Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent. Full Story

“Life may be sweeter for this”

Since: Nov 08

Fennario

#217231 Mar 6, 2014
virtuanna wrote:
killing those naughty "thought crimes" before they get "thought about".
You seem to be more worried about that than most.
virtuanna wrote:
It appears Harris lacks the fore-sight to even consider the overthrow of his own regime and the ensuing administration of the same law being used against his extreme hate filled thoughts.
You're projecting again.

“ The Lord of delirious minds.”

Since: Dec 10

Location hidden

#217232 Mar 6, 2014
Hidingfromyou wrote:
<quoted text>
Finally! Yes, I know.
Well, it took you a bit, but there you are. I'm glad, RR. I'm glad we reached this point. Now, you and I can have an honest and interesting discussion about what Harris meant regarding his argument in its entirely rather than just the sentence, taken out of context with the wording changed.
In fact, I know that you and I already agree with our conclusion. We don't think it's ok for military powers to kill people for potential actions in the future, even terrorist organizations. Or, at least, I do. Why do I?
Well, let's get into this first. Using Harris' paragraph, not just the sentence, do you think it's ok for the USA to bomb the masterminds of terrorist organizations? From all your writing, I'm guessing no - after all, you condemned Harris for condoning the killing of people for "beliefs" when you thought that's what he was talking about.
If you think it's ok, then, by all means, please state your reasons.
Some gangsters are so well protected they cannot be brought to justice by conventional means. They will continue to operate above the law , committing murder, mayhem , piracy , kidnapping, extortion and terrorism until they are destroyed. The whole world is held hostage by such international criminals. There has to be a force they will answer too, lest the entire world become a completely lawless state of confusion and chaos where thugs like this can hide from justice.

Fennario

#217233 Mar 6, 2014
KiMare wrote:
Who is labeled 'Christian'? It is the difference between someone who says so, and someone who lives so, or, a parent who says they are a good parent, and a parent who is a good parent. Try again. Smile.
A Christian is anybody who says so and means it. The thoughts and behavior that defines a Christian include considering Jesus a god, voting for issues and candidates because you think Jesus wants you do, believing Christian mythology, talking up Christianity, tithing, etc.

Being Christlike has nothing to do with it.

Fennario

#217234 Mar 6, 2014
KiMare wrote:
I knew the figure was off for whatever reason simply from common sense and moral discretion.
LOL.

Since: May 10

Location hidden

#217235 Mar 6, 2014
Hidingfromyou wrote:
<quoted text>
No problem. I had the same trouble - it's b/c they changed the word "propositions" to "belief" that you cannot find the Harris article. I included Harris' name, and then his page came up.
I have some issues with him, too, especially when he delves into discussions of morality. But his attacks on religious thinking are spot-on.
His attacks on religious thinking are "spot-on"?

So you agree that it may be ethical to kill people for believing certain propositions absent any wrongful act?

You earlier disagreed. Now you say it's spot on.

If you doubt he was talking about beliefs, here is more from the same passage of his book:

"Certain beliefs place their adherents beyond the reach of every peaceful means of persuasion, while inspiring them to commit acts of extraordinary violence against others. "

Is Harris talking about "beliefs" here, when he says "beliefs"? We need you to tell us, apparently, since we are too dumb to know.

I'm going out on a limb and say he's talking about "beliefs" when he says "beliefs".

Make up your mind. You're flailing.

Location hidden

#217236 Mar 6, 2014
Hidingfromyou wrote:
<quoted text>
Finally! Yes, I know.
Well, it took you a bit, but there you are. I'm glad, RR. I'm glad we reached this point. Now, you and I can have an honest and interesting discussion about what Harris meant regarding his argument in its entirely rather than just the sentence, taken out of context with the wording changed.
In fact, I know that you and I already agree with our conclusion. We don't think it's ok for military powers to kill people for potential actions in the future, even terrorist organizations. Or, at least, I do. Why do I?
Well, let's get into this first. Using Harris' paragraph, not just the sentence, do you think it's ok for the USA to bomb the masterminds of terrorist organizations? From all your writing, I'm guessing no - after all, you condemned Harris for condoning the killing of people for "beliefs" when you thought that's what he was talking about.

Harris WAS talking about beliefs.

He said so himself, you fucking idiot!!

"The link between BELIEF and behavior raises the stakes considerably. Some propositions are so dangerous that it may even be ethical to kill people for BELIEVING them. This may seem an extraordinary claim, but it merely enunciates an ordinary fact about the world in which we live. Certain BELIEFS place their adherents beyond the reach of every peaceful means of persuasion, while inspiring them to commit acts of extraordinary violence against others."

<caps added in case you are too stupid to notice the word "belief">

“I started out with nothing”

Since: Nov 10

and still got most of it left

#217237 Mar 6, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
RiversideRedneck wrote:
The Bible does not instruct a Christian to kill.
<quoted text>
No it doesn't.
<quoted text>
The Bible does not instruct a Christian to kill.
I know you've been to the googlers about this....
Perhaps your washed out excuse for a babble is different than the others, we know that it omits huge tranches of the real thing and pretties up the hard stuff for you. Could be you are reading the wrong book.

So we will assume I am using the KJV unless otherwise stated, OK?

Are you denying that genesis 6:11 to 17 and 7:11 to 24 does not promote genocide?

Are you denying that 2Kings 9:24 does not advocate trickery and murder

Are you denying that mathew 10:21 does not tell brother to kill brother and child to kill child? And children to cause there parents to be put to death?

As you so often tell me, forget google read the babble.

