Atheism requires as much faith as rel...

Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

There are 256111 comments on the Webbunny tumblelog story from Jul 18, 2009, titled Atheism requires as much faith as religion?. In it, Webbunny tumblelog reports that:

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Webbunny tumblelog.

“True Blue”

Since: Jun 13

Sunburnt Country

#220010 Mar 18, 2014
Divinity Surgeon wrote:
<quoted text>
I wondered if you were even talking about or to Skumbucket. Didn't think so.
Poor, persecuted lil chook.
Hey Rosa :-)
Gday mate.:-)

I don't bother with him usually. Good nickname, BTW.

As a mother living in Qld, I'm sure you'll agree that Cowan is exactly where he belongs for the next 20 years. I heard that the other prisoners will bash him on sight, even be regarded as a dog for NOT doing so. It couldn't happen to a nicer bloke.-/

Since: Dec 12

Yes, I'm an Atheist.

#220011 Mar 18, 2014
Rosa_Winkel wrote:
<quoted text>Gday mate.:-)

I don't bother with him usually. Good nickname, BTW.

As a mother living in Qld, I'm sure you'll agree that Cowan is exactly where he belongs for the next 20 years. I heard that the other prisoners will bash him on sight, even be regarded as a dog for NOT doing so. It couldn't happen to a nicer bloke.-/
Agreed, the case has even reopened the topic of death sentences again. Twenty years isn't enough.

“The Bible is no science book”

Since: Jan 08

Location hidden

#220012 Mar 18, 2014
lightbeamrider wrote:
One More. Sunday AM Church Crowd. Am only revealing this because it brings back so many memories.
I was a server at a large chain restaurant for about a year to pay for college. I absolutely loved the restaurant industry due to the fast pace and getting to know many different people. Although it was hard work, I always believed it was worth it. When I first started waitressing all of my coworkers would say “avoid sundays at all cost” and hurtful things like “church goers never tip.” I, being a Christian, was very offended by this. I always believed Christians were the most generous and understanding people, but to my dismay I was wrong. Most sundays, I would serve large parties of people between 6-30 . I will never forget last Easter, when a group of 40 church goers came to eat lunch. Since it was such a large party, my coworker and I decided to tackle the table together so they would receive the best customer service and I would then share my tip with her. Well after 2 hours of refilling 40+ cups, making sure everyones order was perfect, and everyone was satisfied I was ready to get off and enjoy my Sunday with my family. To my dismay, the table of 40 people only left $3 which I had to split with my coworker. I have never felt so upset. One lady even wrote down “If I don’t tip God over 10% why should I tip you?” I have never felt so hurt and frustrated with my family of Christ. I wish people would understand being a server is a job and we try our hardest to make sure you have the best experience with your family, the least we ask for is appreciation and respect.
I think its just an excuse to be the cheap prick they really are.

“The Bible is no science book”

Since: Jan 08

Location hidden

#220013 Mar 18, 2014
Six_Of_One wrote:
<quoted text>
I like you when you are polite :-).
You know, I had a boyfriend who simply had the hardest timing 'finishing' during sex unless I would turn around and suck on his big toe while he climaxed. I don't know WHY he needed that! My point is that what turns people on is different and individual for each person.
For some, the natural urge includes anal sex for others having their big toe sucked during sex. And for others, plain old missionary. I don't believe ANY of these are 'unnatural'- they simply are what make sex fun for different folks. And I am pretty sure my mind won't be changed on this. And I also think I am in the majority of opinion on this as well, but agree to disagree works fine for me.
After a woman has had several babies, some times the man just wants something a little tighter. At least my husband did. Not all the time but sometimes.

“I started out with nothing”

Since: Nov 10

and still got most of it left

#220014 Mar 18, 2014
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
You are a buffoon and a liar. Stalin was a dedicated atheist. Everyone knows this.
You call Stalin a Christian and the Pope an atheist.
I just realized the depth of you dumbness.
Wrong.

Stalin was not atheist, never mind dedicated. You actually have no understanding of the history of the period and so make sh|te up to make your self feel better about your own ignorance. Nope, not everyone knows this, only a few American godbot liars believe they know this because they do not want to be associated with his actions. You have nothing to prove you point only buck pedantism and foot stomping, you have even attempted to impose a committee directive as his own admission, i.e. a direct and provable lie.

