Atheism requires as much faith as rel...

Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

There are 256057 comments on the Webbunny tumblelog story from Jul 18, 2009, titled Atheism requires as much faith as religion?. In it, Webbunny tumblelog reports that:

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Webbunny tumblelog.

“Ditat Deus”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#218128 Mar 10, 2014
Tide with Beach wrote:
<quoted text>
Do you believe that if you add up several fallacies that it will accumulate into a compelling argument?
You call that a rebuttal?
Anon

Lakewood, OH

#218129 Mar 10, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
The question for ID scientists is "how was the specified pattern of complexity written?"
I don't believe a puddle of goop could flourish into life without the assistance of a designer. I believe that designer is God.
Earlier today on another thread, you warned us of the inherent dangers of accepting science at face value, asserting that science is wrong "most of the time" and one should be skeptical of all scientific tenets. Does it not follow that the science of ID should be evaluated with that selfsame skepticism? Just looking for clarity...

“Ditat Deus”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#218130 Mar 10, 2014
Anon wrote:
Earlier today on another thread, you warned us of the inherent dangers of accepting science at face value, asserting that science is wrong "most of the time" and one should be skeptical of all scientific tenets. Does it not follow that the science of ID should be evaluated with that selfsame skepticism? Just looking for clarity...
Absolutely. It follows all science.

Since: Jan 11

Location hidden

#218131 Mar 10, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
The Old Testament laws actually forbade the kind of slavery that happened in America.
Exodus 21:16
Whoever steals a man and sells him, and anyone found in possession of him, shall be put to death.
That only applies to Exodites.

Actually, I'd estimate that very very few of the slaves that made their way to America were stolen. Most were bought from slave traders who kidnapped them. Stealing someone's slave would have been a lot more dangerous than kidnapping a free person.
RiversideRedneck wrote:
It's too bad the ignorant slave owners of the time didn't realize that.
It probably didn't apply very often. Most slave owners bought their slaves fair and square.
RiversideRedneck wrote:
But slavery in Biblical times was far different than the slavery of the past few hundred years.
I have seen no evidence to support that. Do you have any?
RiversideRedneck wrote:
Slavery was more of a social status than anything, people would volunteer into slavery to pay off debts or feed their families.
That is not slavery.
RiversideRedneck wrote:
Hell, back then even some doctors and lawyers were slaves, it had nothing to to with nationality or skin color.
Does it make you feel better to imagine a fairy tale history?

Owning people is immoral. The people that wrote the Bible didn't think so, but they were wrong.

Location hidden

#218132 Mar 10, 2014
It's an argument from ignorance.
RiversideRedneck wrote:
Oh.
Why?
Well, that's just the best they can do.

Location hidden

#218133 Mar 10, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
Hold on. Lemme check.
*checks*
Ya, Genesis 1:1 is in the Bible, so your "the whole Bible supports slavery" is a bigoted, bullshit response.
Did you find that moral condemnation of slavery in the Bible?

Nope.

Now, if the Bible didn't mention slavery, and didn't purport to be the ultimate moral guide, I couldn't make this point, but since it does, I can.

The Bible condones slavery.

Location hidden

#218134 Mar 10, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
You call that a rebuttal?
I call it a question.

Do you think it's wise to submit faith based beliefs to the rigor of the scientific process? Do you think you can play by those rules and win? The best you can do is pretend, and get a sense that your beliefs are being taken seriously. As far as ID, that ship sailed years ago. It's a joke. We engage you on the subject for entertainment purposes, for the most part. At least with honest religion, you can call it faith, which is your shelter.

“"None shall pass"”

Since: Jul 11

There

#218135 Mar 10, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Oh no.... More Topix Atheist! nonsense...
Ok, tell me where the Bible says that I, a Christian, can (or should) own a slave.
Go.
So now you are going to pull the "The OT is only for ancient Jews not Christians" cop out.

Are the OT Laws for slavery and God telling the Hebrews to enslave people "Ritual", "Spiritual" or "Moral" law ? Those were the three classifications you gave a couple days ago .

Let us know what in the OT was addressed to Christians.

Since: Jul 08

Columbus, OH

#218136 Mar 10, 2014
Chess Jurist wrote:
<quoted text>
The master at work.
What?

