Atheism requires as much faith as rel...

Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

There are 245264 comments on the Webbunny tumblelog story from Jul 18, 2009, titled Atheism requires as much faith as religion?. In it, Webbunny tumblelog reports that:

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Webbunny tumblelog.

“Love much, trust none”

Since: Jul 11

There

#216938 Mar 5, 2014
Catcher1 wrote:
<quoted text>
Woe is poor little you.
He is going to have to dig another hole to put all his persecution points in.

Since: May 10

Location hidden

#216939 Mar 5, 2014
karl44 wrote:
<quoted text>
it is time that the church and it's parishioners paid their full fair share of taxes.
The USA should tax their churches and pay off the national debt.
It wouldn't be used to pay off the debt. Obama would put it in his Global Warming Slush Fund, give grants to another solar panel company who's going out of business, and buy Michelle a gold bustle to cover up her huge ass.

Location hidden

#216940 Mar 5, 2014
River Tam wrote:
<quoted text>
Jedism? Is that based on The Beverly Hillbillies?
Jim Varney was a national treasure.
Jed was played by Buddy Epsom.

“Ditat Deus”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#216941 Mar 5, 2014
Happy Lesbo wrote:
<quoted text>
.. depends. If the waitress is topless, big bucks ..
Sucker.

I fell for that once.

Only once.

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#216942 Mar 5, 2014
Aura Mytha wrote:
Working people tip better than professionals.
I've never heard that before. Is it true?

“Life may be sweeter for this”

Since: Nov 08

Fennario

#216943 Mar 5, 2014
It aint necessarily so wrote:
The Affirmations of Humanism - A Statement of Principles
http://www.secularhumanism.org/index.php/12
• We are committed to the application of reason and science to the understanding of the universe and to the solving of human problems.
• We deplore efforts to denigrate human intelligence, to seek to explain the world in supernatural terms, and to look outside nature for salvation.
• We believe that scientific discovery and technology can contribute to the betterment of human life.
• We believe in an open and pluralistic society and that democracy is the best guarantee of protecting human rights from authoritarian elites and repressive majorities.
• We are committed to the principle of the separation of church and state.
• We cultivate the arts of negotiation and compromise as a means of resolving differences and achieving mutual understanding.
• We are concerned with securing justice and fairness in society and with eliminating discrimination and intolerance.
• We believe in supporting the disadvantaged and the handicapped so that they will be able to help themselves.
• We attempt to transcend divisive parochial loyalties based on race, religion, gender, nationality, creed, class, sexual orientation, or ethnicity, and strive to work together for the common good of humanity.
• We want to protect and enhance the earth, to preserve it for future generations, and to avoid inflicting needless suffering on other species.
• We believe in enjoying life here and now and in developing our creative talents to their fullest.
• We believe in the cultivation of moral excellence.
• We respect the right to privacy. Mature adults should be allowed to fulfill tprophheir aspirations, to express their sexual preferences, to exercise reproductive freedom, to have access to comprehensive and informed health-care, and to die with dignity.
• We believe in the common moral decencies: altruism, integrity, honesty, truthfulness, responsibility. Humanist ethics is amenable to critical, rational guidance. There are normative standards that we discover together. Moral principles are tested by their consequences.
• We are deeply concerned with the moral education of our children. We want to nourish reason and compassion.
• We are engaged by the arts no less than by the sciences.
• We are citizens of the universe and are excited by discoveries still to be made in the cosmos.
• We are skeptical of untested claims to knowledge, and we are open to novel ideas and seek new departures in our thinking.
• We affirm humanism as a realistic alternative to theologies of despair and ideologies of violence and as a source of rich personal significance and genuine satisfaction in the service to others.
• We believe in optimism rather than pessimism, hope rather than despair, learning in the place of dogma, truth instead of ignorance, joy rather than guilt or sin, tolerance in the place of fear, love instead of hatred, compassion over selfishness, beauty instead of ugliness, and reason rather than blind faith or irrationality.
• We believe in the fullest realization of the best and noblest that we are capable of as human beings
RiversideRedneck wrote:
You forgot one:
•. We believe it's ethical to kill someone for their beliefs.
That's you're rebuttal to all of that - a misrepresentation of one man's comment? This is why millennials are rejecting Christianity. You've got nothing to offer.

