Atheism requires as much faith as rel...

Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

There are 258039 comments on the Webbunny tumblelog story from Jul 18, 2009, titled Atheism requires as much faith as religion?. In it, Webbunny tumblelog reports that:

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Webbunny tumblelog.

“Ditat Deus”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#219257 Mar 14, 2014
wilderide wrote:
<quoted text>
But I do disbelieve in gods. So do you.
I believe in a god. You don't.

Again, a theist does not have have to believe in all gods to be a theist, one god is sufficient.

Or are you gonna say I'm an atheistic theist?

(There's a new one....)

Since: Mar 09

Location hidden

#219258 Mar 14, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
LOL
Someone would hafta bring the extra large bath towels for Feltcher1.
Heh

I think with all the ambulance chasing we should call him Stretcher1. If he sees someone carried out on one he's putting his business cards in the handles!

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#219259 Mar 14, 2014
wilderide wrote:
<quoted text>
Since gods and religion are linked, how can a disbelief in gods not be about religion?
You can believe in a deity w/o religion just as much as you can disbelieve in one w/o religion.

Atheism is not about religion. It's a disbelief or lack of belief in all gods.

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#219260 Mar 14, 2014
Skombolis wrote:
<quoted text>Heh
I think with all the ambulance chasing we should call him Stretcher1. If he sees someone carried out on one he's putting his business cards in the handles!
He called himself 'Catcher' for a reason.

Either it's a homosexual hint or it's because he catches ambulances.

Hmmm decisions, decisions....

Location hidden

#219261 Mar 14, 2014
wilderide wrote:
<quoted text>
Well then, the club that Christians use to scare non-believers into converting to their religion isn't really of much use if you can blithely say that being judged after death is not a big deal after all.
<quoted text>
Exactly. Which is why I say that faith is not a reliable epistemology.
<quoted text>
That sounds to me like one starts with being presented with an ideology, which one over time replaces with one's own values but assumes that they are coming from an external source.
How did you get that I'm saying being shit outta luck if we are wrong is really me saying being judged after death is no big deal? Those are polar opposite ideas. In one scenario a person would be screwed. In the other if wouldn't matter

And I don't know what club you are referring to. My only job is to witness. Not to try to force someone to believe through fear. I am actually specifically instructed to dust off my sandals. If someone rejects the message then I move on as far trying to get them to accept it

And I'm not assuming they are coming from the same source. I simply haven't ruled it out as a possibility when someone's faith has become a personal one and not so much about specific religion. If someone prays ""God please hear my prayer and help me to be the person you want me to be" and they really had very little exposure to Christianity due to the part of the world they live in then I think it's possible but have no way of knowing, as I said

Since: Sep 10

Fremont, CA

#219262 Mar 14, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
Buck Crick wrote:
All right. We're fixin' a squarin' off place.
<quoted text>
You're either scared of Buck or kissing his ass.
Probably both.
Neither.

Buck clearly has an education.

You are an uneducated ignoramus.

It shows very clearly in your posts.

But I can see why you can't tell the difference.

Since: Sep 10

Fremont, CA

#219263 Mar 14, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
I demean you publicly too, bath house boy.
So sue me.
What, and squeeze some blood out of a turnip?

Besides, demeaning somebody isn't actionable.

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#219264 Mar 14, 2014
Catcher1 wrote:
Neither. Buck clearly has an education. You are an uneducated ignoramus. It shows very clearly in your posts. But I can see why you can't tell the difference.
Ass kissing it is then.

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#219265 Mar 14, 2014
Catcher1 wrote:
What, and squeeze some blood out of a turnip? Besides, demeaning somebody isn't actionable.
That's what I thought, paper dragon.

Location hidden

#219266 Mar 14, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
LOL

What if ambulance crashed into a bathhouse? That's gotta be a fantasy of his!

“Credulity is not a virtue”

Since: Apr 09

San Francisco

#219267 Mar 14, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Being confident just means you have a strong belief or self-assuredness about your opinion.
To know something is to be absolutely certain that thing is true.
OK, but then you get into: how can we be absolutely certain of anything?

I guess I never go that far, so the distinction you are making doesn't apply to me so much.