And there is much, much more. Deuteronomy for example is rife with murderous hatred of anything not Deuteronomy

And you decry atheists for cherry picking

Location hidden

#217238 Mar 6, 2014
It aint necessarily so wrote:
<quoted text>
A Christian is anybody who says so and means it. The thoughts and behavior that defines a Christian include considering Jesus a god, voting for issues and candidates because you think Jesus wants you do, believing Christian mythology, talking up Christianity, tithing, etc.
Being Christlike has nothing to do with it.
100% spot on, and well-said.

(But don't get cocky)

“Ditat Deus”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#217239 Mar 6, 2014
It aint necessarily so wrote:
<quoted text>
<quoted text>
He also said this, which is essentially the same comment creatively repackaged:
“If you wake up tomorrow morning thinking that saying a few Latin words over your pancakes is going to turn them into the body of Elvis Presley, you have lost your mind. But if you think more or less the same thing about a cracker and the body of Jesus, you’re just a Catholic." - Sam Harris
Of course Sam thinks that way, he's an intolerant dick.

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#217240 Mar 6, 2014
Hidingfromyou wrote:
Shall I just get you some cheap whisky in a paperbag? Would that help?
You shall.

And hurry up about it.

Location hidden

#217241 Mar 6, 2014
Happy Lesbo wrote:
<quoted text>
.. domesticated animals usually trust humans ..
.. we feed, house, even pet cows then we send them off to the slaughter house ..
.. feral animals know not to trust humans ..
Ohhh!

So that's why people call me an animal.

Thanks, HL.

Location hidden

#217242 Mar 6, 2014
ChristineM wrote:
<quoted text>
Whatever turns you on
OK, but are you sure you're ready? It usually involves electricity and metal.

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#217243 Mar 6, 2014
Hidingfromyou wrote:
<quoted text>
Finally! Yes, I know.
A mastermind of a terrorist organization is not limiting himself to his beliefs, he's performing heinous actions that require action directed back at him. Harris said nothing of killing people (religious terrorists) for their actions, he said for the propositions, beliefs.

Give me one good example of killing someone, ethically as Harris said, for having a proposition.

To even make the comment that killing someone for a proposal is ludicrous and hateful.

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#217244 Mar 6, 2014
Happy Lesbo wrote:
<quoted text>
.. domesticated animals usually trust humans ..
.. we feed, house, even pet cows then we send them off to the slaughter house ..
.. feral animals know not to trust humans ..
Why you gotta call me feral?

That's just mean.

Since: Oct 10

Location hidden

#217245 Mar 6, 2014
Catcher1 wrote:
<quoted text>
What's a girl like you doing in a place like this?
That's not a girl.

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#217246 Mar 6, 2014
ChristineM wrote:
<quoted text>
Perhaps your washed out excuse for a babble is different than the others, we know that it omits huge tranches of the real thing and pretties up the hard stuff for you. Could be you are reading the wrong book.
So we will assume I am using the KJV unless otherwise stated, OK?
Are you denying that genesis 6:11 to 17 and 7:11 to 24 does not promote genocide?
Are you denying that 2Kings 9:24 does not advocate trickery and murder
Are you denying that mathew 10:21 does not tell brother to kill brother and child to kill child? And children to cause there parents to be put to death?
As you so often tell me, forget google read the babble.
And there is much, much more. Deuteronomy for example is rife with murderous hatred of anything not Deuteronomy
And you decry atheists for cherry picking
I'll make this very, very simple for you. An easy task, as it were.

Please post some Scripture that tells ***ME*** that's it's either ethical, condoned or sanctioned to kill ***YOU***.

Go.

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#217247 Mar 6, 2014
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
Harris WAS talking about beliefs.
He said so himself, you fucking idiot!!
"The link between BELIEF and behavior raises the stakes considerably. Some propositions are so dangerous that it may even be ethical to kill people for BELIEVING them. This may seem an extraordinary claim, but it merely enunciates an ordinary fact about the world in which we live. Certain BELIEFS place their adherents beyond the reach of every peaceful means of persuasion, while inspiring them to commit acts of extraordinary violence against others."
<caps added in case you are too stupid to notice the word "belief">
Now, now...

We know that to the Topix Atheist!, beliefs and propositions are actions.

Location hidden

#217248 Mar 6, 2014
Hidingfromyou wrote:
<quoted text>

Shall I just get you some cheap whisky in a paperbag? Would that help?
Not necessary. If you want me, just say so. I'll decide if I need the bag over your head.

“I started out with nothing”

Since: Nov 10

and still got most of it left

#217249 Mar 6, 2014
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
OK, but are you sure you're ready? It usually involves electricity and metal.
If you need to use toys and gadgets to turn you on rather then the good book and a locked closet then you are no godbot.

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#217250 Mar 6, 2014
River Tam wrote:
That's not a girl.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =amQRx7cAk3MXX
Dude Looks Like a Lady?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

NCAA Basketball Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 6 min John Galt 1,153,226
Judge overturns California's ban on same-sex ma... (Aug '10) 1 hr Pietro Armando 201,150
What role do you think humans play in global wa... 3 hr Patriot AKA Bozo 2,659
UCLA FOOTBALL NOTEBOOK: Neuheisel says Prince w... (Sep '10) 9 hr Bruin For Life 28,359
Thousands Protest Roe V. Wade Decision (Jan '08) 9 hr Pearl Jam 306,952
Should child beauty pageants be banned? Tue Roy the Boy 685
Conn's Appliances (Nov '07) Tue The Real Daniel S... 281
More from around the web