Atheism requires as much faith as rel...

Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

There are 256560 comments on the Webbunny tumblelog story from Jul 18, 2009, titled Atheism requires as much faith as religion?. In it, Webbunny tumblelog reports that:

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Webbunny tumblelog.

“Ditat Deus”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#218008 Mar 10, 2014
Buck Crick wrote:
Thanks for sharing your religious belief.
Praise Darwin.
no, no, no, no, no

That was AssBatty's "non-belief"........

“Credulity is not a virtue”

Since: Apr 09

San Francisco

#218009 Mar 10, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Oh no.... More Topix Atheist! nonsense...
Ok, tell me where the Bible says that I, a Christian, can (or should) own a slave.
Go.
There are plenty. How about we start with Leviticus 25:44-46:

"However, you may purchase male or female slaves from among the foreigners who live among you. You may also purchase the children of such resident foreigners, including those who have been born in your land. You may treat them as your property, passing them on to your children as a permanent inheritance. You may treat your slaves like this, but the people of Israel, your relatives, must never be treated this way."

You seem to think that being a Christian exempts you from the Hebrew Bible. Please show me where Jesus said that any of the laws of the Hebrew Bible were rescinded.

San Francisco

#218010 Mar 10, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
RiversideRedneck wrote:
1. Observation that intelligent agents produce complex and specified information.
<quoted text>
Really? You disagree that it has not been observed that intelligent agents produce complex and specified information?
What are you smoking over there?
What objective observational evidence for an intelligent designer which created the universe is there?

Since: Sep 10

Fremont, CA

#218011 Mar 10, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
So then someone like Thomas Edison can't make that determination...
Or Bill Gates?
Albert Einstein?
John Rockefeller?
Walt Disney?
Charles Dickens?
Or what about your patriarch, Charles Darwin? he "only" had a degree in theology, called Divinity back then....
You seem to place so much importance on people that did not drop out, what about people like these?
OK then, I'll disqualify you on other grounds.

How many of these guys were/are racists, mysogynists, homophobes? How many have hit six-month-old babies and women? How many have attacked motorists with a deadly weapon? How many are/were ignorant and made no contribution to society?

All the people you cite made something of themselves in the world, contributed to society.

You're just an ignorant dropout who contributes nothing.

Appeal to Buck for sympathy; no sale here.

I do congratulate you for an excellent google.

Since: Sep 10

Fremont, CA

#218012 Mar 10, 2014
wilderide wrote:
<quoted text>
"However, you may purchase male or female slaves from among the foreigners who live among you. You may also purchase the children of such resident foreigners, including those who have been born in your land. You may treat them as your property, passing them on to your children as a permanent inheritance. You may treat your slaves like this, but the people of Israel, your relatives, must never be treated this way."
You seem to think that being a Christian exempts you from the Hebrew Bible. Please show me where Jesus said that any of the laws of the Hebrew Bible were rescinded.
I know the canned answer to this one.

This was for the Levites.

It's not of general application.

WOW, I'm becoming a Bible expert and I've never opened the book (except when I'm out of rolling papers in a hotel room).

San Francisco

#218013 Mar 10, 2014
Catcher1 wrote:
<quoted text>
WOW, I'm becoming a Bible expert and I've never opened the book (except when I'm out of rolling papers in a hotel room).
Rolling papers? Oh dear, I hope you use a vaporizer. Much healthier. So I've heard. ;)

Anyway, I really find apologists for slavery puzzling. The fact that God ever condoned slavery for anyone should bring immediate condemnation from any rational and moral person. And if Leviticus was only for the Levites, does that mean everything else in that book, including condemnation of gay relationships, only applies to that specific group as well?

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#218014 Mar 10, 2014
wilderide wrote:
<quoted text>
In Matthew 5, Jesus said He didn't come to abolish the laws, but to fulfill them.

Do you know what it means to fulfill something?

Do you know the difference between abolish and fulfill?

If you do, you'll understand that Levitical law is not laws for Christians.

Next.

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#218015 Mar 10, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
1. Observation that intelligent agents produce complex and specified information.
wilderide wrote:
What objective observational evidence for an intelligent designer which created the universe is there?
You're adding in to ID's observation.

Why?

The observation stands.

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#218016 Mar 10, 2014
Catcher1 wrote:
OK then, I'll disqualify you on other grounds.
How many of these guys were/are racists, mysogynists, homophobes? How many have hit six-month-old babies and women?{SNIP}
You cannot disqualify me for things I have not done.

I'm not a homophobe, I haven't hit any babies and I haven't hit women.

