Atheism requires as much faith as rel...

Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

There are 258469 comments on the Webbunny tumblelog story from Jul 18, 2009, titled Atheism requires as much faith as religion?. In it, Webbunny tumblelog reports that:

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Webbunny tumblelog.

virtuanna

Texarkana, TX

#217150 Mar 6, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
By Harris' thinking, you could kill me just for thinking about shooting you.
It's a good damn thing secular humanists aren't in charge.
Yep, that's what his chemo/surgery/gene splicing lobotomy dreams are about...killing those naughty "thought crimes" before they get "thought about". His own dreams are hate dreams which should, rightfully, also be considered as thought crime. "This" coming from a hypocrite who pretends to care about every individual's free will in his decidedly deceptive, subter-fugal, "All you/we have is your/our mind" video. Can you imagine what it would be like in a world where whoever was in charge of legislating decided who got lobotomized for "which" thought crime"? It appears Harris lacks the fore-sight to even consider the overthrow of his own regime and the ensuing administration of the same law being used against his extreme hate filled thoughts.

His granny must not have given him the classic matriarchal warning, "Be careful what you wish for."
>:}

“KiMare'a the Monster Mutation”

Since: Nov 10

Location hidden

#217151 Mar 6, 2014
Darwins Stepchild wrote:
<quoted text>
Oh. Please forgive me. That's old news. It was 80% in 2005. Now it is 76%.
Still doesn't help RR with his argument. That Christian 76% donates 32% of the charity in the US.
Wow. Look at those generous Christians compared to those stingy non-Christians (the 24% that give 68% of the charity.)
Still no sources?

Who is labeled 'Christian'?

It is the difference between someone who says so, and someone who lives so, or, a parent who says they are a good parent, and a parent who is a good parent.

Try again.

Smile.

Location hidden

#217152 Mar 6, 2014
Darwins Stepchild wrote:
<quoted text>
You should note...
1) the $214 million figure was RR's, not mine
and
2) I clearly stated that I thought RR's figure was way low.
As usual, you misrepresent.
KiMare...the veracity challenged.
All you should have done is verified.

Location hidden

#217153 Mar 6, 2014
Darwins Stepchild wrote:
<quoted text>
Notice that the error was RR's, one of KiMare's fellow theists. But KiMare chooses to twist the facts and blame atheists for the mistake.
Now we know.
I knew the figure was off for whatever reason simply from common sense and moral discretion.

You didn't.

Location hidden

#217154 Mar 6, 2014
Hidingfromyou wrote:
<quoted text>
Liberal churches believe in fake gods with fake churches?
Ok.
Their god is too small. They are smarter and more moral in their own eyes.

“When you treat people as they ”

treat you they get offended.

#217155 Mar 6, 2014
It aint necessarily so wrote:
<quoted text>
He's even less credible with statistics.
Never mind statistics, hes just generally less credible

#217156 Mar 6, 2014
Rosa_Winkel wrote:
<quoted text>
Karma, hey? CFCs and the hole in the ozone layer means he was a walking environmental disaster. If they only knew back then...
Yes he was, the only one claimed to beat him at least on a per capita basis was the abrahamic god who it is said killed 99.999999% of the population, all except a handful of buddies.

#217158 Mar 6, 2014
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
Christine recently proved there is no god using E=mc^2.
And she proved the Pope is an atheist.
I'm sure you are pleased someone has continued your work here.
Lying again buck? Why am I not surprised?

E=MC^2 proves that there is no god as defined in KJV 19:6 as I have repeatedly told you and you have repeatedly ignored because it does not suit you lies. And it certainly does not prove that there is no god using E=MC^2

Despite having requested several times that you provide evidence that I made the statement that the pope is atheist you have repeatedly been unable to provide any. Why do you think this is? Is it because there is no such evidence? What really happened here is that you could not understand the implications of the post and so made up BS in order to dig yourself out of a hole and you failed again.

