Atheism requires as much faith as rel...

Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

There are 244762 comments on the Webbunny tumblelog story from Jul 18, 2009, titled Atheism requires as much faith as religion?. In it, Webbunny tumblelog reports that:

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Webbunny tumblelog.

“Quantum Junctn: Use Both Lanes”

Since: Dec 06

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#217096 Mar 5, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
For me, the server 's (male or female) personal life and choices do not come in to play when deciding a tip. All that matters is their quality of service, attitude and promptness. The quality of the food doesn't come to mind.
I gave an excellent waiter at Red Lobster a.$50 tip for a $125 meal. The dude was such a good waiter, he's the kind you remember.
However, another time we had this really shitty waitress, the kind that slammed the good down, never asked how the meal was, never refilled the drinks, etc. she came to the table twice; once to take our order and once to drop the check. If she was a single mom that needed extra cash, she certainly didn't act like it. I have her nothing.
And if you **really** want to hammer home a lousy waiter?

Leave your penny/nickle/quarter with her manager-- say, "here's the tip for XXX, it's a wee big generous, I know, but I didn't have anything smaller..."
virtuanna

Sherman, TX

#217097 Mar 5, 2014
Hidingfromyou wrote:
<quoted text>
I believe psychology technically defines insanity as believing in non-real things - their larger definition includes the supernatural. So, yeah, insane.
For whatever reason we don't call religious people insane if they belong to a religion with widespread social acceptance. However, if they belong to a small group, we have no issues labeling them and questioning their beliefs, despite all religions have equal evidence to their claims.
The majority of people in ancient times scoffed at the "existence" of tiny bits called atoms, based simply on the fact that they couldn't see them.

" http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atomism" ;

One wonders if you would have been one of the stoic, "rational" scoffers calling the atomists insane. Funny how someone who claims to be rational can harbor so much hate and bias, based simply on their limited faculty of perception.
virtuanna

Sherman, TX

#217098 Mar 5, 2014
River Tam wrote:
<quoted text>
Alice has been banned.
Excellent.

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#217099 Mar 5, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
You forgot one:
“Some beliefs are so dangerous that it may be ethical to kill people for believing them”
-Sam Harris
A quote mine (partial quote) is the exact same thing as lying.

In any case?

He is only voicing what YOU ALREADY BELIEVE!

You, yourself, have called for the murder of islamic zealots-- that fits **exactly** with what he said.

You religious idiots ought to be praising his statements, here-- it's how you behaved for 1000's of years--

-- you christians **murdered** people in the past, for what they believed!

Hypocrite, much?

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#217100 Mar 5, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
According to the insane Harris, it may be ethical to kill me for any of those beliefs.
Would you agree with him?
According to your bible (which you believe), it **is** ethical to kill **me** for what I do not believe....

... how is this any different, hypocrite?
virtuanna

Sherman, TX

#217101 Mar 5, 2014
Hidingfromyou wrote:
<quoted text>
So you're the new name of...ah...damn, I can't remember your old name. You snickered and smiled a lot when you were losing arguments.
No, that was bob.

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#217102 Mar 5, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Bin Laden wasn't killed for his beliefs, he was killed for his actions you dumb ass retard.
Nope-- he was killed because he **acted** on his **beliefs**.

In short? He was killed for what he believed to be true.

Just as YOU would kill ME for what I don't believe, except that the US Constitution forbids you.

Apart from that pesky fact, you'd be out murdering non-believers where they stood...

... it's what you Genuine Christians™ are historically famous for, after all.

Remember the Crusades? Salem, Ma?

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#217103 Mar 5, 2014
Hidingfromyou wrote:
<quoted text>
You are misquoting Harris. That's quite appalling.
You and I have already had many discussions about intellectual dishonesty - yet here you are, continuing in that vein.
Here is the correct quote, in context by the author himself:
"The link between belief and behavior raises the stakes considerably. Some propositions are so dangerous that it may even be ethical to kill people for believing them. This may seem an extraordinary claim, but it merely enunciates an ordinary fact about the world in which we live. Certain beliefs place their adherents beyond the reach of every peaceful means of persuasion, while inspiring them to commit acts of extraordinary violence against others. There is, in fact, no talking to some people. If they cannot be captured, and they often cannot, otherwise tolerant people may be justified in killing them in self-defense. This is what the United States attempted in Afghanistan, and it is what we and other Western powers are bound to attempt, at an even greater cost to ourselves and to innocents abroad, elsewhere in the Muslim world. We will continue to spill blood in what is, at bottom, a war of ideas.- See more at: http://www.samharris.org/site/full_text/respo...
I don't agree with him, nor think that he fully flushed that out. He needed to add "and have demonstrated the propensity for carrying out their desires through actions that have resulted in grievous injuries and deaths."
Incidentally, even with that added in, I still don't agree with the above statement.
Thanks for the whole context-- I tried to find it myself, but all that came up were hate-filled godbot Lying For Jewsus™ websites.

I've never read any of Harris' books myself-- he's not my cuppa tea.

And I happen to agree with you, here (and disagree with Harris).
virtuanna

Sherman, TX

#217104 Mar 5, 2014
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
I always knew that Einstein guy was smart - despite the hair.
I object to him calling you names. Lazy or not.
"Decorum is some important shit".
-Buck B. Crick
Einstein was not as extreme as Hiding would have you think.