As for calling the pope atheist, I have asked you repeatedly to show me where I made such a statement and repeatedly you have been unable to do so, why because you are a liar and made it up for no other reason than you had you a$$ spanked (again). That’s why.

It seems that you have been tanking note of the words of some infamous people

"A lie told often enough becomes the truth”- Vladimir Lenin

"If you tell a lie big enough and keep repeating it, people will eventually come to believe it”- Joseph Goebbels

You are keeping good company.

“Ditat Deus”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#220015 Mar 18, 2014
Six_Of_One wrote:
<quoted text>
That is a big difference. Atheists want to KNOW they aren't worshipping something made up and false.They are not willing to accept a religion without reasons to do so.
Atheist want to know the truth, theists want to believe in a religion. It is a fundamental personality difference of how people approach religion. Atheists are actually more open-minded because they can understand that they could be wrong about what they think they know - theist do not believe they could ever be wrong about their religion of choice.
I disagree.

Atheists want to know they're right.

Too bad they never will.

“H-o-o-o-o-o-o-ld on thar!”

Since: Sep 08

The Borderland of Sol

#220016 Mar 18, 2014
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
Those statements do not qualify one as an atheist.
An atheist is one who believes no god exists.
Ah, yes. Another favorite from the Fundie Top Ten: "Let me tell you what you think".

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#220017 Mar 18, 2014
Darwins Stepchild wrote:
<quoted text>
No. I have trust in what I have done in experiments of my own, and the fact that they are in agreement with the results given in this.
Plus I know how competitive the field of science is and that if someone publishes something false, there will always be another scientist there to jump all over them and point out their mistakes.
This is unlike religion which never tests itself against reality, discourages questioning questioning, and goes out of its way to "confirm" what is already believed and never ever upset the religious apple cart.
But we fully understand that you have never even taken a high school, pre-calculus, physics course...let alone a course in quantum mechanics or relativity. We don't expect you to have the vaguest clue what is being talked about here.
But, proving the Dunning-Kruger Effect, you feel fully qualified to spout off about it.
You've done experiments on the big bang?

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#220018 Mar 18, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:

Oh.
Versus the FLAMING non-gay homosexual?
Bob of Quantum-Faith wrote:
Yep... you got it.
o.O

#220019 Mar 18, 2014
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
Now that you taught us the Pope is an atheist, you break the news that Stalin was a Chrisitian.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joseph_Stalin
"Raised in the Georgian Orthodox faith, Stalin became an ATHEIST. He followed the position that religion was an opiate that needed to be removed in order to construct the ideal communist society. His government promoted ATHEISM through special ATHEISTIC education in schools, anti-religious propaganda, the antireligious work of public institutions (Society of the Godless), discriminatory laws, and a terror campaign against religious believers. By the late 1930s it had become dangerous to be publicly associated with religion."
Wikipedia? Jeesoos fooking christ on a crutch, that’s even worse than your usual discovery institute crap and your personal copy of encyclopedia Britannica cherry picking.

Please note that your reference has been edited without citation over 250 times in the last 12 month

http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php...

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#220020 Mar 18, 2014
Bob of Quantum-Faith wrote:
<quoted text>
Yep. I'm mostly straight.
In fact?**ALL** humans operate on a continuum between the two-- NO ONE is purely at either end.
Humans are a bit more complex than **your** flat "understanding" of human behavior.
Ya, you've told me. The whole 99.9% atheist thing.

The Topix Atheist! notion of atheistic theism.

The Borderland of Sol

#220021 Mar 18, 2014
Rosa_Winkel wrote:
<quoted text>
Happy Paddy's Day, mate. At least someone isn't a complete drongo here.
:-D

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#220022 Mar 18, 2014
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
Did you know Mother Theresa was also an atheist?
Christine claims the entire Catholic Church is atheist, so that would include MT.
According to Blob, she was only 99.687% atheist.

He's on to us.

#220023 Mar 18, 2014
Buck Crick wrote:
ChristineM wrote:
<quoted text>
Christinemc^2: "Stalin was a nationalist and a christian."
Joseph Stalin: "You know, they are fooling us, there is no God...all this talk about God is sheer nonsense"
....bwaaahahahahahahahahahahha .....
Yes and?