As a good godbot I am sure that one day you will learn but in the meantime feel free continue going round and round in your lies

Since: Jan 11

Location hidden

#217159 Mar 6, 2014
Hidingfromyou wrote:
I thought of perhaps a better scenario for Harris' point. It goes like this:
Some guy comes into your house, with a gun, and tells you his is going to shoot your children. He hasn't done it yet and you don't know whether he has killed someone, but you have a gun that he cannot see. Is it acceptable for you to kill him for that proposition?
That's the clearest case that I can come up with supporting Harris' argument. It's kind of an interesting argument to say "When the US bombs terrorist planners, they are killing people for their propositions" but it totally misses the point that such planners have, in the past, fomented the mass death of innocents. So there's more than a simple proposition to kill, and a belief system enabling that killing, and he's sort of skipping over that.
I think he needs to add in the axiom "past behavior is the best predictor of future behavior" to better support his argument.
You'd added a lot to this discussion and moved it forward.

It's too bad you can't be here...always....<sniffle >

I would like to point to the importance of belief structures. Al Qaeda is more than a collection of beliefs, it's a system of installing a specific belief structure, that reliably produces people who act predictably. In that way it is different than the religion that provides the core concepts.

I would also like to point out the difference between the principles that Harris is talking about and the possible applications of it. The practical applications of this principle are highly problematic for a myriad of reasons. It's so messy. We need to acknowledge how far from ideal our responses to threats are.

“Rainbow: God's covenant ”

Since: May 07

Fort Lauderdale, FL

#217160 Mar 6, 2014
virtuanna wrote:
<quoted text>The twisted liberals are already changing policy in public schools concerning violence.
Now they are pushing/suggesting kids get involved in conflicts to protect another kid from bullying.
Remember when fighting was absolutely forbidden at school... even when it was SELF defense?
I recall getting called on smacking a boy for pinching my boob, I told that teacher to chew out the shyt who started it and she shut up.
Now the radicals want our kids to risk their own hide for someone else, risk being bullied mercilessly for it themselves..
Hopefully, it will be their own kid that ends up proving that indoctrination to be pure BS.
Some will never learn. Within the last year in a nearby town (Lakeland) a 13 year old girl killed herself due to kids that they say were bulling her. This is at the height of a huge campaign against bullying from the biggest one of all (Obama) down to posters in schools. Kids pay more attention to what people do vs what they say. The bs going on in schools here is why one of my friends homeschools his kids and another is looking into it.

“Ditat Deus”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#217161 Mar 6, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:

You truly are one of the dumbest people I've ever known.

At least you're not claiming dinosaurs didn't have DNA, though...
BenAdam wrote:
So you think Manson killed someone ?
Damn, your brain damage is extensive.
Yup. That's exactly what I said.

o.O

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#217162 Mar 6, 2014
blacklagoon wrote:
<quoted text>Unfortunately, but not surprising, you have no idea of the context of Harris's statement. You take something he said that pervert its meaning to suit your agenda. Thats not only dishonest and desperate, but stupid.
Non of the beliefs I stated would be considered dangerous by themselves, but if taken to the extreme could be considered dangerous.
But please do keep up your childish tactics, it's highly entertaining.
Oh.

They aren't considered dangerous but could be considered dangerous.

Thanks for clearing that up.

Now which beliefs would make it ethical to kill someone for having said belief?

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#217163 Mar 6, 2014
Catcher1 wrote:
<quoted text>
Why do you ask such difficult questions?
No question I ask should be difficult for the mind of the Topix Atheist! intellectual.