San Francisco

#219268 Mar 14, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
I believe in a god. You don't.
Again, a theist does not have have to believe in all gods to be a theist, one god is sufficient.
Or are you gonna say I'm an atheistic theist?
(There's a new one....)
So as long as your skepticism/critical thinking skills are applied inconsistently, you are a theist.

;)

San Francisco

#219269 Mar 14, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
You can believe in a deity w/o religion just as much as you can disbelieve in one w/o religion.
Atheism is not about religion. It's a disbelief or lack of belief in all gods.
Does your definition of atheism include a disbelief in all gods both known and unknown? If so, then by your definition of atheism I am an agnostic then.

What deity doesn't have an ideology attached to it?

San Francisco

#219270 Mar 14, 2014
Skombolis wrote:
<quoted text>How did you get that I'm saying being shit outta luck if we are wrong is really me saying being judged after death is no big deal? Those are polar opposite ideas. In one scenario a person would be screwed. In the other if wouldn't matter
And I don't know what club you are referring to. My only job is to witness. Not to try to force someone to believe through fear. I am actually specifically instructed to dust off my sandals. If someone rejects the message then I move on as far trying to get them to accept it
And I'm not assuming they are coming from the same source. I simply haven't ruled it out as a possibility when someone's faith has become a personal one and not so much about specific religion. If someone prays ""God please hear my prayer and help me to be the person you want me to be" and they really had very little exposure to Christianity due to the part of the world they live in then I think it's possible but have no way of knowing, as I said
You did not seem to care about the possibility of being judged by other gods, and so I can't help but wonder why being judged by your god should be any more concerning.

Moreover, it seems to me that anyone who really believed that an unfavorable judgement would result in eternal torture and had even a shred of compassion would not just "dust off their sandals" and walk away if someone disbelieved you. That makes no sense to me. Either such a Christian doesn't really believe in Hell, or they have no compassion.

San Francisco

#219271 Mar 14, 2014
Skombolis wrote:
<quoted text>LOL
What if ambulance crashed into a bathhouse? That's gotta be a fantasy of his!
Straight men sure have active imaginations.

San Francisco

#219272 Mar 14, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Interesting that you went there with that. Paging Dr. Freud, LOL!

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#219273 Mar 14, 2014
wilderide wrote:
<quoted text>
OK, but then you get into: how can we be absolutely certain of anything?
I guess I never go that far, so the distinction you are making doesn't apply to me so much.
Yes you do go that far. Yesterday you said that you know for certain that the Judeo God doesn't exist.

Why the back pedal?

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#219274 Mar 14, 2014
wilderide wrote:
<quoted text>
So as long as your skepticism/critical thinking skills are applied inconsistently, you are a theist.
;)
Negative, missy.

So long as I believe in God, I am not an atheist and cannot be an atheist.

There's no such thing as an atheistic theist.

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#219275 Mar 14, 2014
wilderide wrote:
Does your definition of atheism include a disbelief in all gods both known and unknown? If so, then by your definition of atheism I am an agnostic then.
What deity doesn't have an ideology attached to it?
It's not my definition of atheism, it's THE definition of atheism. I don't get into the Topix Atheist! practice of defining words as I see fit. Words have meanings, I suggest you use them.

Ideology? Why are you saying that? We were talking about religion, not ideology.

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#219276 Mar 14, 2014
wilderide wrote:
Interesting that you went there with that. Paging Dr. Freud, LOL!
Doesn't your kind use phrases like "pitcher and catcher", "top and bottom"?

Not that I want to psychoanalyze gay tendencies or anything, it's just strange that a man that not only indulges in male-only multicultural naked bath house showers with cucumbers, lemons and extra large towels but also brags about it would call himself straight and nickname himself a catcher, THE catcher....

Just sayin'

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

NCAA Basketball Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 4 min Dept of State 1,457,927
News UCLA FOOTBALL NOTEBOOK: Neuheisel says Prince w... (Sep '10) 10 hr Brew In 32,590
News Thousands Protest Roe V. Wade Decision (Jan '08) 12 hr silly rabbit 312,664
News Western Michigan heads to Illinois as a favorite Fri Go Blue Forever 57
What role do you think humans play in global wa... (Sep '14) Nov 28 Local Warming 10,372
Should child beauty pageants be banned? (Sep '14) Nov 22 Heatherfeather 780
legitimate loan lender (Oct '13) Nov 20 Sandra Tillman 16
More from around the web