Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent. Full Story

Since: May 10

Location hidden

#218423 Mar 11, 2014
wilderide wrote:
<quoted text>
So if slavery could be made more efficient then it would be moral again?
Wow.
<quoted text>
Thanks. Again, if Jesus went out of his way to make a distinction, then there must be one, right?
Personally, my interpretation is that Jesus was presenting himself as the Jewish messiah, and that is what he is referencing. But then you have the problem that he did not fulfill the Hebrew prophesies of who the Jewish messiah was supposed to be and what he was supposed to do. Which, of course, is why there are still Jews.
Mussolini made the trains run on time.

Location hidden

#218424 Mar 11, 2014
wilderide wrote:
<quoted text>
I have a question for you: do you know the difference between your opinions and objective facts?
No. Was that by Burt Bacharach?

“Credulity is not a virtue”

Since: Apr 09

San Francisco

#218425 Mar 11, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
Jesus' ministry was to the whole world, not just the Israelites.
So why did Jesus appear one time to one region of the world to talk to one specific group of people?

Seems like God would have greatly benefited from a communications course in any local JC.

Location hidden

#218426 Mar 11, 2014
wilderide wrote:
<quoted text>
I have a question for you: do you know the difference between your opinions and objective facts?
Do you know the way to San Jose?

“Nothing can stop, This Pony..”

Since: Dec 10

Location hidden

#218427 Mar 11, 2014
Skombolis wrote:
<quoted text>If initiating every exchange for 2 years and almost never not posting to me whenever I post is a passing curiosity then they probably have an extra mailman that comes to your house just to deliver the restraining orders:)
Boom!
If you cant stand the heat ....get out the frying pan.
Be careful you don't fall in the fire though. lol
Somehow I picture you a 4.5 foot tall overweight bald headed guy. lol
Saying stuff like "inconceivable".

“Love much, trust none”

Since: Jul 11

There

#218428 Mar 11, 2014
sweets2360 wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes he did say it in Matthew
5:17 Think not that I am come to destroy the law, or the prophets: I am not come to destroy, but to fulfill. 18: Whosoever therefore shall break one of these least commandments, and shall teach men so, he shall be called the least in the kingdom of heaven, but whosoever shall do and teach them, the same shall he be called great in the kingdom of heaven.
Matthew 10 :1 And when he had called unto him his twelve disciples, he gave them power against unclean spirits, to cast them out, and to heal all manner of sickness and all manner of disease.
5 These twelve Jesus sent forth, and commanded them, saying ,Go NOT into the way of the Gentiles, and into any city of the Samaritians enter ye not? 6: But go rather to the lost sheep of the house of Israel.
Jesus was a Jew and meant only to preach to the Jews. And to uphold Jewish law.
That is why Roman (Modern) Christianity abandoned Jesus for Paul.

Location hidden

#218429 Mar 11, 2014
wilderide wrote:
<quoted text>
And yet you ignore the much larger and more obvious discrepancy between the Old and New Testaments.
As for Christians being at the forefront of the fight against slavery, LOL! Pick up a history book sometime. Some Christians certainly did do that, but they were very much in the minority, and did so against what the Bible clearly says. No doubt in the near future Christian revisionists will also say they were at the forefront of gay rights. Puh-lease.
PS - I'm looking for the Letter to Philemon in the canon of the Bible and I can't seem to find it. What version are you using?
A key role in ending the African slave was the abolition movement in Britian, where Christians played a central role. The movement can be dated from the publication of John Wesley's Thought upon Slavery (1774). Wilberforce and Clarkson were two other key figures. The movement founded the Society for the Abolition of the Slave Trade (1787). Debates in Parliament commenced shortly afterwards (1789).

In the United States, the abolition movement was built around Protestant churches in the northern states. All abolition movements known to exist were built on the Christian principles of every man being a creation of God.

Roughly 360,000 Americans, mostly Christian, fighting on the anti-slavery side of the Civil War, gave their lives.

You lose on this. And you are offensive.

“Love much, trust none”

Since: Jul 11

There

#218430 Mar 11, 2014
Getting tired of refuting the lies these Christards keep repeating.

Is there no more than a handful of Chrisitans on Topix with an undamaged brain and a whit of honesty ?

Location hidden

#218431 Mar 11, 2014
wilderide wrote:
<quoted text>
So why did Jesus appear one time to one region of the world to talk to one specific group of people?
Seems like God would have greatly benefited from a communications course in any local JC.
Why did they make "Weekend at Bernie's II"?

Who knows.

“Ditat Deus”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#218432 Mar 11, 2014
wilderide wrote:
<quoted text>
Here we are, taking about Jesus' message, 2,000 years later, on the other side of the world.

I'd say His communications plan worked pretty well...

“Ditat Deus”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#218433 Mar 11, 2014
OG Kush wrote:
<quoted text>
I see that you receive a large number of insults sometimes quite unfairly. That's why.
I'm certain if you visit that website the imagined penalty will be severe.
There has to be a sin for reading that site.
The scholar clip was cut and pasted from the opening page.
You asked the question I provided the answer.
It wasn't my question nor was it my answer but it answered your question did it not?
Naaaah..... The insults pass over me like a...

Um....

