Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent. Read more

Since: May 10

Location hidden

#216949 Mar 5, 2014
blacklagoon wrote:
<quoted text>Given the opportunity would you have done everything in your power to stop the 9/11 attacks including killing? If your answer is yes, and no other answer is acceptable, then you would have killed for someones belief. The belief that this attack was the will of Allah, and that killing as many infidels as possible was a ticket to eternal bliss, is in fact a dangerous belief, and it would have been highly ethical to kill these people based on their "dangerous beliefs." We called the brave men who stormed the cockpit "heros" for their attempt to kill these religious fanatics.
So Sam Harris is correct, there are some beliefs that are so dangerous, that killing these people who not only hold these beliefs but act on them, would be considered necessary to preserve the lives of others.
Heard of "due process"? It's in the Constitution. Heard of the "Constitution"?

It is a protection against people with ideas like you and Sam Harris.

You are a perfect example of why atheists should never be allowed to have political power.

By the way, Shit-for-Brains, the hijackers in the cockpit were not stormed for their thoughts. The problem was their actions.

“Ditat Deus”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#216950 Mar 5, 2014
Buck Crick wrote:
Don't bother. I tried it. She just laid there.
Probably too busy thinking about your geneology...
Eagle 12

Troy, IL

#216951 Mar 5, 2014
Bob of Quantum-Faith wrote:
<quoted text>
What is most interesting about all this?
Is that it is **always** and without **any** exceptions,**SCIENCE** who discovers the fakes.
Always.
**NEVER** is it religion.
I suppose this is because religion is in the business of fakery, and lacks the tools to tell real from fake.
Science has a very broad definition and meaning. But basically it is a category containing many sub categories.

It is not science that discovers fakes and fraud in the science category. It’s people that do.
As far as your religious assertion of fakery. Those soups and sandwiches given to the poor and homeless by religious charities is fake?

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#216952 Mar 5, 2014
Catcher1 wrote:
<quoted text>
I can't remember a $22 meal, so I can't answer that. I consider a 20% tip appropriate for average, regular service, nothing special but nothing to complain about. I start there, and tip more if the service has made my dining experience more pleasant. At restaurants where I dine often, I tip at least 25%, because the relationship means something to me.
I get lots of complimentary breakfasts at hotels, and always leave $5 on the table whether I have just coffee and toast, or the buffet, or an omelette from the kitchen.
Oh boy... You can't remember a $22 meal?

Is that because you're so awesome?

That's great that you start at 20%. Why? Do you still give a 20% tip for a shitty waitress? If so, why?

“MEET ROSEMARY-She Seeks Home”

Since: Oct 10

With Established Harem

#216953 Mar 5, 2014
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
Don't bother. I tried it. She just laid there.
.. I'm sorry ..

“Life may be sweeter for this”

Since: Nov 08

Fennario

#216954 Mar 5, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
Hip's talking about the entire Christian community, over 2 billion people. You're talking about one part of it, Mormon's. You can't rightly compare the two.
It's not a comparison. The Mormons are one part of the grift. The Catholics another and the Protestants another. Every element that has been looked at does about as badly. Do you have any data that can put these suspicions to rest?

You can't polish this turd with apologetics. You'll need reliable data, and lots of it.

Since: Sep 10

San Francisco, CA

#216955 Mar 5, 2014
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
Jed was played by Buddy Epsom.
Buddy Ebsen.

I have mentioned before that Buddy and his wife Dotty were my neighbors for several years. Great people. Buddy (who died a few years ago in his mid-90s) was an incredible person, thoughtful and generous, with a great sense of humor, and a very good friend. He lived in my neighborhood because he disliked the celebrity lifestyle and preferred a quiet existence. Well into his 80s, he'd invite me over to watch him practice his tap dancing, and sometimes he'd get in the pool and ask me to critique his stroke.(Buddy was a swimmer as a youth in Florida.) It's a little known fact that Buddy was cast as the Tin Man in the Wizard of Oz, but during the filming he got sick, and the doctors diagnosed him with an allergy to the metal in the costume, so he had to drop out of the movie.

On the night that Halley's Comet was due to make its once-every-75-years pass, he called and asked if I'd walk along the beach with him and see if we could observe the comet. We didn't see it, but it was a memorable experience nonetheless.

Since: May 10

Location hidden

#216956 Mar 5, 2014
Darwins Stepchild wrote:
<quoted text>
You need to keep in mind that RR's thinking is black-or-white. There is only "never necessaryl" and "always necessary". There is no "may be".
BTW...good analysis.
The "may be necessary" is all that is required to put Harris in the camp of willing to entertain killing people for their beliefs, while innocent of any wrong action.

Of course he would not use "always necessary". He wouldn't favor killing every person for every belief.

And you think that makes him reasonable. You are a dumbass.
Eagle 12

Troy, IL

#216957 Mar 5, 2014
ChristINSANITY is EVIL wrote:
<quoted text>
How do YOU decide what is Fake and what is. Real Science ?
How do I decide?

I don’t decide but remain skeptical of imaginary sciences. Sciences based on guesses and speculation wrapped up in a nice complex worded document or journal.

Just because a so called science article, journal, or document has a dump truck of convoluted words doesn’t mean I believe in it.

“Move into the light.”

Since: Dec 10

Location hidden

#216958 Mar 5, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
I've never heard that before. Is it true?
Yes it is.

San Francisco, CA

#216959 Mar 5, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Probably too busy thinking about your geneology...
No such thing, Mr. no GED.
Eagle 12

Troy, IL

#216960 Mar 5, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
That's great that you start at 20%. Why? Do you still give a 20% tip for a shitty waitress? If so, why?
I know that question is for Catcher but I always tip better than 15% regardless of the waitress service. Very seldom if ever has it been poor. But waitress don’t make a lot of money and they are often Moms trying to feed their families.

