Atheism requires as much faith as rel...

Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

There are 247812 comments on the Webbunny tumblelog story from Jul 18, 2009, titled Atheism requires as much faith as religion?. In it, Webbunny tumblelog reports that:

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Webbunny tumblelog.

“Ditat Deus”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#219295 Mar 14, 2014
Clearwater wrote:
<quoted text>Have you ever had dealings with a close friend or family member that had an addiction? I ask becuase my wife and I just marked 2 years where her brother died from it (drinking) He had years of countless chances and pushed each one and everyone away. At some point help isn't compassion when its not wanted. I doubt any here have not heard the gospel of Jesus Christ. If its not the way some want to go so be it.
Your brother-in-law died from drinking? What did he drink and how much?

Since: Sep 10

San Francisco, CA

#219296 Mar 14, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
I've also got the love of God, a smart and beautiful wife, two smart and strong sons (one of which will be joining the US Army soon), a loving family, a warm and inviting home, a good job, wonderful pets, good friends, good health, safety and security.
Don't be jealous, mr bath house.
Ba...ba....ba.......ba........ ..loney.

“I see quantum effects”

Since: Jan 11

In the macro world.

#219297 Mar 14, 2014
wilderide wrote:
<quoted text>If you think God's Gospel is so glorious then why do you ignore it? You are no more Christian than I am.
Probably less so.

“I see quantum effects”

In the macro world.

#219298 Mar 14, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>I do, always.
No you don't.

“let's do this thang!”

Since: Aug 10

Location hidden

#219299 Mar 14, 2014
wilderide wrote:
<quoted text>
If you think God's Gospel is so glorious then why do you ignore it? You are no more Christian than I am.
i can say with all my heart "JESUS IS GOD COME IN THE FLESH"

can you?:-)

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#219300 Mar 14, 2014
Catcher1 wrote:
Ba...ba....ba.......ba........ ..loney.
You mean bologna, doncha?

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#219301 Mar 14, 2014
Aerobatty wrote:
No you don't.
Oh.

“KiMare'a the Monster Mutation”

Since: Nov 10

Location hidden

#219302 Mar 14, 2014
IPSEC wrote:
<quoted text>Warned me about what, that you would quote mine Wikipedia and provide no citations for your feeble effort?
Here, I'll help you. That is from E. Yaroslavsky, Landmarks in the Life of Stalin, Foreign Languages Publishing House, Moscow 1940
This book makes many claims about Stalin, the most remarkable one being bandied about by Apologetics, Inc. that reading Darwin turned Stalin into a malevolent dictator. With such an absurd claim, against the prevailing evidence, the quote must be considered unreliable.
Stalin rejected evolution and believed it was biased in favor of Capitalism. Darwin, to Stalin, was eugenics and Nazism He denounced genetics and evolution together as "the whore of capitalism" and supressed any research into it. Stalin oppossed Darwin's theory in favor of Trofim Lysenko's Lamarckianism, which clearly stated that Mendelian genetics was counter to party doctrine.
Compiled from "The Gathering Storm," ch. 8,(1948) Wintston Churchill - Mariner Books
Once again, however, the point eludes you. Stalin harnessed religion in his favor, first squashing it and then using it as a tool for subjugation. That is the true danger of belief. This has already been illustrated to you quite clearly, but, instead, you chose some flippant exercise in futility as a ridiculous "gotcha moment" that gotcha nowhere.
You're quite pathetic.
Wait, an atheist hijacks religion, perverts and uses the trust it endues, and that make religion dangerous???

Gotta love those 'rational atheist' oxymorons...

Snicker.
Enigma

Europe

#219303 Mar 14, 2014
jezuz is the ultimate cokzsuker, he proves that to me every day

“What are you looking at?”

Since: Jan 08

Albuquerque, NM

#219304 Mar 14, 2014
kombolis originally wrote:
"But I have always found the predictable pattern of many that have left the faith to be interesting to say the least
Many ex-Christians did not leave the faith until well into adulthood. Some were born-again. Some preached. Some knew the Bible well as a believer. Almost all claim to have been true believers
Yet when they leave the faith..
1) They first go thru a period of doubt
2) Then go from believer to unbeliever
3) Then go from just unbeliever but someone who claims to know the faith is wrong
4) Then becomes someone who mocks people for believing things they claim on their face are so obviously untrue despite the fact that they were intelligent adults who knew their Bible and believed"
Skombolis wrote:
<quoted text>What are you talking about?
Your post.
Skombolis wrote:
<quoted text>First of all, how does my perception of self have anything to do with people once believing something strongly well into adulthood and then once leaving mocking others that still believe because somehow after they left with the attitude its obviously wrong and only an idiot couldn't see that despite the fact they didn't see it for most their life in some cases?
You implied a theory. I added my opinion. Everything you say or do is related to the Self. What makes you think your thoughts were not?

