Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

There are 20 comments on the Webbunny tumblelog story from Jul 18, 2009, titled Atheism requires as much faith as religion?. In it, Webbunny tumblelog reports that:

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Webbunny tumblelog.

“Ditat Deus”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#216817 Mar 5, 2014
Hidingfromyou wrote:
<quoted text>
"The Red Cross Movement is not a political or religious organisation. This neutrality means that we can reach and offer unconditional help to people in need whoever and wherever they are."
http://www.redcross.org.uk/About-us/Who-we-ar...
Furthermore, you clearly, painfully, know nothing of the history of Haiti and how it was impoverished and attacked by "Christian" nations including the US, UK, Germany and France.
Please read this from one of the greatest humanitarians alive:
http://www.lrb.co.uk/v26/n08/paul-farmer/who-...
"In November 1803 the former slaves won what proved to be the war’s final battle, and on 1 January 1804 declared the independent republic of Haiti. It was Latin America’s first independent country and the only nation ever born of a slave revolt. The Haitian Revolution, Dubois writes, was ‘a dramatic challenge to the world as it then was. Slavery was at the heart of the thriving system of merchant capitalism that was profiting Europe, devastating Africa, and propelling the rapid expansion of the Americas.’ Independent Haiti had few friends. Virtually all the world’s powers sided with France against the self-proclaimed Black Republic, which declared itself a haven not only for runaway slaves but also for indigenous people from the rest of the Americas (the true natives of Haiti had succumbed to infectious disease and Spanish slavery well before the arrival of the French). Hemmed in by slave colonies, Haiti had only one non-colonised neighbour, the slaveholding United States, which refused to recognise its independence."
The US, Germany and the UK constantly undermined Haiti, stealing its treasury by force on multiple occasions. In the 90's, the US destroyed all Haiti's indigenous swine and replaced them with US pigs, which furthered impoverishment since US pigs require high quality foods - not the first time the US has used this kind of tactic.
So...your claims are ill founded, without merit and wallowing in ignorance. How do you justify your manhood?
My manhood justifies itself using manly means.

“What's left to defend?”

Since: Jan 11

Freedom

#216818 Mar 5, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
I'm surprised you even know what Veggie Tales is.
You got a problem with Veggie Tales?
I have a problem with all attempts to indoctrinate children into cults.

“The Bible is no science book”

Since: Jan 08

Location hidden

#216819 Mar 5, 2014
waaasssuuup wrote:
<quoted text>
i would never challenge your heart or intentions, my brother, but i do like to challenge peoples understanding of the New Covenant, which has been in effect for the past 2000+ years.
can you provide NT instuction for a "Christian" to donate 10% of their income? i understand that it was a part of the Old Testament Jewish law regarding the funding of the temple and Levitical Priesthood, but i have never read such laws put upon the New Testament Church!
This preacher swears by it.

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#216820 Mar 5, 2014
Hidingfromyou wrote:
Your deity doesn't exist; it's just one deity belief among many.

Thanks for sharing your beliefs.
Your religion is only dangerous and damaging when it espouses and furthers ignorance.
What isn't?
You're welcome to believe it in the privacy of your own home, provided you aren't forcing your bizarre religious beliefs on others or harming your children via odd and damaging practices.
I don't like the term 'no offense' when someone's about to say done thing offensive, so I won't.

Fuckyou, I can practice my religion anywhere I want, not just in my home.

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#216821 Mar 5, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
Bull. The theory of evolution states that all life came from one life, the common ancestor. That cannot be tested
Hidingfromyou wrote:
Why can't it be tested?
How little you know of science!
Can it be tested?

Has it been tested?

I'd love to see your results.

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#216822 Mar 5, 2014
Tide with Beach wrote:
<quoted text>
Only away from god beliefs. Technically, atheism doesn't give you that direction. It is descriptive, not prescriptive.
<quoted text>
How does it (atheism) dictate anything?
Harris did not say that people should be killed for a belief. How do you account for this mistake? You keep making it.
<quoted text>
So insightful.
<quoted text>
It means that when you read "may be" you translate that into "should be".
Harris is wrong. There is no belief that "may" result in killing a person for that belief.

