the page and drew a double box around it.

On Monday, Dr. Guth’s starship came in. Radio astronomers reported that they had seen the beginning of the Big Bang, and that his hypothesis, known undramatically as inflation, looked right.

Reaching back across 13.8 billion years to the first sliver of cosmic time with telescopes at the South Pole, a team of astronomers led by John M. Kovac of the Harvard-Smithsonian Center for Astrophysics detected ripples in the fabric of space-time — so-called gravitational waves — the signature of a universe being wrenched violently apart when it was roughly a trillionth of a trillionth of a trillionth of a second old. They are the long-sought smoking-gun evidence of inflation, proof, Dr. Kovac and his colleagues say, that Dr. Guth was correct.

Inflation has been the workhorse of cosmology for 35 years, though many, including Dr. Guth, wondered whether it could ever be proved.

If corroborated, Dr. Kovac’s work will stand as a landmark in science comparable to the recent discovery of dark energy pushing the universe apart, or of the Big Bang itself. It would open vast realms of time and space and energy to science and speculation.

Confirming inflation would mean that the universe we see, extending 14 billion light-years in space with its hundreds of billions of galaxies, is only an infinitesimal patch in a larger cosmos whose extent, architecture and fate are unknowable. Moreover, beyond our own universe there might be an endless number of other universes bubbling into frothy eternity, like a pot of pasta water boiling over.

Most of the hundred or so models resulting from Dr. Guth’s original vision suggest that inflation, ONCE STARTED, is eternal. Even as our own universe settled down to a comfortable homey expansion, the rest of the cosmos will continue blowing up, spinning off other bubbles endlessly, a concept known as the multiverse. Instead he discovered what might have made the universe bang to begin with. A potential hitch in the presumed course of cosmic evolution could have infused space itself with a special energy that exerted a repulsive force, causing the universe to swell faster than the speed of light for a prodigiously violent instant.
Space Ripples Reveal Big Bang’s Smoking Gun
Dennis Overbye
NYT
3/17/2014

"ONCE STARTED" So, we are back where we started from. ladies and gentlemen. Tough to beat out God, when being honest
EdSed

Wishaw, UK

#220467 Mar 20, 2014
Religion = superstition
Theology = mythology

There are no such things as gods or fairies.

“Credulity is not a virtue”

Since: Apr 09

San Francisco

#220468 Mar 20, 2014
It aint necessarily so wrote:
Has everybody heard that the Westboro Baptist Church patriarch Fred Phelps has graced us by leaving the planet? Will the VFW bring a contingent to his funeral to defecate on his grave during the ceremony carrying sings saying "God hates you"?
I just read that myself. I am hoping (praying?) that there is a huge protest at his funeral.

“"None shall pass"”

Since: Jul 11

There

#220469 Mar 20, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Thanks, purfesir.
Another no school day in PA?
I have been on medical leave since X-mas.

Figure out that velocity formula yet ?

“New one man.”

Since: Jan 11

Location hidden

#220470 Mar 20, 2014
Has everybody heard that the Westboro Baptist Church patriarch Fred Phelps has graced us by leaving the planet? Will the VFW bring a contingent to his funeral to defecate on his grave during the ceremony carrying sings saying "God hates you"?
One part of me wants absolutely no one to show up, saying basically we don't care.
The other part of me is hoping there are thousands who show up with signs celebrating one less hate filled moron on the planet.

“What are you looking at?”

Since: Jan 08

Albuquerque, NM

#220471 Mar 20, 2014
New Age Spiritual Leader wrote:
"It is based on total commitment to Jesus Christ in spite of earthly circumstances or temptations."
- and not to include these....huh?
http://www.gnosis.org/naghamm/gt_pat_rob.htm
Please respond with why you don't believe this gospel?
lightbeamrider wrote:
<quoted text> You did not address my points and now you bring up GoThomas which we already discussed and as I recall you bailed.

Yes I did. You state you believe in Jesus. I pointed out that you didn't.

Don't try to avoid this.

Please post my post that shows "I bailed".

I think you are making things up, just to cover your own arse.
lightbeamrider wrote:
<quoted text> If you never sincerely believed Jesus Christ bodily resurrected then you never were a Christian in the first place. Its not about the conduct of others or any of all that you brought up earlier. It's about one event in history. Resurrection.
So you believe that a man rose from the dead.

Here are some others that "rose from the dead" that you don't believe. Why not? Because they are not Jesus? Because someone told you not to believe them?

http://theweek.com/article/index/228986/7-biz...
lightbeamrider wrote:
<quoted text> Go ahead and do your thing, whatever it is and you can meditate on GoThomas all you want.
I will - as you should too - that is, if you believe Jesus.
lightbeamrider wrote:
<quoted text> Point being it did not make the cut. It has oddball sayings, there is no context to any of the sayings. There are other reasons. Nobody except perhaps you and a few flakes gives a rat's as# about GoThomas.
"It didn't make the cut".....to correct your statement - "It didn't make the cut as decided by men."
- Please post where "God" specifically states which texts are of "His" inspiration and those that are not, to show "it didn't make the cut".