<<<continued> >>

Albuquerque, NM

#219305 Mar 14, 2014
<<<contiued to Skombolis>>>
Skombolis wrote:
<quoted text>2) I wasn't talking about about everyone that leaves the faith
Are you going to clarify your statement then? Which individuals? How many?
You did say 'many" - without any numbers attached.
"Many ex-Christians did not leave the faith until well into adulthood.Z"
Skombolis wrote:
<quoted text>3) And since I was talking about people that didn't leave until well into adulthood, how did you manage to make this about you since you left at age 14? Nor was it about people testing out different faiths
I was showing you that your perception is skewed.
Many people don't wait until adulthood to leave religion. Many do before they are adults like me. That was my point.
Skombolis wrote:
<quoted text>And "so-called Christians are false individuals"? LOL whatever. I'm sure you are convinced the religion you made up for yourself is correct.
I didn't make up any religion. Where did you get that from? If I did create a religion, what is it called?
Skombolis wrote:
<quoted text>I really could care less. If you were as comfortable in your choices as you would have people believe then it makes no sense that most your focus is on the faith you left.
Incorrect. I have no faith in religion. But I do carry a faith in statements made in antiquity that can are beneficial to people today. Different ways to look at it. Different perceptions. You seem ot stick with the negative reasons, I'll stick with the positives.
I'm positive that many so-called "Christians" are "false" in the belief. Shoot most of them only believe in a portion of Jesus, but yet claim to believe in him fully. Are you going to tell me that this is a false statement. If so, you will then have to add where "God" specifically states which texts are of 'His" inspiration and which are not, in order to prove that the texts you accept are the only "holy ones".
So yes - many so-called "Christians" are living false lives. Not only not beig honest with theirselves, but with others as well.
Skombolis wrote:
<quoted text>And you would at least explain the methodology you use when deciding what parts of the Bible you follow and what parts you don't.
Why should I. It is very simple. I believe in what Jesus taught. ALL OF IT. In and out of the Bible. You and many others refuse to accept this truth, because it goes against a fundamental teaching by men - "only use the Bible".
Besides, I couldn't explain centuries of knowledge in one forum. It would be quite an impossible feat to do.
Skombolis wrote:
<quoted text>Is it anything more than you don't like what some verses say because they conflict with the religion you have created for yourself?
Once again, I haven't created any religion. You will need to grasp this fact first, before you keep projecting your own beliefs upon me.
Skombolis wrote:
<quoted text>I have seen you refuse to address this with many posters. Why if you are so sure?
You have? Please post my refusal.
I don't refuse much of anything, as I am very open and honest. Unlike many I've seen play on your team.
What would you like to know?

Location hidden

#219306 Mar 14, 2014
This:

KiMare wrote:
IPSEC wrote:
<quoted text>Yep. Watch the mourning at the demise of Kim Jong Il. Dear Leader was as much a deity as Immanuel, Jesus, or Lucifer.
<quoted text>
Dumb and Dumber...
Exactly how is he 'as much a deity' as Jesus?
Smile.

versus this:

KiMare wrote:
KiMare wrote:
<quoted text>
That's interesting.
How is it that a book you claim okays slavery is the only source prompting people to fight slavery?
<quoted text>
No, the question was for you, but when asked for a rational response, you defer to lazy scoffing.
The recent discourse about Stalin is an example of those who twist the Bible for their own interests.
So again, how do you explain the presence of Christians at the forefront of anti-slavery actions?
IPSEC wrote:
This:
<quoted text>
versus this:
<quoted text>Another Christian hypocrite, only 50 cents.
Gonna need more than 50cents, you don't make any sense.

Smile.

Location hidden

#219307 Mar 14, 2014
KiMare wrote:
<quoted text>
That's interesting.
How is it that a book you claim okays slavery is the only source prompting people to fight slavery?
<quoted text>
No, the question was for you, but when asked for a rational response, you defer to lazy scoffing.
The recent discourse about Stalin is an example of those who twist the Bible for their own interests.
So again, how do you explain the presence of Christians at the forefront of anti-slavery actions?
IPSEC wrote:
<quoted text>So, have you really never heard of the Southern Baptist Convention or are you just a lying fool?
So, I point out an example of someone perverting the Bible, and you give another example.