"Some beliefs are so dangerous that it may be ethical to kill people for believing them” Sam Harris

I still haven't seen an ethical reasoning for this nonsense.

I can believe or dream about shooting you all I want, that's very different from actually pointing a gun at you and pulling the trigger.

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#216823 Mar 5, 2014
Tide with Beach wrote:
<quoted text>
Are you conceding that you don't actually care what Sam Harris actually thinks or was trying to convey?
This....

"Some beliefs are so dangerous that it may be ethical to kill people for believing them”

...is not difficult to understand.

It's secular humanist ideology that's very dangerous to our freedoms.

“Rainbow: God's covenant ”

Since: May 07

Clearwater and Honolulu

#216824 Mar 5, 2014
Tide with Beach wrote:
<quoted text>
Right because as a so called reporter said recently on msnbc children don't only belong to the parents. When do you guys start up the reeducation centers?

“Rainbow: God's covenant ”

Since: May 07

Clearwater and Honolulu

#216825 Mar 5, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
This....
"Some beliefs are so dangerous that it may be ethical to kill people for believing them”
Agree. So I saw the recent postings on charity. My take is no amount would satisfy those that hate God. I was in a prayer group years ago and one guy gave another a car. He wanted no credit for it and the church never knew. Many times help is given in countless ways that doesn't make any report. But even if it did it wouldn't matter.

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#216826 Mar 5, 2014
Tide with Beach wrote:
<quoted text>
Don't fool yourself into thinking that you are exempt from indoctrination, if you do, you unwittingly make yourself even more liable to indoctrination. The same goes for atheists indoctrinating kids.

If atheism is the rejection of theism, then theism is the rejection of atheism and both can be indoctrinated into people.

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#216827 Mar 5, 2014
blacklagoon wrote:
<Buttcrack quote
"Peebob and I laughed like hyenas. As a Topix update, the atheists have a new guy I call Blue Baboon. He claims dinosaurs had no DNA."
Misquotes and lies constantly, and seems to be proud of it, but what more can you expect from the criminally insane, my actual post was:
"Prior to 1869 science had no idea that DNA existed. It was Johann Friedrich-Mieschur that discovered it and called it "nuclei" So, in the eyes of science, DNA did NOT exist prior to 1869."
It is impossible to know of something before it is discovered. There was a time when no one on the planet knew about microorganisms, AS FAR AS SCIENCE WAS CONCERNED MICROORGANISMS DID NOT EXIST.
blacklagoon wrote:
in the eyes of science, DNA did NOT exist prior to 1869
So dinosaurs had no DNA, in the eyes of science.

LMMFAO!

Since: Jul 09

Location hidden

#216828 Mar 5, 2014
Chris Clearwater wrote:
<quoted text>Agree. So I saw the recent postings on charity. My take is no amount would satisfy those that hate God. I was in a prayer group years ago and one guy gave another a car. He wanted no credit for it and the church never knew. Many times help is given in countless ways that doesn't make any report. But even if it did it wouldn't matter.
it is time that the church and it's parishioners paid their full fair share of taxes.

The USA should tax their churches and pay off the national debt.

Since: Oct 10

Location hidden

#216829 Mar 5, 2014
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
All religions have equal evidence to their claims?(should be "for" their claims)
I see you haven't gotten any smarter.
Judaism and Jedism have equal evidence?(The latter is a religion based on a 20th century fictional movie)
OK, then.
I'm thinking psychology might fit you into their definition of "insane", based on this one statement.
Jedism? Is that based on The Beverly Hillbillies?

Jim Varney was a national treasure.

“What's left to defend?”

Freedom

#216830 Mar 5, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
Harris is wrong. There is no belief that "may" result in killing a person for that belief.
People act in accordance with their beliefs.

The decision making process is highly reliant on beliefs and belief structures.

