Atheism requires as much faith as rel...

Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

There are 258481 comments on the Webbunny tumblelog story from Jul 18, 2009, titled Atheism requires as much faith as religion?. In it, Webbunny tumblelog reports that:

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Webbunny tumblelog.

“Life may be sweeter for this”

Since: Nov 08

Fennario

#219440 Mar 15, 2014
karl44 wrote:
I have empathy for the victims of indoctrination. For the apologists, NONE The Indoctrination of a minor child into a hate cult needs be sanctioned by Law
Agreed. Not before age eighteen, just like cigarettes.

Young minds are not able to evaluate religious claims critically, which, of course, is the reason the church wants to put its antiscientific teaching and prayer in school.

Like cigarettes, religious instruction is something that we should consider undesirable, but not something that we would forbid free people.

Fennario

#219441 Mar 15, 2014
lightbeamrider wrote:
The Romans were running the show 2000 years ago in that area and they did not take kindly to anti slavery sentiment. That sort of writing could be construed as encouraging slave revolt. Sedition. Romans did not take kindly to that sort of thing. They had a habit of going in and killing everybody. That is how they handled things. Paul et all knew all that and wrote accordingly. Historical illiterates need to learn the times before they go making all sorts of ignorant assumptions.
Maybe your god should have written his Word himself.

“I see quantum effects”

Since: Jan 11

In the macro world.

#219442 Mar 15, 2014
KiMare wrote:
<quoted text>So atheists assert that people who claim to be Christians, who violate the basic tenants of the faith (making them in practice, atheists), condemn ALL Christians, no matter how many faithfully follow the tenants and do good works?
That is neither reasonable nor just.
Except to a 'rational atheist' oxymoron...
Smirk.

I understood your post the first time. It is illogical.

Second, you ignorantly generalize all people as Christians to justify your hateful bigotry.

Third, you clearly are unfamiliar with history. Buchanan, our first gay President, set up the civil war in an effort to save his partners cotton plantation. Lincoln's initial response was not based on liberating slaves. Christians forced him to take up their cause.

Finally, atheists were no where near the front of the issue. They were caught up in it.

I'm STILL waiting for someone to explain why Christians stand alone in history fighting slavery if their faith supposedly justifies it.

Is there ONE 'rational atheistic' oxymoron who can give a straight answer???

SMirk.
How much do these tenants pay?

Can they be evicted?

Guffaw.

“Ditat Deus”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#219443 Mar 15, 2014
Tide with Beach wrote:
I don't advocate killing people for any reason.
I advocate for non lethal means to achieve objectives.
I agree with you on that, killing is a last resort.

I don't believe you though, based on your defense of Harris' statement of killing people simply because they believe something.

“I see quantum effects”

In the macro world.

#219444 Mar 15, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>Ya, ya, ya. Good without God, right? You Humanists believe that human life has no inherent value and if the will of man is better served by abortion, infanticide, euthanasia, or suicide, then that's all good and everyone just has to accept it and encourage it.

You can take your selfish objectives, without any sense of responsibility or thought of other's needs and desires and call it compassion all you want, I'm not buying your oil.
Liar.

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#219445 Mar 15, 2014
It aint necessarily so wrote:
<quoted text>
Agreed. Not before age eighteen, just like cigarettes.
Young minds are not able to evaluate religious claims critically, which, of course, is the reason the church wants to put its antiscientific teaching and prayer in school.
Like cigarettes, religious instruction is something that we should consider undesirable, but not something that we would forbid free people.
Onward Topix Atheist! Warrior!

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons...

http://www.21st-century-christianity.com/imag...

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#219446 Mar 15, 2014
Aerobatty wrote:
Liar.
Liar Liar

http://gabicelebrity.files.wordpress.com/2013...

“I see quantum effects”

In the macro world.

#219447 Mar 15, 2014
Tide with Beach wrote:
<quoted text>All mentally healthy humans are superior to your "God".
All but the most psychopathic are superior to his god.

Fennario

#219448 Mar 15, 2014
Skombolis wrote:
Unbiased is the best way to go about judging something
Would you agree that irrational biases - prejudgements not based in evidence - are counterproductive and/or unjust, but that wisdom is a series of accurate judgments borne of experience rightly understood?

Is it a bias to dislike a restaurant that frequently serves bad meals served at the wrong temperature on dirty dishes? If you use the word bias that way, then rationals bias is the best way to judge things. If you reserve the meaning of the word bias only to irrational judgments, what do you call the other kind?

“What game?”

Since: Oct 10

Location hidden

#219449 Mar 15, 2014
Skombolis wrote:
<quoted text>Its not that I didn't care, there simply is nothing that could be done. Like I said, I'd be shit outta luck but that is the chance one takes when deciding who to follow.
<quoted text>It has nothing to do with compassion. You are trying to hard to find a bad guy in this scenario
For starters, I think you are being disingenuous if you are suggesting you could be talked into it
Secondly even if someone could be talked into it, that isn't real faith. A man can't give another man faith. A person either believes or not on their own. All man can do is witness. Then it is up to you
It seems weird that you would seek to fault someone even if the situation was how you suggest, which it isn't. There are millions of people int he world. But someone should spend a disproportionate time on you despite your clear resistance when there are other people out there that might actually benefit from the message? That's pretty selfish of you.
But its a moot point as I couldn't make you believe
Skombolis wrote:
<quoted text>Its not that I didn't care, there simply is nothing that could be done. Like I said, I'd be shit outta luck but that is the chance one takes when deciding who to follow.
That's why I only pray to Regis Philbin.

If my prayers are answered, Cool !!