Glad you agree.

Smile.

Albuquerque, NM

#219308 Mar 14, 2014
Skombolis wrote:
I don't know how you got literally every point I made wrong. Maybe you were just in such a hurry to try to convince someone of your superior way. My guess is that someone is you
No I didn't - I just gave you a new perception that is visible with many people.

You just seemed to bypass it, for your own.

Just because you made your points, and I added different scenarios of your point, that would not mean my opinions are wrong, but it did show how you didn't include them in your response.

There are many misunderstandings in religion. People choose which ones to abide by and which ones they discard.

Albuquerque, NM

#219309 Mar 14, 2014
lightbeamrider wrote:
<quoted text> Christian truth claims on based on the bodily resurrection of Jesus Christ. That is how Christianity is falsified. It is not based on the conduct of Christians or whether or not it fulfills. It is based on total commitment to Jesus Christ in spite of earthly circumstances or temptations.
"It is based on total commitment to Jesus Christ in spite of earthly circumstances or temptations."

- and not to include these....huh?

http://www.gnosis.org/naghamm/gth_pat_rob.htm

Please respond with why you don't believe this gospel?

Since: May 10

Location hidden

#219310 Mar 14, 2014
wilderide wrote:
<quoted text>
OK, so I cannot say that I know for a fact that there are no deities anywhere in the universe, but I don't believe in any deities because so far I have not been presented with convincing evidence of any.
Does that make me an atheist or an agnostic?
It's not a matter of "knowing". Atheism is belief. Just like theism.

If either "knew", then it would not be belief.

Since: Sep 10

San Francisco, CA

#219311 Mar 14, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
You mean bologna, doncha?
Ba....ba......ba.........ba... ......loney.

Location hidden

#219312 Mar 14, 2014
IPSEC wrote:
<quoted text>Yep. Watch the mourning at the demise of Kim Jong Il. Dear Leader was as much a deity as Immanuel, Jesus, or Lucifer.
<quoted text>
Dumb and Dumber...
Exactly how is he 'as much a deity' as Jesus?
Smile.
IPSEC wrote:
<quoted text>Keep your creepy smile to yourself, weirdo. Apparently you missed the reaction of the North Korean people on news of his death. The argument could be made that since we have ecocide cd of his existence and not just phantasmagorical stories, Kim Jong Il was more of a deity than your boys Luci of Heyzeus.
Perhaps RR can post a few definitions of deity for you.
Which North Korean people are you talking about reacting?

Kim Jong's influence equates to Jesus?

His behavior equates?

Does Kim have buildings dedicated to him all over the world like Jesus does?

I'm just trying to figure out how a 'rational atheist' oxymoron thinks...

Snicker.

Since: May 10

Location hidden

#219313 Mar 14, 2014
wilderide wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes, everyone is an atheist. Some are just more consistent than others about it.
:)
Why not? If you're going to be stupid, slather it on thick, man.

Here is why these arguments you make are so stupid. Not from me, but from an academic source, unlike your flippant, hippy ruminations.

Stanford Encyclopedia of Philosophy

1. Atheism

" Atheismí means the negation of theism, the denial of the existence of God. I shall here assume that the God in question is that of a sophisticated monotheism. The tribal gods of the early inhabitants of Palestine are of little or no philosophical interest. They were essentially finite beings, and the god of one tribe or collection of tribes was regarded as good in that it enabled victory in war against tribes with less powerful gods. Similarly the Greek and Roman gods were more like mythical heroes and heroines than like the omnipotent, omniscient and good God postulated in mediaeval and modern philosophy."

“I see quantum effects”

In the macro world.

#219314 Mar 14, 2014
waaasssuuup wrote:
<quoted text>i can say with all my heart "JESUS IS GOD COME IN THE FLESH"

can you?:-)
No. Let's see.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

NCAA Basketball Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 4 min An NFL Fan 1,279,000
What role do you think humans play in global wa... (Sep '14) 1 hr Patriot AKA Bozo 6,976
News Thousands Protest Roe V. Wade Decision (Jan '08) 6 hr cpeter1313 310,236
News UCLA FOOTBALL NOTEBOOK: Neuheisel says Prince w... (Sep '10) 6 hr tom wingo 29,964
News Judge overturns California's ban on same-sex ma... (Aug '10) Sep 1 Pastor Pete 201,864
Conn's Appliances (Nov '07) Aug 20 Jcrombie67 282
Hoophall Invitational - Miami Aug 17 Hoophall 1
More from around the web