One sentence compared to a whole life in which he was raised in the christian tradition, tipped for the priesthood. He destroyed the corruption of the Russian church imposed by the Tsars and after his rise to power was instrumental in the rebuilding of that church and it’s institutions.

Honey, I really would not mind betting you have forsworn you god at some time in your life, particularly when you dropped the soap in the prison showers. Or when your son was screaming “daddy stop it” loud enough to register in your thick skull while you were butt fooking him.

#220024 Mar 18, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
And the Pope is an atheist....
Y'all is crazy.
Is he? Funny buck keeps lying that I said that when it was you all along.

But hey, you love licking his a$$ so you got to agree with his lies – right?

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#220025 Mar 18, 2014
It aint necessarily so wrote:
<quoted text>
Blind faith would be believing that the Genesis creation story is factual because the bible says so. Believing an article in Scientific American is justified. The difference is their track records, which is evidence. Also, the two types of belief are different in their degree. Faith in the bible is not only not justified by evidence (blind), it is absolute. The trust in Scientific American is tentative, supported by reports in other sources, and would disappear if their standards fell.
You probably should stop comparing the two. It never world out well for religious faith.
=========
Notice that another prophecy of science was just confirmed - the second one this decade (the Higgs boson being the first).
When you find something like gravity waves exactly where you expected to find them with devices designed to look precisely where they were predicted by theory to be found, you have evidence that takes you FAR beyond blind faith.
“Think of how many religions attempt to validate themselves with prophecy. Think of how many people rely on these prophecies, however vague, however unfulfilled, to support or prop up their beliefs. Yet has there ever been a religion with the prophetic accuracy and reliability of science?”- Carl Sagan
Oh.

"All hail Science"?

Nah, not for me. Science is wrong far more often that it is right.

But it's nice to know that you too take scientific magazine articles on blind faith.

#220026 Mar 18, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
I have never condoned the IRA.
I didn't even know who they were until you told me. At first, I thought you were talking about an Individual Retirement Account.
Yes you did, after you were told who they are and what they did you excused there actions to a storm of protest form several other posters that caused you to chicken out

But hey we all know you are a lying T\/\/AT who can’t get it up for a woman.

#220027 Mar 18, 2014
Skombolis wrote:
<quoted text>I haven't said anything even remotely close to it should stay hidden because its a church or priest. In fact I have said the opposite repeatedly and said any abuse in the church should be exposed and I want to see a bigger effort to expose all abuse and not just the abuse some feel is "newsworthy" because to the victims, its terrible no matter where it happened.
Maybe on the 4th try you can figure out a way to make this a disagreement? Sheesh
I am not disagreeing with you, I am questioning your excuse of the church on the grounds that it does not happen much.

The Borderland of Sol

#220028 Mar 18, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
You've done experiments on the big bang?
*sigh*

"A team of astrophysicists has announced a sighting of gravitational waves – formed in the first trillionth of a trillionth of a trillionth of a second after the universe as we know it blinked into existence.
The breakthrough discovery throws enormous weight behind the famous Big Bang theory. The boffins must be expecting a call from the Nobel Prize panel in Sweden."

Article here: http://www.theregister.co.uk/2014/03/17/gravi ...

You're runnin' out of gap.

#220029 Mar 18, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
If there was evidence, there's be no reason to believe.
Then all the average christian has to do is admit that it is belief as opposed to claiming it is “Truth”

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

NCAA Basketball Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 14 min Realtime 1,406,029
News UCLA FOOTBALL NOTEBOOK: Neuheisel says Prince w... (Sep '10) Wed Trojan 32,308
News Thousands Protest Roe V. Wade Decision (Jan '08) Wed ThomasA 311,496
What role do you think humans play in global wa... (Sep '14) Wed IB DaMann 9,991
News Judge overturns California's ban on same-sex ma... (Aug '10) Jul 25 NotInPotatoQuality 201,878
legitimate loan lender (Oct '13) Jul 21 Ceren 7
What Ever Happen To Niagara Basketball (May '15) Jul 17 Disappointed PE 3
More from around the web