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#217164 Mar 6, 2014
blacklagoon wrote:
<quoted text>Prior to 1869 no none on the face of the planet knew that DNA existed, as far as science was concerned DNA did not exist until it was discovered in 1869 by Johann Friedrich-Mieschur.
There was also a time when no one on the face of the planet knew that microorganisms existed, as far as science was concerned microorganisms did not exist until they were discovered.
So you claim that I said dinosaurs "didn't" have DNA is a complete lie. Not uncommon for you to lie your ass off.
I now challenge you to cut and paste the portion of my post where I "claimed Dinosaurs didn't have DNA."
I dar ya assclown, I double dare ya to post it. It MUST contain these exact words "Dinosaurs didn't have DNA."
Peer pressure has nil effect on RR.

It's nice knowing that microorganisms didn't exist until they were discovered, too.

Another helping hand from you.

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#217165 Mar 6, 2014
Hidingfromyou wrote:
<quoted text>
You can do whatever you want. The damaging parts of your religion needs to be attacked and removed - especially the gross ignorance you personally continue to spread.
ooo lala

I've never been attacked by a Japan chickie.

Let's rock-n-roll.

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#217166 Mar 6, 2014
Hidingfromyou wrote:
It's been tested over and over. The information is available for anyone who can read - and there's no excuse for the kind of stupidity and ignorance you, and other religious people, continue to espouse.
The common ancestor remains a scientific guess, a myth to those that revere science.

You cannot prove me wrong on this.

Since: May 10

Location hidden

#217167 Mar 6, 2014
Catcher1 wrote:
<quoted text>
That's what I mean about your pedantry, Buck.
OK. Forget the distinction between quoting out of context and misquoting.
Either way, it's misleading.
And the misleading is the dishonesty.
No, you're wrong, Counselor.

Misquoting is misleading.

Quoting out of context can be misleading or not, depending on the implication made.

And that's not pedantry. It's fundamental scholarship.

In the case of Sam Harris' quotation, it is not misleading, because the portion of his discourse that is quoted means exactly the same thing it means when the surrounding verbiage is supplied.

It seems I'm the only scholarly writer on this thread.

“Rainbow: God's covenant ”

Since: May 07

United States

#217168 Mar 6, 2014
virtuanna wrote:
<quoted text>Yep, that's exactly how his hypocrisy works. He hasn't even considered a coup where the technology ended up being used on the one who encouraged it in the first place.
I suspect he's best buds with Obama's Science Czar, John Holdren, the psychopath who suggested forced, mandatory abortions for the poor and sneaking drugs into the public water supply. the low-life pieces of shyt.
I forgot about Holdren. He should be the face of the ever so full of compassion left. The mask they hide under is slowly being removed.

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#217169 Mar 6, 2014
Hidingfromyou wrote:
Your mythological text orders genocides and murders all throughout the older parts of it.
The Bible does not instruct a Christian to kill.
OG Kush

Jacksonville, FL

#217170 Mar 6, 2014
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
MURDERING FOR BELIEF
The total body count killed for atheism for only ninety years between 1917 and 2007 is approximately 148 million dead, which is several times the number killed by all religions in 3,000 years, and several thousand times higher on an annual basis than all the killing done by Al Qaeda.
Wrong again as usual

According to your belief the world's greatest mass murderer is the object of your devotion! Mr. Flood himself.

By the way - Buddy's last name was not Epsom and he didn't discover salt.

Try Buddy Ebsen who danced with Shirley Temple it was Davy Crockett sidekick in the Disney series.

http://m.youtube.com/watch...

BUH BYE

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

NCAA Basketball Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 8 min RiccardoFire 1,534,724
News Thousands Protest Roe V. Wade Decision (Jan '08) 9 hr ThomasA 314,308
News UCLA FOOTBALL NOTEBOOK: Neuheisel says Prince w... (Sep '10) 9 hr The phartss 33,088
What role do you think humans play in global wa... (Sep '14) May 16 Patriot 11,170
Penn State University & State College May 12 Truechange 1
I got my loan from [email protected] (Jun '13) Apr '17 GLOBAL FUNDING SO... 43
How to Recover Deleted or lost Contacts from Sa... (Dec '14) Apr '17 DelucaKoehn 11
More from around the web