Atheism requires as much faith as rel...

Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

There are 258461 comments on the Webbunny tumblelog story from Jul 18, 2009, titled Atheism requires as much faith as religion?. In it, Webbunny tumblelog reports that:

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Webbunny tumblelog.

“H-o-o-o-o-o-o-ld on thar!”

Since: Sep 08

The Borderland of Sol

#217260 Mar 6, 2014
virtuanna wrote:
<quoted text>BS, it's the nature of all dogs to be predators and a dog that's bred to be even more aggressive should be against the law. Dogs are unpredictable and many that were previously docile acting have ended up turning on their owners, usually the members of the family that they think they can "take down", the very young and the elderly or crippled.
Dog bites are the second most common injury to children, second to playground accidents, 77% of all dog bites are to the face, which shows intent to kill! No kid deserves to experience that kind of terror or injury.
fu, flametard.
You've never had a dog, have you?

Since: May 10

Location hidden

#217261 Mar 6, 2014
ChristineM wrote:
<quoted text>
If you need to use toys and gadgets to turn you on rather then the good book and a locked closet then you are no godbot.
Give me a break. They locked me down at Danville and gave me 75 electorshock treaments in one month, while feeding me an anti-psychotic cocktail of drugs. One of the orderlies would sneak in and piss in my bed right before the shock so it would hurt more. Something happened to him later on, kinda' mysterious like.

So a few unorthodox habits can be understood, I would think.

RiversideRedneck

“Ditat Deus”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#217262 Mar 6, 2014
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
I know a guy named Feral.
His wife is named Ollie. I'm not kidding.
I know a husband and wife both named "Carol".
I have an uncle named "Doris".
I know a guy named "Junior" who does not have his dad's name, they just named him "Junior" because they liked it.
I know a woman who recently named her daughter "Rescue 911". Again, I'm not kidding.
A guy I went to school with named his son "Dirt".
You've known some strange people.

Back in WWI, I was a major in the Air Force. My last name was Woody...

Location hidden

#217263 Mar 6, 2014
blacklagoon wrote:
<quoted text>

Your really BIG God, murders innocent little babies. He also thinks slavery and rape are really good ideas.
I hear he's also a lousy tipper.

RiversideRedneck

“Ditat Deus”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#217264 Mar 6, 2014
Buck Crick wrote:
He knows that waitresses are overpaid.

No need to distribute the wealth.

The Borderland of Sol

#217265 Mar 6, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
The Bible does not instruct a Christian to kill.
"He said to them,ďBut now if you have a purse, take it, and also a bag; and if you have not a sword, sell your cloak and buy one.Ē
óLuke 22:36.

WTF you think swords are for?

Location hidden

#217266 Mar 6, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
A mastermind of a terrorist organization is not limiting himself to his beliefs, he's performing heinous actions that require action directed back at him. Harris said nothing of killing people (religious terrorists) for their actions, he said for the propositions, beliefs.
Give me one good example of killing someone, ethically as Harris said, for having a proposition.
To even make the comment that killing someone for a proposal is ludicrous and hateful.
Harris and his apologists have tried to wiggle out of this statement by saying he was referring to killing terrorists such as Al Queda.

It's a lie. That activity was occuring during and before his statement was made, and is a widely accepted measure to combat terrorism - and terrorism is action, not belief.

Harris was suggesting a propositional idea - killing a person for holding a belief he feels is dangerous. And he placed it into the context of religious beliefs.

He would not have offered a theoretical proposal of something already in place. That's backpedaling.

Location hidden

#217267 Mar 6, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
You've known some strange people.
Back in WWI, I was a major in the Air Force. My last name was Woody...
Yes, I have known some strange people. I don't know why.

I knew a guy who bought a breast pump and went door to door trying to sell it to women, hoping they would let him demonstrate it on them. I found it so unbelievable, I went with him twice to verify it. It was true.

“LOL Really?”

Since: Oct 10

Location hidden

#217268 Mar 6, 2014
Hidingfromyou wrote:
<quoted text>
It's funny. I came back yesterday and have utterly and totally destroyed your weak positions on every topic I've seen you post. I just came back to malinger b/c I had to craft a new syllabus and I'm finding you ... too easy.
I'm a bit sad. While I enjoy your humor, I'm wondering what's left of your intellect. Was it truly always this poor? Did some accident befall you while I was away?
I think he said his brother spit tobacco juice on him and then pushed him out of a truck or something like that.

The Borderland of Sol

#217269 Mar 6, 2014
It aint necessarily so wrote:
<quoted text>
<quoted text>
<quoted text>
Of course you think that all Americans are alike. Wanna narrow it down to a few Americans or just one?
We refer to the collective of churches, their denizens, their institutions, their bank accounts, their real estate, their ideology, and their history with one phrase - "the church" - just like we refer to the collective of Americans, their physical possessions, their land and resources, their institutions, their ideology, and their history by a single name as you just did - "America"
You're never going to get this, are you?
<quoted text>
<quoted text>
<quoted text>
You were hit in the head with a 2x4 this morning, weren't you?
Incidentally, I'm not pushing this boulder uphill for you. Move on.
Laffin.