Incidentally, eternal torture for a thought crime is Yahway's shtick, not ours.

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#216944 Mar 5, 2014
Catcher1 wrote:
Woe is poor little you.
Don't you mean boo hoo?

Location hidden

#216945 Mar 5, 2014
Tide with Beach wrote:
<quoted text>

If every member of Al Qaeda changed their beliefs to Jainism, they would no longer pose a threat. They would transform from one of the biggest threats to mankind into no threat at all, because of a change in belief.
MURDERING FOR BELIEF

The total body count killed for atheism for only ninety years between 1917 and 2007 is approximately 148 million dead, which is several times the number killed by all religions in 3,000 years, and several thousand times higher on an annual basis than all the killing done by Al Qaeda.

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#216946 Mar 5, 2014
<quoted text>
Every single piece of evidence presented on this thread with a percentage attached to it presented by theist or atheist has been well below 10%. I'm setting my guestimate at about 6%-7% of total receipts go to the needy, perhaps less. I realize that you hope that it's more, and so do I. Let's promise one another that we'll share any reliable information that we happen upon that suggests that any (tax exempt) Christian collection plate does better. I think most Ponzi schemes actually have to return more than that to maintain their illusion.
Of course you still think that all Christians churches are alike.

Wanna narrow it down to a few churches or just one?

Check out Harvest Christian Fellowship, here in Riverside. It's the eighth largest Christian church in America. Yup, in "dusty" Riverside, as Feltcher puts it.

Fennario

#216947 Mar 5, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
ToE cannot exist unless they assume that all life came from one life, one first life. As of yet, that pesky common ancestor thingymabob remains undetected and likely is undetectable. That's one big giant fuckingguess.
Do yourself a favor and stop talking about science. And statistics.

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#216948 Mar 5, 2014
Point?
If you haven't gotten it by now, you likely never will.

Location hidden

#216949 Mar 5, 2014
blacklagoon wrote:
<quoted text>Given the opportunity would you have done everything in your power to stop the 9/11 attacks including killing? If your answer is yes, and no other answer is acceptable, then you would have killed for someones belief. The belief that this attack was the will of Allah, and that killing as many infidels as possible was a ticket to eternal bliss, is in fact a dangerous belief, and it would have been highly ethical to kill these people based on their "dangerous beliefs." We called the brave men who stormed the cockpit "heros" for their attempt to kill these religious fanatics.
So Sam Harris is correct, there are some beliefs that are so dangerous, that killing these people who not only hold these beliefs but act on them, would be considered necessary to preserve the lives of others.
Heard of "due process"? It's in the Constitution. Heard of the "Constitution"?

It is a protection against people with ideas like you and Sam Harris.

You are a perfect example of why atheists should never be allowed to have political power.

By the way, Shit-for-Brains, the hijackers in the cockpit were not stormed for their thoughts. The problem was their actions.

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#216950 Mar 5, 2014
Buck Crick wrote:
Don't bother. I tried it. She just laid there.
Probably too busy thinking about your geneology...
Eagle 12

Troy, IL

#216951 Mar 5, 2014
Bob of Quantum-Faith wrote:
<quoted text>
What is most interesting about all this?
Is that it is **always** and without **any** exceptions,**SCIENCE** who discovers the fakes.
Always.
**NEVER** is it religion.
I suppose this is because religion is in the business of fakery, and lacks the tools to tell real from fake.
Science has a very broad definition and meaning. But basically it is a category containing many sub categories.

It is not science that discovers fakes and fraud in the science category. It’s people that do.
As far as your religious assertion of fakery. Those soups and sandwiches given to the poor and homeless by religious charities is fake?