You must be thinking of a very different definition of "belief".
RiversideRedneck wrote:
"Some beliefs are so dangerous that it may be ethical to kill people for believing them” Sam Harris
You aren't looking.
RiversideRedneck wrote:
I can believe or dream about shooting you all I want, that's very different from actually pointing a gun at you and pulling the trigger.
Do you need a reason to pull the trigger? If you do, it will because of belief.

If every member of Al Qaeda changed their beliefs to Jainism, they would no longer pose a threat. They would transform from one of the biggest threats to mankind into no threat at all, because of a change in belief.
blacklagoon

Hyde Park, MA

#216831 Mar 5, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Given the opportunity would you have done everything in your power to stop the 9/11 attacks including killing? If your answer is yes, and no other answer is acceptable, then you would have killed for someones belief. The belief that this attack was the will of Allah, and that killing as many infidels as possible was a ticket to eternal bliss, is in fact a dangerous belief, and it would have been highly ethical to kill these people based on their "dangerous beliefs." We called the brave men who stormed the cockpit "heros" for their attempt to kill these religious fanatics.

So Sam Harris is correct, there are some beliefs that are so dangerous, that killing these people who not only hold these beliefs but act on them, would be considered necessary to preserve the lives of others.

Since: Oct 10

Location hidden

#216832 Mar 5, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Or you can see it as evidence that someone is trying to fool you into thinking that.
It's generally the snow pixies.

They work in mysterious ways.

Since: Sep 10

San Francisco, CA

#216833 Mar 5, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
I don't like the term 'no offense' when someone's about to say done thing offensive, so I won't.
Fuckyou, I can practice my religion anywhere I want, not just in my home.
WARNING

If we object to the Redneck's claim, be careful.

He has a tendency to become violent.
blacklagoon

Hyde Park, MA

#216834 Mar 5, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
<quoted text>
So dinosaurs had no DNA, in the eyes of science.
LMMFAO!
Playing stupid really does suit you.......Oh wait, your not really playing stupid are you!!!!

Prior to1869 no one on the face of the planet knew DNA existed, therefore, "As far as science was concerned, prior to 1869 DNA did not exist"

Of course science could have known about DNA, including dinosaurs if they could see into the past, via a time machine or crystal ball. Which do you think they used, be specific and provide documentation that supports either.

Now if you have other information that would allow scientists to peer into the past and discover DNA in Dinosaurs prior to 1869, please feel free to share it with us all Thanks

“What's left to defend?”

Freedom

#216835 Mar 5, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
This....
If it's not difficult to understand, explain your incomprehension.

I'll take you through the sentence, using what I know about Sam Harris' beliefs that you seem to be completely uninterested in.

"Some beliefs..." - not all beliefs - "...are so dangerous..." - they often lead to mass murder, and certainly instruct it - "...that it may be ethical..." - not always or even often, but in some limited circumstances might be ethical - "...to kill people for believing them..." - in those limited circumstances, to stop them from killing scores of innocents.

We can start addressing all the commands to kill from the Bible if you like.

“What's left to defend?”

Freedom

#216836 Mar 5, 2014
Chris Clearwater wrote:
Right because as a so called reporter said recently on msnbc children don't only belong to the parents. When do you guys start up the reeducation centers?
Brainwashed children don't usually require reprogramming therapy due to higher mental plasticity. Recovery can be achieved with far less effort in children than adults.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

NCAA Basketball Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Thousands Protest Roe V. Wade Decision (Jan '08) 4 min Brian_G 309,743
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 12 min RoxLo 1,223,690
News UCLA FOOTBALL NOTEBOOK: Neuheisel says Prince w... (Sep '10) 10 hr tom wingo 29,716
How to Recover Deleted or lost Contacts from Sa... Apr 29 Sauck freedom 6
News Freshman Jonah Bolden declared ineligible for U... (Sep '14) Apr 29 tom wingo 4
What role do you think humans play in global wa... (Sep '14) Apr 27 TerryE 5,306
News Kecoughtan High teacher resigns after drug charges (Nov '07) Apr 25 Yogurt Nads 82
More from around the web