Yes, I caught the Sisyphus reference, too.

“When you treat people as they ”

Since: Nov 10

treat you they get offended.

#217270 Mar 6, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Awesome.
You get the jelly, I'll bring the mashed taters and cats.
Donít forget your little short skirt and white knee socks

#217271 Mar 6, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes.....
Because the Bible is such a sexy read.
What about your "whatever turns you on" comment? Taking it back so soon?
You were the one wanting to dress like a schoolgirl

“A sentient umbrella speaks”

Since: Mar 11

Some stable somewhere

#217272 Mar 6, 2014
It aint necessarily so wrote:
<quoted text>
You didn't recognize her venom? None of the handful of other posters as vile as that (porter, Loblah, etc.) are posting as a woman. The others are all posting as males except KiMare, who is posting as both.
I thought it was Skombolis.

I certainly didn't think "nano" was posting as a woman.

:)

Some stable somewhere

#217273 Mar 6, 2014
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
Gibberish. Harris is suggesting it may be ethical to kill some people for believing something. Terrorists are killed for actions, not for believing. This is taking place now. So if Harris was proposing something that is taking place now, and widely accepted across the world, why would he present it as a proposition to consider? It would not be a theoretical proposition as he offers it. So he's talking about something else.
As I said, I can take a break from Topix if you wish to appear more credible.
By the way, I browsed the web and found multiple citations of the Harris quote using "belief', not "proposition". It is likely RR relied on such a reference, rather than lying, as you accused him. You might want to apologize.
Clearly you didn't read the sentence in context. His example was entirely about American power directed at terrorists.

What happened to your reading comprehension? Where's Buck?

Location hidden

#217274 Mar 6, 2014
Hidingfromyou wrote:
<quoted text>
It's funny. I came back yesterday and have utterly and totally destroyed your weak positions on every topic I've seen you post. I just came back to malinger b/c I had to craft a new syllabus and I'm finding you ... too easy.
I'm a bit sad. While I enjoy your humor, I'm wondering what's left of your intellect. Was it truly always this poor? Did some accident befall you while I was away?
Yeah, I know. I'm all red-faced.

I should be grateful. You taught me that belief is not belief, and that you simultaneously support and oppose the idea of killing someone for their belief.

Oh, and you convinced us that Sam Harris is suggesting fighting terrorists.

That's great stuff.

#217275 Mar 6, 2014
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
Give me a break. They locked me down at Danville and gave me 75 electorshock treaments in one month, while feeding me an anti-psychotic cocktail of drugs. One of the orderlies would sneak in and piss in my bed right before the shock so it would hurt more. Something happened to him later on, kinda' mysterious like.
So a few unorthodox habits can be understood, I would think.
And even with all that, they still didnít cure you.

Some stable somewhere

#217276 Mar 6, 2014
Aura Mytha wrote:
<quoted text>
Some gangsters are so well protected they cannot be brought to justice by conventional means. They will continue to operate above the law , committing murder, mayhem , piracy , kidnapping, extortion and terrorism until they are destroyed. The whole world is held hostage by such international criminals. There has to be a force they will answer too, lest the entire world become a completely lawless state of confusion and chaos where thugs like this can hide from justice.
You have made a number of claims above, including postulating that a criminal force, beyond any law, controls the world. That's...a bit unusual. Can you back that up?

#217277 Mar 6, 2014
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
So thatís where RR gets it form

Some stable somewhere

#217278 Mar 6, 2014
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
His attacks on religious thinking are "spot-on"?
So you agree that it may be ethical to kill people for believing certain propositions absent any wrongful act?
He didn't make that claim. Again, you're being intellectually dishonest here.

Some stable somewhere

#217279 Mar 6, 2014
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
Harris WAS talking about beliefs.
He said so himself, you fucking idiot!!
"The link between BELIEF and behavior raises the stakes considerably. Some propositions are so dangerous that it may even be ethical to kill people for BELIEVING them. This may seem an extraordinary claim, but it merely enunciates an ordinary fact about the world in which we live. Certain BELIEFS place their adherents beyond the reach of every peaceful means of persuasion, while inspiring them to commit acts of extraordinary violence against others."
<caps added in case you are too stupid to notice the word "belief">
I take it full arguments are too difficult for you? Rather than engage in the entirety of what's he's discussing, you just want to isolate key phrases for your convoluted and, apparently, weak, belief system so that you can further a misrepresentation of Harris' point?

Or is this about your mother, Buck?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

NCAA Basketball Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 2 min weaponX 1,563,758
News Thousands Protest Roe V. Wade Decision (Jan '08) 3 min John-K 315,184
What role do you think humans play in global wa... (Sep '14) 48 min Think 11,287
News UCLA FOOTBALL NOTEBOOK: Neuheisel says Prince w... (Sep '10) 23 hr Told Pharts 33,405
News Judge overturns California's ban on same-sex ma... (Aug '10) Jul 12 New boy 201,878
News Johnny Brown Added To Coaching Staff (Oct '07) Jul 1 Brown Pharts 3
News Tragedy strikes family members of Leasure (Jul '08) Jun '17 Evidence phart 9
More from around the web