Two negative judgicons just for saying Hip's good at what he does?

Really?

“Use Your Imagination!”

Since: Jun 13

New York City, NY

#218137 Mar 10, 2014
Atheism requires faith.
Faith in mankind to do the right thing without the threat of punishment from a hidden force lingering over their heads.
I don't believe in God.
But I know right from wrong.
I know how to be kind.
And I know how to love.

Since: Jul 08

Columbus, OH

#218138 Mar 10, 2014
Chess Jurist wrote:
<quoted text>
The dimwit at work.
What?

Six positive judgicons just for saying Crick is a dimwit?

Those things ain't so bad after all.

“"None shall pass"”

There

#218139 Mar 10, 2014
Happy Lesbo wrote:
<quoted text>
.. this is a scrambled mess ..
.. Google's translation programs suck ..
Garbage in, Garbage out.

“"None shall pass"”

There

#218140 Mar 10, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Um no.
DNA is a nucleic acid made up of nucleotides. There's no trace of protein or even amino acid in it. The proteins support the DNA but that's all they are, support structures.
Glad I could help.
Go to the googlers.
You have it backwards, moron.

DNA codes for RNA and RNA codes for proteins.

In simplest terms, DNA makes proteins out of amino acids.

The proteins do NOT support the DNA but the exact opposite.

“"None shall pass"”

There

#218141 Mar 10, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
I don't believe a puddle of goop could flourish into life without the assistance of a designer.
You have no understanding of sexual reproduction then.

What a moron!

Since: Sep 10

Redondo Beach, CA

#218142 Mar 10, 2014
BenAdam wrote:
<quoted text>
So now you are going to pull the "The OT is only for ancient Jews not Christians" cop out.
Are the OT Laws for slavery and God telling the Hebrews to enslave people "Ritual", "Spiritual" or "Moral" law ? Those were the three classifications you gave a couple days ago .
Let us know what in the OT was addressed to Christians.
No, that's not it.

Jesus came and cleansed the faith of all the nasty stuff.

Fullfilled is what supposedly Jesus did, and we're in good shape as a result.

Good guy that Jesus.

“Quantum Junctn: Use Both Lanes”

Since: Dec 06

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#218143 Mar 10, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Nope. Basically, irreducible complexity means it is impossible to reduce the complexity of a complex system by removing any of its parts and still maintain its functionality.
Yes, yes-- I know the "argument".

And in EVERY CASE? There has **never** been irreducible complexity.

Never.

Ever.

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#218144 Mar 10, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Nope. Wrong again.
A dam made by beavers is a natural object that's designed.
You suck.
Wrong, stupid.

A beaver's dam is made by instinct within the beavers.

It was **never** designed--which requires forethought.

Beavers do not posses forethought.

You are seriously an idiot.

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#218145 Mar 10, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
No I haven't.
You bragged about hitting your first wife.

More than one time, you bragged about that.

Liar.

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#218146 Mar 10, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Protein chains aren't DNA.
If you can't answer the question, just scroll. I'll understand.
But DNA is protein chains, you ignorant moron.

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#218147 Mar 10, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
But slavery in Biblical times was far different than the slavery of the past few hundred years. Slavery was more of a social status than anything, people would volunteer into slavery to pay off debts or feed their families. Hell, back then even some doctors and lawyers were slaves, it had nothing to to with nationality or skin color.
BULLSHYT!!!!

Slavery is still the elimination of **all** free actions and **ownership** of another human being.

That's evil.

Your god? Is worse than evil.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

NCAA Basketball Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 1 min Yeah 1,405,173
News UCLA FOOTBALL NOTEBOOK: Neuheisel says Prince w... (Sep '10) 11 hr Trojan 32,308
News Thousands Protest Roe V. Wade Decision (Jan '08) 12 hr ThomasA 311,496
What role do you think humans play in global wa... (Sep '14) Wed IB DaMann 9,991
News Judge overturns California's ban on same-sex ma... (Aug '10) Jul 25 NotInPotatoQuality 201,878
legitimate loan lender (Oct '13) Jul 21 Ceren 7
What Ever Happen To Niagara Basketball (May '15) Jul 17 Disappointed PE 3
More from around the web