" '...fanatical atheists... are like slaves who are still feeling the weight of their chains which they have thrown off after hard struggle. They are creatures who - in their grudge against the traditional "opium of the people" - cannot bear the music of the spheres.'(Einstein) Although he did not believe in a personal God, he indicated that he would never seek to combat such belief because 'such a belief seems to me preferable to the lack of any transcendental outlook'."

wikipedia

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#217105 Mar 5, 2014
virtuanna wrote:
<quoted text>Excellent.
You were banned, Nano.

Ironic, much?

LMAO!

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#217106 Mar 5, 2014
virtuanna wrote:
<quoted text>Einstein was not as extreme as Hiding would have you think.
" '...fanatical atheists... are like slaves who are still feeling the weight of their chains which they have thrown off after hard struggle. They are creatures who - in their grudge against the traditional "opium of the people" - cannot bear the music of the spheres.'(Einstein) Although he did not believe in a personal God, he indicated that he would never seek to combat such belief because 'such a belief seems to me preferable to the lack of any transcendental outlook'."
wikipedia
Lying sack-of-shyt quote-mine, from the viper godbot Nanomindless.

LMAO!

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#217107 Mar 5, 2014
virtuanna wrote:
<quoted text>No, that was bob.
Nope. I have always posted under this name.

In contrast to YOU, who has posted under a variety of names-- including your most sociopath one, Nanomindless (that's how you spelled it, right? I forget.. something like that)

I see you finally got that one banned.

LOL!
virtuanna

Sherman, TX

#217108 Mar 5, 2014
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
Christine recently proved there is no god using E=mc^2.
And she proved the Pope is an atheist.
I'm sure you are pleased someone has continued your work here.
lol , don't forget the ones who claimed that "virtual particles" (snickering) were proof...or Schrodinger's Cat....or the theory of relativity... or buttered bread always landing butter side down, deterministic universe...many worlds theory...blah blah blah....

arharharharharharHA!
virtuanna

Sherman, TX

#217109 Mar 5, 2014
And... BAM!!!!! The looneys instantly nailed the Einstein quote with their irrational judgicons.

ahahahahahahha

Very funny, considering Einstein would have found my company far more charming than any of you twits.

“H-o-o-o-o-o-o-ld on thar!”

Since: Sep 08

The Borderland of Sol

#217110 Mar 5, 2014
virtuanna

Sherman, TX

#217111 Mar 5, 2014
Bob of Quantum-Faith wrote:
<quoted text>
Nope. I have always posted under this name.
In contrast to YOU, who has posted under a variety of names-- including your most sociopath one, Nanomindless (that's how you spelled it, right? I forget.. something like that)
I see you finally got that one banned.
LOL!
Nope, not banned, just waiting for someone with a mind to comment on a particular post in my profile. If I make any more comments that post will disappear into Topix ether-land. I'm looking for that "one" genius that understands what it meant.

Too bad Topix has so few undamaged brains lurking.

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#217112 Mar 5, 2014
virtuanna wrote:
And... BAM!!!!! The looneys instantly nailed the Einstein quote with their irrational judgicons.
ahahahahahahha
Very funny, considering Einstein would have found my company far more charming than any of you twits.
Taking a partial statement out of context, and clipping out the relevent parts, is not a quote.

It's a form of lying-- it is how you roll, Nanomindless.

It's how you roll.

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#217113 Mar 5, 2014
macumazahn wrote:
That is quite sad.

It is also what happens, when people rely on **faith** instead of reason.

An example of the evils of Genuine Christianity™.

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#217114 Mar 5, 2014
virtuanna wrote:
<quoted text>Nope, not banned, just waiting for someone with a mind to comment on a particular post in my profile. If I make any more comments that post will disappear into Topix ether-land. I'm looking for that "one" genius that understands what it meant.
Too bad Topix has so few undamaged brains lurking.
liar.

You were banned and you know it-- it's a simple matter to copy something you wish to preserve into either a bookmark or even a document.

So you are lying, as is your habit.

Lying is what you do.
virtuanna

Sherman, TX

#217115 Mar 5, 2014
Bob of Quantum-Faith wrote:
<quoted text>
Lying sack-of-shyt quote-mine, from the viper godbot Nanomindless.
LMAO!
In a Time mag interview on Faith he said he believed that Jesus walked the Earth.

He didn't claim he believed that Jesus was a supernatural being...just that he DID exist.

It's hilarious how he's the only human that you jerks claim never existed.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

NCAA Basketball Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 6 min Grey Ghost 1,262,677
News Thousands Protest Roe V. Wade Decision (Jan '08) 46 min STO 310,327
What role do you think humans play in global wa... (Sep '14) 3 hr Randall L 6,460
News Judge overturns California's ban on same-sex ma... (Aug '10) 8 hr RiccardoFire 201,854
News UCLA FOOTBALL NOTEBOOK: Neuheisel says Prince w... (Sep '10) 19 hr tom wingo 29,848
News San Diego State basketball: Four-star prospect ... Jul 25 Fart news 2
The Email Address Debacle: Did Hillary Do Somet... Jul 25 xxxrayted 1,714
More from around the web