"Nobody except perhaps you and a few flakes gives a rat's as# about GoThomas."
- and there it is - the name-calling from a so-called "Christian".
- Your opinion shows how much you follow men, instead of Jesus.

“Ditat Deus”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#220472 Mar 20, 2014
River Tam wrote:
<quoted text>
Michael Richardson was great in Seinfeld.
When you went to the local Board of Education and asked them to change the science books, what was their answer?
"Be gone! Satan!"

Or something like that.

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#220473 Mar 20, 2014
River Tam wrote:
<quoted text>
I never get stuck on bush. There are lotions for that.
I've revised the old saying, "the carpet matches the drapes".

It's; "there is no carpet".

“Life may be sweeter for this”

Since: Nov 08

Fennario

#220474 Mar 20, 2014
Buck Crick wrote:
There are fewer people employed today than when Bush left office. That's with Obama spending over a trillion dollars of taxpayer money on "economic stimulus", and the Federal Reserve printing an additional $85 billion dollars per month for stimulus.
I have a solution:Elect a Republican. That always works out pretty well.

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#220475 Mar 20, 2014
Phelps is dead?!

*googles*

Hallelujah!!!!

Let's hope he likes Satan.

“The Bible is no science book”

Location hidden

#220476 Mar 20, 2014
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
But the moths don't rest on the tree trunks.
They glued their feet to the tree trunks and snapped pictures.
Also, the moths they used were laboratory bred and raised. The laboratory moths were so lifeless when they got to the cold forest, they had to warm them up on the hood of Dr. Kettlewell's car.
I don't know what kind of car it was, or what color. They didn't write that up in the research.
Most moths do hide in daylight in the cracks of the bark of trees and they are so well camouflaged that you never notice them.

http://www.millerandlevine.com/km/evol/Moths/...

You just want to be stubborn. I just now went to google, cause I had heard about Kettlewells moths years ago but I wanted to find a new one and this one covers the "fake" issue.

Fennario

#220477 Mar 20, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
It's very telling of scientists and evolution-pushers to use debunked and fraudulent 'science' to prove evolution happens. You'll get evolution-pushers like Michael Richardson, a purfesir of evolution, saying that "on a fundamental level, Haeckel was correct". It's in high school science books today, even though it was debunked half a century ago. Go figure.
Oh. Should I be concerned? Should I change anything, like maybe start going to church?

“The Bible is no science book”

Location hidden

#220478 Mar 20, 2014
If not, they certainly should. And a brass band besides to get the most attention while they sh*t on his grave, one person at a time.

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#220479 Mar 20, 2014
BenAdam wrote:
<quoted text>
I have been on medical leave since X-mas.
Figure out that velocity formula yet ?
"X-mas"?! Don't you mean "Holiday Day"?

Yes.

You push the long pedal on the right and you increase velocity.

Fennario

#220480 Mar 20, 2014
MixedMedia wrote:
One part of me wants absolutely no one to show up, saying basically we don't care. The other part of me is hoping there are thousands who show up with signs celebrating one less hate filled moron on the planet.
I think that almost everybody can agree with that, whatever you theology or politics.

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#220481 Mar 20, 2014
<quoted text>
Oh. Should I be concerned? Should I change anything, like maybe start going to church?
You could be skeptical.

That's be a good start.

https://www.google.com/imgres...

Albuquerque, NM

#220482 Mar 20, 2014
Skombolis wrote:
<quoted text>
So you can use the word 'many' to qualify without clarifying or saying how many but i can't? You actually used the word directly after giving me the little speech on why I should have clarified when using the word.
And I don't agree that many leave before adulthood. Even if people have thought about it, most don't leave till getting out on their own either due to laziness or because they no longer go to appease their parents. There are not a lot of high-school kids in my experience researching religions and making life choices about it as they mostly are thinking about having sex and partying. When they get older they start taking a much more proactive role in their faith rather than simply having it directed as their parents. I doubt you could find more than 1 or 2 out of 10 ex-Christians out of every 10 on Topix that left before 18. And either way, neither of us can prove it or know for sure so what's the point?
Correct - what's the point - you believe that people left religion in adulthood - and I will go on believing that you are incorrect.
Life choices are made by men.....not by any "God".
Skombolis wrote:
<quoted text>
That;s the thing, nobody really knows what you believe or why. Yet you love to tell others they are wrong but don't have the courage to put your own beliefs out their to explain or to have exposed to scrutiny
...only to those that aren't paying attention or reading what I write, or they are too arrogant to even open a book outside of the Bible, and they would rather believe men over what Jesus taught.
"to know yourself is to know the kingdom of God" - has nothing to do with....
"Know your Bible or you will go to hell."
Skombolis wrote:
<quoted text>
I don't know which I find more amusing. Your arrogance as to the beliefs of others or your rationalizations for why you can't explain your beliefs as it would be too much information to post! I'm not searching through your back posts to show you what you just demonstrated here which is excuses for why you can't say what you believe.
But lets just deal with one issue then.
"Amusing"?
"Arrogance"?
a. I explain my beliefs very well. I'm sorry you can't understand them. Maybe you should research what I state before exposing your own ignorance to the subject matter.
b. Finding a little laughter in what I write? Good.....there is at times.