Everyone has a bad day and personal problems can be distracting. I find when I tip good that the service improves for my next visit. People have to make a living these days and tips is how a lot of waitress put bread on the table.

If I get repeated bad service I’ll just no longer visit that establishment for a while.

Since: Jul 09

Location hidden

#216961 Mar 5, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
That's awesome.
On time, when I was really down on my luck and refused any state aid, someone sent me a money order in the mail for $4,000. I never found out who it was from. That's Christian generosity for ya.
1: I do not believe your story

2: If you do not know "who it was from"(sic): then you do not know it was christian generosity!

3: you are a habitual and inefficient Liar.

San Francisco, CA

#216962 Mar 5, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Servers are underpaid, and they work hard for their money. We all have bad days, and I won't be the one to punish a person for having one. And generosity, in my view, is like virtue--its own reward. BTW, I always pay for meals with a credit card, but I prefer to leave a cash tip--that way it ends up where I want it; some restaurant owner/managers cheat their staff.

“Turning coffee into theorems”

Since: Dec 06

Trapped inside a Klein Bottle

#216963 Mar 5, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Mormons, technically known as The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, are a Christian denomination.
I agree with you.

Not everyone does.

Ergo...debatable.

You seem to think your opinion is the only one that matters.

“Turning coffee into theorems”

Since: Dec 06

Trapped inside a Klein Bottle

#216964 Mar 5, 2014
BenAdam wrote:
<quoted text>
I thought it was Elli May.
No, Elli May was Buck's wet dream.

“Life may be sweeter for this”

Since: Nov 08

Fennario

#216965 Mar 5, 2014
Hidingfromyou wrote:
<quoted text>
You're incorrectly summing up Harris' argument.
At least three theist posters are savaging Harris based on a misrepresentation of one or two comments that I don't believe actually offends any of them. Does anybody really believe that the viper nanoanomaly wouldn't kill half of this thread for their beliefs? Riverside Redneck worships a god that tortures for eternity for thoughts, and Buck seems to hate Harris' thoughts enough to want to smash his face. So all of this outrage at Harris and thought crimes seems a tad insincere.

So what are they all really so angry at him for if not the comment they continually redirect us to? It must be all of the rest, which suggests that Harris' arguments are hitting home with believers as well. I admire the man tremendously:

This is the kind of thing that they really object to:

“Religion tells us that sin is what justifies eternal punishment in the next life…this is, to my mind, the mother of all cultural war issues. This is where science really pulls the keystone out of religion. If you recall the general picture, we’ve all inherited original sin because Adam and Eve misused their free will. For eons, God gave us no guidance whatsoever. Then he wrote a few uneven books that were filled with rumors of ancient miracles. And then he holds us responsible for the slightest doubt we have about his existence on the basis of these books — though he has stacked the deck against us by giving us a faculty of reason and strangely, an ability to write better books than the ones he has supposedly written.”– Sam Harris

"The god that our neighbors believe ...[has] got galaxy upon galaxy to attend to, but he’s especially concerned with what we do, and he’s especially concerned with what we do while naked.”– Sam Harris

"If someone doesn’t value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove they should value it? If someone doesn’t value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" - Sam Harris

“The problem with fascism and communism, however, is not that they are too critical of religion; the problem is that they are too much like religions. Such regimes are dogmatic to the core and generally give rise to personality cults that are indistinguishable from cults of religious hero worship ... There is no society in human history that ever suffered because its people became too reasonable.”- Sam Harris

”Just as we don’t have Christian physics … and we don’thave Muslim algebra … we at some point will not have Christian or Muslim morality." – Sam Harris

“George Bush says he speaks to god every day, and christians love him for it. If George Bush said he spoke to god through his hair dryer, they would think he was mad. I fail to see how the addition of a hair dryer makes it any more absurd.”– Sam Harris

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#216966 Mar 5, 2014
It aint necessarily so wrote:
Do yourself a favor and stop talking about science. And statistics.
You remember what I told Feltcher about his advice ?

“Love much, trust none”

Since: Jul 11

There

#216967 Mar 5, 2014
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
MURDERING FOR BELIEF
The total body count killed for atheism for only ninety years between 1917 and 2007 is approximately 148 million dead, which is several times the number killed by all religions in 3,000 years, and several thousand times higher on an annual basis than all the killing done by Al Qaeda.
No one was ever killed 'for atheism'. No more than a single Iraqi in the last 30 years was killed 'for Christianity'.

I think you need to replace the duct-tape on your neck.

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#216968 Mar 5, 2014
It aint necessarily so wrote:
<quoted text>
It's not a comparison. The Mormons are one part of the grift. The Catholics another and the Protestants another. Every element that has been looked at does about as badly. Do you have any data that can put these suspicions to rest?
You can't polish this turd with apologetics. You'll need reliable data, and lots of it.
It's a good thing I don't have take orders from you.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

NCAA Basketball Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 7 min RealDave 1,207,378
News Judge overturns California's ban on same-sex ma... (Aug '10) 20 min Big D 201,800
News Thousands Protest Roe V. Wade Decision (Jan '08) 1 hr jimi-yank 309,295
How to Recover Deleted or lost Contacts from Sa... 4 hr Lora_14 4
News UCLA FOOTBALL NOTEBOOK: Neuheisel says Prince w... (Sep '10) 7 hr Bruin For Life 29,294
What role do you think humans play in global wa... (Sep '14) 16 hr Earthling-1 4,981
How to recover lost data from iPhone/iPad/iPod- (Jan '14) Mar 26 kareeo 14
More from around the web