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#216952 Mar 5, 2014
Catcher1 wrote:
<quoted text>
I can't remember a $22 meal, so I can't answer that. I consider a 20% tip appropriate for average, regular service, nothing special but nothing to complain about. I start there, and tip more if the service has made my dining experience more pleasant. At restaurants where I dine often, I tip at least 25%, because the relationship means something to me.
I get lots of complimentary breakfasts at hotels, and always leave $5 on the table whether I have just coffee and toast, or the buffet, or an omelette from the kitchen.
Oh boy... You can't remember a $22 meal?

Is that because you're so awesome?

That's great that you start at 20%. Why? Do you still give a 20% tip for a shitty waitress? If so, why?

“MEET KIKI -She Seeks Home”

Since: Oct 10

With Established Harem

#216953 Mar 5, 2014
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
Don't bother. I tried it. She just laid there.
.. I'm sorry ..

Fennario

#216954 Mar 5, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
Hip's talking about the entire Christian community, over 2 billion people. You're talking about one part of it, Mormon's. You can't rightly compare the two.
It's not a comparison. The Mormons are one part of the grift. The Catholics another and the Protestants another. Every element that has been looked at does about as badly. Do you have any data that can put these suspicions to rest?

You can't polish this turd with apologetics. You'll need reliable data, and lots of it.

Since: Sep 10

San Francisco, CA

#216955 Mar 5, 2014
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
Jed was played by Buddy Epsom.
Buddy Ebsen.

I have mentioned before that Buddy and his wife Dotty were my neighbors for several years. Great people. Buddy (who died a few years ago in his mid-90s) was an incredible person, thoughtful and generous, with a great sense of humor, and a very good friend. He lived in my neighborhood because he disliked the celebrity lifestyle and preferred a quiet existence. Well into his 80s, he'd invite me over to watch him practice his tap dancing, and sometimes he'd get in the pool and ask me to critique his stroke.(Buddy was a swimmer as a youth in Florida.) It's a little known fact that Buddy was cast as the Tin Man in the Wizard of Oz, but during the filming he got sick, and the doctors diagnosed him with an allergy to the metal in the costume, so he had to drop out of the movie.

On the night that Halley's Comet was due to make its once-every-75-years pass, he called and asked if I'd walk along the beach with him and see if we could observe the comet. We didn't see it, but it was a memorable experience nonetheless.

Location hidden

#216956 Mar 5, 2014
Darwins Stepchild wrote:
<quoted text>
You need to keep in mind that RR's thinking is black-or-white. There is only "never necessaryl" and "always necessary". There is no "may be".
BTW...good analysis.
The "may be necessary" is all that is required to put Harris in the camp of willing to entertain killing people for their beliefs, while innocent of any wrong action.

Of course he would not use "always necessary". He wouldn't favor killing every person for every belief.

And you think that makes him reasonable. You are a dumbass.
Eagle 12

Troy, IL

#216957 Mar 5, 2014
ChristINSANITY is EVIL wrote:
<quoted text>
How do YOU decide what is Fake and what is. Real Science ?
How do I decide?

I don’t decide but remain skeptical of imaginary sciences. Sciences based on guesses and speculation wrapped up in a nice complex worded document or journal.

Just because a so called science article, journal, or document has a dump truck of convoluted words doesn’t mean I believe in it.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

NCAA Basketball Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News UCLA FOOTBALL NOTEBOOK: Neuheisel says Prince w... (Sep '10) 9 min tom wingo 29,856
News Thousands Protest Roe V. Wade Decision (Jan '08) 9 min Brian_G 310,378
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 10 min USAsince1680 1,265,094
What role do you think humans play in global wa... (Sep '14) 2 hr EDA 6,515
The Email Address Debacle: Did Hillary Do Somet... Aug 2 Brian_G 1,716
I got my loan from [email protected] (Jun '13) Jul 31 bernarlyn 33
News Judge overturns California's ban on same-sex ma... (Aug '10) Jul 29 RiccardoFire 201,844
More from around the web