<<continued>>

Albuquerque, NM

#220483 Mar 20, 2014
<<ontin to Skombolis>>
Skombolis wrote:
<quoted text>
1) You say you believe everything Jesus said in and out of the Bible. What are your sources for what He said out of the Bible?
Ah yes, this ol' "Christian" tactic - applying the reasons why men who are outside of the biblical texts are not inspired, yet not one so-called "Christian" can claim to know where "God" had inspired only certain individuals.
- Yes Skom - you literally stated, without saying it openly - that you only believe the Bible, and those books as chosen by men.
Thank you for proving my point yet again.
Skombolis wrote:
<quoted text>
2) And do you only believe the parts of the Bible that talk about Jesus and do you at least believe the entire book of the Bible such as the gospels that talk about him? Or do you believe some parts of some books and how do you decide which are true?
- I think the Bible as a whole is a story of lives. Intertwined with others, yet quite incomplete.
- Since we all, only have second-hand sources of what Jesus said, it is now our requirement to accept or deny what is useful in our lives and which are not. I find Jesus' words more endearing that I do Deuteronomy and Leviticus. You seem to think those two texts are "truthful" and "from God". I disagree.
- How does one determine "truth" in a biblical story?
+ Good question - one that has been asked since the biblical stories were written. I guess it goes back to - "Where does God state which books are of His inspiration and which are not" - so an individual truly knows what they are supposed to use and what they are not.
If you are honest - you would openly admit - there is not specific text, therefore, only men have deemed a certain text as "inspired" and other texts as not. No "God" involved.
- and another fact that would dismiss your question altogether.
Skombolis wrote:
<quoted text>
3) And how have you not made up your own religion if you are the only one that follows it?
Since you seem to know what religion I beleive - what exactly would that be?
Just because I have different beliefs than you, that means I've created a new religion?
I think you are trying to find fault in me, because you are too afraid to admit your own.
Skombolis wrote:
<quoted text>
Just the 3 questions I asked. I bet you won't answer them all in directly though
What I just asked.
Looks like you shouldn't rely on your "what ifs" or "I betcha you won't" attitude.....as you can see - it didn't get you anywhere - except making up false conclusions about others.

“The eye has it...”

Since: May 09

Russell's Teapot

#220484 Mar 20, 2014
Buck Crick wrote:
I already provided the excerpt from Miller's book. You should believe his book about his book.
hahaaa ...... Talk about a circular argument.
Buck Crick wrote:
A rebuttal of Wells book, chapter by chapter, and it's completely free.
http://www.talkorigins.org/faqs/wells/iconob....

More critiques of Wells book.

http://scienceblogs.com/aetiology/2007/01/31/...
http://scienceblogs.com/pharyngula/2007/01/24...
http://scienceblogs.com/pharyngula/2007/01/25...
http://www.pandasthumb.org/archives/2004/03/m...

Wells own admission and words concerning his motivation:

"I asked God what He wanted me to do with my life, and the answer came not only through my prayers, but also through Father's[Sun Myung Moon] many talks to us, and through my studies. Father[Sun Myung Moon] encouraged us to set our sights high and accomplish great things.

He[Sun Myung Moon] also spoke out against the evils in the world; among them, he[Sun Myung Moon] frequently criticized Darwin's theory that living things originated without God's purposeful, creative activity. My studies included modern theologians who took Darwinism for granted and thus saw no room for God's involvement in nature or history; in the process, they re- interpreted the fall, the incarnation, and even God as products of human imagination. Father's[Sun Myung Moon] words, my studies, and my prayers convinced me that I should devote my life to destroying Darwinism"
http://tinyurl.com/nqr2w59

He's a fricken moonie.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

NCAA Basketball Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 12 min USAsince1680 1,277,656
What role do you think humans play in global wa... (Sep '14) 15 min SpaceBlues 6,942
News UCLA FOOTBALL NOTEBOOK: Neuheisel says Prince w... (Sep '10) 44 min stewart scott 29,956
News Thousands Protest Roe V. Wade Decision (Jan '08) 10 hr cpeter1313 310,234
News Judge overturns California's ban on same-sex ma... (Aug '10) Tue Pastor Pete 201,864
Conn's Appliances (Nov '07) Aug 20 Jcrombie67 282
Hoophall Invitational - Miami Aug 17 Hoophall 1
More from around the web