If not, it's OK. He's still so cute.

“I see quantum effects”

In the macro world.

#219450 Mar 15, 2014
KiMare wrote:
<quoted text>After we ignore your ignorance about what Christianity teaches, we get to where the rubber meets the road. Something you keep ignoring, even though it is right in front of your face.

Every day, IN YOUR COMMUNITY, Christians are at the forefront of freely serving others and seeking to better themselves. There is NO comparable action by 'rational atheist' oxymorons.
Ever hear of Doctors without Borders?

A good number, if not a majority, if them are atheist.

Fennario

#219451 Mar 15, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
Oh yeah, you Topix Atheists! are so fucking intelligent.
You think E=MC2 disproves God.
You think you can remove a piece of a mousetrap and it's still a mousetrap.
You think the Pope is an atheist.
You think all people are atheists.
You think dinosaurs had no DNA.
You claim to know the Bible better than Christians, but screw up the understanding of every single verse.
You claim to be atheists but claim to know that there is no God.
You claim to be agnostic but claim to know there is no God.
You have a hard time understanding the meanings of very basic words and post things like "define faith".
Buck, what am I forgetting here?
IPSEC wrote:
Why are you lying.? None of those statements are mine.
RiversideRedneck wrote:
Why are you lying? I never said those statements were yours. I responded to IANS, not you.
Dumb ass.
None were mine, either. I agree with very little of that, and then, only with qualification.

“What game?”

Location hidden

#219452 Mar 15, 2014
Chris Clearwater wrote:
<quoted text>Jack Daniels, Wild Turkey and lots of it. It was a very strange thing to witness. What brought him to an end was keeping his body running for a bit. Couldn't even handle food. He ended up falling as he hit his head in the bathroom. When he got to the hospital (he was in his early 50s) one of the doctors said his life choices meant he was done. He had the body of a 90 year old man in very poor health. And the doctor was right. About two weeks latter in the hospital he left this world.
Chris Clearwater wrote:
<quoted text>About two weeks latter in the hospital he left this world.
Space ship?

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#219453 Mar 15, 2014
<quoted text>
Would you agree that irrational biases - prejudgements not based in evidence - are counterproductive and/or unjust, but that wisdom is a series of accurate judgments borne of experience rightly understood?
Is it a bias to dislike a restaurant that frequently serves bad meals served at the wrong temperature on dirty dishes? If you use the word bias that way, then rationals bias is the best way to judge things. If you reserve the meaning of the word bias only to irrational judgments, what do you call the other kind?
Bias is prejudice for or against something.

Prejudice is a preconceived opinion that isn't based on reason or experience.

So if you wanna be biased towards that restaurant (LMAO), go right ahead.

“What game?”

Location hidden

#219454 Mar 15, 2014
Happy Lesbo wrote:
<quoted text>
.. did you miss the point of my quizzes ??..
If I say yes will you punish me?

Yes

;-)

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#219455 Mar 15, 2014
River Tam wrote:
<quoted text>
<quoted text>
That's why I only pray to Regis Philbin.
If my prayers are answered, Cool !!
If not, it's OK. He's still so cute.
Here's lookin at you, kid.

http://www.google.com/imgres...

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#219456 Mar 15, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:

Oh yeah, you Topix Atheists! are so fucking intelligent.
You think E=MC2 disproves God.
You think you can remove a piece of a mousetrap and it's still a mousetrap.
You think the Pope is an atheist.
You think all people are atheists.
You think dinosaurs had no DNA.
You claim to know the Bible better than Christians, but screw up the understanding of every single verse.
You claim to be atheists but claim to know that there is no God.
You claim to be agnostic but claim to know there is no God.
You have a hard time understanding the meanings of very basic words and post things like "define faith".
Buck, what am I forgetting here?
None were mine, either. I agree with very little of that, and then, only with qualification.
I never said they were yours , I said they were the ideas of the Topix Atheists!

See the "you Topix Atheists! are so fucking intelligent" part?

“I see quantum effects”

In the macro world.

#219457 Mar 15, 2014
Tide with Beach wrote:
<quoted text>No. Your bias is preventing you from addressing what he actually said and believes.

Your opinion on the matter is irrelevant. Worse than that, your reputation continues to plummet.

RiversideRedneck wrote, "
You think he's mentally healthy?"

Obviously.
C'mon tide.

His reputation continues to plummet?

How is that possible?

Location hidden

#219458 Mar 15, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
I agree with you on that, killing is a last resort.
I don't believe you though, based on your defense of Harris' statement of killing people simply because they believe something.
So you disagree with capital punishment, stand your ground laws, and killing in defense of property?

I have offered no defense for the strawman you have been arguing against.

“What game?”

Location hidden

#219459 Mar 15, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Obama visited 57 states in 15 months.....
He truly is a messiah.
Verily.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =EpGH02DtIwsXX&sns=em
I was recruited by Ball State University. I was gonna go visit it but when I called the airline and asked, "Do you have any flights to the state of Ball?", they hung up on me.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

NCAA Basketball Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 21 min Guest 1,497,495
News Thousands Protest Roe V. Wade Decision (Jan '08) 3 hr cpeter1313 313,377
News UCLA FOOTBALL NOTEBOOK: Neuheisel says Prince w... (Sep '10) 6 hr Trojan 32,753
What role do you think humans play in global wa... (Sep '14) 6 hr Rshermr 10,959
News Western Michigan heads to Illinois as a favorite 15 hr LongPhartz 95
Conn's Appliances (Nov '07) Feb 15 Jhuerta 287
How my search of $450000 dollars became real. Feb 14 Kesby Karen 1
More from around the web