If you can, stop lying.

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#218017 Mar 10, 2014
wilderide wrote:
<quoted text>
Rolling papers? Oh dear, I hope you use a vaporizer. Much healthier. So I've heard. ;)
Anyway, I really find apologists for slavery puzzling. The fact that God ever condoned slavery for anyone should bring immediate condemnation from any rational and moral person. And if Leviticus was only for the Levites, does that mean everything else in that book, including condemnation of gay relationships, only applies to that specific group as well?
It sure does.

San Francisco

#218018 Mar 10, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
In Matthew 5, Jesus said He didn't come to abolish the laws, but to fulfill them.
Do you know what it means to fulfill something?
Do you know the difference between abolish and fulfill?
If you do, you'll understand that Levitical law is not laws for Christians.
Next.
A law is either in force or it isn't. If Jesus did not come to abolish them, then presumably they are still in force. Please explain what your understanding of the term "fulfill" means in the context of this topic.

“I see quantum effects”

Since: Jan 11

In the macro world.

#218019 Mar 10, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>See how the Topix Atheist! swears that ID is talking about a deity even thought the ID doesn't make that claim.

The incandescent light bulb was designed. Would you say it takes God to do that?

Maybe they'll put God in their theory, if and when God allows them to test Him.
So man is the intelligent designer of man.

Ok.

Sure.

San Francisco

#218020 Mar 10, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Why?
The observation stands.
Your reply made no sense and did not answer the question.

San Francisco

#218021 Mar 10, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
It sure does.
I find the idea that Leviticus only applies to the Levites an interesting one, especially since Orthodox Jews themselves don't seem to share that perspective.

Where in the Hebrew Bible does it say the laws in Leviticus only apply to that specific tribe of Jews?

San Francisco

#218022 Mar 10, 2014
Aerobatty wrote:
<quoted text>
So man is the intelligent designer of man.
Ok.
Sure.
Man is certainly the intelligent designer of religion.

“I see quantum effects”

In the macro world.

#218023 Mar 10, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>RiversideRedneck wrote:

Why?

The observation stands.
From wiki:

The concept of specified complexity is widely regarded as mathematically unsound and has not been the basis for further independent work in information theory, the theory of complex systems, or biology.[1][2][3] Specified complexity is one of the two main arguments used by intelligent design proponents, the other being irreducible complexity.

“I see quantum effects”

In the macro world.

#218024 Mar 10, 2014
wilderide wrote:
<quoted text>Your reply made no sense and did not answer the question.

Anything he can't believe could happen naturally by chance.

Like a snowflake have a six sided crystalline structure.

That couldn't possibly be due to the geometry and charges in the water molecules. It HAD to be designed.

It has specified complexity, whatever the hell THAT is.

“I see quantum effects”

In the macro world.

#218025 Mar 10, 2014
wilderide wrote:
<quoted text>Man is certainly the intelligent designer of religion.
Or the not-so-intelligent designer.

Kind of like the one who put the playground next to the dump in humans.

“I see quantum effects”

In the macro world.

#218026 Mar 10, 2014
wilderide wrote:
<quoted text>I find the idea that Leviticus only applies to the Levites an interesting one, especially since Orthodox Jews themselves don't seem to share that perspective.

Where in the Hebrew Bible does it say the laws in Leviticus only apply to that specific tribe of Jews?
So sayeth ArAr.

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#218027 Mar 10, 2014
Catcher1 wrote:
<quoted text>
Let's try this, for the challenged people lik you that can't discern old from new, owed of paid, incomplete and complete.

Here's a law. Know where it's from?

"If any slave resists his master, correcting such a slave, and shall happen to be killed in such correction the master shall be free of all punishment as if such accident never happened."

It's a law. It's written. It's American. You're American.

Therefore, according to Topix Atheist! logic, you MUST follow that law and you MUST own a slave.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

NCAA Basketball Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 2 min John Galt 1,419,312
News UCLA FOOTBALL NOTEBOOK: Neuheisel says Prince w... (Sep '10) 6 hr Trojan 32,332
News Thousands Protest Roe V. Wade Decision (Jan '08) 9 hr zef 311,625
What role do you think humans play in global wa... (Sep '14) Fri Earthling-1 10,065
News Judge overturns California's ban on same-sex ma... (Aug '10) Aug 19 JustStop 201,888
mark moel loan house is here for you to uptain ... (Sep '13) Aug 14 Alex 17
legitimate loan lender (Oct '13) Aug 11 Ceren 9
More from around the web