Well, like something profound passing over something else.

“Use Your Imagination!”

Since: Jun 13

New York City, NY

#218434 Mar 11, 2014
BenAdam wrote:
Getting tired of refuting the lies these Christards keep repeating.
Is there no more than a handful of Chrisitans on Topix with an undamaged brain and a whit of honesty ?
Keep in mind, you're dealing with people who have no repercussions for the things they say in here.
Anonymity breeds false courage.

San Francisco

#218435 Mar 11, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Here we are, taking about Jesus' message, 2,000 years later, on the other side of the world.
I'd say His communications plan worked pretty well...
Maybe for you. What about people living in, say, Japan in the intervening 1,500 years? Don't they count?

If you are so impressed about a mythology that has lasted two millenia, you must be even more so by Hinduism, which is documented to go back at least 10,000 years and certainly existed even before that.

I know really good place to get a very beautiful statue of Ganesh if you want one.

San Francisco

#218436 Mar 11, 2014
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
A key role in ending the African slave was the abolition movement in Britian, where Christians played a central role. The movement can be dated from the publication of John Wesley's Thought upon Slavery (1774). Wilberforce and Clarkson were two other key figures. The movement founded the Society for the Abolition of the Slave Trade (1787). Debates in Parliament commenced shortly afterwards (1789).
In the United States, the abolition movement was built around Protestant churches in the northern states. All abolition movements known to exist were built on the Christian principles of every man being a creation of God.
Roughly 360,000 Americans, mostly Christian, fighting on the anti-slavery side of the Civil War, gave their lives.
And all of those Christians you mentioned fought against slavery in direct contradiction to what their own Bibles say. Just as they later had to contradict the misogyny in the Bible when women's suffrage came into cultural fruition. And just as we are currently seeing the massive cultural shift to do away with irrational bigotry against gay people, and many Christian sects, even many conservative ones, are having to scramble to explain how all that stuff in the OT doesn't really mean what it says.

Christianity always has to be dragged kicking and screaming to acknowledge social progress, just as Christianity itself was a re-invention of Bronze-age Hebrew morality.

Since: Jul 08

Columbus, OH

#218437 Mar 11, 2014
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
That's what she tells you. She was singing a different tune the other night.
Problem is, you just made a similar claim about my nonexistent wife.

if you need to pretend about women, you probably can't actually get one.

But then you got those copper scrolls to keep you company, eh?

“I see quantum effects”

Since: Jan 11

In the macro world.

#218438 Mar 11, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>Hell yes IANS thinks that. He calls it "the church" and swears that all Christian churches teach the exact same thing. It's ludicrous.
Gee, I read a lot of IANS posts and I've never seen him say that.

Since: Jun 12

Location hidden

#218439 Mar 11, 2014
scaritual wrote:
<quoted text>lightbeanrider gibberish translated: <lightbeanrider> ".....but, but, my deity said slaves had some rights! THAT is important! See how good my deity is!?..."
That is why I know you are biblical illiterate. If you knew anything about the Old you would know abuse of power by those in authority or mistreatment of others under care is offensive to the God in the Old. Raising the rent on the poor is condemned. There are multiple examples of this. You need to do better than sarcasm which only means you lose the argument. You have no intellectual ammunition.

San Francisco

#218440 Mar 11, 2014
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>

PS - Forgot to add: I care exactly as much about offending you as you care about offending others.

Since: Nov 13

Location hidden

#218441 Mar 11, 2014
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
Why did they make "Weekend at Bernie's II"?
Who knows.
Weekend at Bernie's, the original, had 40 million reasons....

Since: Jun 12

Location hidden

#218442 Mar 11, 2014
wilderide wrote:
<quoted text>
So if slavery could be made more efficient then it would be moral again?
Wow.
I was leaving the morality out of it and looking at it from a viewpoint of practicality. Future generations may judge us because we have McDonalds workers who are encouraged to apply for food stamps by their employer. I submit to you McDonalds worker much more efficient than slavery in the ancient world where they had to be housed , fed, and their children cared for by the masters.

It was costly. Israel being an agricultural society had to let the fields go fallow every 7 years.(I think?) Slaves had every Sabbath and religious holiday off. Little details like that shed some light on the subject as a whole. Abuse of slaves on a massive scale usually meant revolt. Solomon used whips on foreign slaves during his building projects and his son promised scorpions. That lead to revolt which lead to a divided kingdom. A total realignment happened. I forgot the context of the rest of your post so I am going to have to go back and look and if I do it here as opposed to Mozilla I might lose it all.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

NCAA Basketball Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 5 min scirocco 1,190,781
Thousands Protest Roe V. Wade Decision (Jan '08) 19 min Pearl Jam 308,919
UCLA FOOTBALL NOTEBOOK: Neuheisel says Prince w... (Sep '10) 24 min Brew In 29,061
What role do you think humans play in global wa... 1 hr Quantummist 4,172
Judge overturns California's ban on same-sex ma... (Aug '10) 3 hr Big D 201,376
Kecoughtan High teacher resigns after drug charges (Nov '07) 4 hr CS Rosenberg 71
NCSU vs UNC from the Coach's Perspective by Jam... Sat IdeasandTruth 1
More from around the web